Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553706 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6510 on: May 13, 2022, 07:29:44 AM »
Love both epics and the guitar parts.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6511 on: May 13, 2022, 08:46:51 AM »
A bit of a controversial opinion here, but anyway, here it comes.

Just listened to the latest two NMB epics (Not Afraid pt. 2 and Beyond the Years) again back to back last night when I was out for a walk and just couldn't shake the feeling that Eric just doesn't fit the band at all, at least his guitar playing. His vocals do work and blend well with Neal's and Bill's, but every time he went for a guitar solo, I would be like "here we go again", and it was very distracting. Now, this isn't a criticism to his playing, the guy has this phenomenal Petrucci-like approach and has everything a guitar player like that would ever want to have, it's just that that kind of player doesn't really fit with NMB's music, imo. He's basically a prog metal guitar player stuck in a prog rock band, and even Mike P has made comments on how Eric's much more influenced by prog metal that any of the other guys who have a very different musical background and influences.

We know, however, that he's part of Diego Tejeida's new band, so I think we'll see more of him in his natural habitat :hat

I kind of get where you are coming from, but I think it's key to note that most prog metal bands are guitar-driven (or heavily feature guitar), while NMB is not a guitar-driven band, so there are less chances for him to dominate the soundscape.  Neal Morse's music, whether it be solo work or without the framework of a band, almost never calls for the electric guitar to be the star while the others fade into the background, so I think you have to view it through that lens.  But Eric's solos and playing within the framework of the NMB are always damn good, and of course Neal plays plenty of electric guitar as well.  I do think there are moments that sound a bit DT-esque, like the instrumental section if Beyond the Years or the intro of Bird on a Wire, and I am sure that is the combo of the Eric Gillette/Mike Portnoy influence, but that is fine. It adds different elements and/or more color to the overall NMB sound.  And I am not sure the "he is a prog metal guy stuck in a prog rock band" comment is that accurate, as he has shown he is more than capable of busting out killer solos that are very much prog rock.  See: the solos in The Slough and The Great Despair.

I don't disagree with this at all! I just think that he gets too much into "shredder mode" when it comes to his solos, and those moments are fantastic on their own, but in context of Neal's/NMB's music they sound a bit out of place.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #6512 on: May 13, 2022, 08:58:02 AM »
For me that heavier, metal-ish edge in prog rock without going full metal is what makes TNMB so special. Eric is a big part of why I deem TNMB one of the best bands out there right now, both studiowise and live. Mike often also has that metal energy to his playing. It is also part of why to me there is a significant distinction between NM solo and TNMB.
This.  Agree 100%

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6513 on: May 13, 2022, 05:36:30 PM »
For me that heavier, metal-ish edge in prog rock without going full metal is what makes TNMB so special. Eric is a big part of why I deem TNMB one of the best bands out there right now, both studiowise and live. Mike often also has that metal energy to his playing. It is also part of why to me there is a significant distinction between NM solo and TNMB.

Agreed.  I also think musicians are always far more diverse than many realize.  The idea that Eric is a prog metal guitarist playing in the wrong kind of band implies that he would only be a good fit in a prog metal band, and I highly disagree with that.  I am sure most thought of Portnoy as more of a metal drummer than anything in the earlier DT days, but I think time has shown that he is a better rock drummer than a metal one.  He is a good metal drummer.  He is a fantastic rock drummer. 

I don't disagree with this at all! I just think that he gets too much into "shredder mode" when it comes to his solos, and those moments are fantastic on their own, but in context of Neal's/NMB's music they sound a bit out of place.

I think he occasionally veers into "shredder mode" a bit too much, but I can also say the same thing about Petrucci, but by and large, I think Eric's playing is a big part of what makes NMB a different entity from not just Neal's solo career, but all of his other bands.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6514 on: May 18, 2022, 06:29:45 AM »
Another Story to Tell (from the forthcoming Morsefest 2021 Blu-ray):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXICRDt254

I am happy to see that those awful overlay effects that have ruined too many recent Neal video releases were not in that at all. :tup :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6515 on: May 18, 2022, 07:58:54 AM »
That's a great performance of my favorite song from the album. I don't even mind the key change.  :tup

Online faizoff

« Reply #6516 on: May 18, 2022, 08:09:17 AM »
Another Story to Tell (from the forthcoming Morsefest 2021 Blu-ray):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWXICRDt254

I am happy to see that those awful overlay effects that have ruined too many recent Neal video releases were not in that at all. :tup :tup

That was fun as is to be expected of the band, the overlay effects don't really bother me so much. It's the blue spotlights they use that makes the video unwatchable for me. The Spock's show had a huge amount of it throughout.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kram

« Reply #6517 on: May 18, 2022, 11:36:08 AM »
Great performance and the video looks awesome IMO.  First time I can remember Eric playing a strat.  And it looks like Bill is using one of Jordan Rudess's GEO apps at the end there.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6518 on: May 18, 2022, 03:57:57 PM »
TSOAD is very good, but it hasn't clicked as being "Great!" yet, even after seeing it live.  I say "yet".  I listened to the first half of it on Morsefest 2017 set and WOW.  It might be clicking.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6519 on: May 18, 2022, 05:31:39 PM »
TSOAD is very good, but it hasn't clicked as being "Great!" yet, even after seeing it live.  I say "yet".  I listened to the first half of it on Morsefest 2017 set and WOW.  It might be clicking.

TSOAD is different from most double concept albums in that is starts off slow and builds up to most of the best stuff.  Don't get me wrong, I love the whole record, but it feels like most of the best songs are near the end of Disc 1 or on Disc 2, while the running joke about many double concept albums is that Disc 1 is where it peaks and then Disc 2 is more of a mixed bag. Similitude never lags in quality and ends in a most awesome way.  Glad you are enjoying it more.  :tup :tup

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #6520 on: May 18, 2022, 06:05:11 PM »
Similitude took a while to click with me. I remember listening to it for the first time when it came out and I thought, “meh. Neal Morse by the numbers. Skip.”. I didn’t even finish the first disc. Didn’t listen to it for a while after that.
Fast forward to the announcement of The Great Adventure, and I decided I should finally listen to the whole thing. Now it’s a top 5 Neal record for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6521 on: May 19, 2022, 06:22:33 AM »
Similitude took a while to click with me. I remember listening to it for the first time when it came out and I thought, “meh. Neal Morse by the numbers. Skip.”. I didn’t even finish the first disc. Didn’t listen to it for a while after that.
Fast forward to the announcement of The Great Adventure, and I decided I should finally listen to the whole thing. Now it’s a top 5 Neal record for me.

See, I had the opposite reaction.  While the structure of the album was very Neal Morse-ish - the big overture, the presence of several main themes, the final song being a grandiose slow burner featuring some of those themes - I was thrown off at first by how different some of it was.  For one, you had these other guys singing a lot of lead vocal.  Remember that this was only the 2nd NMB album, and the amount of lead singing members not named Neal did on the main disc of The Grand Experiment was pretty limited (aside from Bill's one section in Alive Again, he and Eric pretty much only got a line here and a line there), so having the lead vocals shared was a bit of a culture shock, especially to hear quite a few songs where Neal was not the main singer of that song.  And towards that end, hearing a full-fledged Neal Morse prog album where he didn't sing the big ending of the last song was very different (Neal sings the epilogue at the very end, but Eric sings lead when the song and entire album climaxes).

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6522 on: May 19, 2022, 07:43:03 AM »
When I first listened to TSOAD, I hadn’t even heard TGE yet, so I wasn’t familiar with Bill and Eric’s voices. I heard The Ways of the Fool and thought Randy was singing.  :lol
At the time I thought the new vocalists were a nice addition, but the music still sounded like business as usual. I still think Bill sounds like a muppet.  :lol

Offline Kram

« Reply #6523 on: May 19, 2022, 10:32:28 AM »

See, I had the opposite reaction.  While the structure of the album was very Neal Morse-ish - the big overture, the presence of several main themes, the final song being a grandiose slow burner featuring some of those themes - I was thrown off at first by how different some of it was.  For one, you had these other guys singing a lot of lead vocal.  Remember that this was only the 2nd NMB album, and the amount of lead singing members not named Neal did on the main disc of The Grand Experiment was pretty limited (aside from Bill's one section in Alive Again, he and Eric pretty much only got a line here and a line there), so having the lead vocals shared was a bit of a culture shock, especially to hear quite a few songs where Neal was not the main singer of that song.  And towards that end, hearing a full-fledged Neal Morse prog album where he didn't sing the big ending of the last song was very different (Neal sings the epilogue at the very end, but Eric sings lead when the song and entire album climaxes).
I agree with the initial "culture shock" of having the other guys singing lead.  But now I think that's one of my favorite aspects of The NMB.  We can nitpick certain things and debate about which NMB album is best, but to me all 4 NMB albums are stellar!  I definitely like them more than Transatlantic now, and I think Neal and Mike should make this their number one priority and really try to grow this band.  I think they hit gold with Eric and Bill and the chemistry between all 5 of them is undeniable.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 10:53:37 AM by Kram »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6524 on: May 20, 2022, 05:13:47 AM »

I agree with the initial "culture shock" of having the other guys singing lead.  But now I think that's one of my favorite aspects of The NMB.  We can nitpick certain things and debate about which NMB album is best, but to me all 4 NMB albums are stellar!  I definitely like them more than Transatlantic now, and I think Neal and Mike should make this their number one priority and really try to grow this band.  I think they hit gold with Eric and Bill and the chemistry between all 5 of them is undeniable.

Agreed.  As much as I love Transatlantic, NMB is where the most magic is happening now when it comes to Neal Morse's music, so I hope they keep this going as long as possible. Considering that four of the five members are 55 or older, I hope they keep active and making as much music with the five as they can.  With any luck, this year's tour is seeing them talking about ideas already for the next studio record.  :coolio :coolio

Offline 425

« Reply #6525 on: May 20, 2022, 12:18:12 PM »
I agree with both of you. As much as MP is allergic to having a "main band," I really hope they devote a significant share of their time to NMB, because they have a good thing going.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6526 on: June 13, 2022, 03:46:16 PM »
https://youtu.be/ntyeqUI3xzw

The last 17 minutes of "Beyond The Years" from Morsefest 2021 have been uploaded by Neal. It's an amazing performance and everyone sounds great! Can't wait to get this 5CD/2BD behemoth of a package!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6527 on: June 13, 2022, 04:24:04 PM »
https://youtu.be/ntyeqUI3xzw

The last 17 minutes of "Beyond The Years" from Morsefest 2021 have been uploaded by Neal. It's an amazing performance and everyone sounds great! Can't wait to get this 5CD/2BD behemoth of a package!

-Marc.
Incredible performance by an incredible band.  They're all amazing but Bill and Eric are just so good here, amazing!  I'll say it again, I think Neal and Mike should stop messing around with their other projects and concentrate their efforts with the NMB and make it their full time gig. IMO, this is so much better than anything else they're doing nowadays and it deserves their full attention.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6528 on: June 13, 2022, 04:38:41 PM »
That is a great clip!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6529 on: June 13, 2022, 07:26:04 PM »
Band sounds good, and I love that they finally figured out that the overlay effects SUCK.  I just wish the crowd had a little enthusiasm as concert videos are always better to watch when the fans at the show actually look like they have a pulse. 

Offline 425

« Reply #6530 on: June 13, 2022, 08:28:25 PM »
I'm with Kev. Great performance, looks pretty well-shot and edited, but the crowd comes across as anemic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6531 on: June 13, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »
This is where the prog fans spin it as "true prog fans are respectful and quiet and want to watch the band play," but concerts are supposed to be fun.  The crowds were energetic both nights at Morsefest this year for Transatlantic.  The crowd on that 2021 clip looked like they were all given an Excedrin PM an hour before the show. :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6532 on: June 14, 2022, 03:31:46 AM »
I don't know, it is the in the middle of a new long ass "sit back and enjoy the ride" type of song with many slow parts. Maybe US crowds are different, but this does not seem out of the ordinary to me given the context. I am sure there are many parts of interaction during the concert.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6533 on: June 14, 2022, 06:44:43 AM »
I don't know, it is the in the middle of a new long ass "sit back and enjoy the ride" type of song with many slow parts. Maybe US crowds are different, but this does not seem out of the ordinary to me given the context. I am sure there are many parts of interaction during the concert.

You can do both, though.  I know for me, personally, the two NMB shows I saw were an incredibly emotional experience (I've really connected with the new album).   I wasn't rushing the stage or anything, but in my little place, I was really feeling the emotion and it didn't interrupt my ability to hear what was playing.  Honestly, I think there are a number of people for whom it's about being "cool", but that's purely a guess/speculation, and based on nothing.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6534 on: June 14, 2022, 07:08:40 AM »
I LOVE that section of BtY. Beautiful!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6535 on: June 15, 2022, 07:57:41 AM »
I really hope they release a blu-ray of this tour from a different show besides Morsefest.  I prefer just the five band members doing what they do without the overkill production.  Kind of like Live in Tilburg. 💪💯
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6536 on: June 15, 2022, 01:33:50 PM »
I’m sure they’ll release a live album from this tour. History has shown that Neal likes to double dip with live releases.

Morsefest 2017 / NMB - TSOAD Live in Tilburg
Morsefest 2019 / NMB - TGA Live in BRNO / Flying Colors - Third Stage
And I’m pretty sure Transatlantic is recording a show on their European tour, so with Morsefest 2022 that’s another double.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6537 on: June 15, 2022, 09:52:44 PM »
Got a shipped email from radiant today morning for the Morsefest blu-ray. Won't be able to dig into it just yet though.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6538 on: June 16, 2022, 01:08:01 PM »
Mine is supposed to arrive today. Maybe Radiant has finally gotten their act together.

Nah probably not

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6539 on: June 16, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
Got a shipped email from radiant today morning for the Morsefest blu-ray. Won't be able to dig into it just yet though.

I got my shipment notification email the other day. Current tracking says it should arrive by the 22nd, so just a couple of days before the actual release date.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6540 on: June 16, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »
It's here! And it's obnoxiously large like MF19  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #6541 on: June 16, 2022, 06:17:53 PM »
Very nice! Cannot wait to watch those epics get played!

My tracking number updated to say my set is arriving tomorrow! Guess my weekend watching is sorted!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6542 on: June 16, 2022, 06:20:17 PM »
I may still order it, but I just fear it would become another live Blu-ray/DVD that I never watch.  I don't watch those nearly as much as I used to in general, so I am far more choosy with the ones I buy now. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #6543 on: June 17, 2022, 02:22:12 PM »
I may still order it, but I just fear it would become another live Blu-ray/DVD that I never watch.  I don't watch those nearly as much as I used to in general, so I am far more choosy with the ones I buy now.
Same.  I get much more use out of the CD's or audio files as I do most of my listening nowadays in the car.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6544 on: June 17, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »

I generally buy all things Neal Morse and DT for that matter like this just to support them. I know this will go in the stack with the rest of them that I’ll watch a time or two a year and I’m cool with it. I just like to support the band when I can and this is an easy way to do it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind