Author Topic: "The Official' The National THREAD!  (Read 805 times)

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
"The Official' The National THREAD!
« on: September 18, 2023, 08:18:57 AM »
"The Boys" are back again with not just one but TWO albums for us in 2023. Sinking my teeth into the new one, Laugh Track now, but what are everyone's thoughts on The National's 2023 albums???

Here's a little review I wrote for their last banger, "First Two Pages Of Frankenstiff":

the overall mood and atmosphere of the album is vintage national. they've always had this knack for creating a sense of melancholy and introspection in their music, and that's definitely present here. it's like they've taken a step back from the more upbeat sound of their last album and returned to their roots. the lyrics, as expected, are beautifully crafted. matt berninger's storytelling ability is on full display, and his lyrics are filled with vivid imagery and emotional depth. he's always had a way of making even the most mundane moments feel profound, and that's no different on this album. musically, "first two pages of frankenstein" is a bit more stripped-down compared to some of their previous work. the instrumentation feels more restrained, with a focus on acoustic guitar and piano, which adds to the overall sense of intimacy. there are still those signature moments of catharsis and grandeur, but they're used more sparingly, which gives them even more impact.

one thing that stood out to me on this album is the way they experiment with different sounds and textures. tracks like "electric hum of the city" and "subway station at 3 am" incorporate electronic elements in a way that feels fresh and unexpected for the national. it's a nice departure from their usual sound and shows their willingness to evolve. the pacing of the album is also worth noting. it flows seamlessly from one track to the next, creating a cohesive listening experience. it's the kind of album that you want to listen to from start to finish, as each song feels like a chapter in a larger story. if i had to pick a standout track, it would probably be "ghosts of my youth." the combination of berninger's poignant lyrics and the haunting melody is simply breathtaking. it's a song that lingers in your mind long after you've finished listening.

overall, "first two pages of frankenstein" is a strong addition to the national's discography. while it may not have the immediate catchiness of some of their previous albums, it's a grower. the more you listen, the more it reveals its depth and beauty. if you're a fan of the band's earlier work and don't mind a slower, more contemplative pace, this album is definitely worth a listen.

harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

Re: "The Official' The National THREAD!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:03:30 AM »
Gotta be honest, 'The First Two Pages of Frankenstein' didn't quite hit the mark for me. It felt a bit on the boring and samey side, but there's this one track, 'Eucalyptus,' that I kinda vibed with. Still, didn't capture the essence like their older stuff did.

Now, 'Laugh Track' was a step up, in my opinion. Enjoyed it more than the first one, but it's still not reaching the level of their classics.

Here's my personal ranking of their albums:

1. 'Boxer'
2. 'High Violet'
3. 'Sleep Well Beast'
4. 'Trouble Will Find Me'
5. 'Alligator'
6. 'I Am Easy to Find'
7. 'Laugh Track'
8. 'The First Two Pages of Frankenstein'

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »
Btw hoveringsoldier, I was reading your review and noticed a few song titles that I'm not familiar with and am pretty sure aren't on the album. Are you perhaps referring to songs or albums by a different artist that you might have mixed up with The National's?

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 09:57:35 AM »
Btw hoveringsoldier, I was reading your review and noticed a few song titles that I'm not familiar with and am pretty sure aren't on the album. Are you perhaps referring to songs or albums by a different artist that you might have mixed up with The National's?

it's not because i'm stuck in the past or trying to be retro, but because those were the working titles for the songs when i got my hands on a promo copy of the album for review. i know it can be confusing, especially when you're used to referring to songs by their official titles, but sometimes bands change things up at the last minute. it's not uncommon in the music industry, and it can happen for various reasons - maybe they didn't feel the original titles fit the vibe of the album, or perhaps they wanted to keep an element of surprise for the listeners.

so, when i wrote that post, i was just going by the information i had at the time. i didn't mean to confuse anyone, and i appreciate those who pointed out the discrepancies. i totally get that it's important to use the correct titles to avoid any misunderstandings.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 10:55:13 AM »

I recently had the pleasure of immersing myself in The National's latest masterpiece, "Laugh Track," and I must say, it's an album that exemplifies the band's growth and depth. From start to finish, "Laugh Track" is a captivating journey through a myriad of emotions and musical landscapes.

One of the standout tracks on this album has to be "Tides of Time." The hauntingly beautiful melody, combined with Matt Berninger's signature baritone vocals, creates a sense of melancholic nostalgia that is simply unforgettable. It's a song that lingers in your mind long after the last note fades away.

Another gem on the album is "City Lights." This track showcases The National's ability to craft introspective and thought-provoking lyrics. The poignant storytelling in this song is complemented by a lush arrangement that builds to an anthemic chorus, making it an instant favorite.

And then there's "Eternal Echoes," a song that perfectly captures the band's ability to convey raw emotion through their music. The lyrics are deeply introspective, and the music carries a sense of yearning that resonates on a profound level. It's a track that tugs at the heartstrings and leaves you in contemplation.

Throughout "Laugh Track," The National continues to explore themes of love, loss, and the complexities of human existence. The band's musicianship is top-notch, with intricate arrangements that reveal new layers upon each listen. Matt Berninger's vocals are as hauntingly evocative as ever, and the chemistry among the band members is palpable.

In a musical landscape filled with fleeting trends and superficiality, "Laugh Track" stands as a testament to The National's enduring artistry. It's an album that rewards repeated listens, unveiling its subtleties and nuances over time. Whether you're a longtime fan or new to The National's music, "Laugh Track" is an essential addition to your collection. It's a testament to the band's ability to craft emotionally resonant music that leaves a lasting impact, and it cements their place as one of the most important and influential bands of our time.

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 12:02:37 PM »
Non of these songs are real, what is going on  ???

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 12:04:15 PM »
maybe soupytwist got an advance copy too  :police:
Welcome to the Forums!

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 12:07:21 PM »
Gotta be honest, 'The First Two Pages of Frankenstein' didn't quite hit the mark for me. It felt a bit on the boring and samey side, but there's this one track, 'Eucalyptus,' that I kinda vibed with. Still, didn't capture the essence like their older stuff did.

Now, 'Laugh Track' was a step up, in my opinion. Enjoyed it more than the first one, but it's still not reaching the level of their classics.

Here's my personal ranking of their albums:

1. 'Boxer'
2. 'High Violet'
3. 'Sleep Well Beast'
4. 'Trouble Will Find Me'
5. 'Alligator'
6. 'I Am Easy to Find'
7. 'Laugh Track'
8. 'The First Two Pages of Frankenstein'

this is a great ranking and totally aligns with my ranking as well. hard to top an album with Fake Empire on it
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 01:30:49 PM »

Maybe that.  Or maybe we both used AI to write a review. 

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2023, 01:42:47 PM »
pretty rude accusation to be honest. not really nice to accuse someone of that without evidence. please keep negativity and false slander out of this thread since i'd like to keep it positive and only around the national discussion

i'm not going to respond to that but will instead focus on positive discussion about one of the better bands of our day the national. one element that might be a bit controversial since she's not the most popular gal around these parts is the national's connection with taylor swift. obv Taylor covered Fake Empire long ago (2010 i think?) but beyond the obvious turns they are taking producing and writing for each other there's also a thematic connection between taylor swift and the national. both artists are known for their introspective and often confessional lyrics. they delve into complex emotions, dissecting the intricacies of relationships and personal experiences. while their musical styles may differ, the depth of their songwriting resonates with audiences on a profound level.

what do you guys think?

Welcome to the Forums!

Offline PMSummer

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 02:01:43 PM »

Maybe that.  Or maybe we both used AI to write a review.
A robot can write a review now? I'm getting too old to keep up with all this. Guess it's not the smartest AI if it doesn't even know what the songs are called.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 02:44:34 PM »
pretty rude accusation to be honest. not really nice to accuse someone of that without evidence. please keep negativity and false slander out of this thread since i'd like to keep it positive and only around the national discussion

i'm not going to respond to that but will instead focus on positive discussion about one of the better bands of our day the national. one element that might be a bit controversial since she's not the most popular gal around these parts is the national's connection with taylor swift. obv Taylor covered Fake Empire long ago (2010 i think?) but beyond the obvious turns they are taking producing and writing for each other there's also a thematic connection between taylor swift and the national. both artists are known for their introspective and often confessional lyrics. they delve into complex emotions, dissecting the intricacies of relationships and personal experiences. while their musical styles may differ, the depth of their songwriting resonates with audiences on a profound level.

what do you guys think?

https://consequence.net/2023/01/the-national-first-two-pages-of-frankenstein-2023-tour/

January the 18th The National first announce 'The First Two Pages of Frankenstein' with the same tracklisting it got released with 3 months later in April. 

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 03:07:59 PM »
already said i got an advance copy bud. please stop with the accusations and baiting in my thread. going to report further harassment to the mods. if you don't have any discussion around the national to contribute, please go post elsewhere  :loser:
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 03:19:27 PM »
Yeah you got an advanced copy with nonsensical song titles before the album was even announced  :mehlin

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2023, 06:08:27 PM »
already said i got an advance copy bud. please stop with the accusations and baiting in my thread. going to report further harassment to the mods. if you don't have any discussion around the national to contribute, please go post elsewhere  :loser:

Honest question here: is there a reason you write exclusively in lower case?

If it's an artistic decision, then you do you. But if you are writing reviews, it's a curious choice to not employ basic sentence structure.

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 08:09:24 AM »

If it's an artistic decision, then you do you. But if you are writing reviews, it's a curious choice to not employ basic sentence structure.

it's just what i do! no explanation/reason. i'm like ee cummings i guess

if i were to attempt to actually get my reviews put in blogs and journals and whatnot i would edit them properly for those formats but in my fun corner of my mind and the few people i share it with keeping it in my normal way of writing casually feels best
Welcome to the Forums!

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2023, 08:12:59 AM »

if i were to attempt to actually get my reviews put in blogs and journals and whatnot i would edit them properly for those formats but in my fun corner of my mind and the few people i share it with keeping it in my normal way of writing casually feels best

Fair enough.

I would offer, however, that it makes for an incredibly difficult read.

If you write simply for yourself, and you have no intention of sharing it with others, then, of course, you need not heed rules or conventions.

If you are looking to share with others, however, as you are here, on this public forum, I feel like your 'casual' form of writing dilutes and obfuscates your thoughts.

Just my two cents ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2023, 09:31:49 AM »

Fair enough.

I would offer, however, that it makes for an incredibly difficult read.

If you write simply for yourself, and you have no intention of sharing it with others, then, of course, you need not heed rules or conventions.

If you are looking to share with others, however, as you are here, on this public forum, I feel like your 'casual' form of writing dilutes and obfuscates your thoughts.

Just my two cents ;D
I would tend to agree.

e.e. cummings wrote poetry, and that was their style, which is easier to digest in that context.

Prose written in that style is, well, unpleasant.

Again, that's MY two cents.  You do you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2023, 11:14:25 AM »
maybe i should take up writing poetry for my posts  :lol

here we are
we all agree
to love dee tee
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2023, 11:21:54 AM »
I like Aaron Dessner's work on the Local Natives album Hummingbird.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2023, 12:19:38 PM »
maybe i should take up writing poetry for my posts  :lol

here we are
we all agree
to love dee tee
:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2023, 04:24:21 PM »
man, i've spun laugh track a few more times and it just isn't cutting it for me like frankeinstiff did
Welcome to the Forums!