Author Topic: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !  (Read 41952 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Just General non band specific Music Chat Thread !
« Reply #735 on: May 07, 2024, 05:36:29 AM »
This just came up in my YouTube feed.

https://youtu.be/17toLteDPNk?si=bkJgQ9CB3bYkI1js

:metal :lol  Glorious!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: May 07, 2024, 12:10:56 PM »
I dont remember where but someone recently in a different thread stated Madonna was not relevant in relation to the Taylor Swift discussion....

"OFFICIAL: THE CELEBRATION TOUR TOPPED 225 MILLION DOLLARS AND BECAME THE THIRD BIGGEST GROSSING TOUR OF MADONNA'S CAREER!
It's the first woman with over 60 years old in music history  to gross +200million dollars in a single tour, 40 years into her career!!!
CELEBRATION, #Madonna
$225,580,345 Revenue ($2,819,754 avg.)
1,127,658 Tickets Sold (14,096 avg.)
$200.04 Average Price
80/80 Reported Shows"

and she just set the record for concert attendance for a single show at 1.6M people in Rio

Got this from a facebook post randomly (I don't follow anything Madonna, but I guess this is music news)

WOW

Online nick_z

« Reply #738 on: May 07, 2024, 07:26:14 PM »
Second single from Cemetery Skyline, "In Darkness":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-spq7mE-8

Another catchy one. This is one even catchier than the first - could totally be a radio hit in an alternate world  :) (and the guitar solo is sweet!)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #739 on: May 07, 2024, 11:52:14 PM »
Second single from Cemetery Skyline, "In Darkness":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-spq7mE-8

Another catchy one. This is one even catchier than the first - could totally be a radio hit in an alternate world  :) (and the guitar solo is sweet!)

I quite liked the first one. I'll check this out.

Online Dream Team

« Reply #740 on: May 22, 2024, 05:12:53 AM »
One unfortunate aspect of the music industry that has never gone away and in fact may be even more of a thing now than in the MTV era is that image always matters most. If Taylor Swift was a chubby pimply-faced brunette who didn’t gyrate on stage she wouldn’t be even half as popular as she is now. Irrefutable.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #741 on: May 22, 2024, 05:52:26 AM »
One unfortunate aspect of the music industry that has never gone away and in fact may be even more of a thing now than in the MTV era is that image always matters most. If Taylor Swift was a chubby pimply-faced brunette who didn’t gyrate on stage she wouldn’t be even half as popular as she is now. Irrefutable.

I completely agree, but the idea that we gravitate toward those whom we find attractive is pretty much hard wired into our species.

To that point, the 'image matters most' phenomenon is pretty much an across-the-board result of cinema, and shortly thereafter, television. It touches all facets of media, from who does your local weather to whether or not an author is pictured on the back of their novel.

I don't know that I find it unfortunate, especially when viewed from an anthropological perspective. I think it's more a 'it is what it is.'

That all said, you are absolutely correct on the T-Swift analysis.

As an aside, I kinda can't believe I'm going to type this, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a single note of her music? Boy, do I live under a pretty massive rock :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #742 on: May 22, 2024, 06:40:22 AM »
I completely agree, but the idea that we gravitate toward those whom we find attractive is pretty much hard wired into our species.

To that point, the 'image matters most' phenomenon is pretty much an across-the-board result of cinema, and shortly thereafter, television. It touches all facets of media, from who does your local weather to whether or not an author is pictured on the back of their novel.

I don't know that I find it unfortunate, especially when viewed from an anthropological perspective. I think it's more a 'it is what it is.'

That all said, you are absolutely correct on the T-Swift analysis.

As an aside, I kinda can't believe I'm going to type this, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a single note of her music? Boy, do I live under a pretty massive rock :lol

I agree with you; it's not a phenomenon limited to music.   And even within music, it's not limited to "pop".   ELP, as a band, is an exceedingly good looking group of men.  I would say the era from I&W through say Octavarium, DT is a very good looking band (the qualifier is a reflection of age, not members, by the way).   David Gilmour is a very handsome man, as was Rick Wright. Jon Anderson.  I know women who have literally swooned over Peter Gabriel and Tony Banks. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: May 22, 2024, 07:06:21 AM »

I don't think you're wrong, but, I feel like "looks" is less popular than ever. I mean, Lizzo is pretty popular. Ed Sheeran is a major star.

What triggered this post?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #744 on: May 22, 2024, 07:06:36 AM »
Oh Stadler...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #745 on: May 22, 2024, 07:07:30 AM »
 :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: May 22, 2024, 07:10:51 AM »
I've had a man-crush on Greg Lake since around 1983. :) :) :) :) :)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #747 on: May 22, 2024, 07:12:45 AM »
No shame in that. The heart wants what the heart wants.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: May 22, 2024, 07:21:07 AM »
Just look at that Love Beach album cover. Yum.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: May 22, 2024, 05:53:27 PM »
I don't think you're wrong, but, I feel like "looks" is less popular than ever. I mean, Lizzo is pretty popular. Ed Sheeran is a major star.

What triggered this post?

I think looks also isn't as much a focal point as it once was. Although, I think it goes hand in hand with how the artist represents themselves.  I mean, Sheeran is huge, but what he does is pretty relative to his image. 

Adele springs to mind too.  Great voice and presents herself accordingly.  TS does what she does because she can, and I don't see anything wrong or offensive with it.  My point is, we don't see the likes of Sheeran or Adele out there performing the way Swift does.  And if an artist was a 'chubby pimply-faced brunette', good chance we wouldn't see her doing what Swift does either.  I know that's kinda of DT's point but I'm not sure why anyone would expect a somewhat unattractive artist to replicate the things a much better looking one with a better figure is doing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: May 23, 2024, 07:49:53 AM »
I think looks also isn't as much a focal point as it once was. Although, I think it goes hand in hand with how the artist represents themselves.  I mean, Sheeran is huge, but what he does is pretty relative to his image. 

Adele springs to mind too.  Great voice and presents herself accordingly.  TS does what she does because she can, and I don't see anything wrong or offensive with it.  My point is, we don't see the likes of Sheeran or Adele out there performing the way Swift does.  And if an artist was a 'chubby pimply-faced brunette', good chance we wouldn't see her doing what Swift does either.  I know that's kinda of DT's point but I'm not sure why anyone would expect a somewhat unattractive artist to replicate the things a much better looking one with a better figure is doing.

But let's be careful here; tastes and all that... I know people that think that Adele is HOT (I actually find her reasonably attractive myself... until she talks).   She certainly doesn't show up on stage in burlap and jeans; she's always in nice clothes and well made up.   The one artist who's made any bones about trying to avoid the 'image' side of things is Billie Eilish, and at that end of the day, it's not because she CAN'T; she's actually a beautiful woman (tastes, I know), and I've seen appearances by here (SNL for one) where she's not really putting her heart into that "no image" thing.  :)

Ed Sheeran looks like a troll to me - and played basically a hobbit on Game Of Thrones - but there are plenty who find him attractive in that ginger way. 

It's a great topic for it's own thread.  I mean, is Sydney Sweeney REALLY a "great actress", or a pretty good actress and great ingenue? Margot Robbie?  Even Meryl Streep; maybe not a "classic beauty" in the Hollywood sense of the word, but she's an attractive woman.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2024, 09:30:36 AM »
I think with music, image is more important than looks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2024, 09:36:48 AM »
But let's be careful here; tastes and all that... I know people that think that Adele is HOT (I actually find her reasonably attractive myself... until she talks).   She certainly doesn't show up on stage in burlap and jeans; she's always in nice clothes and well made up.   The one artist who's made any bones about trying to avoid the 'image' side of things is Billie Eilish, and at that end of the day, it's not because she CAN'T; she's actually a beautiful woman (tastes, I know), and I've seen appearances by here (SNL for one) where she's not really putting her heart into that "no image" thing.  :)

Ed Sheeran looks like a troll to me - and played basically a hobbit on Game Of Thrones - but there are plenty who find him attractive in that ginger way. 

It's a great topic for it's own thread.  I mean, is Sydney Sweeney REALLY a "great actress", or a pretty good actress and great ingenue? Margot Robbie?  Even Meryl Streep; maybe not a "classic beauty" in the Hollywood sense of the word, but she's an attractive woman.

I will preface this by saying that she, nor should any artist, care about what we think with regards to their looks, but Billie Eilish is definitely one of those extremely attractive people who seemingly goes out of her way to downplay her attractiveness.  She has a great smile, which always goes a long way. 

Sydney Sweeney is the new Brad Pitt.  Decent actor, but will keep getting opportunity after opportunity because of her physical attractiveness (spoiler: she's a smoke show :P).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2024, 10:31:15 AM »
I will preface this by saying that she, nor should any artist, care about what we think with regards to their looks, but Billie Eilish is definitely one of those extremely attractive people who seemingly goes out of her way to downplay her attractiveness.  She has a great smile, which always goes a long way. 

She was on SNL late in 2023 and one of her songs was a Christmas carol; beautifully sung, she did a phenomenal job, but at the end she turned and smiled at her brother and I just about melted.  I'm a big "smile" guy, and I personally think she's gorgeous.

Sydney Sweeney is the new Brad Pitt.  Decent actor, but will keep getting opportunity after opportunity because of her physical attractiveness (spoiler: she's a smoke show :P).

Doesn't do much for me; I've never been a fan of that girlish, ingenue look.  I'm more a classic beauty kind of guy; I always mention Margot Robbie, but there are others.  By way of example, Sela Ward is gorgeous; Jaclyn Smith is BY FAR the most beautiful of Charlie's Angels.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #754 on: May 23, 2024, 12:33:30 PM »
I'm not seeing it in Margot Robbie, but a hell yes on Sela Ward.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: May 23, 2024, 05:45:35 PM »

I was going to put this point into my post, not sure why I didn't but that's why I was sort of saying how they are and dress are kind of in relevance of them as a person and performer.  Absolutely though, what we all find attractive is subjective and unique to each individual.  I do think the stereotypes are there and are portrayed that way and always will be but even though I said what I said, I don't find Adele an unattractive woman at all, but if she were wearing and carrying on like Taylor Swift, not sure I'd feel the same way.

Attractiveness and sex appeal is in how people carry themselves too, so Adele being how she is is way more attractive than her trying to do a Swift on stage.  On the other hand, I never said I found Taylor Swift all the attractive either.  Again, I think the stereotypes are just always there and while social media puts those images in our heads I agree, point still stands is that Taylor Swift can get away with what she does and wears much more than Adele would trying to do the same thing. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #756 on: May 23, 2024, 06:42:25 PM »

Doesn't do much for me; I've never been a fan of that girlish, ingenue look.  I'm more a classic beauty kind of guy; I always mention Margot Robbie, but there are others.  By way of example, Sela Ward is gorgeous; Jaclyn Smith is BY FAR the most beautiful of Charlie's Angels.

I am usually with ya on the more classic beauty look, but there is something about Sweeney that is just super hot.  She has both this sultry look and voice.  I first saw her on the HBO show, Euphoria, which I bailed on pretty quickly since I didn't care for the tone or look, but then I saw her in Season 1 of The White Lotus and it really stood out to me there how stunning she is.  I know the average guy probably drools over her for her tracts of land :lol, but I am more of a booty/legs guy. :coolio :coolio

Attractiveness and sex appeal is in how people carry themselves too, so Adele being how she is is way more attractive than her trying to do a Swift on stage.  On the other hand, I never said I found Taylor Swift all the attractive either.  Again, I think the stereotypes are just always there and while social media puts those images in our heads I agree, point still stands is that Taylor Swift can get away with what she does and wears much more than Adele would trying to do the same thing.

Swift's long legs help, but to her credit, she rarely plays up with the sex appeal thing, and when she does in a playful way, it almost always comes off like the awkward girl next door.  And I say that as a big fan of her music and Taylor the person.  She is more cute girl next door than hot girl at the end of the bar, if that makes sense.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 07:01:46 PM by KevShmev »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: May 23, 2024, 06:56:20 PM »
That's fair and you're right from what I've seen.  It's not really in an over sexual way at all I guess, but she has the figure and the looks in general.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #758 on: May 23, 2024, 07:02:23 PM »
Though I don't listen much to Swift, you have to tip your hat that she writes her songs. That's a huge feather in her cap
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #759 on: May 23, 2024, 07:07:29 PM »
I had two different guys friends when they found out years ago that I was suddenly a Swift fan, both say, "What, because she's hot?"  And I was like, "she is?"  It never dawned me on that she's someone the average guy would look at and think that.  Very pretty, yes, but hot is a very different look.  And that is not even factoring in that both friends have known me long enough to know that I wouldn't listen to a female artist simply because she's hot, otherwise I would have been listening to Britney Spears over 20 years ago.  Meatheads. :lol :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: May 23, 2024, 07:09:30 PM »
Very pretty, yes, but hot is a very different look.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #761 on: May 24, 2024, 05:30:08 AM »
Since there's no dedicated thread for them, I guess I gotta put it in here. Sunburst is back with a couple of releases in the past month, and a new album coming June 14 - Manifesto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPWH3eLaGoY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyjslNgA9v8
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #762 on: May 24, 2024, 08:28:21 AM »
I was going to put this point into my post, not sure why I didn't but that's why I was sort of saying how they are and dress are kind of in relevance of them as a person and performer.  Absolutely though, what we all find attractive is subjective and unique to each individual.  I do think the stereotypes are there and are portrayed that way and always will be but even though I said what I said, I don't find Adele an unattractive woman at all, but if she were wearing and carrying on like Taylor Swift, not sure I'd feel the same way.

But that's not an indicator of the importance of image; Paul McCartney would look douchey doing Freddie Mercury's stage moves, too.  And I'm not sure I'd want to see Fish acting like Gene Simmons on stage either.   But we do what's right for us, and which fits our approach to our art. 

I think Taylor Swift is a beautiful, beautiful woman.  Not on stage though; I don't go for the spandex glitter body suits and all the dancing is lost on me. Those outfits do not accent that which I think is her strong suit (her elegance).  I thought Gene Simmons was an attractive man as a younger man; but on stage he looks like he should:  a freak from the depths of hell.   That doesn't accent accent what I think is his strong suit (his tall dark and handsomeness). 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #763 on: May 24, 2024, 09:52:07 AM »
Since there's no dedicated thread for them, I guess I gotta put it in here. Sunburst is back with a couple of releases in the past month, and a new album coming June 14 - Manifesto

Huh, they probably should have their own thread.  Definitely one of my most-looked-forward to releases coming up, the singles are quite promising. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #764 on: May 24, 2024, 09:57:30 AM »
I dont remember where but someone recently in a different thread stated Madonna was not relevant in relation to the Taylor Swift discussion....

"OFFICIAL: THE CELEBRATION TOUR TOPPED 225 MILLION DOLLARS AND BECAME THE THIRD BIGGEST GROSSING TOUR OF MADONNA'S CAREER!
It's the first woman with over 60 years old in music history  to gross +200million dollars in a single tour, 40 years into her career!!!
CELEBRATION, #Madonna
$225,580,345 Revenue ($2,819,754 avg.)
1,127,658 Tickets Sold (14,096 avg.)
$200.04 Average Price
80/80 Reported Shows"

and she just set the record for concert attendance for a single show at 1.6M people in Rio

Got this from a facebook post randomly (I don't follow anything Madonna, but I guess this is music news)

WOW

Absolute icon, can't deny it. And still getting it done all these years later.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: May 24, 2024, 06:10:08 PM »

I thought the first album was great but jeez I thought these were bland.  Obviously a me thing.  Pass.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #766 on: May 24, 2024, 06:21:21 PM »
I just saw that 311 had to cancel certain shows in Europe due to economical costs of touring.

I didn't know where to exactly to post it. But since it's becoming evidently infeasible for bands to tour now, it's telling how in peril the music touring industry is right now.

This includes how ticket prices are set.

Which brings up many thoughts for me. Mainly, it's becoming a catch 22 scenario. With this talk about suing Livenation/Ticketmaster for pricing...Are fans willing to travel a longer distance to see their favorite band?

It's an issue, as a fan of live music, we should be considering.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: May 24, 2024, 06:35:48 PM »
I just saw that 311 had to cancel certain shows in Europe due to economical costs of touring.

I didn't know where to exactly to post it. But since it's becoming evidently infeasible for bands to tour now, it's telling how in peril the music touring industry is right now.

This includes how ticket prices are set.

Which brings up many thoughts for me. Mainly, it's becoming a catch 22 scenario. With this talk about suing Livenation/Ticketmaster for pricing...Are fans willing to travel a longer distance to see their favorite band?

It's an issue, as a fan of live music, we should be considering.

What's your definition of travelling longer?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #768 on: May 24, 2024, 09:52:52 PM »
What's your definition of travelling longer?

Musicians are finding it impeding to find a reasonable means to tour.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #769 on: May 25, 2024, 05:31:47 AM »
I thought the first album was great but jeez I thought these were bland.  Obviously a me thing.  Pass.

Yeah, but it's got the Roy Khan vocal doppleganger.  I'll reserve judgment until I can give the whole album a spin.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion