Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 386758 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #1330 on: May 08, 2016, 08:14:15 PM »
Not sure what you're talking about.   :huh:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1331 on: May 08, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
That was directed at Jen. Sorry, I neglected to quote her post.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1332 on: May 08, 2016, 08:27:26 PM »
I figured as much. I just thought maybe I felt down the hole again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1333 on: May 08, 2016, 08:51:24 PM »
Zebra playing Take Your Fingers From My Hair.

:metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1334 on: May 08, 2016, 09:18:20 PM »
Oh so a Dream Theater cover. Nice
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: May 08, 2016, 09:21:51 PM »
 :lol

Well, back at the hotel.  Great 3 days.  They announced the headliner from next Saturday night in 2017.....

The Neal Morse Band!!!

Looks like we have to go again!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1336 on: May 08, 2016, 09:24:30 PM »
Count me in for that! How early do tickets go on sale?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: May 08, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »
Not until February of next year. That's when you can pick up the 3 day pass. Totally worth it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1338 on: May 08, 2016, 09:36:42 PM »
I'm seriously considering going, even if just Neal Morse is the only act worth seeing. Though judging by past years, there are always a handful of excellent performers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: May 08, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
2nd year now John and we love it. Though we're gassed for sure.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: May 08, 2016, 11:04:41 PM »
Boobies.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1341 on: May 09, 2016, 04:20:35 AM »
I'm guessing you watched the light saber chopstick video. That was fun.

yup! very cool idea.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1342 on: May 09, 2016, 04:22:51 AM »
Mornin all. It's 6:22am which means I just woke up my daughter for school AGAIN because the bus comes between 6:35 and 6:40 and I have to drive her down the road to catch it. So we're on schedule then, because this is how she does it every day. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1343 on: May 09, 2016, 05:39:51 AM »
Morning

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 09, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »
Morning!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1345 on: May 09, 2016, 06:07:43 AM »
Morning.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1346 on: May 09, 2016, 06:24:23 AM »
Morning Reap and Blub.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1347 on: May 09, 2016, 06:55:50 AM »
Morning. I don't think the sun this morning is going to last. I'm tired of the cloudy/rainy weather.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: May 09, 2016, 07:14:21 AM »
Started the morning great because I got the job offer for the job I was looking for.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1349 on: May 09, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »
Started the morning great because I got the job offer for the job I was looking for.

Congrats! That's awesome.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1350 on: May 09, 2016, 07:20:08 AM »

:woot:

Awesome!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1351 on: May 09, 2016, 07:25:51 AM »
Awesome, Reap.

This week might not be as nuts as I feared it was going to be, but of course that will remain to be seen.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1352 on: May 09, 2016, 07:27:09 AM »
G'morning all.

Mornin all. It's 6:22am which means I just woke up my daughter for school AGAIN because the bus comes between 6:35 and 6:40 and I have to drive her down the road to catch it. So we're on schedule then, because this is how she does it every day. :lol

Sounds like me, I'm routinely running to catch the shuttle to the train station in the morning. Although that's only because I know there's another one 15 minutes later I can take.

Photobucket sucks.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: May 09, 2016, 07:35:37 AM »
Thanks guys, better pay and better hours

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1354 on: May 09, 2016, 07:41:46 AM »

yay! congrats!

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1355 on: May 09, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »
G'morning all.

Sounds like me, I'm routinely running to catch the shuttle to the train station in the morning. Although that's only because I know there's another one 15 minutes later I can take.

that's definitely a nice little perk. In her case, I can no longer chase the bus down at the next stop and put her on it - at the beginning of the year this year the bus driver made a point to tell her to tell me that won't be allowed this year, so if I miss it I have to drive 20 minutes each way to her school to drop her off.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1356 on: May 09, 2016, 08:05:11 AM »
Outstanding!

Did a lot of yard work this weekend.  Our back yard used to have lots of trees, which the previous owners had removed.  Removed all the stumps, but left the roots underground.  as you can imagine, as those roots have rotted out, they're leaving soft spots all over the yard, that have sunken down.  Very dangerous, especially with the dog running around.  So I have to dig a hole, clear out all the rotted shit, then use a 2x4 remnant to pack down anything left, add fresh dirt, pack it, add more, pack it, etc., until the hole is to the top.  I figure this process is the best way to stabilize the hole against any settling that will occur due to rain.

So we've already filled in many holes over the last few years and Saturday, we filled in probably five more.  We've been buying 40# bags of topsoil at Wal-Mart for $1.38 apiece, which ain't bad.  We used three bags to fill in the holes in the back yard.  Went to Walmart and bought ten more bags.  Came back home and set about fixing some grassless areas around the house.  We had two places where we had to have problem trees removed.  Got the stumps ground up and everything, but never planted grass.  So of course, those areas being full of shredded wood are a breeding ground for every weed known to man.  One year, I let the the side of the house, where the one tree had been, get away from me.  By the time I decided to tackle it, the weeds were taller than me.  So this weekend, we also went through both of those places and a third one, roughing up the ground, putting down new topsoil (I used all 10 bags), distributing grass seed, and covering it in straw.  We got 3 bales of straw from a local guy at $3.50 a bale.  Not bad.  I've been tracking my steps via my phone lately, for a team step challenge at work.  It's a virtual walk of the Appalachian trail.  Every step you input moves your team further along the trail.  Saturday, I logged 18,669 steps.

So on top of that, the pool guys are coming to hook up the pool and open it next Monday, so I gotta order a 50# bucket of chlorine tablets for the summer, I'm going to pick up a holding pool for my fish, to work on tearing the pond apart and replacing the liner, so I have to buy a new liner and a roll of felt.  The liner alone will cost around $500.  Ugh.  I've cleared hundred of pounds of flat stone from around the pond perimeter.  And I've only scratched the surface of what all awaits me with this project.  This summer is literally going to kick my ass.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1357 on: May 09, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »
Thought I heard something.  From the North.

Guess not, eh?

Don't you have some packing to do or grits to eat or sumthin?
I've done plenty of both lately lol

Morning, everyone.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:40 AM »
How big is your pool Coz? How much does a 50 pound bucket last you?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1359 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:22 AM »

I don't recall specifically, I THINK it's around 15,000 gallons, if I remember right.  A 50# bucket of 3" chlorine tabs will last me the entire summer and I get it for $110 from In the Swim.  The pool is typically open from May to October.  The pump is on a timer, so it only runs from like 8-8.  I drop 6-7 tabs in the chlorinator every week to week and a half.  Also, the filtration system is the kind with the four big cylindrical filters, so those need to be pressure washed thoroughly before next Monday.  Also, we pressure washed all of the concrete surrounding the pool.  Had no idea how freakin' filthy it was.  Wow.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1360 on: May 09, 2016, 08:57:14 AM »
I have a very full week ahead of me but it is all doable. At some point in the near future my computer will be delivered (crossing fingers it's sooner than later). Have a lot to accomplish in these five days but should be fine.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #1361 on: May 09, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »

I don't recall specifically, I THINK it's around 15,000 gallons, if I remember right.  A 50# bucket of 3" chlorine tabs will last me the entire summer and I get it for $110 from In the Swim.  The pool is typically open from May to October.  The pump is on a timer, so it only runs from like 8-8.  I drop 6-7 tabs in the chlorinator every week to week and a half.  Also, the filtration system is the kind with the four big cylindrical filters, so those need to be pressure washed thoroughly before next Monday.  Also, we pressure washed all of the concrete surrounding the pool.  Had no idea how freakin' filthy it was.  Wow.

That's the best catalogue and has the best prices out there. We use the same place.

edited to add - is yours an in-ground pool? The talk of concrete surrounding it tells me it probably is, in which case it's likely many more gallons than that. Ours is I think 12,000 gallons and it's just a 4.5 foot deep above ground pook, I believe it's 20'. Can't quite recall the particulars. Not that it matters. Very jealous you have such a nice extended swimming season though! Upstate NY means ours will be open from June 1st ish through September 1st ish. We have thought about getting some of the solar panels from the In The Swim catalogue to try to extend it's usability by helping keep the water at a swimmable temperature, but I'm always told "maybe next year". At this point I don't hardly use the pool anymore anyway due to the fact that I feel old and gross, so I fear the time to bother has come and passed, especially with two of three kids out of the house. But we'll see. Maybe someday I'll get to call the shots and then I will just enclose the entire thing and use it year round.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 10:03:33 AM by JustJen »

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: May 09, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
Good morning. 

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1363 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:33 AM »
And a fantastic meeting with the boss done. That was a good way to start the week.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1364 on: May 09, 2016, 10:12:13 AM »

That's the best catalogue and has the best prices out there. We use the same place.

edited to add - is yours an in-ground pool? The talk of concrete surrounding it tells me it probably is, in which case it's likely many more gallons than that. Ours is I think 12,000 gallons and it's just a 4.5 foot deep above ground pook, I believe it's 20'. Can't quite recall the particulars. Not that it matters. Very jealous you have such a nice extended swimming season though! Upstate NY means ours will be open from June 1st ish through September 1st ish. We have thought about getting some of the solar panels from the In The Swim catalogue to try to extend it's usability by helping keep the water at a swimmable temperature, but I'm always told "maybe next year". At this point I don't hardly use the pool anymore anyway due to the fact that I feel old and gross, so I fear the time to bother has come and passed, especially with two of three kids out of the house. But we'll see. Maybe someday I'll get to call the shots and then I will just enclose the entire thing and use it year round.

On top of that, I didn't care for the chlorine tablets I got from Doheny.  They were all crumbly and not nearly as good quality-wise, as In the Swim.  Ours IS in-ground.  And it has a heater, which we have put to good use on many a cooler evening in the later months.  The pool goes from 3-ish feet on one end to around 6 feet on the other end.  We bought a middle of the road cover to put on it for days when we know it's going to be hot out and we won't be in it.  Does help keep the heat in pretty well.

We don't always close it in October, it's usually September/October, depending on how the September weather fares.  We constantly have company over using it, so it's been a good thing to have, as we've had plenty of parties and get-togethers.  On at least two instances, we've had all-night drunken pool parties where the sun coming up signaled that "Hmph, I guess we better get to bed."  :lol