Author Topic: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)  (Read 453253 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Pain of Salvation thread, v.2 (merged)
« Reply #2030 on: February 10, 2014, 08:09:07 AM »
Interesting news about PoS, Daniel's health, and the Progressive Nation gig:  From Daniel and PoS's FB page...

Pain of Salvation forced to leave Daniel at home for PN14 cruise.

As most of you may already know, Daniel recently underwent a series of surgeries after having contracted a very serious bacterial infection (Necrotising Fasciitis, aka "flesh-eating bacteria"). We all hoped for a quick comeback and that he would make it in time for the Prog Nation At Sea cruise. Unfortunately, while his life isn't in any danger, the healing process will take much longer than expected. Now, after four weeks, he is still in the hospital, having to be put under with general anesthesia every second day for wound care.

This of course put us in a very difficult position, but when Daniel suggested that we go through with the show without him, we rose to the challenge, dead set on doing the best of the situation. So, in mutual agreement we have opted to go ahead with the gig and make it a very special one. We don't want to let those of you who come to see us down. We understand that this might still come as a disappointment to some, but we can assure you that we'll do our very best to put on a show that Daniel would be very proud of.

Daniel: "As much at it kills me, not being able to go, I know they can pull off a great gig. Ragnar (Zolberg, also front man of Icelandic band Sign) will be the main lead singer with his fantastic voice, and then we have Léo, who sings beautifully too, and Clay Withrow (front man of US band Vangough) stepping in to save us again with his singing and guitar playing. I'm really happy that they're doing this, and I really urge all fans to watch this show! If nothing else, than do it for me – I would love to see it myself!" 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2031 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
Oh wow. Being put under every other day for wound care, crazy.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2032 on: February 10, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty intense, poor guy. :(

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2033 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:33 AM »
Geez. How do you get that?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2034 on: February 10, 2014, 10:59:37 AM »
Apparently it's not that hard to get exposed to risk of getting it.

wiki:
ources of MRSA may include eating undercooked contaminated meats,[9] working at municipal waste water treatment plants, exposure to secondary waste water spray irrigation,[10] consuming raw products produced from farm fields fertilized by human sewage sludge or septage, in hospital settings from patients of weakened immune systems,[11] or sharing/using dirty needles.[12] The risk of infection during regional anaesthesia is considered to be very low, though reported.[13]

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2035 on: February 11, 2014, 04:50:41 AM »
That's awful, hopefully he gets better and makes a full recovery.

Interesting and ballsy that the band to still go ahead with the show.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2036 on: February 11, 2014, 08:15:32 AM »
Just when you thought Pain Of Salvation couldn't get any less Pain Of Salvation :lol no disrespect to the band members, but it says a lot that, when Dani is temporarily gone, they put together a lineup where basically the longest serving member's been there since 2010, and none of the others ever played on a studio recording, the dude who's singing and playing guitar instead of Dani hasn't even played on all of the tours since he arrived, and the other guitarist is now jumping on as a replacement for the second time.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2037 on: February 11, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
Just when you thought Pain Of Salvation couldn't get any less Pain Of Salvation :lol no disrespect to the band members, but it says a lot that, when Dani is temporarily gone, they put together a lineup where basically the longest serving member's been there since 2010, and none of the others ever played on a studio recording, the dude who's singing and playing guitar instead of Dani hasn't even played on all of the tours since he arrived, and the other guitarist is now jumping on as a replacement for the second time.
If anyone at the cruise used to be a fan but hasn't been paying attention to PoS for the last 3-4 years, they are going to be so confused. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2038 on: February 11, 2014, 03:51:57 PM »
I look forward to hearing back from those of you who see them on the cruise, and that it's not too much of a disappointment
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
I don't think it'll be a disappointment, as all of them are very talented, but, in lineup, it's as much Pain Of Salvation as Adrenaline Mob is Dream Theater.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2040 on: February 11, 2014, 06:19:34 PM »
In some ways, I wish they would have just cancelled.   But since PoS is to Daniel what NiN is to Trent Reznor....and it *was* Daniel's idea, and he's not quitting PoS, he's just ensuring the already scheduled gig will go on in spite of his inability to join up.

This one gig just has SO MANY extenuating circumstances, that in my mind, I find myself giving it a pass in spite of my reservations.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2041 on: February 11, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
OTOH...the conspiracy theorists can start making claims that Daniel "must have REALLY NOT wanted to play Remedy Lane!"   :rollin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2042 on: February 12, 2014, 04:22:49 AM »
They're playing Remedy Lane on ProgPower USA, so he hasn't gotten out of it just yet :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2043 on: February 12, 2014, 04:32:00 AM »
Has he said something against RL?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2044 on: February 12, 2014, 06:19:34 AM »
They're playing Remedy Lane on ProgPower USA, so he hasn't gotten out of it just yet :lol

OOOOOHHHH....ok, my bad.

No...not really.   I think has said things more to the effect of not being a fan of playing albums in their entirety.  But I could be remembering that wrong too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2045 on: February 12, 2014, 12:15:24 PM »
That is weird, but its his band.  Its odd because he's like the only founding member and him not being there playing would make it sound like a band covering PoS.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2046 on: February 15, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
It just occurred to me, it's been a while since POS have released a new album. Obviously Daniel's sickness would slow something like that down, but I haven't heard anything about future plans, as far as I can recall.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2047 on: February 17, 2014, 06:18:22 AM »
That is weird, but its his band.  Its odd because he's like the only founding member and him not being there playing would make it sound like a band covering PoS.

I agree. Gildenlow is why I love PoS. His vocals are the thing I seem to focus in on the most in nearly all of their tracks. I would be devastated to go see PoS and him not be there, I don't know much about the band's history regarding personnel etc. but I've heard there's been a lot of shifting around. It would be sad for the lynchpin to be absent and yes, sound like a covers band.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »
On the contrary, Gildenlow is a helluva singer, but he's basically the reason I don't like PoS anymore.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2049 on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
I'm a bit divided on the topic. On one side I do like him, and I think he's a great frontman for the band, but on the other hand, I really don't care for the direction they have been going in lately. I liked Road Salt Two, but Be is the last amazing album they have released imo. If we get another Road Salt-like album, I would be really underwhelmed.

Daniel seems like one of the people who changes his mind very often about what he wants to do with music, and it can be frustrating as a fan sometimes. One day he looks back at their discography and is very happy with it, and the next day he doesn't want to do a "modern" progressive album ever again.

I hope PoS return with another amazing album, but I don't think they will. They will probably continue making good things, but with only Daniel left, they have lost a huge part of what made the band so unique.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2050 on: February 17, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
My favourite albums from their back catalogue are The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane, but I absolutely adore both Road Salts too, possibly more consistently than the earlier albums. If they came back with something along the veins of the Road Salts I'd be thrilled, so many of my favourite PoS tracks reside on those albums.

But then again I don't really get BE at all, much to the confusion of nearly every other PoS fan I know. I just don't get why it's so great :P
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2051 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:57 AM »
My favourite albums from their back catalogue are The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane, but I absolutely adore both Road Salts too, possibly more consistently than the earlier albums. If they came back with something along the veins of the Road Salts I'd be thrilled, so many of my favourite PoS tracks reside on those albums.

But then again I don't really get BE at all, much to the confusion of nearly every other PoS fan I know. I just don't get why it's so great :P

The concept is why I like BE, plus it has the best song ever Vocari Dei. But,  since I listened to BE live first I prefer it than the studio, it just breathes more and makes the concept come alive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #2052 on: February 17, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
No...not really.   I think has said things more to the effect of not being a fan of playing albums in their entirety.  But I could be remembering that wrong too.

...or that he isn't into progressive metal so much anymore.

Daniel seems like one of the people who changes his mind very often about what he wants to do with music, and it can be frustrating as a fan sometimes. One day he looks back at their discography and is very happy with it, and the next day he doesn't want to do a "modern" progressive album ever again.

ya, pretty much this.

now that I think of it, I haven't wished him well in this thread (though I have elsewhere, and even in other threads on this forum)...that being said...GET WELL, BUD! hope youre doing okay.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2053 on: May 13, 2014, 05:47:35 AM »
I just saw this on Daniel Gildenlöw's Facebook page:

"I very seldom write statuses on work process. Why? Because that's boring content for FB. But today I must let you guys know I have finished the Falling Home CD, and the live DVD "The Great Unravelling" audio is just now being bounced! So, album mixes DONE. Live CD mixes DONE. DVD stereo mix DONE. DVD Surround mix DONE! Aaaaah, this feels so gooooood! :) "

Maybe I'm alone but...am I the only one only just hearing about these projects just now? I had no idea anything was going on in PoS land.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: May 13, 2014, 05:54:52 AM »
Yeah, I have no idea what these are, anyone?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2055 on: May 13, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »
I heard a while ago that they were working on an acoustic album of older songs, around the time when they played a couple of older "classics" in new versions. I believe that this was "Falling Home", something like what Anathema did on Hindsight and Falling Deeper, old songs rearranged in new versions. I might have it mixed up though, maybe it was the live album that was acoustic versions and Falling Home was something else. They haven't posted a lot of updates so I just remember hearing about it briefly.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2056 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27:31 AM »
I heard a while ago that they were working on an acoustic album of older songs, around the time when they played a couple of older "classics" in new versions. I believe that this was "Falling Home", something like what Anathema did on Hindsight and Falling Deeper, old songs rearranged in new versions. I might have it mixed up though, maybe it was the live album that was acoustic versions and Falling Home was something else. They haven't posted a lot of updates so I just remember hearing about it briefly.  :lol

This doesn't excite me at all. 

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2057 on: May 13, 2014, 07:52:09 AM »
Yeah, if it is indeed an acoustic/unplugged album of old songs, I agree. It's been some time since Road Salt now, and I feel like the state of the band overall right now is kinda "meh". I did like Road Salt Two, but the last three releases have been lackluster compared to their older stuff, and right now I want that next great studio album, not old stuff reworked.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2058 on: May 13, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »
For what I understood, those live versions of older songs were just that for the tour they did last year. They played a new song called - indeed - 'Falling Home' and I can remember Gildenlöw mentioning that it would be released on a Pain of Salvation CD with acoustic songs only. That said, no, it doesn't really excite me either.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2059 on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I dunno, I absolutely love 12:5, which is the same sort of thing. So one hand, I like the idea, on the other hand, they've pretty much already done that. Quite unusual for DG to be retreading old ground.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2060 on: May 13, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Maybe he's finally realized he can't write good songs so he's doing the prog version of selling out? :)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2061 on: May 13, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
I love 12:5 (I would say it's one of my favorite live albums easily), but they have already done that. And part of why it's so magical is because it's live. So IF it's a studio album with the same concept.. meh. But yeah, been 3 years since RS2 now. I feel like it's time for another studio album, and hopefully something closer to the old stuff than the RS albums.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #2062 on: May 13, 2014, 12:32:11 PM »
Road Salt 1 and 2 are fantastic albums. I really enjoy how diverse PoS are, my favorite being 'BE'

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2063 on: May 13, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Road Salt 1 and 2 are fantastic albums. I really enjoy how diverse PoS are, my favorite being 'BE'
I agree with every word in this post.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2064 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:02 PM »

Be is so damn good.