Author Topic: Next Dreamsonic lineup?  (Read 6279 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Next Dreamsonic lineup?
« on: July 24, 2023, 05:53:35 PM »
This year's lineup was a absolute blast to see. I hope they keep doing this to celebrate and promote progressive rock/metal for year's to come. I personally wouldn't mind if Devin was a permanent resident on this bill along with Dream Theater.
If it keeps happening, what bands would you all like to see included on the next round?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: Next Dreamsonic lineup?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 05:56:01 PM »
Would love to have Periphery and then a band I am less familiar with but am curious about...maybe Haken or Meshuggah????

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 07:45:15 PM »
I think Haken would be a great fit for this :tup

If Fates Warning ever do anything again, that'd be a nice one too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
Also Pain of Salvation! I've always wanted to give them a try but haven't

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 09:07:52 PM »
Symphony X would be awesome, and perhaps Tesseract or Haken.
Since DT and Mike Portnoy are on good terms now, why not the Neal Morse Band. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 09:32:31 PM »
I would love NMB to get some more mainstream coverage with a tour like this. They're too good to be as small as they are.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 10:24:56 PM »
I would love for Devin to come back.

Periphery, BTBAM, or Meshuggah are a bit on the extreme side but they are some of the biggest prog metal bands out there... though maybe too big. I don't really think BTBAM or Meshuggah would want to open for Dream Theater since they've both been doing just fine headlining for over a decade now.

I think it'd be awesome if they brought Thank You Scientist along. They're proggy, not too extreme, and still rising in popularity as far as I can tell. The exposure would be great for them, especially since their live shows are so fun they win pretty much everyone over who sees them.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 10:38:09 PM »
LTE, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline NoFred

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 11:34:15 PM »
Expand it just a bit - go with two “openers” 30m each, then 50m of a mid band (or two), and two 90m co-headliners. Make it a half day for those that want it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 12:17:50 AM »
I would love NMB to get some more mainstream coverage with a tour like this. They're too good to be as small as they are.
Agreed!  💯

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 01:05:51 AM »
The next best thing I would like to see is...

Dream Theater
Redemption
Haken

I also would like...

Dream Theater
Haken
Thank You Scientist

But seeing as how this was basically a North American band type of lineup...

Dream Theater
Between The Buried and Me
Thank You Scientist

Would be damn amazing...

I also wouldn't mind

Dream Theater
Redemption
Between The Buried and Me/Thank You Scientist/Periphery

Dream Theater
Symphony X
Thank You Scientist would also be good...

Man so many choices that would be awesome for the next one....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 03:11:36 AM »

Symphony X
Evergrey
Dream Theater

Offline efx

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2023, 03:39:21 AM »
Haken
Symphony X
Dream Theater

I would travel for that show.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2023, 04:17:59 AM »
Some different versions:

Dream Theater
Haken
Fates Warning

Dream Theater
Tesseract
Periphery

Dream Theater
Opeth
Leprous

Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside

Offline Mladen

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2023, 04:33:53 AM »
Dream Theater
Haken
Thank You Scientist
I'd love this. Also, please bring it to Europe.  ;D

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2023, 05:00:19 AM »
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Temic

Offline Trav86

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2023, 05:19:38 AM »
Some different versions:

Dream Theater
Haken
Fates Warning

Dream Theater
Tesseract
Periphery

Dream Theater
Opeth
Leprous

Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside

You're speaking my language now!
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2023, 05:55:02 AM »
Some different versions:

Dream Theater
Haken
Fates Warning

Dream Theater
Tesseract
Periphery

Dream Theater
Opeth
Leprous

Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside

I probably don't go to any of those.   Maybe the first one, to see Fates Warning, but I'm eating hot dogs in the mezzanine during Haken.  :)

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2023, 05:58:16 AM »
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
Temic
I thought about Temic as well, but I need to hear their album before making that choice. Having Eric Gillette on the bill would be damn awesome though. Especially if he came out and jammed side by side with Petrucci for the final encore like Tosin Abasi did on this run. 
Of course Michael Romeo would be epic too if Symphony X was there. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2023, 06:11:30 AM »
I think Eric Gillette's new band, TEMEC, is 1,000 times more likely than Neal Morse Band.  Regardless of how good a terms they are on these days, I don't see any way that Mike Portnoy would agree to going on a tour with Dream Theater where one of his bands is "opening" for his old band.  And I don't blame him.

NMB touring on their own as a headline act is far more preferable (and I would imagine most fans of the band would agree). 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2023, 06:28:49 AM »
I think Eric Gillette's new band, TEMEC, is 1,000 times more likely than Neal Morse Band.  Regardless of how good a terms they are on these days, I don't see any way that Mike Portnoy would agree to going on a tour with Dream Theater where one of his bands is "opening" for his old band.  And I don't blame him. 
I see your point for sure. Unless perhaps it was a co-headlining bill, and yes the NMB is that good.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 06:57:27 AM »

NMB touring on their own as a headline act is far more preferable (and I would imagine most fans of the band would agree).

Maybe Sons of Ap... oh wait...
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2023, 07:22:02 AM »
I see your point for sure. Unless perhaps it was a co-headlining bill, and yes the NMB is that good.
But they aren't that BIG, which is the only thing that matters in such a situation.

I agree that NMB is a no-go.

Other than Haken, I think some other nice choices would be The Ocean or Nospun. 

An inspired choice would be an instrumental band from a different genre, Snarky Puppy.  They don't do prog or metal, but there is plenty of virtuoso musicianship and odd time signatures, and creative structures and arrangements, so I would imagine there is a lot of overlap of fanbase.  Although, realistically, Snarky Puppy would probably be the headliner of that lineup.  Or they could co-headline.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2023, 07:29:15 AM »
Some different versions:

Dream Theater
Haken
Fates Warning

Dream Theater
Tesseract
Periphery

Dream Theater
Opeth
Leprous

Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside

I probably don't go to any of those.   Maybe the first one, to see Fates Warning, but I'm eating hot dogs in the mezzanine during Haken.  :)

Haken would be one of those bands where I’d try and get in for last few songs just to see.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2023, 08:46:38 AM »
My dream would be to see Firewind open for Dream Theater.

I know they're not technically in the prog metal genre (though they may have been moreso while they still had their keyboard player), but if DT is my #1, then Firewind is #1.5. For me this would be nearly too much awesome to take in one evening. 🔥✨

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2023, 08:55:54 AM »

I know they're not technically in the prog metal genre (though they may have been moreso while they still had their keyboard player), but if DT is my #1, then Firewind is #1.5. For me this would be nearly too much awesome to take in one evening. 🔥✨

Pretty sure if this was ever proposed, their former keyboard player (Bob Katsionis) would return to the band :lol

Offline smegolas

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2023, 08:56:23 AM »

1000% this. Neal Morse is fantastic. Neal, Devin, and DT would be epic. And you know, I think Portnoy would be cool with this. He'd probably get to jam with DT for the encore - one more chance to play with them. Would be big for ticket sales.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2023, 09:00:12 AM »

Dream Theater
Haken
Circus Maximus

Dream Theater
Haken
The Neal Morse Band

Symphony X would be great as well.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2023, 09:05:10 AM »
I think DT plus bands that aren’t DT clones or hugely inspired by DT would be better. Seems a bit bland for all the bands to be really similar.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2023, 09:39:26 AM »

Pretty sure if this was ever proposed, their former keyboard player (Bob Katsionis) would return to the band :lol

That would be amazing!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
Icefish recently starter playing live again and supposedly were going to start working on a second album at some point. That'd be a great fit for an european DreamSonic. Just imagine Mike + Virgil during the encore :metal

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2023, 09:58:01 AM »
what about Marillion and Yes?
Rick Wakeman is still touring
Steve hackett...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2023, 10:05:33 AM »
I hope they keep doing this to celebrate and promote progressive rock/metal

I don't.  If I go to a DT show, I want to see DT.  I have no interest in celebrating or supporting the promotion of any particular genre of music.

Also...

Some different versions:

Dream Theater
Haken
Fates Warning

Dream Theater
Tesseract
Periphery

Dream Theater
Opeth
Leprous

Dream Theater
Pain Of Salvation
Riverside

Haken would be one of those bands where I’d try and get in for last few songs just to see.

I pretty much agree with both of these statements.  Haken certainly gets a lot of run with DT fans, but the very little of their music that I've heard is very meh.  Also, from what I've heard, a lot of "progressive metal" has turned into what I'd call "technical metal" (View is a perfect example) that doesn't appeal to me.  Add to that the seemingly frequent use of cookie monster vocals, and a lot of this stuff has no appeal for me.  Of course, if you can get FW to tour WITH DT (again), then I will attend as many shows as I possibly can.

what about Marillion and Yes?

I don't know about Marillion, but "Yes" (i.e., the Steve Howe Band) is pretty terrible these days, and there's no way Steve Howe would allow his band to be an opening act.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2023, 10:09:09 AM »
Dream Theater
Haken
Vola
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 10:11:55 AM »
Kaipa
Karmakanic
Spock's Beard

John said this tour was to get the name DreamSonic out there, being a progfestival.
so the line-up doesn't have to include Dream Theater themselves.