Author Topic: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER  (Read 2610 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2024, 11:50:40 AM »
As for Dark Matter, while I am enjoying the hell out of the album, it might be the worst sounding thing they've ever done. I'm probably in the minority here (it's certainly in line with modern production trends), but Matt Cameron's drums have never, ever sounded so bad to me.

Seriously.  And being brickwalled to death doesn't help either.  Great songs but sounds like a demo.

I wonder if a vinyl rip would sound any better.  At least the highs wouldn't be chopped off.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 09:42:58 AM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2024, 10:49:08 PM »
I seriously try and get back on board with every new Pearl Jam release but I just find so much new Pearl Jam is void of those strong melodies of their early days.  And their constant Spin The Black Circle type one line repeating chorus', such as is here with React Respond just bugs me.  Hence other than collections such as Lost Dogs, I'm one of 'those' type fans that can't get much outta them since Yield.

But Dark Matter does open pretty well and Wreckage is rather neat.  Do like the title-track, Waiting For Stevie rolls along nicely enough and Won't Tell is getting better with more spins really liking that one.  And Got To Give has a nice Yield era swing to it and is probably my favorite of the bunch.  While I was hoping they'd finish the album with a banger, album closer Setting Sun is very tasty too probably my second fave...

So is it just me or have they actually mixed things up way more than recently on this one because am very surprised at how much I'm digging this one and keen to dig in some more?

Sidenote, probably sacrilege to say but respectfully intended, as a big Nothing But Thieves fan I can hear many similarities between their Broken Machine stuff and the newer PJ here and anyway, when comparing I certainly hear the sound issues on this record already mentioned here (which sounds kinda scratchy or something to my ears).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 10:55:30 PM by WardySI »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2024, 11:24:19 PM »
I have not heard any new PJ, but people who criticize everything post-Yield make me go into automatic “PLEASE LISTEN TO BINAURAL” mode.  I love that album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WardySI

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2024, 11:33:03 PM »
K I'll have another dive into that one too soon.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2024, 04:23:02 AM »
I'm always astounded how underrated Riot Act is.  That's a great album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2024, 05:41:28 AM »
I have not heard any new PJ, but people who criticize everything post-Yield make me go into automatic “PLEASE LISTEN TO BINAURAL” mode.  I love that album.

It's my favorite PJ release and a top-10 all time album for me :metal

Offline nick_z

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2024, 03:12:19 PM »
Never got into Binaural or Riot Act, but I haven't revisited them in forever. Maybe it's time to do that...

I gave Dark Matter a listen, and I found it overall pleasant...nothing that blew me away, though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2024, 03:17:58 PM »
Binaural has two outstanding songs, Light Years and Sleight of Hand, but the rest is so-so.

I haven’t really given Riot Act much of a chance. Heard it once and not sure I got through it.

They’ve been really hit or miss for sure since Yield, and more miss than hit. But Backspacer is outstanding in that run.

Samples a little of Dark Matter the other day and it seemed kind of like standard late period Pearl Jam, but didn’t give it a close listen.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2024, 03:22:44 PM »
Yep, I did enjoy Backspacer too. Not sure I'd call it outstanding, though, other than it, well, stands out among the others ;)

The self-titled, "avocado" album has good tunes too, for the most part. I saw them live on that tour. Of course, regardless of the album they are touring, their live show is always a treat.

Offline HOF

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2024, 03:36:58 PM »
Self title has some moments and is a more lively album in some ways than a lot of the others, but I hate how brick walled it sounds.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2024, 04:17:05 PM »
Binaural has two outstanding songs, Light Years and Sleight of Hand, but the rest is so-so.

Nothing as it Seems is probably a top 10 PJ song for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2024, 01:13:46 AM »
I know it generally happens to every band that ever were but gotta be honest I really miss the angst of early Pearl Jam.  Silly I know, but there's still so much shit going on in the world I kinda wish they'd get a little more pissed about it a little more often :lol

Anyway spent the day with Dark Matter and definitely enjoying a lot of these tunes, so that's kinda yay for me I guess ;D   

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2024, 03:16:10 AM »
I think there was a deliberate attempt to be non-political this time round. There's definitely an attempt to have a hit here, the whole album seems to have been made to appeal to Spotify algorithms.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline WardySI

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2024, 05:50:22 AM »
I think there was a deliberate attempt to be non-political this time round. There's definitely an attempt to have a hit here, the whole album seems to have been made to appeal to Spotify algorithms.

You had me but then lost me!?  I generally listen if I enjoy so be interested in you explaining what you mean by Spotify algorithms?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2024, 08:43:21 AM »
Nothing as it Seems is probably a top 10 PJ song for me.

Right there with you, Brother :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2024, 09:00:58 AM »
Binaural, Gigaton and No Code are the PJ records I've never really connected with but they all have tracks I dig. I also love Nothing As It Seems.  I'm listin':

Ten
Backspacer
Vs
Lightning Bolt
Avocado
Yield
Dark Matter (bit early to place but hey)
Vitalogy
Lost Dogs
Riot Act

No Code
Binaural
Gigaton
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2024, 09:17:22 AM »
Well, I'm no expert on how Spotify works, but the album does strike me as being crafted to show up on as many "if you liked that you might like this" recommendations as possible. it just sounds a bit corporate, a bit clean, a bit commercial. A few years ago I would have said it's been crafted for radio, but radio's dead. The way you get people to hear new music these days is to get streaming sites to recommend it to as many people as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but it sounds like it's trying to attract new fans rather than appeal to existing ones.  Just my opinion.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline krands85

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2024, 10:33:49 AM »
New album seems decent on first listen. I've kinda of fallen out of love with the band in the last 15 years, as I didn't get much enjoyment out of the last three albums for some reason (Dance of the Clairvoyants is cool though).

The self-titled is possibly my favourite, but everything up until then is pretty great.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline WardySI

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2024, 03:52:01 PM »
Well, I'm no expert on how Spotify works, but the album does strike me as being crafted to show up on as many "if you liked that you might like this" recommendations as possible. it just sounds a bit corporate, a bit clean, a bit commercial. A few years ago I would have said it's been crafted for radio, but radio's dead. The way you get people to hear new music these days is to get streaming sites to recommend it to as many people as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I love this album, but it sounds like it's trying to attract new fans rather than appeal to existing ones.  Just my opinion.

No me either hence why I asked ;)

Interesting though never thought of it like that but I would suspect the Pearl Jam name alone would draw Spotify links but so far as the band crafting something more for new listeners I reckon this has more in common with Yield than their previous stuff but may well be alone with that opinion!?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2024, 07:25:31 AM »
I know it generally happens to every band that ever were but gotta be honest I really miss the angst of early Pearl Jam.  Silly I know, but there's still so much shit going on in the world I kinda wish they'd get a little more pissed about it a little more often :lol

Anyway spent the day with Dark Matter and definitely enjoying a lot of these tunes, so that's kinda yay for me I guess ;D

I hear you, but FOR ME, the early angst was "different" than the later angst.  I still say "Ten" is one of the best records ever made, by a long shot, and it's as "angsty" as they come.  Somewhere around No Code, though, Ed started to get too big for his britches, and the self-reflection, the complicity in the over all picture went away and he started to point fingers.   Jeremy was EDGY in the best possible way. There's nothing at all "edgy" about pot shots like "Bush Leaguer" (and I don't say that at all because of the direction of the politics; I take it on faith that the musicians I listen to are liberals).   It's, well, bush league.  ;)

Offline WardySI

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2024, 03:45:13 PM »
100% agree.

And I felt Vs, while had its softer acoustic (wonderful) moments, retained all the angst of their debut albeit spread about a little more.

Offline HOF

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2024, 04:02:44 PM »
Angst is one of those things that doesn't age well. If you're still angsty at 35 or over, you're doing life wrong.

Backspacer was kind of what I think an older rock band should be doing. Something more reflective and mature, if also still having a bit of fun here and there. I don't think EV should be writing songs like Why Go or Leash at his age. Or at least it would be hard to take those songs seriously from someone in his late 50s.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2024, 05:34:53 PM »
I think the 'angst' is probably what didn't work for me, and is a huge reason why No Code was the first album that actually caught my ear (and is easily my favorite '90s release from the band).

Songs like "Around the Bend" are unimaginable on a release like Ten.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2024, 05:35:41 PM »
I should add...I fully get 'why' Ten is so revered. It wasn't my bag back in the day, but it's appeal (just like Nevermind) is not lost upon me.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2024, 06:49:55 AM »
Further thoughts on their evolution (baby):

The first 2 albums were consistent from from to back. Pretty much great all the way through.

With Vitality there was an odd mix of styles for me. Standard songs (standouts for me - Nothingman, Corduroy, Better Man, Whipping), rough garage tracks (Spin The Black, Last Exit, Satan's Bed), some random arbitrary stuff (Pry To, Bugs, Aye Davinita) and some rather mediocre tracks (Not For You, Tremorchrist).
The highs on that album are incredible, the rest is so-so to garbage.

To a less-pronounced extent they stayed in the mode for a while. Some great tracks on all records but until Avocado and then Backspacer there was no record I'd play from front to back for a decade or so.

Still digging Dark Matter despite the snare sound. Glad to have them back after Gigaton.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2024, 03:51:33 PM »
Angst is one of those things that doesn't age well. If you're still angsty at 35 or over, you're doing life wrong.

Backspacer was kind of what I think an older rock band should be doing. Something more reflective and mature, if also still having a bit of fun here and there. I don't think EV should be writing songs like Why Go or Leash at his age. Or at least it would be hard to take those songs seriously from someone in his late 50s.

That's fair and maybe angsty wasn't quite the right word, that youthful drive into the unknown is something all bands move in from certainly could be said of all those big name grunge era bands ..

Still, regardless of age though, there's still plenty life and the world offer us all we get pissed about and can relate to when expressed through music from time to time.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2024, 04:23:02 PM »
I've been enjoying the new album a fair bit. My familiarity with the band before this was everything up until and including Yield (I started going through their discography but got sidetracked here, I am planning on getting back to the others past this point!) but this new one feels like a solid mix of different styles. Favorite songs so far would be Wreckage, Won't Tell and Waiting For Stevie. I don't really expect bands who are 30-35 years into their career to reach the benchmark set by their classic albums but for me this is great for what it is, at this point in their career.  :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory

Offline Duetsch Dream Dates

• Rocky Mountain High!
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2024, 07:27:57 PM »
I feel like after 'Riot Act' the quality of band's albums was really diluted from the various side projects the members were doing.  There were still a few goods songs in the bag ('Inside Job', etc.), but I don't think I've spun any complete albums a second time since Avacado/ST.  There was a real synergy and creativity from Vitalogy through Riot Act (even if the albums didn't sell like their earlier work) that was kind of lost in the mid-2000s.

That said I saw them in Oct 2014 and it was an amazing show, played every song of "Ten" throughout the entire set.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2024, 07:35:02 PM »
Spent the week away working had Dark Matter in the ears for most of it (which in itself sounds concerning LOL)...

Anyway finding far more melody and enjoyment in these songs than most anything the band have released in eons.  Even the more punk driven stuff I would normally pass on such as React Respond have grabbed ahold and pleasantly hearing lots of Yield in here too.

Gotta say am bloody impressed easily my favourite Pearl Jam since Yield and may well need add this to the vinyl collection  :metal

ETA looks like will be waiting on that LP copy just checked Aus prices and by comparison...

Maiden's 3 LP release (Senjutsu) cost $110

Pearl Jam 1 LP release $105

Insane 
:'(

« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 11:56:02 PM by WardySI »

Offline dparrott

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2024, 03:57:16 PM »
I've heard some people say that the Atmos version has better sound.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2024, 05:02:03 PM »
I've heard some people say that the Atmos version has better sound.

I think that's the point of Atmos generally speaking it should have a better sound  but think it's really only noticeable on surround sound type setups? I'm not enough of a tech head to know nor hear much difference regardless l, but clearly plenty do.

Honestly I don't have much issue with the sound of Dark Matter.  There's some noticeable compression but only slight IMO but think it sounds better than most their recent stuff.  The U2 influences in the opening of Upper Hand for example aren't as clean as I would've expected for example but certainly not to the level of say Backspacer which contains one of my later-day favourites in Force Of Nature, yet its sound gripes me a little.

Nothing major and truth be it shouldn't be happening at all these days but anyway, the material here is fucking great and the sound is pretty good so \m/

The price however still is not  :lol

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #67 on: Today at 12:32:20 AM »
Love Force Of Nature. A firm later favourite for me.

I'm not noticing the sound on DM anymore. It just is what it is for me now - another great PJ album!