Author Topic: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (FINAL ROUND RESULTS)  (Read 37895 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 3 HANGMAN)
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »
i mean, i'm not necessarily saying you should pick up the pace, but seneca's and Buddy's roulettes both started like a week before this one and they're both on round 6 now, while this one's on round 3

:\

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2019, 04:05:59 AM »
ROUND 3 RESULTS

Sacul: The Cardigans – Erase / Rewind

I think I heard some of their songs somewhere, probably here, and liked it but completely forgot about it. Let me say, this is the kind of stuff I want to get from you, really catchy and at the same time haunting, really quality pop music. I love, just love her voice. If it wasn’t for its smokiness it probably wouldn’t have had the same effect on me and I can’t imagine it without her voice. I like how haunting the chorus sounds, it’s been stuck in my head for days. Unfortunately, unlike most songs this one wasn’t really a grower for me. It’s like I heard everything there is to hear in first two listening and I was just relistening it later, it could get boring with repeated listens. But still a great song and the best in this round.

10.5 points

Cyril: Illyria – The Carpathian Summit

The longest song I got in this roulette so far and definitely worth it. I like it when black metal sounds so epic and mellow at parts, they definitely know how to make great music on both parts of the spectrum. On moments, during a heavy part, it even feels like it could be some other genre if it wasn’t for growls and heaviness, the melodies are quite prog sounding. I just absolutely love the melodies in this piece. The part I’m not too keen on is when the growls start (verses, I guess), it just loses the charm a bit but it gets it again with its melodic guitars later. It really reminds me of Agalloch and you know how much I like them. Sax part loses me a bit again, it doesn’t work that well here imo but it’s fine. After all, it’s a great song but a bit still overlong.

10 points

senecadawg2: Ben Howard – All Is Now Harmed

Ben Howard is one of those artists you can’t not hear of if you’re into indie folk. But somehow I never really checked him out. Actually, I think I did but only one song and didn’t like it so I didn’t try further. With this song I can see it is a grower, I like it more and more every time I listen to it and I think I will even more in future. Too bad there are two songs I like a bit better because this would get a point more otherwise. Production is kinda different than I’m used on but I like it. The thing that won me is definitely that chorus which sounds really beautiful. Can’t wait to check him out further.

9.5 points

TAC: Branch Arterial – My Curse

Right from the start this reminded me of Artificial Language, the band I heard in one of the roulette, but it’s less wacky and I like that. The weird thing about this are the vocals. I kinda like them but still can’t connect this music with his voice. I guess it would work a bit better with less heavy music. I don’t have much to say about it, it’s nothing too original but it keeps things interesting during all 5 minutes so I like it and enjoy it every time I hear it.

9 points

Lethean: Angra – Upper Levels

Somehow I managed to never hear a second of this band even though I’m familiar with the name. I have to admit I didn’t hear much interesting at first. The only thing I liked from the start were the vocals and vocal melodies which really reminded me of Symphony X, the band I like for the same qualities. The more and more I listened to it I started to appreciate other elements of the song and it turned out to be real grower. I’m not sure if it good or bad thing, at the middle it kinda turns into different song, even sounds more like older progressive rock which doesn’t go well with really metally riffing at the first part of the songs. All in all, it’s a good song but doesn’t sound too original and middle part sounds a bit disjointed. Will check out though.

8 points

Stadler: Jane’s Addiction – Three Days

I really didn’t know what to expect from this band, it sounds familiar but I didn’t even know which genre it is and I was quite surprised it’s alt rock from 80s/90s. The first thing I noticed is that it sounds quite similar to later indie/emo bands. But of course, it wasn’t Jane’s Addiction who copied the influence :P there’s not much I don’t like about this song other than it’s a bit too long and I’m not sure how I feel about vocals. Other than that I like the bass, tempo changes, guitar solo, vocal melodies, it’s really one of the best alternative rock songs I heard lately.

7.5 points

Evermind: Amadeus Awad – Lonesome Clown

Finally this band. I was interested in it since I first saw the album art in “What album are you listening to?” thread but it got lost in my to-check-out list, I guess. You probably know Anneke is my favourite female singer, even though she is everywhere I have a feeling I will never get tired of her. I was always fan of her more folk-style singing and it is (fortunately for me) in this style here. I’m not too keen on instrumental part, it’s just not too original, I’m afraid. I’m also not into keyboard-driven music that much. Anneke and Marco Minnemann both shine on this song and I’m afraid if it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t like this so much so I’m not sure I’ll like the album…

7 points

Puppies_On_Acid: Liturgy – Harmonia

Finally my type of black metal from you. Yes, it’s harsh and heavy but it also sound beautiful. The thing I like in some black metal and it applies here is that they are not afraid to use  more conventional riffs and melodies. Some riffs sound pretty much like something from classic heavy metal song. Production is quite muddy and I can understand if that’s intentional but I’m not into that, sadly. Growls sound really painful even if I don’t understand one word of it but I still like them. I guess you would get better score If this round wasn’t this good. Will check this band out.

6.5 points

wolfking: Persefone – Spiritual Migration

It seems everyone here is baffled I’m not into this band already. I got them in my second roulette and I didn’t hate it but I neither liked it that much. All elements I like are there but it still lacks something to make me love it, I guess I just don’t feel it. Sadly, it crosses that boundary of wackiness and chaos I like but clean vocals make up for some of it. My favourite part of the song is atmospheric part in the middle until the end but I don’t think they sound like that most of the time.

6 points

home: Frank Ocean – Nights
It was bold move sending me R&B/hip-hop considering I’m not into it but you get some bonus points so it turned out ok. Actually, it turned out more than that. At first, I just couldn’t get into it, didn’t really hear the appeal. I started liking it more and more later, especially the first part. Second part isn’t really my cup of tea so you’re getting slightly lower score than you would if it sticked to the style of the first part. Still, I’m pretty interested in his music, given how well this album is rated on rym and it has grown on me quite a bit in the end.

4 + 1.5 = 5.5 points

Kwyjibo: Soundgarden – The Day I Tried to Live

As you know, I love Chris Cornell. The reason I never checked out Soundgarden is that I started to listen to Audioslave fairly recently and never came to listen to this band. The only song I know is Black Hole Sun which I like. Here, in my opinion, Chris sounds I bit burned out during chorus and it is definitely too high for him, it’s straining his voice and that takes some enjoyment from the song. Other than that, it’s fine hard rock song but not really something I listen to all the time.

5 points

Kattelox: Magic Dance – In Their Eyes

So yeah, this sounds like something I would like. But… it also sounds a bit generic, both music and vocals, something you could hear during credits of not so good movie. Still as I said, I like this kind of music but it’s far from perfect synthpop and there’s nothing that stands out. Even though it’s catchy, in the end it just falls flat and it’s there, not great, not terrible.

4.5 points

FlyingBIZKIT: Nine Inch Nails – Ringfinger

The band I expected to receive for a long time, given how often I see it in other roulettes. I never checked them out because I don’t like this style that much and sadly it turned out it did not grow on me with this song. I just think this combination doesn’t work well for me. I can’t really describe it, it just get boring for me after same time, I don’t like repetitive music.

4 points

STANDINGS:
1. Cyril - 30 points
2. senecadawg2 - 26 points
    TAC - 26 points
4. Lethean - 24 points
5. Evermind - 23.5 points
6. Stadler - 21 points
7. Sacul - 20.5 points
8. FlyingBIZKIT - 20 points
    home - 20 points
10. wolfking - 18 points
11. Kwyjibo - 17 points
12. Kattelox - 16 points
13. Puppies_On_Acid - 14.5 points
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 3 RESULTS)
« Reply #352 on: July 27, 2019, 04:30:32 AM »
Glad I waited 2 weeks for that.  :tup

Will send in 24 hours.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #353 on: July 27, 2019, 04:44:18 AM »

Sarcasm?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #354 on: July 27, 2019, 06:26:52 AM »
Damn I thought you'd love that song, that album was one of my favorites of 2018. No freaking clue what you like now so I'm saying fuck it. Will send soon  :lol

EDIT: Sent the very first thing I thought of. Nobody will suspect it's me who sent it. Ready to bomb :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:39:33 AM by Kattelox »
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #355 on: July 27, 2019, 06:38:42 AM »
Eyyyy second place!

Im really happy with that. The other Ben Howard song you heard mayve come from his first album(?), which is more acoustic. Theyre both fantastic for my ears, but I think this one may have more immediate appeal to new listeners.

Anyway, ill have to think this next submission over for a few hours. Something sad and suggestive of moving on.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: July 27, 2019, 07:43:52 AM »
Falling behind, oh well. I'll send today, had a song in mind for quite a while now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: July 27, 2019, 09:50:09 AM »
the "sax part" (except it's a trumpet) is the best part of the entire thing though  :P
i haven't actually thought about what to send for the next round but i'll find something, probably
i guess i should try harder in this roulette

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #358 on: July 27, 2019, 11:44:10 AM »
the "sax part" (except it's a trumpet) is the best part of the entire thing though  :P
i haven't actually thought about what to send for the next round but i'll find something, probably
i guess i should try harder in this roulette
That trumpet part is definitely awesome.

How is it you are leading this thing and I'm bringing up the rear. Shouldn't we be like right next to each other in the standings like every other roulette we are in together...  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: July 27, 2019, 11:49:01 AM »
i'm not really entering puppies-core here tho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #360 on: July 27, 2019, 11:52:14 AM »
i'm not really entering puppies-core here tho
Yeah, true. I have no one to blame but myself.

I'm going in a completely different direction this round.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: July 27, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
TAC: Branch Arterial – My Curse

Right from the start this reminded me of Artificial Language, the band I heard in one of the roulette, but it’s less wacky and I like that. The weird thing about this are the vocals. I kinda like them but still can’t connect this music with his voice. I guess it would work a bit better with less heavy music. I don’t have much to say about it, it’s nothing too original but it keeps things interesting during all 5 minutes so I like it and enjoy it every time I hear it.

9 points

Nice, 4th place for the round.

Glad you liked it. I thought you might. The lyrics are a bit twisted for such an upbeat song. The rest of the album is worth a listen, but this is easily the best track.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #362 on: July 27, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »
Sent something super heavy
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: July 27, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »
Sent something super heavy
I did the opposite  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: July 27, 2019, 06:18:11 PM »
i sent something happy

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: July 28, 2019, 03:52:15 AM »

Sarcasm?

Yeah mate.  All good, don't stress.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
Still missing a few songs, keep sending!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: July 28, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
who besides dacul?

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #368 on: July 28, 2019, 03:44:05 PM »
Will identify them if they don't send in around 12 hours :)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #369 on: July 29, 2019, 01:21:44 AM »
Sent, but may have to re-send.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #370 on: July 29, 2019, 07:14:36 AM »
Still waiting for Sacul and Stadler

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: July 29, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »
c'mon stadcul
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 4 LISTENING)
« Reply #372 on: July 30, 2019, 07:07:22 AM »
Unfortunately, I have to start listening without Stadler's submission because I don't want this round to last too long as well. Picking up pace from now on.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #373 on: August 01, 2019, 02:51:10 AM »
I wanted to wait for Stadler but it seems like he won't send this round. I just hope everything is ok.

For the rest of you, first impressions:

A bit weird but riffs are pretty cool.

This one got me scared.

Too bad the rest of the song doesn’t keep the epicness of intro.

Feels sedated and bland at first.

The weirdest thing I received so far but also pretty interesting, has a growing potential.

Over the top, I don’t think I’ll ever get into it…

Gets better when it picks up pace.

I think I will need special state of mind to enjoy this but I can see myself getting lost in it.

Other than the solo it’s pretty generic song.

I like how it sounds both traditional and modern at the same time.

Totally boring and forgettable.

Pretty soothing song but other than that not too interesting.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #374 on: August 01, 2019, 06:00:33 AM »

Feels sedated and bland at first.

Gets better when it picks up pace.

I think I will need special state of mind to enjoy this but I can see myself getting lost in it.

Totally boring and forgettable.

Pretty soothing song but other than that not too interesting.

Mine's probably one of these, the possibilities for scoring low again are there.  :metal :biggrin:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (ROUND 4 FIRST IMPRESSIONS)
« Reply #375 on: August 01, 2019, 06:25:40 AM »
The forecast looks grim. I have no read on which mine could be. Have mercy.  :corn

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #376 on: August 01, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I'm scared.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #377 on: August 01, 2019, 08:33:54 AM »
Yeah, this is the worst round so far. Only two songs I'd say I really love, some are ok and some meh. But I'll take few more days.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #378 on: August 01, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
I bet I'll get a score

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Third Roulette v. Tastebreakers (HANGMAN 4)
« Reply #379 on: August 01, 2019, 01:47:17 PM »
:huh: : _________ - _____ ____
:huh: : ________ - ______
:huh: : ___ - ____
:huh: : _________ - _______ ___ ___ ___
:huh: : ________ - _______ ______
:huh: : ______ ______ - ___ ____ ___ _____
:huh: : ___ - __________
:huh: : __ ________ _______ - _______ __ ___ _____ ______
:huh: : ____ ______ - ______ ____ __ ___ ____ __ ___
:huh: : _________ - ________
:huh: : __________ - _____ ______
:huh: : ____ _______ - ____ __ ______

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: August 01, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
H

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #381 on: August 01, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »
:huh: : _________ - _____ ____
:huh: : ________ - ______
:huh: : ___ - ____
:huh: : ______h__ - _______ ___ ___ ___
:huh: : ___h____ - ____h__ ______
:huh: : ______ H_____ - ___ ____ _h_ ____h
:huh: : ___ - __________
:huh: : __ _h______ _______ - _______ __ _h_ _____ ______
:huh: : ___h ______ - ______ ____ __ _h_ ____ __ ___
:huh: : ____h____ - ________
:huh: : __________ - _____ ______
:huh: : ____ H______ - ____ __ ______

H

Cyril waits 3

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: August 01, 2019, 02:02:45 PM »
A

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: August 01, 2019, 02:07:42 PM »
M

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #384 on: August 01, 2019, 02:47:43 PM »
:huh: : _____a___ - __a_a __a_
:huh: : ____a___ - _____a
:huh: : M__ - _a__
:huh: : _a__a_h__ - _______ __a a__ ___
:huh: : ___hma__ - __a_h__ ______
:huh: : M____a H___a_ - ___ ___m _h_ ____h
:huh: : ___ - _a________
:huh: : M_ _h_m__a_ __ma___ - _____m_ __ _h_ __a__ _a_a__
:huh: : ___h ______ - ______ _a__ __ _h_ ____ __ Ma_
:huh: : ____h____ - ________
:huh: : ___am__a__ - __a__ ____a_