Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 26203 times)

Edergilmour, James Mypetgiress and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #665 on: May 02, 2024, 08:14:47 PM »
I don't remember the I&W girl looking so pissed.

They did for The Astonishing, but that was only because what JP had in mind was something Hugh wasn't proficient at...

Creating something unique from scratch?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #666 on: May 02, 2024, 08:31:22 PM »
Exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #667 on: May 03, 2024, 01:34:00 AM »
Jokes aside, every artist is entitled to have their comfort zones and knowing what their abilities are; heck, even Brian May didn't want to play the flamenco solo in Innuendo and they got Steve Howe from Yes to do it.

Having said that, what kind of reply from a professional artist is "it's not the thing I usually do?"... imagine John Petrucci being asked to be a guest on an album and saying "nah, I'm more comfortable doing prog metal, I don't want to play a rock song".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #668 on: May 03, 2024, 06:40:19 AM »
There's no real art to it though. It's just colorforms.

So?  Unless you're Roger Dean or the aforementioned Mark Wilinson, there's no real art to ANY album, is there? 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #669 on: May 03, 2024, 10:59:44 AM »
So, The Prog Report are about to premiere a video on YT where they talk about their setlist predictions for the upcoming tour. MP commented on the Facebook post with:

This will be interesting! Curious how much of it you get right (as I’ve already written it 😉) Will watch tonite!
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #670 on: May 03, 2024, 11:40:56 AM »
So, The Prog Report are about to premiere a video on YT where they talk about their setlist predictions for the upcoming tour.
Nice! I had a chat with Kyle Fagala, one of the guys who participated, just hours before they filmed their discussion, so I'm also looking forward to it. One thing he did say is that they came to the conclusion that the new DT album wouldn't be out until after the first leg of the tour, which affected what they ultimately came up with. But the following day, we were chatting (which is when he told me that) and I pointed out that considering the time frames for ADToE (started on January 3, released September 12) and SFaM (started February 8, released on October 26), I expect the new one to be out by the end of September or beginning of October since they started work on it February 7.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #671 on: May 03, 2024, 11:45:14 AM »
So HoSo's real name is Kyle?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #672 on: May 03, 2024, 12:10:29 PM »
So HoSo's real name is Kyle?
No no no. Not understanding how you could've come up with that bizarre connection.  :huh:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #673 on: May 03, 2024, 12:11:31 PM »
Well, they're both operating on the notion that the album will not be out before the tour.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #674 on: May 03, 2024, 12:26:51 PM »
I am also of the idea that they'll try to release it before the tour. Hopefully that happens.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #675 on: May 03, 2024, 01:02:14 PM »
they kinda confirmed it will be out before the tour, when answering questions about schedule etc.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #676 on: May 03, 2024, 01:25:44 PM »
Well, they're both operating on the notion that the album will not be out before the tour.

WITH THE ADDENDUM THAT I HOPE I AM WRONG!! lolll :lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: May 03, 2024, 01:29:34 PM »
Nice! I had a chat with Kyle Fagala, one of the guys who participated, just hours before they filmed their discussion, so I'm also looking forward to it. One thing he did say is that they came to the conclusion that the new DT album wouldn't be out until after the first leg of the tour, which affected what they ultimately came up with. But the following day, we were chatting (which is when he told me that) and I pointed out that considering the time frames for ADToE (started on January 3, released September 12) and SFaM (started February 8, released on October 26), I expect the new one to be out by the end of September or beginning of October since they started work on it February 7.

I feel like the more important dates are from when the album is finished to when it's released.  It's May and as far as I understand, the album is not finished.  Also, I'm not following, but if there's production delays that could impact release dates.

Personally, I kind of feel like this is not going to be out before the tour, but it still seems possible.  But I've got to think the new single will be out by then and performed on the tour. 

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: May 03, 2024, 02:29:18 PM »
But what if they hadn't, sincerely and consciously, decided yet? Obviously, it's just a hypothesis, but they might be seeing if MP's return and the fact that it's the 40th-anniversary tour are enough to sell enough tickets.
If that were the case, then the card "new music to promote" could be played to further extend the tour once the anniversary thing has done its job.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #679 on: May 03, 2024, 02:44:37 PM »
If they didn't plan on having the album out by then, why only start the tour in October? Why not start it earlier?

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #680 on: May 03, 2024, 02:53:38 PM »
If they didn't plan on having the album out by then, why only start the tour in October? Why not start it earlier?

One possibility might be that Summer tours were already all booked up. I've had tickets for some shows this summer that I bought the ticket for long before DT-MP reunion was ever announced.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: May 03, 2024, 02:54:39 PM »

I believe they assumed that first and foremost they would have, in any case, written music together. Therefore, advancing the tour would have still meant aiming for the summer. And in the summer, you have two options: festivals or solo tours. And it's evident that the more lucrative option, leveraging Portnoy's return, is a solo tour. That's why I believe they chose to start in October and not earlier in any case.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: May 03, 2024, 02:56:03 PM »
And in the summer, you have two options: festivals or solo tours. And it's evident that the more lucrative option, leveraging Portnoy's return, is a solo tour. That's why I believe they chose to start in October and not earlier in any case.

This makes sense.

Offline genome

« Reply #683 on: May 03, 2024, 04:00:53 PM »
O2 Arena availability looking pretty low now

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: May 03, 2024, 06:02:34 PM »
Jokes aside, every artist is entitled to have their comfort zones and knowing what their abilities are; heck, even Brian May didn't want to play the flamenco solo in Innuendo and they got Steve Howe from Yes to do it.

Actually, that came about simply to a chance meeting of mutual friends

https://brianmay.com/queen-news/queen-features/2022/06/on-the-spot-steve-howe/

and

https://www.loudersound.com/features/queen-innuendo-single-steve-howe-interview
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #685 on: May 03, 2024, 10:13:22 PM »
I believe they assumed that first and foremost they would have, in any case, written music together. Therefore, advancing the tour would have still meant aiming for the summer. And in the summer, you have two options: festivals or solo tours. And it's evident that the more lucrative option, leveraging Portnoy's return, is a solo tour. That's why I believe they chose to start in October and not earlier in any case.
Right, but you're missing the point. My argument is that they would have the album released before the tour starts. Had they wanted to do a warm up tour beforehand, then they would have been better off doing what they did in 2005, 2007, 2009 and 2011 before starting each tour properly: do a mix of festivals and headlining gigs in B-markets throughout Europe during the summer, which is a great way to get the band name out into the public eye - especially to those who weren't fans yet. That in turn would help them have turnouts much better than otherwise when they started the proper support tour for the new album. But they're not doing that this time. So besides the similar time periods to SFaM and ADToE, the beginning of the tour in October to me is clear evidence that the album will be out by then. Plus MP's final comment in that recent Rolling Stone interview that the full band did was
It’s scary because, under normal circumstances, it takes a bunch of shows to get your sea legs back. But in this case, we need to hit the ground running. That first show is going to be dissected with a magnifying glass in the age of YouTube. We can’t suck. The pressure’s on.
I may be reading into it, but that to me says they're not doing any warm up legs this time around, but that the proper tour starts in October 2024, complete with the new album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: May 03, 2024, 11:15:11 PM »
O2 Arena availability looking pretty low now

The upper tier still isn't on sale, is it?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #687 on: May 03, 2024, 11:17:46 PM »
Plus MP's final comment in that recent Rolling Stone interview that the full band did was I may be reading into it, but that to me says they're not doing any warm up legs this time around, but that the proper tour starts in October 2024, complete with the new album.

Given the way they're promoting that show and trying to get people from all around the world to attend, I don't think there's any way they could get away with doing a warm up show, never mind a warm up leg.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #688 on: May 04, 2024, 05:03:57 AM »
Actually, that came about simply to a chance meeting of mutual friends

https://brianmay.com/queen-news/queen-features/2022/06/on-the-spot-steve-howe/

and

https://www.loudersound.com/features/queen-innuendo-single-steve-howe-interview

Thanks! I stand corrected then, I always knew the story as Brian not being sure he could do it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #689 on: May 04, 2024, 05:20:57 AM »
^
I'd heard Brian's ever so humble (more forgetful? ;)) version years before, so that's no surprise.

Anyhoo, thought the Queen and Yes fans here would enjoy that great story.  DT fans as well...

On to the matter at hand:  hoping for at least a couple of releases from the new album before the tour.  And hope that MP hits mostly home runs with the set list.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline genome

« Reply #690 on: May 04, 2024, 05:58:14 AM »
The upper tier still isn't on sale, is it?

No, but I think they will start to open it soon, the lower tiers and floor looks nearly gone

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #691 on: May 04, 2024, 07:57:36 AM »
This. They announced the reunion back in October, DT has been inactive since the last Dreamsonic show in the summer and MP just had a few live commitments sprinkled in since then. Imo they had plenty of opportunities to book a summer tour immediately and clearly decided not to for the sole reason of ensuring the album is done before the tour. Otherwise they would be seriously crunched for time as the first show would probably be happening within weeks. I see no other reason to wait until October to start playing shows again.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #692 on: May 04, 2024, 11:53:20 AM »
MP on FB said that the setlist is basically done.

Not surprised, he had the Score setlist locked since many months before the show.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #693 on: May 04, 2024, 12:22:19 PM »
My prediction is that the setlist will have The Majesty or Another One from Majesty demos. I think Mike Portnoy won't miss the opportunity to play a 40 years-old song to mark the anniversary.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: May 04, 2024, 12:46:29 PM »
This. They announced the reunion back in October, DT has been inactive since the last Dreamsonic show in the summer and MP just had a few live commitments sprinkled in since then. Imo they had plenty of opportunities to book a summer tour immediately and clearly decided not to for the sole reason of ensuring the album is done before the tour. Otherwise they would be seriously crunched for time as the first show would probably be happening within weeks. I see no other reason to wait until October to start playing shows again.

It's very possible they couldn't get onto a summer tour, these things are booked so far in advance. They likely needed that in motion before MP rejoined.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #695 on: May 04, 2024, 01:19:29 PM »
My prediction is that the setlist will have The Majesty or Another One from Majesty demos. I think Mike Portnoy won't miss the opportunity to play a 40 years-old song to mark the anniversary.

As neat as it would be to see them play "Your Majesty" or "Another Won", that's probably not going to happen. At least, not as full songs, but it'd be neat if they did an instrumental medley of various Majesty songs lumped together. Cuz we all know JP *loves* medleys.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online devieira73

« Reply #696 on: May 04, 2024, 01:30:41 PM »
As neat as it would be to see them play "Your Majesty" or "Another Won", that's probably not going to happen. At least, not as full songs, but it'd be neat if they did an instrumental medley of various Majesty songs lumped together. Cuz we all know JP *loves* medleys.  :lol

-Marc.

Well, I think the main problem is James' ability to sing any of these songs. But maybe an instrumental medley is the solution to that! More or less what Rush did on the R30 tour, opening those shows. We all know JP hates medleys, but in this specific situation and considering they're not songs from the "official" albums, I can see him being okay with it. Anyway I can't imagine  MP ignoring the Majesty era on this tour.

Online devieira73

« Reply #697 on: May 04, 2024, 01:42:21 PM »
I mean, acknowledging properly the Majesty era, not  throwing only 5 seconds at end of the last song of the show.

Online devieira73

« Reply #698 on: May 04, 2024, 01:43:51 PM »
The Majesty and Another One  :facepalm: :D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #699 on: May 04, 2024, 01:54:06 PM »
Anyway I can't imagine  MP ignoring the Majesty era on this tour.

I don't think I can either. It would be a nice surprise.