Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 316508 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #2065 on: October 07, 2020, 10:03:46 AM »
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2066 on: October 07, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
New song...

https://youtu.be/Ebwji5FW_Qo

Meh....  Sounds like the song before runs into it, so I'll wait for the album before passing any sort of judgment.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2067 on: October 07, 2020, 12:04:11 PM »
Pretty much run of the mill, not impressed but still interested in the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2068 on: October 07, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
Ray Alder channeling "Empire" era Geoff Tate  :hat

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2070 on: October 07, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
Nothing mindblowing, but I like it

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #2071 on: October 07, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »
Makes me think of 90s FW. Pretty good if basic track. Ray has quickly become one of my favorite vocalists so I'm slightly biased with anything he sings on at this point lol
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2072 on: October 08, 2020, 06:06:32 AM »
I'll wait for the album.  I can't think of too many instances nowadays where pre-release singles are the best songs... in many cases, they end up being the worst (or least best) ones.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #2074 on: October 08, 2020, 08:12:24 AM »
Quite forgettable, unfortunately.

I'm not a fan of the drum sound this time. Actually, for most of my first listen I was seriously puzzled, thinking that they're programmed.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2075 on: October 08, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
I listened twice, and I won't listen again until I have the record. I liked it. Not as much as "Scars," but I dug it. It has an atmospheric side that calls back a bit to the APSOG and FWX eras. Looking forward to hearing where it sits on the album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2076 on: October 10, 2020, 06:15:59 PM »
 I heard the album once a few weeks back, and need to listen to it more. My first impression was that it's closer to FWX and Darkness in a Different Light than it is to Theories of Flight. I missed a killer hook or a melody that would grab me. Maybe it will improve in further listens...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2077 on: October 10, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »
New song...

https://youtu.be/Ebwji5FW_Qo

Queensryche wishes they could still make a song like that.  :biggrin:

I really like Ray's vocals and Jim's guitar.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2078 on: October 14, 2020, 10:21:01 AM »
I've been digesting the two new songs for a few weeks now.  I really like them both a lot.  During my first listens I didn't feel overly blown away, but I'm digging them both quite a bit now.  To me, "Now Comes the Rain" feels like a track that could've fit on Ray's solo album due to the water theme.  I must say, I'm enjoying Ray's solo album more and more as time goes on, and I feel like Jim has his work cut out for him since Abdow wrote some great songs for Ray.  But anyway, I'm psyched for his album.  The release date can't come fast enough!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2079 on: October 14, 2020, 11:36:03 AM »
 I'm happy to report that my second full listen was a million times better than the first one. So much so that I started replaying the album a third time as soon as I was done. This one is a grower!!!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2080 on: October 14, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »
I like it.  Good chord progressions and vocals.  Overall good mix and it does have a feel for some of the 90's stuff.  Pretty cool.  Can't wait to hear the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2081 on: October 14, 2020, 05:12:07 PM »
I'm happy to report that my second full listen was a million times better than the first one. So much so that I started replaying the album a third time as soon as I was done. This one is a grower!!!

Giggity. Looking forward to the official release.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2082 on: October 14, 2020, 08:37:21 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGQ4mpQjAR4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

mikeportnoy
Did an interview today for an upcoming biography on @fateswarningofficial talking all about my 35+ years relationship as a fan, friend and even honorary member! 😎
So many great memories...I also went through my archives to dig out some personal photos through the years...and figured I’d share a few here:

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2083 on: October 15, 2020, 06:48:13 AM »
This has reminded me I never picked up Ray's solo album? Is it worth it?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #2084 on: October 15, 2020, 07:08:17 AM »

In my opinion, it was a mixed bag. As a fan of Ray's voice, I'm happy to have it, but truthfully, there are only 3-4 songs that I will probably ever revisit. That being said, there's something for everyone on it, so I suspect that 'every' fan will find 3-4 songs to enjoy, regardless of where they are coming from.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2085 on: October 15, 2020, 07:33:20 AM »

In my opinion, it was a mixed bag. As a fan of Ray's voice, I'm happy to have it, but truthfully, there are only 3-4 songs that I will probably ever revisit. That being said, there's something for everyone on it, so I suspect that 'every' fan will find 3-4 songs to enjoy, regardless of where they are coming from.

I thought it was good, not great. But I applaud his effort to continue to record. This album only happened "by accident", as Ray told me off the record when I interviewed him in 2018. The band was promoting "Live Over Europe", and he seemed frustrated with a few things, and decided to do his first solo album.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2086 on: October 15, 2020, 08:41:16 AM »
I'll have to go back and revisit that one again.  It had some pretty good stuff.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: October 15, 2020, 10:04:49 AM »
There were some good songs, and I liked the album, but ultimately didn't feel any desire to go back to it. But there are two or three very good songs for sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2088 on: October 15, 2020, 12:23:52 PM »

I would strongly recommend caution if you are expecting anything even remotely close to Redemption or Fates Warning

I found it unlistenable to be honest. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2089 on: October 15, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »
I like his solo album quite a bit.  I certainly agree that you shouldn't expect Fates Warning, but I find it very enjoyable and Ray sounds great.  Think I'll listen to it now in fact. :)

Online WardySI

« Reply #2090 on: October 18, 2020, 12:08:46 AM »

What The Water Wants was my AOTY.  While it may not be Fates or Redemption level progression and whatnot, off the back of Theories Of Flight, Ray is in top form and brings his A game.

Deep shades of Promised Land run through the album (note dark and may require right mood/setting) but there's a decent number of rockers here too and on occasion Ray stretches such as he does on Crown Of Thorns which is sublime!  Album highlight fer this fan however is Wait, killer song strong chorus, has a kinda Seven Stars about it perhaps?

Anyway, perhaps not as 'instantly' memorable as Theories but repeat listens reward and on occasion Ray serves up a song or two that equal anything by recent Fates \m/

Highly recommended Ray's solo album and hope he gets around to a follow-up sooner than later.

Loving these first two Fates songs too, Rain def has a slight Firefly vibe about it too which is very welcome  ;D

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2091 on: October 19, 2020, 11:58:38 AM »
Count me among those who thought Ray's solo album was terrific -- musically and lyrically.  I played it to death late last year and earlier this year.  Also, kudos to Mike Adbow for taking the opportunity to contribute songs and knocking it out of the park.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2092 on: October 19, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »

Oh Lord yes. It's fantastic. As Mebert said, Mike Abdow shines. It's a thoroughly enjoyable listen and I still spin it regularly.

Glad those who have advances of the Fates record dig it. I am not listening. I want to be surprised. The couple of songs released have whet my appetite enough. Can't wait!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2093 on: October 19, 2020, 12:50:05 PM »
I'be been on a big FW mood lately, which means I've been listening to them regularly the past couple weeks or so. I'm still not familiar with their whole catalog, and there's only about 30 songs, for now, that I've been playing regularly but I'm really enjoying them :metal I know I'll be exploring more very soon (only Ray era FW, though, I still can't stand Arch's vocals).

Ray's solo album is also on my list to check soon.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2094 on: October 19, 2020, 10:48:57 PM »
What The Water Wants, is a great album. The Road, Wait and The Killing Floor are fantastic. Crown of Thorns, Some Days, and Under Dark Skies are great as well. The rest, while still good, I consider them usual rocker style songs. Ray is in top form on all the songs, and it does what a solo album should do for a vocalist, it showcases his range really well, along with his styles, from his somber tones to his harder edgy raspy voice.

Being a fan of Ray's vocals, in fact being among my top 10, this album did not disappoint at all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2095 on: October 20, 2020, 04:26:38 AM »
I have managed not to listen to the singles. Wanna do the whole album at once.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2096 on: October 20, 2020, 04:53:21 AM »
The more I listen to Now Comes The Rain, the more I like it.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2097 on: October 21, 2020, 10:19:28 PM »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: October 28, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
Nice to see the album getting good reviews!  That increases my excitement even more.  :metal

Also, in preparation for the new album, I've been listening to one FW album every day to countdown the days.  I started yesterday, which was 10 days until the album release, and I'm listening to my 10 favorite FW albums from 10 to 1. :)

10) Awaken the Guardian
9) No Exit
8) Perfect Symmetry
7) FWX
6) Darkness in a Different Light
5) Inside Out
4) Theories of Flight
3) Parallels
2) Disconnected
1) A Pleasant Shade of Gray

Also, perhaps we can modify the thread title?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:17:35 AM by Mebert78 »