Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 25107 times)

Stadler and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #700 on: May 04, 2024, 02:03:30 PM »
Bring back "Only A Matter of Time" with the "March of The Tyrant" outro. 😁😛
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #701 on: May 04, 2024, 03:10:12 PM »
Bring back "Only A Matter of Time" with the "March of The Tyrant" outro. 😁😛
That's what gets my vote!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #702 on: May 04, 2024, 03:57:07 PM »
I’m betting he won’t be able to hold back the tears once they kick into that first song in London. Will be cool for everyone there to witness such an emotional moment.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #703 on: May 05, 2024, 01:56:40 AM »
Wasn't my first bet, but I think now more than ever MP is going for a song from each album, but not in chronological order. Kinda to honor the band's history as a whole. Maybe fit into a few special ones like Majesty Demos or others.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #704 on: May 05, 2024, 07:20:54 AM »
Majesty songs during the 20th were cool, but back then they only had 8 albums. I would rather them tack a bit from a Majesty song onto the end of something else than give a whole song slot to a Majesty track when that space could go to anything else.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #705 on: May 05, 2024, 07:27:51 AM »
Wasn't my first bet, but I think now more than ever MP is going for a song from each album, but not in chronological order. Kinda to honor the band's history as a whole. Maybe fit into a few special ones like Majesty Demos or others.

Man, that's going to be one looooong concert........

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #706 on: May 05, 2024, 08:19:47 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rotating spot for a 'rare' track on this tour, like a Majesty tune or a B-Side. I still really hope they play 'A Vision' one day!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #707 on: May 05, 2024, 08:51:12 AM »
Majesty songs during the 20th were cool, but back then they only had 8 albums. I would rather them tack a bit from a Majesty song onto the end of something else than give a whole song slot to a Majesty track when that space could go to anything else.

I guess it depends what swap out is. I’d take Another Won over any number of tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #708 on: May 06, 2024, 07:06:18 AM »
I'd love to hear a Majesty tune, but a minimum, they gotta play a song off WDADU in honor of Charlie!
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #709 on: May 06, 2024, 07:49:43 AM »
I may be channeling my inner TAC here, but am I the only one that doesn't need to hear anything from the Majesty years, or from WDADU? 

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2024, 07:57:09 AM »
I may be channeling my inner TAC here, but am I the only one that doesn't need to hear anything from the Majesty years, or from WDADU?

Just Killing Hand, but only if James can sing the high A flat.

Otherwise, no, not interested.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: May 06, 2024, 08:06:43 AM »
Since they're celebrating the 40th anniversary of the band it would be weird if they just skipped the Majesty/WDADU years.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #712 on: May 06, 2024, 08:10:42 AM »
Yes.

Since they're celebrating the 40th anniversary of the band it would be weird if they just skipped the Majesty/WDADU years.
My thoughts exactly.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: May 06, 2024, 08:14:47 AM »
Okay.  I mean, I'm not going to leave the arena if they do, or anything.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #714 on: May 06, 2024, 08:16:19 AM »
Okay.  I mean, I'm not going to leave the arena if they do, or anything.

Do you think DT will be playing arenas on the NA tour? That'd be a huge step up for them, no?
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline illusionist

« Reply #715 on: May 06, 2024, 08:27:31 AM »
I don't know if anyone said it, but now that I'm thinking about it and based on Mike wanting to give us something very special, I'd vote for Eve. I guess many newer fans haven't heard this, but for us the older ones, that's a hell of a song.
One of their most emotional ever, so melodic and beautiful.
It would be a great surprise for the fans!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: May 06, 2024, 08:50:54 AM »
Do you think DT will be playing arenas on the NA tour? That'd be a huge step up for them, no?

No, larger theaters.  I meant "arena" in the broadest sense of the word.

Offline efx

« Reply #717 on: May 06, 2024, 08:55:36 AM »
I don't know if anyone said it, but now that I'm thinking about it and based on Mike wanting to give us something very special, I'd vote for Eve. I guess many newer fans haven't heard this, but for us the older ones, that's a hell of a song.
One of their most emotional ever, so melodic and beautiful.
It would be a great surprise for the fans!

I would love this. That song is special to me. Back in 95 my dad interviewed JP for radio here in Sweden and I was in the room awestruck to be sitting next to my favorite guitarist. He gave me the Silent Man single which had Eve on it. It's a great song and as someone who would love to see more of the instrumental stuff done live I think it would be a treat. It's my favorite instrumental effort by them.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #718 on: May 06, 2024, 09:01:55 AM »
I have a feeling people are really getting their hopes up regarding the set list. They will perform a show that's only three hours long including the intermission, which might seem like a long concert, but we're talking about a band whose average song length is nine minutes. I'm having a hard time imagining a concert that contains more than fifteen tracks, so I would immediately eliminate two scenarios:

- getting a song from each album
- getting some serious deep cuts

If this is indeed being marketed as a 40th anniversary tour, it would be strange for them not to include anything from the first album or the early demos. However, we can expect one song, two at best, most likely shorter ones. Only a matter of time and Another won are the safest bets. Then again, Status seeker and Afterlife are songs that Charlie actually wrote lyrics for, so that's also a possibility.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: May 06, 2024, 09:14:20 AM »

Outer TAC would definitely want to hear that.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #720 on: May 06, 2024, 09:18:27 AM »
No, I'm with you, Stads.  I certainly am in no hurry to hear Majesty or WDADU material.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #721 on: May 06, 2024, 09:39:08 AM »
No, larger theaters.  I meant "arena" in the broadest sense of the word.

Gotcha :lol

I was like "uhh, I doubt they're going to book hockey arenas.."
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: May 06, 2024, 09:42:18 AM »

Need is a strong word.  I'm not really excited about most of those songs being played, but there's some that I'd like to see. 

Yeah, for this reason, I kind of expect a song to be played.

Offline gborland

« Reply #723 on: May 06, 2024, 09:50:14 AM »
Ten thousand fans from all over the world are not converging on London on 20 October to hear a Majesty demo.
Graham Borland

Offline pg1067

« Reply #724 on: May 06, 2024, 10:56:20 AM »

I have zero interest in any Majesty era material, but I think they should do something from WDADU (other than YJ) in tribute to Charlie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #725 on: May 06, 2024, 11:03:40 AM »
I have zero interest in any Majesty era material, but I think they should do something from WDADU (other than YJ) in tribute to Charlie.

My thoughts exactly
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #726 on: May 06, 2024, 11:32:57 AM »

Exactly this.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kram

« Reply #727 on: May 06, 2024, 11:56:05 AM »
Agreed. I'm sure they'll be some sort of tribute to Charlie.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: May 06, 2024, 12:22:28 PM »
How about right before the second set, a short video montage with some audio, then James comes on and says "Hey, we've been lucky enough to rekindle our relationship with the Mighty Mike Portnoy, and it's a blessing. We're not so lucky in that we can't do that with someone who was at ground zero of this forty year anniversary. Can you please acknowledge, as we acknowledge in our hearts, the late, great Charlie Dominici.    This next one is a song about loss, and it is "The Best Of Times"."   

Offline HOF

« Reply #729 on: May 06, 2024, 12:25:03 PM »
I have a feeling people are really getting their hopes up regarding the set list. They will perform a show that's only three hours long including the intermission, which might seem like a long concert, but we're talking about a band whose average song length is nine minutes. I'm having a hard time imagining a concert that contains more than fifteen tracks, so I would immediately eliminate two scenarios:

- getting a song from each album
- getting some serious deep cuts

If this is indeed being marketed as a 40th anniversary tour, it would be strange for them not to include anything from the first album or the early demos. However, we can expect one song, two at best, most likely shorter ones. Only a matter of time and Another won are the safest bets. Then again, Status seeker and Afterlife are songs that Charlie actually wrote lyrics for, so that's also a possibility.

Time for some medleys!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #730 on: May 06, 2024, 12:25:22 PM »
Without bringing this debate back, what kind of songs they can play without killing James? Some of the early stuff is really high pitched and his recent track record (the last couple years) hasn't been too flattering vocally, to put it nicely.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #731 on: May 06, 2024, 12:26:51 PM »
They’ll have to rewrite the vocal melodies and/or tune the songs down. There’s just no other option at this point.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #732 on: May 06, 2024, 12:27:22 PM »
Without bringing this debate back, what kind of songs they can play without killing James? Some of the early stuff is really high pitched and his recent track record (the last couple years) hasn't been too flattering vocally, to put it nicely.

Well, not to change my tune here, but if they WERE to do a Charlie tune, that would be the ultimate chance to drop things down an octave, no?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #733 on: May 06, 2024, 12:36:15 PM »

Well, I don't know any of the Majesty stuff, but if they reworked something to the quality that they did Another Won, I'd be all for that anytime.

I love the WDADU tracks, so I'd definitely take one of those.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: May 06, 2024, 12:39:50 PM »
They’ll have to rewrite the vocal melodies and/or tune the songs down. There’s just no other option at this point.

If MP already has the set list ready and the shows aren't for another 5 months, sounds like they have 5 months to adjust the songs to make them work for JLB.  I just wonder if they'll actually do that.  I also haven't heard anything if JLB took any action the last year to help his vocals.  I do worry the whole reunion thing doesn't work out because JLB can't perform. I feel like the hype might die down quickly if the first show is a disaster from the vocals and it comes off like nothing has changed from Dreamsonic.

Ten thousand fans from all over the world are not converging on London on 20 October to hear a Majesty demo.

Not specifically, but they are going to see DT celebrate 40 years so the crowd should go in understanding it's possible.