Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 70551 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1540 on: May 08, 2023, 05:56:39 AM »
For sure. You often hear about the visiting team wanting to “take the crowd out of it”. The fans can be a huge boost for the home team.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1541 on: May 08, 2023, 08:05:36 AM »
Boy, losing the way the Panthers did last year must have really given them the kick in the ass they needed, because they having been rolling at the right times now and Bob is playing well when they need him to be.

3-0 lead.  Now the Leafs needs to do one of the very hardest thing to do and I don't see this Panthers team collapsing and getting reversed sweep.

I don't want to say anything, so's I don't jinx it, but there's a theory going around about "President's Cup winners" and "poor playoff performances" and "following years" that bodes well for one of the original six teams...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1542 on: May 08, 2023, 08:35:26 AM »
Boy, losing the way the Panthers did last year must have really given them the kick in the ass they needed, because they having been rolling at the right times now and Bob is playing well when they need him to be.

3-0 lead.  Now the Leafs needs to do one of the very hardest thing to do and I don't see this Panthers team collapsing and getting reversed sweep.

I don't want to say anything, so's I don't jinx it, but there's a theory going around about "President's Cup winners" and "poor playoff performances" and "following years" that bodes well for one of the original six teams...

Are the Bruins trading Zacha, Debrusk, and Gryzlchk for Tkachuck, Verhaege, and Montour?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1543 on: May 08, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
Just curious…because having a home team is new to us.

But I took not a little bit of pride, when the commentators after the game happened to mention how loud the Seattle crowd is.

This really made my heart beam, because it takes me back to the ‘83 Seahawks in the Kingdome.   We were the first crowd in the NFL to be flagged for delay of game (because of John Elway’s whining) and we are the first crowd that I know of to actually gain a legendary reputation for our volume level. So to hear the commentators acknowledge that it’s hard to play in Seattle because of the noise level made me so happy.

It takes me back to when I was actually in the Kingdome at a Seahawks game, and I *literally* had to scream directly in the ear of the person I came with in order to have a conversation because the crowd noise was so overpowering.

I’m not saying we are “the loudest” because I have no idea. But hearing the commentary that it was an issue if you come to Seattle gave me a moment of home town pride.

So I’m asking sincerely. Does crowd enthusiasm and/or noise enter into the game as much as it does with other sports? Do we *potentially* have an advantage in that department if it’s even true?

I think the crowd boosts the players on both sides though. Players like playing in full, loud arenas and stadiums. Even if it's a hostile fanbase it creates a nearly tangible energy in the building.

Many moons ago I read an article in the newspaper that ran the math on home vs. away winning %, and it was close to 50/50. I just did a check on the 2022-23 standings, and it's pretty close.

Avg Home W%: 52.8%
Avg Away W%: 47.2%

Avg Home L%: 47.8%
Avg Away L%: 52.2%

Some serious outliers in the data considering a bottom feeder team like columbus got 64% of their meagre win total at home, whereas SJ managed the same % but from road wins (their home crowd only saw 8 victories last season). Lots of teams near the top had less than 50% of their wins at home, Colorado (43%) and my beloved Oilers (46%) included.

Most interesting team was Arizona. Despite finishing 27th in the league, they had a winning record at home (21-20). They only won 28 games, and 21 of those were at the "mullet". WTF

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1544 on: May 08, 2023, 09:07:07 AM »
I'd prefer the Bruins play all of their playoff games on the road from this point on.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1545 on: May 08, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »

*President's Trophy

The only team to win the President's Trophy and lose in the first round and win the Stanley Cup in the following season was Tampa Bay, who won the PT and lost in the first round in 2018-19 and then won the Bubble Cup.  Not sure one occurrence is much of a basis for a theory, especially when PT winners have been eliminated in the first round of the playoffs with the same frequency that they've won the Stanley Cup.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1546 on: May 08, 2023, 09:45:09 AM »
Serious question to fans of teams who lost in the 1st round: are you still watching the playoffs and how much?

I ask because I know from history that when the Blues have made the playoffs and get eliminated, it often zaps my energy out of wanting to watch anymore hockey that season.  I didn't watch much last year after they got eliminated by the Avs.  Part of that was I didn't want the nausea of seeing the Avs win the Cup, but that is usually the case after the Blues get knocked out.  If they lost in particularly agonizing fashion, the party is always over.  :lol :lol
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 09:55:24 AM by KevShmev »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1547 on: May 08, 2023, 09:54:49 AM »
Serious question to fans of teams who lost in the 1st round: are you still watching the playoffs and how much?

Yes, but not with the same vigor.  Dodgers games take priority, and I've been paying more attention to the NBA playoffs than I usually do.  I watched a decent chunk of the third period and OT of the Leafs/Panthers game, but the other two games were out of hand pretty quickly, so I didn't pay much attention to them.  Going forward, it'll depend somewhat on who's playing.  If we end up with Edmonton and Florida in the SCF, I probably won't watch much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1548 on: May 08, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »

I ask because I know from history that when the Blues makes the playoffs and get eliminated, it often zaps my energy out of wanting to watch anymore hockey that season.  I didn't watch much last year after they got eliminated by the Avs.  Part of that was I didn't want the nausea of seeing the Avs win the Cup, but that is usually the case after the Blues get knocked out.  If they lost in particularly agonizing fashion, the party is always over.  :lol :lol

I don't watch any games once Edmonton gets bounced (or in many, many, many years don't make it at all). I'll check the scores or watch the highlight package, but I wouldn't sit to watch other teams play. I make no illusions: I'm an Oilers fan, not an NHL hockey fan. I'd have to have literally nothing better to do, and that's highly unlikely

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1549 on: May 08, 2023, 09:58:11 AM »

I always watch the playoffs after the Bruins are eliminated. I neither hate nor love any of the remaining teams, and the games have been great.

I've always said that after the Bruins are eliminated each year, that I can finally sit back and enjoy the playoffs.

Dodgers games take priority, and I've been paying more attention to the NBA playoffs than I usually do.

Oddly the Sox have the 5th best record in all of MLB right now, and I think I finally watched my first games this weekend. And for us, the Celtics are still going. But Celtics games aside, NBA playoffs will never override NHL playoffs.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1550 on: May 08, 2023, 10:03:40 AM »

Oddly the Sox have the 5th best record in all of MLB right now, and I think I finally watched my first games this weekend. And for us, the Celtics are still going. But Celtics games aside, NBA playoffs will never override NHL playoffs.

You mean 7th best. TB, BAL, TOR, TEX, ATL and LAD are all ahead of them.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1551 on: May 08, 2023, 10:04:47 AM »

You mean 7th best. TB, BAL, TOR, TEX, ATL and LAD are all ahead of them.

As of Saturday anyway. They did lose yesterday.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1552 on: May 08, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »

I ask because I know from history that when the Blues have made the playoffs and get eliminated, it often zaps my energy out of wanting to watch anymore hockey that season.  I didn't watch much last year after they got eliminated by the Avs.  Part of that was I didn't want the nausea of seeing the Avs win the Cup, but that is usually the case after the Blues get knocked out.  If they lost in particularly agonizing fashion, the party is always over.  :lol :lol

I haven't watched much since the Bruins were eliminated, but that's more life than Bruins.   I will probably watch a lot of hockey over the next week or so, since I'm traveling, and I will watch more as we go deeper in the playoffs.   

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1553 on: May 08, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »

I'm still watching the playoffs.  Primarily the Western Conference games.  That said, my attention has been divided into doing other various hobbies.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1554 on: May 08, 2023, 10:55:16 AM »

I'm still watching the playoffs.  Primarily the Western Conference games.  That said, my attention has been divided into doing other various hobbies.

We (my wife and son who plays hockey) watch as many games as we can. Playoff hockey is great to watch. We’ve been rooting for the Leafs and Kraken…..but don’t really have an allegiance to any team. It’s just fin to watch good hockey.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1555 on: May 08, 2023, 01:19:06 PM »

I haven't. I've checked into games and scores but I haven't watched a full game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1556 on: May 08, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »

I haven't. I've checked into games and scores but I haven't watched a full game.

Wouldn't want to miss a show.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1557 on: May 08, 2023, 02:00:37 PM »
Better than seeing teams that piss me off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1558 on: May 08, 2023, 02:02:48 PM »
Homah.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1559 on: May 08, 2023, 02:53:25 PM »
Who's excited to watch the NHL Draft Lottery tonight?  ;) It's been my playoffs these last few years since the Wings hit the rebuild.  Hoping for some lottery luck to get either 1st or 2nd overall.  As long as Chicago and Montreal don't get number 1 overall, and Ottawa doesn't get to number 2 (they're number 2 in so many other ways!) and the Wings don't drop to 11th overall, I'll be good.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1560 on: May 08, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
Who's excited to watch the NHL Draft Lottery tonight?  ;) It's been my playoffs these last few years since the Wings hit the rebuild.  Hoping for some lottery luck to get either 1st or 2nd overall.  As long as Chicago and Montreal don't get number 1 overall, and Ottawa doesn't get to number 2 (they're number 2 in so many other ways!) and the Wings don't drop to 11th overall, I'll be good.

I'm excited about the draft lottery, and my team isn't even in it. As an Oilers fan, I know firsthand what it feels like to get a talent like Connor Bedard. I still remember exactly where I was and my reaction in 2015 when that gold card with the Edmonton logo was revealed. This guy is the type of player you can really build a franchise around.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1561 on: May 08, 2023, 03:06:28 PM »
Montreal is getting the #1 pick. The NHL did all they could do to prop up Edmonton, and then Toronto. Sorry, Connor Bedard is not going to Columbus.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1562 on: May 08, 2023, 03:07:38 PM »

I always watch the playoffs after the Bruins are eliminated. I neither hate nor love any of the remaining teams, and the games have been great.

I've always said that after the Bruins are eliminated each year, that I can finally sit back and enjoy the playoffs.

Same... 'cept, Leafs.

I just hope Chicago doesn't get it/him... that franchise still has a lot of repenting to do, imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: May 08, 2023, 03:13:01 PM »
Homah.

Yeah. So what?  I'll spend time with my wife. Not in my man cave.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1564 on: May 08, 2023, 03:24:28 PM »

Same... 'cept, Leafs.

I just hope Chicago doesn't get it/him... that franchise still has a lot of repenting to do, imo.

Yeah…..and honestly, they should have been removed from contention to get any #1 pick for ‘X’ amount of years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1565 on: May 08, 2023, 03:49:53 PM »
I just read that a team can't win the lottery twice in a 5 year period. That would rule out the Habs..

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1566 on: May 08, 2023, 03:56:07 PM »
If there's anything more boring than watching a draft, it's watching a draft lottery.  And it's not like picking one of 16 envelopes out of a hopper.  I'm good with hearing who's picking where after the fact (and that was true when the Kings were part of it).

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1567 on: May 08, 2023, 04:56:09 PM »
I just read that a team can't win the lottery twice in a 5 year period. That would rule out the Habs..

The Habs only won the draft lottery once when that rule began in 2020, I think?  If they win the Lottery this year, it would lock them out of ever winning the draft lottery again for the next few years.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1568 on: May 08, 2023, 05:00:35 PM »

The Habs only won the draft lottery once when that rule began in 2020, I think?  If they win the Lottery this year, it would lock them out of ever winning the draft lottery again for the next few years.

Oh, ok, so their 2020 draft win doesn't count yet?

Dammit! :lol

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1569 on: May 08, 2023, 05:01:36 PM »
They weren't in the 2020 draft lottery.  They technically qualified for the playoffs that year after beating the Pens in the play-in in the bubble.  The one that does count is the 2022 draft.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1570 on: May 08, 2023, 05:05:17 PM »
They weren't in the 2020 draft lottery.  They technically qualified for the playoffs that year after beating the Pens in the play-in in the bubble.  The one that does count is the 2022 draft.

OK yeah that's what I meant.  :lol

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1571 on: May 08, 2023, 05:23:38 PM »
If there's anything more boring than watching a draft, it's watching a draft lottery.  And it's not like picking one of 16 envelopes out of a hopper.  I'm good with hearing who's picking where after the fact (and that was true when the Kings were part of it).

^^this is more what i meant.  I'm excited about where Bedard might land, but I have no intention of watching the draw live. The internet will fill me in,  or it'll be all over the broadcast when i finish putting my spawn to bed

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1572 on: May 08, 2023, 05:33:08 PM »
At least, we are assured that we will not see this.

Or this.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #1573 on: May 08, 2023, 06:23:48 PM »
Wow.  Chicago actually leapfrogged two spots in the draft and now they get #1. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1574 on: May 08, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
What a fucking joke. Seriously. Utterly ridiculous