Author Topic: The TAC V.6 Helping Ariich With Diaper Duty Roulette (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 77851 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
If he wasn't such a pussy when it comes to female growls I'd have plenty of options.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
i already have something good lined up that i'm pretty sure? TAC would like??? so

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
i already have something good lined up that i'm pretty sure? TAC would like??? so

Er.. I watched some of your 2023 Somewhat Hits video last night.

It's not any of those is it?  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
If he wasn't such a pussy when it comes to female growls I'd have plenty of options.

Pussy and vocals? Did you read my writeup for this round for you?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This 2023 round was cool, I found a couple of really cool albums I would never have found.  Just have to decide which one out of the two to send.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Wait.....we're just sending one song from 2023 right, not a whole album?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Yes, just a song!  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Yes, just a song!  :lol

I'm not sure why I thought that.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Pussy and vocals? Did you read my writeup for this round for you?  ;D

You may get them anyway

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Round 6 Results!!

Puppies  Minus the Bear - Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse

This song builds nicely.

I found this to be one of the most consistent songs in the round. It doesn’t hit you over the head, but seems like it crawls inside. This has a really cool chorus. I also really like the way this has a subtle build that is really powerful.

DragonAttack  Sonny Terry – That’s How I Feel

Really classic and comforting.

Damn, this is old!  I mean jeesh. My favorite part of the song was around 2:30, where there’s a little added rhythm for the second half of the musical bridge. Seriously it sounds like some dude singing in his shower. I just couldn’t do much with this.

Jingle Boy  Seventh Wonder – One Last Goodbye

This has a nice chorus.

You sent me the live version of this, which was excellent. The vocals were really strong and this had an excellent chorus.  The acoustic guitars were really nice too. Great sound.You had mentioned the studio track had some distracting spoken word. I decided to check it out anyway just before the writeup. Yikes…that struck a little close to home. Jeez..

Kingshmegland  Neal Morse – Waterfall

Nice song, but the vocal harmonies were very distracting.

This is a nice song for sure. I didn’t have a transcendental experience with it though. The guitar intro was really nice. I actually have no issue with Neal as a vocalist. I mentioned the vocal harmonies. They sound much better in a couple of live vids I watched, but this studio version just has them all layered and … studioworked. I didn’t like them. I liked the guitar turn at 3:42. Takes a while to get there, but it has a nice outro. It’s fine. It didn’t bowl me over.

Lonestar  Destrage – Where The Things Have No Colour

Awesome guitar solo, but I’m not sure I like the guy’s voice.

I was interested to hear this as this is a pretty versatile band with unpredictable turns. This song has some fantastic instrumentation. Great guitar playing especially the solo as I mentioned in the First Impression. And the strings are a nice touch. The song itself is pretty good. But holy shit, this dude’s voice blows. I can’t listen to it. He sounds like a pussy.  But other than that, this was very nice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lithojazzosphere  Nickel Creek – Destination

That was actually quite pleasant. Hopefully it’s a grower.

Stadler  The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow

This is going to take a few listens I think.

So.these songs grew..a little. Both songs feature some excellent vocals with wonderful harmonies. Each has an old school feel to it. I pulled up some live performances of each song and they’re both impressive. My issue is that I’ll likely never revisit these. But in the moment, they’re very nice.

7.6 for both
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romdrums  The Bad Plus – Dirty Blonde

This was surprisingly cool, and it hits a part towards the end where it all comes together.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this. Now, I don’t know if I could take a whole album of it, but this is the right song. I checked out a few videos of them and well, yeah, Ill stick with this. I loved the drumming in this. The sound of the ride cymbal was really nice, the toms sounded great. I loved how the drums played with the piano. They sounded great together. Interesting choice, but a good one.

Faizoff  Bryan Adams – Back To You

I love the pace of this.

Faizoff, when I saw that you sent Bryan Adams, I have to admit..my first thought was ..geez, but you’ve been doing so well. I’ve always thought he had a good voice, but his songs, while huge hits, never appealed to me. I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this. The thing that jumped out at me was the pace. It moves, and it stands out in that regard in this round. It was actually quite refreshing. I love when the piano comes in at 3:30. Really nice touch there.

Vmadera  I Prevail – My Heart I Surrender

That was an outstanding vocal.

When I saw this song on Spotify, I couldn’t believe it had 35 MILLION streams. Two other songs on this album have 112m and 56m each. WTF? I’ve never even heard any of these songs. But I have been to the dentist, so I’m sure I must’ve heard My Heart Will Prevail. Seriously, this is Dentist Office music. The vocal is excellent, I must say. It’s a nice song. But unless I have a cavity, I’ll probably never hear it again.

Wolfking  Nightingale – To My Inspiration

That was a lot of needless bitching.

This had probably my favorite guitar sound of the round. It’s a bit dated but..so am I. Can’t say it was my favorite vocal. The voice is..fairly boring. And WTF who wrote this chorus…Santa Claus? Seriously, the guitar really kept me engaged. Outstanding solo too. I wish it had a better vocal, but it was still a good song.

Buddy  Maudlin Of The Well – Sleep Is A Curse

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center?

I didn’t know what to think of this song, other than I couldn’t accept whatever the hell you sent as a Wild Card lol. This actually really grew on me throughout the round. It’s quite chill. The vocalist manages to hold it together. It’s a tricky vocal line. The payoff is the instrumental ending, which is extremely nice.

Twosuitsluke  Black Label Society – Spoke In The Wheel

As expected. Maybe a little better.

I’m not a BLS fan really. I’m not super experienced with them but I’m not crazy about Zakk’s vocals.
I don’t love them here either, and I feel like he’s trying too hard. But musicwise I do like this. The guitars sound great and the tune itself is pretty good.

Ariich  Thunder – Unravelling

Not sure how I feel about it after one listen.

I’m generally familiar with Thunder. Kwijibo also sent them to me before as well. Not a band that I’ve bothered to get into. What I like about this song is just how familiar sounding it is. I love the chorus. The singer has a great voice. Not sure I’m yet convinced to follow up with them. We’ll see. A good song though. And yes, there’s an electric guitar solo, but I completely ignored it.

Reaper  Days Of The New – Weapon & The Wound

Is there an acoustic equivalent to mid tempo mumbo jumbo?

This song started out…slow! I don’t like the voice the guy uses in the verses. He opens up a bit in the choruses, which he definitely sounds better in. This song gets better as it goes though. I really like the strings in this. Not something I’d follow up with though.

Crow  Orville Peck – Kalahari Down

That gave me goosebumps.

I gotta say..this song blew me away. I was captivated from the first note. When the song ended, I just sat there. Wow! I’ve never heard of Orville Peck before. He’s a gay dude from Canada that sings Old School Country-Western. And his voice fucking crushes it. This put me down a mini rabbit hole this week. I’m not sure I could listen to a whole album in this style, but I watched a number of videos and he’s a phenomenal singer. This song is fantastic. Great mood, lyrics, and delivery.

Elite  Seether – Gasoline

Is this Nirvana?

I can’t say I loved this song. It really did remind me of the Nirvana Unplugged album, which I like, but this had a little harder edge.  I’m not sure I could listen to a whole album of these guys though. I mean, this was OK, I’m good.

Tomislav  Elliot Smith – Waltz #2 (XO)

This was kind of weird.

I did not get this at first at all. I began to make some sense of it with each listen. It reminded me of The Beatles honestly. Something about that Waltz rhythm though I just couldn’t get into. I don’t know. I was a little weirded out by it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Round 6 Standings!!

Crow....8.8
Jingle Boy....8.4
Romdrums....8.4
Puppies....8.2
Faizoff....8.2
Wolfking....8.0
Ariich....7.9
Buddyhunter....7.8
Kingshmegland....7.8
Twosuitsluke....7.6
Stadler....7.6
Lithijazzosphere....7.6
Lonestar....7.6
Vmadera....7.4
DragonAttack....7.0
Reaper....7.0
Elite....7.0
Tomislav....6.9

Standings!!!

Jingle Boy...8.3+8.2+8.6+7.8+8.5+8.4=49.8
Ariich...8.4+8.4+7.9+8.4+7.9+7.9=48.9
Wolfking...8.5+8.0+8.8+7.6+8.0+8.0=48.9
Faizoff...8.9+7.5+8.5+7.4+8.0+8.2=48.5
Lithojazzosphere...9.0+7.5+8.0+8.3+8.0+7.6=48.4
Lonestar....8.2+7.5+8.0+7.8+8.7+7.6=47.8
Romdrums...7.8+7.8+7.8+8.0+8.0+8.4=47.8
BuddyHunter...7.9+7.8+7.4+8.8+7.9+7.8=47.8
Twosuitsluke....6.8+8.5+7.7+7.5+8.7+7.6=46.8
DragonAttack...8.0+8.0+7.3+8.4+7.8+7.0=46.5
Crow...8.0+8.0+7.4+6.8+7.4+8.8=46.4
Elite...8.0+8.0+7.8+7.5+7.8+7.0=46.1
Stadler...6.5+8.0+7.9+8.5+7.5+7.6=46.0
Puppies...7.5+7.0+8.0+6.8+8.5+8.2=46.0
VMadera...8.0+7.5+7.3+7.5+8.1+7.4=45.8
Tomislav...7.5+7.0+8.0+7.5=7.9+6.9=44.8
Kingshmegland...6.8+7.2+8.0+6.9+8.1+7.8=44.8
Reaper...6.8+7.3+7.3+7.3+7.3+7.0=43.0

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My writeup surely doesn't warrant an 8.0 ranking, but I'll take it.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Chad's to lose now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The TAC V.6 Helping Ariich With Diaper Duty Roulette (Round 6 Results!!)
« Reply #2113 on: March 12, 2023, 04:45:32 PM »
You must have really hated the Pantera song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

The guitar was captivating. It was honestly my favorite guitar sound of the round. Like I said, it felt dated, but it struck a nerve.
It could've used a stronger vocal, but it was one of the better songs this round.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2115 on: March 12, 2023, 04:47:23 PM »

I honestly didn't even have to listen to them to know which one I was choosing. I did...but I didn't have to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

The guitar was captivating. It was honestly my favorite guitar sound of the round. Like I said, it felt dated, but it struck a nerve.
It could've used a stronger vocal, but it was one of the better songs this round.

I'm not the biggest fan of Swano's cleans vocals either, but I agree, the guitar is excellent.  I knew you wouldn't like his voice so it's all good.  It's actually a really nice album with an old school prog feel.  Swano's vocals on most the other songs is a lot stronger with a bit of beefiness behind him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: March 12, 2023, 04:49:17 PM »

I honestly didn't even have to listen to them to know which one I was choosing. I did...but I didn't have to.

Damn, can I have my wildcard back then?

Note to everyone, do not send Pantera to Tim.  Hmmm......although round 8.... :justjen

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2118 on: March 12, 2023, 04:51:03 PM »
Eh, fair enough, as far as shitty takes go that's a pretty solid one.

I was hoping you'd hold off a day or two, there's an album being released Tuesday that I was keen on sending something from once I heard it, but I think I'll go with what you already got from me as an official submission.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2119 on: March 12, 2023, 04:52:17 PM »
Better than I thought. I think I have the song for 2023. Want to play through the songs one more time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2120 on: March 12, 2023, 04:53:00 PM »
Also.... this guys sounds like a pussy? Gotcha...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosqKDW39NU&ab_channel=MetalBladeRecords

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2121 on: March 12, 2023, 04:53:39 PM »

I was hoping you'd hold off a day or two, there's an album being released Tuesday that I was keen on sending something from once I heard it, but I think I'll go with what you already got from me as an official submission.

No rush. You can wait until Tuesday. I'm taking a Roulette Break tomorrow anyway.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2122 on: March 12, 2023, 04:55:13 PM »

No rush. You can wait until Tuesday. I'm taking a Roulette Break tomorrow anyway.

Ok...let's see how the new one sounds then.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2123 on: March 12, 2023, 04:55:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CosqKDW39NU&ab_channel=MetalBladeRecords

You sent me that in my first roulette, and I believe it did pretty well. I checked them out. They're not really the band for me though.

However, I watched a number of the drummer's playthrough videos this week, and he is fucking incredible.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2124 on: March 12, 2023, 05:39:19 PM »
Oh well, I figured this could be a hard round.

Sent!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2125 on: March 12, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »
I'm pumped for this round. People, don't let me down.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: March 12, 2023, 05:45:03 PM »

Nice, that would work well for me too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2127 on: March 12, 2023, 05:50:19 PM »

Nice, that would work well for me too.

Ideally, I'd like to have everyone in by Tuesday evening.

To be clear, what I actually mean is that he sounded really nasally. Kind of sounded like whining. That's a huge turn off for me.

Chad's to lose now.

Proof that this roulette is not fixed!  :lol

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2128 on: March 12, 2023, 05:52:06 PM »
The funny thing about the next round will be seeing probably a bunch of bands I sampled and rejected for various reasons.  If someone scores higher than me with either of my two cut finalists, oh boy... :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: March 12, 2023, 05:55:04 PM »
I will have my next submission in by Tuesday!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 06:25:57 PM by wolfking »

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2131 on: March 12, 2023, 06:19:06 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of Swano's cleans vocals either

Blasphemy!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: March 12, 2023, 06:26:51 PM »
I'm not the biggest fan of Swano's cleans vocals either

Blasphemy!

I like his aggressive cleans pretty well, but with this song, I can relate to what Tim was saying.  His growls are where its at for me.

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2133 on: March 12, 2023, 06:41:52 PM »
He's not a great live vocalist, and his cleans can be spotty in the early 90s, but from the mid-90s on he's pretty immaculate for me regardless of what type of delivery he goes for. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 6 Results!!

[
DragonAttack  Sonny Terry – That’s How I Feel

Really classic and comforting.

Damn, this is old!  I mean jeesh. My favorite part of the song was around 2:30, where there’s a little added rhythm for the second half of the musical bridge. Seriously it sounds like some dude singing in his shower. I just couldn’t do much with this.

But that's OK, because Brian and Freddie did do something with it ;)   Thus my affection for it.  And  'No Synthesizers!' (for this and the Queen versions :lol )

See What A Fool I've Been

the BBC version from July '73    https://open.spotify.com/track/0uHqoDT7J2TYBsJx6m4Tvi

The B-side of 'Seven Seas Of Rhye'  'camp' version      https://open.spotify.com/track/4G4Sf18XkFvNTV5vAxiQyd

ANATO tour from the Hammersmith Odeon to close out the show     https://open.spotify.com/track/7LCdcg60N1YBGv3uFSTooL

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!