Author Topic: The Stratovarius Thread  (Read 105229 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: STRATOVARIUS RELEASE NEW STUDIO ALBUM "NEMESIS" AND EP "UNBREAKABLE"
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2013, 03:12:48 AM »
That song is pretty damn incredible.  But another song without a solo and both songs were written by Mattius, interesting.  Still it's mature, well written, catchy and well produced, this could be the album of the year.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:45 AM »
That song is pretty damn incredible.  But another song without a solo and both songs were written by Mattius, interesting.  Still it's mature, well written, catchy and well produced, this could be the album of the year.

As some review says, there are a lot of solos in other songs...

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #352 on: January 16, 2013, 06:58:36 AM »
Halcyon Days is poppier than I expected, those synths sound like they could be in some dance song (not that it's necessarily a bad thing, just an observation)! These 2 new songs also make me seriously think TK's pronunciation skills have actually regressed - I mean, he's always had an accent but it only seems to get more notable with age.

Also, Jani is a "ghost" member of Stratovarius now? Interesting...

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #353 on: January 16, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »
Another review

Picture this. A Finnish heavy metal band with stars in their eyes and fire in their hearts joined the metal scene in the eighties. Of course, they were constantly competing with the massive wave of fellow European bands with the same dream. Despite the saturated scene, the band managed to create solid material and get noticed by a few record companies, then began building a name for themselves. However, something unknown to the band at the time, was missing. When Timo Kotipelto joined the band in the early 90's, the planets must have aligned, and even the return of Jesus Christ himself wouldn't be as miraculous as this one particular moment in time. After many lineup changes, they finally found their sound and ran with it, creating the impressive, epic, and unforgettable sound that power metal fans all over the world now know as Stratovarius.

Releasing some of the strongest albums in power metal history such as Dreamspace, Visions, and Destiny, Nemesis is a step above nearly all of the previous releases, providing an extremely enjoyable listen from the beginning to end, without any stutter-steps in between. The excitement has been building for months now about the release of Nemesis in February, with an EP titled Unbreakable releasing beforehand at the end of January. As soon as it's available, getting your hands on Unbreakable is definitely advised to prepare you for the greatness that is Nemesis.

This is one of those releases that must be experienced to be believed. The album has countless moments that take one's breath away. The hooks, harmonized solos, and the epic choruses are some of the best that Stratovarius has ever come up with, and every song is full of catchy moments that really make the album stick with you. From the early moments of “Abandon” to the last seconds of the title track “Nemesis” the album is nearly too good to be true. This is easily the best music that Stratovarius has put out in years, and ranks near the top of their best albums of all time.

“Unbreakable” is no doubt a single-worthy song, with catchy keyboard and grooving guitar riffs throughout the verses. Jens Johansson is in the forefront musically, playing a lighthearted keyboard melody that you will likely be humming for days. Coupled with a crunchy guitar riff provided by Matias Kupiainen, this track has everything that a power metal fan could ask for. The moment the chorus kicks in, anyone sitting still in their seats can only be deaf, as that is the only excuse to not enjoy it. Kotipelto's voice is lightly coated with reverb, and bouncing around in his best vocal range, he brings new meaning to the title of the track, as this is a seriously solid metal song. With little time to recover from the awesome that is “Unbreakable”, “Stand My Ground” follows with an angry sounding Kotipelto that quickly breaks into an uplifting “No one can bring me down..” chorus, echoed by many layered voices sounding quite heavenly.

The album moves on to a heavier track, “Halcyon Days” complete with fast-paced drums, roaring bass, and great string work. Eerie instrument layering through the verse riffs open into a god-like vocal presence from Kotipelto in the chorus. The synth, vocal patterns, and drums in this song just scream at you to get up and dance. So at this point in any album, you would expect there to be a song that is “Meh...okay...” so you skip on for a better track... but not on this album. Each song shines bright on its own, yet they flow together wonderfully. “Fantasy” and “Out of the Fog” both boast strong choruses and the orchestration is nothing short of fantastic. Another noteworthy track is the album's ballad “If the Story is Over” written with help from Jani Liimitainen, who works with Kotipelto in Cain's Offering, and graced us with his presence in Sonata Arctica from 1999 through 2007. Clearly no stranger to powerful, emotional music, Jani's help is definitely felt in this track. The lyrics and vocal phrasing are nothing short of stunning, all the while, the song builds from a slow acoustic piece into a massive presence on the album that you will never forget.

The album has a lot of the traditional Stratovarius power metal edge, but they have managed to evolve and develop their sound to much more rounded, matured, and polished heavy metal. Listening to it from start to finish makes me feel invincible, like I can stand up to whatever foe that world can throw and me, and I will remain 'unbreakable'. This album hit the very depths of my core, my will, my heart, and my soul. It came around at the perfect moment in my life to where I feel like I am a better person just for hearing it. It's not too often that an album can bring a tear to the eyes of this metal heart, but this album has done just that. This is more than music, it's a masterpiece, and should go down in the book of heavy metal as one of the best albums of all time. I can only hope for any of you reading this, that you will feel the album in the same way as I have, because I will never be the same again.

Rating:10/10

https://www.metalwani.com/2013/01/review-stratovarius-nemesis.html

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: January 16, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »
Bloody hell.  I don't think I've ever read a more positive review about anything ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: January 17, 2013, 04:00:20 AM »
https://www.bravewords.com/news/197207

Guitarist TIMO TOLKKI, who officially left STRATOVARIUS in 2008 following four years of in-fighting and general chaos within the band's ranks, has checked in with some unexpected praise for his former bandmates:

"Just heard two new clips, 'Unbreakable' and 'Halcyon Days', from my ex-bandmates. I am actually floored. These are really cool songs. The production is fresh and modern. Way to go!"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2013, 11:17:07 AM »
 :omg: That's like... Roger Water's complimenting The Division Bell.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: January 17, 2013, 02:14:23 PM »
If he's legit, that's cool, maybe he wants back into the band.  ;D

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #358 on: January 18, 2013, 02:08:37 AM »
this past wednesday in spanish media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mnHpIGTpQI

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #359 on: January 19, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
Good to see Jani Liimatainen using his vast talents. I wish he'd get together with Kotipelto for another Cain's Offering album.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2013, 01:30:37 AM »
:omg: That's like... Roger Water's complimenting The Division Bell.
If he's legit, that's cool, maybe he wants back into the band.  ;D
I remember that back in 2009 Tolkki said that Polaris sounds like a band trying too hard to be Stratovarius, although he loved Winter Skies.
Good to see Jani Liimatainen using his vast talents. I wish he'd get together with Kotipelto for another Cain's Offering album.
In a Finnish interview Jani said Cain's Offering might release something new, but he wants TK to be the singer again so it can only be done if he's not too busy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2013, 03:45:15 AM »
I can't stop listening to Halycon Days, by far one of the best things Strato have ever done, this has become my most anticipated album this year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
Yup same really looking forward to this, I'm pre-ordering the Japanese release  :D

Has this got a bonus track?

10 - Fireborn (Special Edition Bonus Track)
11 - Hunter (Special Edition Bonus Track)

09 - Kill It With Fire (Japan Bonus Track)

The song out of the fog is written by Jani Liimatainen.

Here you can see/hear a review of Nemesis, (in italian). You can hear a bit of some songs. The guy says the album is awesome, and really surprising.  ----------->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYfq5a3X0Z0

I'm loving these 2 songs so much, I think I'll pre order the japan edition too.  I've already pre-ordered the original version, but it was only $14, so who cares.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2013, 08:15:25 AM »
I really love Halcyon Days. Unbreakable was a 'pretty nice' song, pretty much what you'd expect from the first single of an album. I personally liked the piano and the vocal melodies, the choir and the heavy riffing and especially the electronic sounding synth textures, but overall the song gave me a bit bland feeling. Halcyon Days, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. They've gone even further with those electronic influences, which I find really cool. The 'dubstep' (I'm not an expert, but I suppose that's what it is) part is one of the most interesting things I've heard in power metal in ages. If there are other songs on the album that continue with this electronic theme, I'm not going to complain.

I'm not sure what to think about Jani's contributions to the album. I mean, he's a great composer and I've loved almost everything he has done since he left Sonata Arctica, so basically it's all good. I do find it a bit strange though that a band with four skilled composers wants to get songwriting help from a guy who's not a part of the band. But anyway, If The Story is Over seemed to be a really great ballad based on the live performance (even though I didn't really like Jens' playing there), so maybe I should just shut up and wait for the album.  :D

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »
Can i just derail from the current topic a sec. and say:

Eagleheart is amazing!! Just pure and simple melodic power metal!  :metal

Now: Carry on....
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
Eagleheart is truly great :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
I have a feeling this is going to be another "self titled" album for strat. :( 

EDIT: the last corus of "Unbreakable" is very stratovarius-y \m/

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »
What gave you that feeling? They are currently firing all cylinders (admittedly, I haven't listened to new songs much, as too not spoil the album) and I see no reason to believe that that might be different on Nemesis (though I could get it if you didn't like Polaris and Elysium, but they are my two favourite Stratovarius albums).

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: January 20, 2013, 01:09:10 PM »
Just the feel of the begingin of the song seemed to take a different direction, but i spoke too soon. if its anything like the Last chorus, its going to be one hell of an album. I loved Polaris and Elysium, and im hoping this can live up to those expectations .

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
The self titled wasn't really anything different for the band IMO, it just didn't have the fast songs, I liked it.

Still can't wait for Nemesis.  :metal

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2013, 02:44:59 PM »
I like Unbreakable, but it's typical first single from a forthcoming Strato album.
Look at the past singles, SOS, Hunting, Eagle, Maniac, all pretty much the most commercial song on the album, almost 'throwaway pop' in the context of the rest of the album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »
Bumping for an awesome Stratovarius show, in full, on YouTube:

Stratovarius Live in Tilburg, Netherlands, 03-03-29

Setlist:

1. Eagleheart
2. Find Your Own Voice
3. The Kiss of Judas
4. Speed of Light
5. Soul of a Vagabond
6. Destiny / Fantasia
7. Father Time
8. Medley (Fright Night / The Hands of Time / We Are the Future / Dreamspace / Tears of Ice / We Hold the Key)
9. Forever
10. Stratofortress
11. Elements
12. Will the Sun Rise?
13. Season of Change
14. Paradise
15. Hunting High and Low
16. Black Diamond

Sound quality is very good for a bootleg and the setlist is amazing.

:metal :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Stratovarius Thread
« Reply #372 on: January 28, 2013, 03:09:01 AM »
That is an incredible setlist.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #373 on: January 28, 2013, 04:37:28 PM »
New interview with Matias and Koto, noticed Jani Liimatainen paying some acoustic guitar in the video.
https://metalfromfinland.com/news/2013-01-28_22:41/stratovarius_members_interview_in_the_studio_video_available

Offline RazielSR

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »
Like I know English is not like Jens first like language, but like he like says like, like way too many times  ;D

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Yes, its true  :D He is always like always saying like  ;D

Another one:

more Jens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY71U-BL8W8&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdrsWY68Uz0

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2013, 06:12:14 AM »

Offline RazielSR

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »
Thanks mate, sounds pretty impressive, as it can from these short samples.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:11 AM »
Abandon sounds a little awkward, but will see how it works with the rest of the song.  Fantasy sounds awesome.  Kill it With Fire sounds amazing, can't believe this is a Japan track only.  Fireborn and Hunter sound incredible too, and these are bonus track too!!  Title track sounds promising too.

Looks like I'm definitely ordering the Japanese edition.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #381 on: February 05, 2013, 09:23:35 PM »
Haven't been able to listen to the samples yet but I've heard the two songs already released and they're definitely very promising.

I know it's a bit of an obvious point, but I was just reminiscing the other day how awesome their rebound has been. Before Tolkki left it was very hard to imagine a Stratovarius without him, since he wrote pretty much all their stuff. And it seemed like they weren't going anywhere but down, given the generally lackluster reception to the couple albums before Polaris. So when he left I just expected a breakup. But it's been the total opposite, fortunately.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: February 06, 2013, 04:04:18 AM »
From the time half the band were fired and that blood drinking Miss K or whatever her name was was announced as the singer, to now, is incredible.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #383 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
Definitely firing on all cylinders now, everyone contributing (bar the drummer) to the songwriting, I could say that Tolkki leaving was the best thing that could happen to the band, at that stage into their career?

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #384 on: February 06, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »
I know they all contribute a bit more now, but I think Mattias still does a vast majority of the songwriting. But yeah, he is an incredible musician. Even in technicality alone, he could play circles around Timo.

As much as I like the last two albums, I don't think Visions can be topped, in my mind. We'll see.