Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

Avantasia
49 (84.5%)
Edguy
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Nick

They won't. They'd be throwing money away.

MrBoom_shack-a-lack

QuoteCommented Sammet: "To me, he used to be what John D. Rockerduck is to Scrooge McDuck: an adamant longtime rival; in our case, when it comes to producing rock operas. Well, if you can't beat your enemy, make him your ally! And so I opened the door and literally invited pestilence into my world, ha!

"Seriously, the truth is that the 'pestilence' I'm talking about is really one of the nicest, coolest and loveliest plagues I've ever come to know, an ambitious artist through and through and a real great guitar player. So, having just come back from a shopping tour in 2912 — where apparently he found himself a brand new pair of bad-ass pants and boots — he went into the studio to record some additional lead guitar for the forthcoming AVANTASIA album, 'The Mystery Of Time': AYREON mastermind Arjen Anthony Lucassen!"

First:  :lol Then:  :metal

I wonder if Arjen will invite Tobias?......

jingle.boy

:whoa:

That's a whole heaping spread of awesome sauce!
Quote from: Jamesman42 on Today at 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
So I just checked, and, uh, you are one of the two who haven't sent.
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

Sir GuitarCozmo

I was listening to "Racer X" radio on Pandora last night and Edguy's "Golden Dawn" came on.  Pretty cool tune.

wolfking

Golden Dawn was the first Edguy song I heard and it blew me away, definitely one of their greatest songs.  Possibly Sammet's best vocal performance.

wolfking

Ronnie Atkins has just been confirmed as a guest also on the new Avantasia. 

I'm a happy man with that, Ronnie and Pretty Maids are fantastic.  Great to see Tobias using some under appreciated and different singers this time around.

jingle.boy

From FB:

QuoteERIC MARTIN OF MR. BIG JOINS AVANTASIA

In March the new Avantasia album "The Mystery Of Time" will be released. The list of featured artists who have been confirmed for the album reads like a who-is-who in Rock and Metal: Now another legend of Rock history has been announced: Eric Martin of US-platinum sellers MR. BIG is singing a role on the album and will join AVANTASIA on stage during the "Mystery World Tour", starting in April.

Sweet!  Anticipation continues to build
Quote from: TAC on September 19, 2024, 05:23:01 PMHow is this even possible? Are we playing or what, people??
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid on Today at 12:46:33 PMTim's roulette police card is hereby revoked!

wolfking

That's one guy I would have never expected, very cool.

jingle.boy

Booyah!!!

QuoteAfter Biff Byford (Saxon), Eric Martin (Mr. Big), Michael Kiske (ex-Helloween, Unisonic), Bruce Kulick (ex-KISS, ex-Meat Loaf), Ronnie Atkins (Pretty Maids) and Arjen Lucassen (Ayreon, ex-Vengeance) another guest star has been revealed: legendary former Deep Purple, Rainbow and Yngwie Malmsteen vocalist Joe Lynn Turner will appear on the new Avantasia album "The Mystery Of Time" (to be released in March). More details here at tobiassammet.com soon!

This could turn out to be album of the year with that lineup!!

jingle.boy

Oh, and this too was posted this morning on Tobias' website.

QuoteIn March the new Avantasia album "The Mystery Of Time" will be released worldwide. Lyrically it marks a conceptual story again, and the tracklist reads as follows: Spectres, The Watchmakers' Dream, Black Orchid, Where Clock Hands Freeze, Sleepwalking, Savior In The Clockwork, Invoke The Machine, What's Left Of Me, Dweller In A Dream and The Great Mystery.

TAC

Buff Byford is easily the most underrated vocalist in metal. He sounds better than ever, especially when you take into account the miles on his voice.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Zydar

Lowdz

Quote from: TAC on January 19, 2013, 07:23:54 AM
Buff Byford is easily the most underrated vocalist in metal. He sounds better than ever, especially when you take into account the miles on his voice.

He was something to behold back in the day. I was a big Saxon fan until Destiny. Lost track of them after that until 3-4 years ago.

TAC

Their last few albums have been great, with the new one due in February. He sounds better than ever.
Quote from: wkiml on June 08, 2012, 09:06:35 AMwould have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Quote from: Buddyhunter1 on April 22, 2023, 05:54:45 PMTAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

wolfking

wolfking

01. Spectres
02. The Watchmakers' Dream
03. Black Orchid
04. Where Clock Hands Freeze
05. Sleepwalking
06. Savior In The Clockwork
07. Invoke The Machine
08. What's Left Of Me
09. Dweller In A Dream
10. The Great Mystery

Scorpion

I like the tracklisting, but that cover is pretty laughable.

Lowdz

Quote from: Scorpion on February 03, 2013, 04:59:47 AM

It's very Magnum-esque.

Jaq

I guess I listen to so much music these days that I've let some things slide, but I've been randomly following "related artists" links on Spotify, and I pulled up Avantasia and started listening to The Scarecrow, and...jesus christ, how'd I forget how epic the fucking title track is? Jorn KILLS it.  :metal

TAC

Quote from: Lowdz on February 03, 2013, 05:36:17 AM

It's very Magnum-esque.
Everything is Magnum-esque to you! :lol

Lowdz

Quote from: TAC on February 03, 2013, 08:43:20 AM
Quote from: Lowdz on February 03, 2013, 05:36:17 AM

It's very Magnum-esque.
Everything is Magnum-esque to you! :lol

They're obviously very influential  ;D

wolfking

gazinwales

Yup has Magnum written all over the cover and we all know how much Tobi likes them.

wolfking

Edguy's cover of the Spirit is pretty good, nowhere near as good as the original but good.  I'm great Tobi shows respect for underrated bands like Magnum and Pretty Maids, it's fresh to see other musicians sight these guys as influences when not many do.

Jaq

Reason it looks like a Magnum cover art?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Matthews

Using Magnum's long time cover artist will do that. :D

Lowdz

Quote from: Jaq on February 04, 2013, 10:24:27 AM
Reason it looks like a Magnum cover art?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_Matthews

Using Magnum's long time cover artist will do that. :D

There's no mistaking Rodney Matthews work.

wolfking

Ben_Jamin

wolfking

Quote from: Ben_Jamin on February 24, 2013, 04:08:44 AM
Cant wait for preorders.

Yeah, I'm surprised you can't pre order already, it's only out in less than 5 weeks.

Ben_Jamin

Quote from: wolfking on February 24, 2013, 04:11:43 AM
Quote from: Ben_Jamin on February 24, 2013, 04:08:44 AM
Cant wait for preorders.

Yeah, I'm surprised you can't p
re order already, it's only out in less than 5 weeks.

Those darn pictures are making me crave

wolfking

New song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfQEclxbQrs

Hmmm...it's okay, nothing spectacular though.  Ronnie sounds awesome.

Ben_Jamin

jingle.boy

wolfking

Nice to see you Chad.

Jesus, there is a lot of layers of cheese right here.  Not a big fan after the first listen, Tobi use to be the best ballad writer in the business IMO back in the Edguy glory days, but the last three albums, the ballads have easily been the weakest on the album IMO.  I think he probably should have done the song with Ronnie as a video.