Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554100 times)

Online kaos2900

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3535 on: February 01, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
I’d love to see ‘The Door’ from Sola Scriptura as the encore song.

That would be amazing. It does seem that TGA is shorter than TSOAD so it would make sense that they'd have more time for a 30 minute encore. Plus, the heaviness would fit in nice with the darker TGA.

All that said, I bet it's Alive Again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3536 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28:39 AM »
As awesome as Similitude is, because the last tour saw it played in full every night, I don't think any of it being part of the encore is something they would refer to as "special" in this context. I am expecting an epic like Alive Again, The Door or maybe even one of the early Transatlantic ones.  I am sure I will be way off. :lol :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3537 on: February 01, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
As awesome as Similitude is, because the last tour saw it played in full every night, I don't think any of it being part of the encore is something they would refer to as "special" in this context. I am expecting an epic like Alive Again, The Door or maybe even one of the early Transatlantic ones.  I am sure I will be way off. :lol :lol

It’ll be a (4) song Pantera set.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3538 on: February 01, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3539 on: February 01, 2019, 03:20:52 PM »

Yes please. Would very much like to see Eric rip on that Paul Gilbert solo in person.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3540 on: February 01, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
So while I think TSOAD had some stand-out tracks, I think TGA has some strong clusters itself. One of my favorite runs has to be all of Chapter 2, particularly the "Dark Melody"/"I Got To Run"/"To The River". I also really love the pair of "Fighting With Destiny"/"Vanity Fair", with the latter of the two reminding me of some of the quirky bits of Genesis' The Lamb. Heck, "I Got To Run" is so similar to "Broadway Melody of 1974", it's all I can think of when I hear it, but it's got that soaring chorus with Eric singing, so it is definitely different enough!

Whoever said that TGA isn't as proggy as TSOAD probably doesn't know what to look for, as I feel like this is as proggy as TSOAD, if not MORE so. The structures, meter changes, melodic choices, instrument arrangements and uses, lots of powerful playing throughout, makes parts of this record stand out to me. It's only been a couple of weeks since I've started listening to it, but it's beginning to sink in, its themes and motifs are growing within me. I am sort of glad that this album has its own set of themes to stand on, as if it had reused a lot of ones from TSOAD, I feel like it wouldn't have its own identity, despite being a sequel, it's still a different story. Doing what they did with Testimony 2 made sense, because it was still Neal's personal story, but this one needed to have a fresh set of ideas, and I'm glad they churned out a sequel that has a lot of unique ideas apart from TSOAD!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3541 on: February 01, 2019, 10:38:57 PM »

Yes please. Would very much like to see Eric rip on that Paul Gilbert solo in person.

That would be beautiful to see.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3542 on: February 02, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
A half-dozen listens in and I still like disc two better than disc one and I find I like this a lot better without any context as a concept album and and close ties to Similitude.  Don't know what that means yet. Hopefully, I'll have this solved before the show in two weeks.

One question I have:  Are Mike's vocals really auto-tuned?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3543 on: February 02, 2019, 05:13:26 PM »
Whoever said that TGA isn't as proggy as TSOAD probably doesn't know what to look for, as I feel like this is as proggy as TSOAD, if not MORE so.

Yeah....that was me and I no longer agree with myself.  :lol    When I mentioned that I had only two or three listens in....maybe one start to finish listen. The comment was based off of that (outiside of the Overatures) there are no real long extended ‘instrumental’ breaks of prog jamming. Minute or two here and there.....but nothing real long.
 Anyway....after multiple listens and being able to absorb this album more....it certainly hits the quota for prog rock. Loving the album and today I had the chance to listen to it all again I and what stuck out today was the guitar work/solo’s of Eric. He really friggin’ brings it again.

Offline DT2003

« Reply #3544 on: February 02, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »
And so, little by little, and with each passing listen...

TGA > TSOAD, any day of the week.

This will be true for 99 out of 100 fans of NMB.

THAT is some statement....... :facepalm:

and the last part is probably just flt flase.
Yeah it’s incredibly innacurate. Nothing against TGA as it’s a masterpiece as well, but TSoaD is perfect.
I have to apologize for this post. I now have about 10 listens and I am absolutely in love with this album. I honestly thought TSoaD was the peak for this band as that album is simply perfect, but man TGA is possibly just as good. It amazes me the quality of music Neal consistently puts out. I have always said that anything involving Neal and Mike is amazing and this album shows that once again. And the addition of Eric and Bill (and of course Randy) makes it even better.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3545 on: February 03, 2019, 01:41:43 AM »
I've listened about four times now and I agree that it's right up there with TSOAD. I love the curve balls in the musical direction for TGA, it keeps it fresh in the continuation of the story.
So here's the question:  If you combine these two albums into one big album, would this be the biggest, most grand, and epic concept album in the history of Rock-n-Roll??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3546 on: February 03, 2019, 01:57:22 AM »
I've listened about four times now and I agree that it's right up there with TSOAD. I love the curve balls in the musical direction for TGA, it keeps it fresh in the continuation of the story.
So here's the question:  If you combine these two albums into one big album, would this be the biggest, most grand, and epic concept album in the history of Rock-n-Roll??

Definiteley not.... there are a lot of bands who have done concepts over multiple albums. The 9 Ayreon albums are all part of one grand epic for instance.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3547 on: February 03, 2019, 04:52:59 AM »

Definiteley not.... there are a lot of bands who have done concepts over multiple albums. The 9 Ayreon albums are all part of one grand epic for instance.
Whoa!!  I did not know that.  Are the Ayreon albums as good of quality? If so,  I need to check them out..  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3548 on: February 03, 2019, 06:07:52 AM »
So, now that we've had the album for a week, what are your favorite song? These are the ones I like the best:

Welcome to the world
Vanity fair
Dark melody
Fighting with destiny
Welcome to the world 2
A Love that never dies

Offline DTA

« Reply #3549 on: February 03, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
Venture In Black stands out to me above all the others. I also like Fighting With Destiny, The Element Of Fear, and Freedom Calling. Honestly, I’ve listened probably about 10 times so far and the album is just not grabbing me yet as a whole. I could use a few more throwbacks to some of the Similitude themes for overall conceptual cohesion, and fewer repetitions of the Love Never Dies theme.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3550 on: February 03, 2019, 06:18:27 AM »
I've spent the weekend almost exclusively with the album, and it's getting better with each listen. I'm really loving it. Can't decide if it's better than TSOAD yet though.

The favourites so far:

Welcome To The World
The Great Adventure
Venture In Black
Fighting With Destiny
Vanity Fair (perhaps my very favourite at the moment, I love the "poppy" feel of it)
The Great Despair
Freedom Calling
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:39:36 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3551 on: February 03, 2019, 07:40:39 AM »
I like Vanity Fair, but I don't love it. Feels like the hook isn't as strong as it could be. 

Favorites so far:

The Great Despair (I suspect this will hold up as the most popular song from the record)
To the River
Dark Melody
Freedom Calling
A Love That Never Dies
Fighting with Destiny

Looking at my number of plays for the record so far (which updates every time I plug my phone into my computer since I listen to the songs in my car through my phone which is synched up to iTunes), the one song that is clearly the skipper so far is Welcome to the World 2, which has a grand total of 2 listens (every other song ranges from 8 to 14 so far in a little over a week).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3552 on: February 03, 2019, 08:07:51 AM »
Looks like the encore last night was..........

SPOILERS BELOW

A chronological medley of songs from every Neal Morse solo prog album and both prior Neal Morse Band albums.

The Land of Beginning Again & California Nights (Testimony)
Reunion (One)
The Temple of the Living God - part 1, segueing into the guitar solo for Part 2 (Question Mark album)
The Conflict - Do You Know My Name section (Sola Scriptura)
Leviathan (Lifeline)
It’s For You (Testimony 2)
Momentum (Momentum)
The Call (The Grand Experiment)
Broken Sky / Long Day Reprise (The Similitude of a Dream)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3553 on: February 03, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »
Looks like the encore last night was..........

SPOILERS BELOW

A chronological medley of songs from every Neal Morse solo prog album and both prior Neal Morse Band albums.

The Land of Beginning Again & California Nights (Testimony)
Reunion (One)
The Temple of the Living God - part 1, segueing into the guitar solo for Part 2 (Question Mark album)
The Conflict - Do You Know My Name section (Sola Scriptura)
Leviathan (Lifeline)
It’s For You (Testimony 2)
Momentum (Momentum)
The Call (The Grand Experiment)
Broken Sky / Long Day Reprise (The Similitude of a Dream)

That’s going to be insane to see!!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3554 on: February 03, 2019, 08:23:27 AM »
For sure.

It makes me wonder if they will expand that idea at Morsefest for night 1.

They could do all of the new album night 2 like expected, and then night 1 could be a run-through of the entire NM prog solo/NMB catalogue:

Set 1 (songs from):

Testimony
One
?
Sola Scriptura

Set 2 (songs from):

Lifeline
Testimony 2
Momentum
The Grant Experiment

Encore (songs from):

Similitude

And then they could pull out something really special for the encore on night 2.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3555 on: February 03, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
Well, that is a wild encore, but I totally called the use of "Broken Sky / Long Day Reprise" to end the show, which is a great bookend to the whole night! Now the question is, will they expand it at Tilburg, or play a pre-Testimony song before the rest it?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3556 on: February 03, 2019, 11:20:31 AM »
Gosh I hope they play the Broken Sky/Long Day reprise at the Seattle show!  This is gonna be one epic concert.. I know it's not metal, but   :metal :metal :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3557 on: February 03, 2019, 11:46:46 AM »
What? I thought this was the Neal Morse Band, why are they playing songs from Neal’s solo caralog? Jaci needs to know about this asap :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3558 on: February 03, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »
What? I thought this was the Neal Morse Band, why are they playing songs from Neal’s solo caralog? Jaci needs to know about this asap :P

:rollin

They really should change Morsefest to NealMorseBandfest, as well!

-Marc.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3559 on: February 03, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Did Jaci come flying onstage and tackle neal.....rhose are a LOT of solo songs, lol

but really.......those are insane!!!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #3560 on: February 03, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »
Is there some joke about Eric’s wife I’m missing here?  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3561 on: February 03, 2019, 02:13:02 PM »

They really should change Morsefest to NealMorseBandfest, as well!

Did Jaci come flying onstage and tackle neal.....rhose are a LOT of solo songs, lol

:rollin :rollin

Basically she had a tantrum in reaction to a couple reviews of the album (one of them being Bosk’s) because they were giving a lot of credit to Neal for TGA. She just made sure everybody knew this is a BAND effort, how dare them give the credit to Neal Morse for an album released by the NEAL MORSE Band :lol It’s all in the last few pages of this thread.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3562 on: February 03, 2019, 02:49:18 PM »
At least she's zealous for the band and obviously supportive of Erics musical endeavors. I guess it's better than being indifferent and passive about how talented Eric really is.  It's nice to have your significant other in your corner.. :tup

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3563 on: February 03, 2019, 08:58:14 PM »

Yeah....ridiculously bad ones! :facepalm:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3564 on: February 04, 2019, 01:02:14 AM »
DT is really going to bring it with Distance Over Time, if they're going to top this as Album Of The Year for me  :P
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3565 on: February 04, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
Regarding TGA, I have zero problem with the number of Love Never Dies references.  It's a good theme, the references are well-done, and it is important to the overall story.  I'm not sure why they wouldn't be there.  I also don't see a need for more TSOAD references.  There are enough to tie TGA back to Similitude, and the ones we have are pretty well done. 

Regarding the encore, that's really cool.  :tup

DT is really going to bring it with Distance Over Time, if they're going to top this as Album Of The Year for me  :P
  Yeah, you know, as much as I like Distance Over Time, I think TGA beats it for me.

And lastly, I think the title of this thread needs to be changed.  I'm going to change it to "Official Neal Morse BAND Appreciation Thread."  I think it's best to acknowledge that everything Neal does is truly a band effort.  And besides, nobody wants any trouble with Jaci.  Nobody.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3566 on: February 04, 2019, 12:01:46 PM »
I'm slightly confused by all the talk about the Love that never dies theme. If I recall correctly, there are actually three recurring themes that feature the "Love that never dies" line when they're performed with vocals. One of them is great, the other one is fine, and the third one is quite underwhelming. I'm still having a hard time pin pointing at which point which one of the three themes appears.  :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #3567 on: February 04, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
The Love That Never Dies theme seems to occur in what feels like every single song on the first disc, I'm not sure what you mean by three different ones. It's all part of the same theme. A Momentary Change, I Got To Run, To The River, The Great Adventure, Venture In Black, Beyond The Borders all contain the same theme with slight variation and that's just what I remember on disc 1. It just seems like overkill and feels more like a lack of ideas and development.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #3568 on: February 04, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Honestly the Love Never dies beat down (it's what i call it, lol)  is what keeps this album stuck at an 8/10.

it's just a tad lazy.....i mean he always references things but this is a bit much.  it makes this album in a smaller box musically.

if people like it cool....but i hear it at the finale and the impact is DOA for me.

it's my main grip.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3569 on: February 04, 2019, 10:20:02 PM »

Yeah, you know, as much as I like Distance Over Time, I think TGA beats it for me.

Having listened too both albums, I agree 100%