Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 576780 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2100 on: May 22, 2014, 05:05:05 PM »
Fuck, just read that Randy Coven passed away.  :'(

Saw that yesterday. RIP.

He was one of the best bass players ever IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: May 23, 2014, 07:20:23 AM »
Unisonic - For the Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08wDeWQqWnw

Pretty good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2102 on: May 23, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

Saw that yesterday. RIP.

I have his CPR album with Al Pitrelli. Very good.

The Unisonic sounds promising too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2103 on: May 23, 2014, 03:57:53 PM »

Saw that yesterday. RIP.

Love Pitrelli, will have to check that out.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2104 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:08 AM »

Saw that yesterday. RIP.

Love Pitrelli, will have to check that out.

CPR is really good. And don't forget his work on Ark's Burn the Sun. A truly unique bass player. Fuck, he will be sorely misssed.
RIP, Bro.

B.Lee

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2105 on: May 24, 2014, 02:50:39 AM »
I think I could be the only person around these parts who just doesn't rate the Ark album. I bought it years ago on a recommendation but its never clicked. A bit too loose and jam-my to me, not enough big choruses (there are one or two exceptions).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2106 on: May 24, 2014, 05:28:43 AM »
I think I could be the only person around these parts who just doesn't rate the Ark album. I bought it years ago on a recommendation but its never clicked. A bit too loose and jam-my to me, not enough big choruses (there are one or two exceptions).

You aren't the only one.  I've given it a few spins, and was pretty much 'meh' about it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2107 on: May 25, 2014, 03:48:41 AM »
Burn the Sun is where I first discovered Randy.  The bass playing on that album is crazy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2108 on: May 25, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »

You aren't the only one.  I've given it a few spins, and was pretty much 'meh' about it.

Same here.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2109 on: May 25, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
Just listening to the new HEAT.  It's okay, but such a step down from Address the Nation.  It's pretty inconsistent I think.  I lol at how melodicrock.com can give it 100%, wtf?

I thought the exact same thing after the first listen. Was pretty disappointed actually. But I couldn't get the closing track out of my head. 7 or 8 listens later, I think it is actually a stronger album than Address the Nation, but still not perfect. Not a fan of Mannequin Show at all, and the "ballads" are not as good as past ones. But somehow I feel that the overall effort is more focused.

Also found to be the new Sebastian Bach to be exactly as expected. One or two good songs with a bunch of forgettables. A shame because he can still sing pretty well. He just needs to find himself a full time songwriter who is willing to do something more than just straight up metal.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2110 on: May 25, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Yeah, I sort of get what you are saying with the HEAT.  It has grown on me quite a bit too and I find myself spinning it quite often.  At first I said it was inconsistent, but now I'm leaning towards calling it varied instead.  It's good, for me no way as good as ATN, but who knows, time will tell.

The Bach I didn't even bother with after hearing two of the tracks.

Also, did anyone else check out Avalon?  For me I have zero interest in pursuing it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2111 on: May 25, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Also, did anyone else check out Avalon?  For me I have zero interest in pursuing it.
I did, made a post about it a page or two back. You aren't missing anything.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: May 26, 2014, 12:54:39 AM »
Also, did anyone else check out Avalon? For me I have zero interest in pursuing it.

I've got a promo of it, but didn't even bother to listen. Think I'll give it a chance this evening.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2113 on: May 26, 2014, 05:42:54 AM »

Yeah, I remember that post well.  I knew you were the only one, and it seems no one else really cared for it either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2114 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:32 AM »
melodicrock.com just gave Avalon a 55.  Jesus, it must be crap.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2115 on: May 26, 2014, 06:13:40 AM »
On a Survivor kick today at work.  Vital Signs, when Seconds count, Too Hot For Sleep, I'll hit Premonition next.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: May 26, 2014, 06:21:23 AM »
Love Too Hot to Sleep.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2117 on: May 26, 2014, 06:24:05 AM »
Yeah the fact that they finally got a great bass and drum sound on that album makes it a top notch album for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2118 on: May 26, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »
Yeah the fact that they finally got a great bass and drum sound on that album makes it a top notch album for me.

I love the production on that album, plus it's damn good to begin with. I'd like Vital Signs just as much if it had the same slicker and harder (heh) production. Still a great album too though.
I also think Jimi Jamison's Empires is a hidden gem. It's a heavier progression of Too Hot to Sleep.

melodicrock.com just gave Avalon a 55.  Jesus, it must be crap.

For them to give an album less than a 90, it must be literal farts.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2119 on: May 26, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »

I'd forgotten it was out.  Will check it out on Spotify sometime this week.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: May 26, 2014, 06:52:22 AM »

I love the production on that album, plus it's damn good to begin with. I'd like Vital Signs just as much if it had the same slicker and harder (heh) production. Still a great album too though.
I also think Jimi Jamison's Empires is a hidden gem. It's a heavier progression of Too Hot to Sleep.

I had that on album and cassette but never got the CD.  I need to get it.  It's been a long time that I've heard that album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2121 on: May 26, 2014, 07:04:51 AM »
Now moving onto Night Ranger's Neverland and 7 Wishes.

BTW did any of you see the few picks I posted in the Steel Panther Thread?  I saw them this weekend and they kicked ass!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2122 on: May 26, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »

Same here.

Just gave it another chance this morning, and I seem to enjoy it more than I remembered.  B-

Now I'm likely to disappoint the fuck out of myself with Angels of the Apocalypse.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2123 on: May 26, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
On a Survivor kick today at work.  Vital Signs, when Seconds count, Too Hot For Sleep, I'll hit Premonition next.

Can't go wrong with any of them. Love Survivor. Vital Signs made my top 50. Too Hot To Sleep probably should have too. Played most of their albums the last week or two due to some surprisingly hot weather in the UK and I enjoyed When Seconds Count more than I used to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: May 27, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWKmrR-fKgg

This is fucking terrible.  Keep this man away from Jorn Lande and Russell Allen, thank you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2125 on: May 27, 2014, 05:43:54 AM »
Had a listen to it yesterday. It's a step up from the first Avalon, but that's not sayin much. It's amazing how Arjen can make Floor sound so good, but Timo makes her sound so bland. There are a couple of good tracks on the album, but mostly, it's mediocre.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2126 on: May 27, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »
I gave the new Avalon a listen too and I don't agree it's a step up from Land of the New Hope. In fact, I liked several track on the first Avalon, and on this one I only like Jerusalem is Falling, impressive song and a strong opener, like Avalanche Anthem, some tracks are alright and others are, well, bad. I wonder the same about Floor, and also about DeFeis. I totally loved him on Avantasia, but on Avalon II I wish I haven't heard his song.

I started to lose my attention at the end of the record so "THE PIIIINE" from 3:00 of the title track totally caught me off guard. :D I assume that was "the pain" though.

Buy this only if you really liked Land of the New Hope.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2127 on: May 27, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »
The DeFeis track sounded horrible.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2128 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:10 PM »
To change the subject, there is a new British hard rock band ding the rounds - Inglorious. They feature Trans Siberian Orchestra's Nathan James on vocals and he is just killer. Not much music heard yet, just a couple of samples on soundcloud, but there's potential.
Here's a cover of Burn, recorded live and Nathan is just fantastic. Does Coverdale and Glenn Hughes masterfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqsKLGHUJq8&feature=youtu.be

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »
To change the subject, there is a new British hard rock band ding the rounds - Inglorious. They feature Trans Siberian Orchestra's Nathan James on vocals and he is just killer. Not much music heard yet, just a couple of samples on soundcloud, but there's potential.
Here's a cover of Burn, recorded live and Nathan is just fantastic. Does Coverdale and Glenn Hughes masterfully.

Liked that but I have a feeling that on any original material the band (esp the guitarists) are not going to live up to the vocals.  The backing vox were horrific too so hopefully Nathan handles those JSS style in the studio.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: May 28, 2014, 06:51:57 AM »

Vox were good, but guitars were absolute shit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2131 on: May 28, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
The guitar playing itself was fine, but the tone sounded like every Frontiers records album ever. Get them some real rock guitars and amps, and then they have a chance.

But I loved the vocals.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: May 28, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
The guitar playing itself was fine, but the tone sounded like every Frontiers records album ever.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2133 on: May 28, 2014, 11:47:47 AM »
I'm not expecting the album to rock too hard - something along the line of Honeymoon Suite maybe. I'm expecting the keys to dominate the guitars but the guy has got some voice. He's singing for Gus G apparently on his new tour. That I would like to hear.
He was on The Voice UK a couple of years ago and the pop fuckwits didn't turn around. Probably because he was too good for them. WHat could they teach him?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: May 28, 2014, 12:06:06 PM »
Lowdz, this is the first time I've seen somebody post about Honeymoon Suite on this forum.  I love them and Derry Grehan is a killer guitarist.  Just cranked The Big Prize yesterday.