Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553081 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6545 on: June 17, 2022, 07:18:58 PM »
I must have been in the right mood, because I ordered the set from Radiant. Why not? :lol

Seeing those epics on the big screen will be, well, epic.  :biggrin: :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6546 on: June 17, 2022, 08:20:24 PM »
As I've mentioned before, I downloaded the livestreams back in October and ripped the audio. So I've had these shows in my library for a while now. I noticed that some of the mistakes in the original audio from the livestream have been fixed.

For example, in the original audio, Eric fudged the guitar lead going into that first "Come ooooooon" in A Love That Never Dies. This has been replaced with a different solo. Maybe they spliced in audio from another performance on the tour?
Neal struggled a bit with the "Follow, I cannot follow" section of Not Afraid, Pt.2. Neal has redone the vocals for at least that section.
I'm sure there's others I didn't notice.

This isn't a complaint by any means, as these changes make for a more enjoyable final product. Just thought I'd mention it. And this is certainly nothing new. You'd be hard pressed to find a live album by any band that hasn't been touched up in some way.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6547 on: June 22, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »
Is this the only live document from the Innocence and Danger Tour? Or is there another in the works?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6548 on: June 23, 2022, 06:12:30 AM »
Is this the only live document from the Innocence and Danger Tour? Or is there another in the works?

I hope there is; that was a hell of a show, IMO.   

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6549 on: June 23, 2022, 11:44:07 AM »

I would think they'd record at least one of the European shows as a standalone release. They've sorta done that with the 3 albums prior to Innocence & Danger.

Just got done listening to disc 1 of 5 from the 2021 Morsefest set, performance is tight and sound mix is excellent as usual.

I may have missed this but was the 2020 Morsefest performance ever released? Could have been as a stream or digital purchase on their Waterfall app or Inner Circle?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6550 on: June 23, 2022, 11:50:01 AM »

I may have missed this but was the 2020 Morsefest performance ever released? Could have been as a stream or digital purchase on their Waterfall app or Inner Circle?

The audio is available on Waterfall. The video was only available for purchase during the event as a download and hasn't been available since.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #6551 on: June 23, 2022, 11:59:00 AM »

The audio is available on Waterfall. The video was only available for purchase during the event as a download and hasn't been available since.

Ok makes sense, was watching the special features and they have a behind the scenes feature of the camera work while the band is playing the Thoughts Trilogy and that looked really cool.

I hope they make it available for purchase sometime down the road for both audio and video.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6552 on: June 23, 2022, 12:38:09 PM »
It would be annoying if there weren't any physical releases of Morsefest 2020 stuff considering every other Morsefest has had some sort of physical product. Maybe Mike, ever the collector, will urge Neal to release Morsefest 2020, perhaps as another limited release from Radiant.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6553 on: June 23, 2022, 01:37:41 PM »
It would be annoying if there weren't any physical releases of Morsefest 2020 stuff considering every other Morsefest has had some sort of physical product. Maybe Mike, ever the collector, will urge Neal to release Morsefest 2020, perhaps as another limited release from Radiant.

-Marc.
Was Moresfest 2020 Sola Gratia?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6554 on: June 23, 2022, 01:44:28 PM »

-Marc.
Was Moresfest 2020 Sola Gratia?

Night 1 was all covers

Night 2 was the Thoughts Trilogy and Sola Gratia

I don’t see it every getting an official release other than maybe an Inner Circle exclusive. Sola Gratia seemed to be met with a resounding “Meh” upon its release so why bother releasing a live version? Wouldn’t surprise me if those songs never get played at a proper live show.

Also, weren’t in-person tickets like insanely expensive? Maybe Neal wants to keep it as a “you had to be there” kind of thing.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #6555 on: June 24, 2022, 03:38:11 AM »
Neal said at one point that he does not plan on releasing Morsefest 2020 due to it being streamed due to Covid. Of course, he said the same thing about Morsefest 21

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6556 on: June 27, 2022, 12:02:00 PM »
I hope they release Morsefest 2020 at some point. I've been collecting NM related live albums lately and that one's still missing for me (and MF 2021).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #6557 on: July 02, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »

I hope there is; that was a hell of a show, IMO.

Liked it better than the album. At least one live release would be nice and would hope it would be a stand alone but I'll take whatever I can get.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6558 on: July 03, 2022, 09:43:17 AM »

I would think they'd record at least one of the European shows as a standalone release. They've sorta done that with the 3 albums prior to Innocence & Danger.

Just got done listening to disc 1 of 5 from the 2021 Morsefest set, performance is tight and sound mix is excellent as usual.

Neal's June IC Newsletter just went out and he said they filmed and recorded the Tilburg show on the NMB I&D Tour.

I suspect that'll probably come out later this year or maybe even early next year. Neal seems like he'll be pretty busy over the next couple months anyway and will want a break after the TA European Tour leg.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6559 on: July 03, 2022, 10:43:40 AM »
I was also glad to see him refer to a couple of the songs he wrote on the tour bus as maybe being for "the trio", so hopefully there's a follow-up from D'Virgilio/Morse/Jennings in our future
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6560 on: July 03, 2022, 11:13:40 AM »
I had an idea for Morsefest 2023. Which will almost definitely never happen, but I can dream.

Morsefest 2023: The Power of 3
Featuring the NMB, Haken, and Big Big Train

Since the church is out of the question, and 2/3 of those bands are based in Europe, it would make more sense to have it in Europe. All three bands are likely to have a new album out at some point in 2023.

3 nights. 2 sets each.
1st set each night is a Storytellers acoustic kind of show featuring Neal, Nick, Ross, and whoever else from the 3 bands who wants to join. They play songs from Troika and some covers.

2nd set each night is a set from one of the headliners. 1st night Haken, 2nd night BBT, 3rd night NMB.

It would make Morsefest into more of a, y'know, festival. Rather than just 1 or 2 bands as it's always been. It would be less Morse at Morsefest, but I think it would be a cool idea to expand the event and keep it going.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 11:20:34 AM by Metropolaris »

Online ErHaO

« Reply #6561 on: July 03, 2022, 11:21:33 AM »

Neal's June IC Newsletter just went out and he said they filmed and recorded the Tilburg show on the NMB I&D Tour.

I suspect that'll probably come out later this year or maybe even early next year. Neal seems like he'll be pretty busy over the next couple months anyway and will want a break after the TA European Tour leg.

-Marc.

I unfortunately could not make it to that show, but nice to hear I can watch it in full glory later!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6562 on: July 03, 2022, 11:25:19 AM »
The problem with doing Morsefest in Europe, or too far from Neal's home, is that his biggest helpers (Joey and Amy Pippin, the latter of whom runs Radiant) when it comes to organizing it also live right there near Nashville, and the logistics of them all setting up a Morsefest on another continent would be far too challenging.  And making into a festival-like event where a bunch of outsiders set it up and run the show would take away from the intimacy of what is Morsefest.  Yes, things change, but unless Neal can find a way to make it happen close to home again, I'd be shocked to see another.  And there is no need to even call it Morsefest if you are going to make it a lot less Neal Morse-centric.  Just my two cents.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6563 on: July 03, 2022, 01:53:46 PM »
Kev makes a lot of great points, but how about a NMB / BBT co headlining tour?  That would be the ultimate show for me!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #6564 on: July 03, 2022, 02:44:40 PM »
Kev makes a lot of great points, but how about a NMB / BBT co headlining tour?  That would be the ultimate show for me!!

Or a Spock’s Beard/BBT tour with the original SB lineup (plus Ted).

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6565 on: July 03, 2022, 03:14:50 PM »
I'm sure Neal has some friends in Europe who could organize an EU Morsefest, like Geoff Bailie.

I don't think an overseas Morsefest is impossible, but very unlikely. Maybe under another name organized by other people, but it wouldn't be called Morsefest.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6566 on: July 03, 2022, 03:45:51 PM »

That would be great but would mean double duty for NDV.  And is Spock's still even a band?  To me it looks like they're not, with all the PSA activity.  I think I'll stick to NMB / BBT double bill lol.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6567 on: July 03, 2022, 04:23:39 PM »
The problem with doing Morsefest in Europe, or too far from Neal's home, is that his biggest helpers (Joey and Amy Pippin, the latter of whom runs Radiant) when it comes to organizing it also live right there near Nashville, and the logistics of them all setting up a Morsefest on another continent would be far too challenging.  And making into a festival-like event where a bunch of outsiders set it up and run the show would take away from the intimacy of what is Morsefest.  Yes, things change, but unless Neal can find a way to make it happen close to home again, I'd be shocked to see another.  And there is no need to even call it Morsefest if you are going to make it a lot less Neal Morse-centric.  Just my two cents.
Precisely, and I figure a big part of what it makes it worth it is the low cost of using a church and friends. Those savings would be wiped out in Europe.

Offline HOF

« Reply #6568 on: July 03, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »

That would be great but would mean double duty for NDV.  And is Spock's still even a band?  To me it looks like they're not, with all the PSA activity.  I think I'll stick to NMB / BBT double bill lol.

Would be fun to have a farewell tour, but then you probably wouldn’t want to make it a double bill.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6569 on: July 03, 2022, 06:16:24 PM »
Neal hasn't been a regular member of Spock's in 20 years.  It's over. Get over it, peeps.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6570 on: July 03, 2022, 06:44:22 PM »
All valid points Kev, all the more reason this is just my daydream rather than a genuine possibility  :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #6571 on: July 03, 2022, 07:50:54 PM »
Neal hasn't been a regular member of Spock's in 20 years.  It's over. Get over it, peeps.  :lol :lol :biggrin: :biggrin:

No, but he has done special shows with them since the break, written and performed songs with them, and he’s still good friends with/related to all of them. If they were going to do some sort of farewell tour, I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he might be willing to participate.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6572 on: July 04, 2022, 06:27:43 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it would really be Morsefest if it wasn't happening in the Nashville area. If they were able to find a new, suitable venue to hold another one then you could just have Haken and BBT schedule US tours that either start or end at Morsefest. I think the idea of that triple bill over the course of three nights is awesome, but I also don't know that they'd have a Morsefest where 2/3 of the headlining bands don't actually feature Neal
Photobucket sucks.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6573 on: July 04, 2022, 08:49:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't think it would really be Morsefest if it wasn't happening in the Nashville area. If they were able to find a new, suitable venue to hold another one then you could just have Haken and BBT schedule US tours that either start or end at Morsefest. I think the idea of that triple bill over the course of three nights is awesome, but I also don't know that they'd have a Morsefest where 2/3 of the headlining bands don't actually feature Neal

BUT it could be a very good chance for Morsefest to transform into something else. I nice FEST where many bands perform, and NMB could be the headliner. Think of something like ProgPower, or any other festival. This could be huge.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6574 on: July 04, 2022, 09:33:22 AM »
Yeah, realistically I think Morsefest as a standalone thing has run it's course. '22 is most likely the last one, but maybe Neal does one more as a farewell show somewhere down the line.
I'd love to see Progressive Nation make a return. Stuff like Cruise to the Edge and ProgPower have taken it's place, but an event like that actually going on tour would be cool to see. Especially if they get a bigger name like DT attached.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6575 on: July 08, 2022, 06:47:52 AM »

I just spent five days down in Nashville; I cannot believe that another venue couldn't be found.  We visited friends outside of Nashville - probably 15 minutes, 20 minutes max from Cross Plains, if I know how to read a map - and we passed at least two places that might have sufficed (I'm going off of pictures; I haven't yet been to a Morsefest). 

The point of this is to say, whether there is another or not is really a matter of will and desire more than logistics, IMO.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6576 on: July 08, 2022, 09:24:11 AM »

This is great news!  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6577 on: July 08, 2022, 10:56:38 AM »

This is great news!  :tup

It is, but I didn't say that.  ;)  :tup

And speaking of I&D, I did finally watch Morsefest 2021, but only just the Epics/Danger night. I'll have to go back and watch the first night sometime soon. I just really wanted to see them play those epics!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6578 on: July 08, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »

I just spent five days down in Nashville; I cannot believe that another venue couldn't be found.  We visited friends outside of Nashville - probably 15 minutes, 20 minutes max from Cross Plains, if I know how to read a map - and we passed at least two places that might have sufficed (I'm going off of pictures; I haven't yet been to a Morsefest). 

The point of this is to say, whether there is another or not is really a matter of will and desire more than logistics, IMO.

I don't think finding another venue is the issue; Neal could find one in the Nashville (and its surrounding areas) pretty easily, I am sure. But finding one where he is allowed to pretty much have a free run at doing whatever it takes to run the show would be the difficult part.  Plus, it goes without saying at this point that Neal has pretty much played all of his concept albums at Morsefest, so there isn't a lot left for him to play (anything new in the future notwithstanding).

Offline Kram

« Reply #6579 on: July 09, 2022, 02:35:26 PM »

I don't think finding another venue is the issue; Neal could find one in the Nashville (and its surrounding areas) pretty easily, I am sure. But finding one where he is allowed to pretty much have a free run at doing whatever it takes to run the show would be the difficult part.  Plus, it goes without saying at this point that Neal has pretty much played all of his concept albums at Morsefest, so there isn't a lot left for him to play (anything new in the future notwithstanding).
I have a feeling we will not see another Morsefest for a few years anyway.  I could see a scenario where NMB release a couple more albums, if they're outstanding albums (which they'll probably be), this could then stimulate a demand for another Morsefest - and at that point they'd find a way to make it happen.  That's what I'm predicting.