Author Topic: Last movie you saw? v2.0  (Read 53359 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Last movie you saw? v2.0
« Reply #1155 on: May 03, 2024, 09:56:13 PM »
The Fall Guy was such a hilarious fun comedy action movie chock full of 80s and 90s references. I never watched the 80s Fall Guy TV show but sorta figured it would have a lot of homages to it. There are some scenes I laughed so hard my ribs hurt like a mother fucker. The stunts are insane and I was expecting nothing less, the movie's a great love letter to the stunt people in the industry.  I'm going to try and watch it again if I can.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #1156 on: May 04, 2024, 06:33:51 AM »
watched Missing (1982) last night. What a great movie. Jack Lemon and Sissy Spacek rule
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1157 on: May 10, 2024, 03:35:02 PM »
Just got home from seeing Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was really good!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1158 on: May 10, 2024, 06:54:50 PM »
watched Missing (1982) last night. What a great movie. Jack Lemon and Sissy Spacek rule

Wait!?!? Did the user Great Ape pass away? :(
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:02:05 PM by Glasser »

« Reply #1159 on: May 10, 2024, 07:10:55 PM »
Wait!?!? Did the user Great Ape pass away? :(

I'm honestly not sure. I don't think they died IRL, but their account mysteriously vanished and it was never clear what happened. Either a ban or some kind of self-deletion, I guess. But if they were banned I never saw what/why. I did enjoy their posts, though.

EDIT: The fish filet McDonald's post was an all-timer.
Welcome to the Forums!

Online Dream Team

« Reply #1160 on: May 10, 2024, 09:08:55 PM »
You’ve taken to capitalizing I notice . . .

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1161 on: May 12, 2024, 06:01:50 AM »
Dune, Parts One and Two. Back to back in one sitting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1162 on: May 13, 2024, 07:08:29 AM »
Just got home from seeing Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes. Thought it was really good!

Can’t wait to see this. I’m surprised more people aren’t talking about it. I’m in the process of rewatching the trilogy in preparation to see it this weekend.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1163 on: May 13, 2024, 10:03:53 AM »
Watched Jaws last night for the first time in ages. Yeah, it's Jaws. Not much more to say in terms of quality.

I looked something up (I'd never noticed the shooting star before) and stumbled across a reddit about whether or not Quint's recklessness is what doomed them (or at least him). It was an interesting consideration. Obviously Quint made things much worse for them, and likely led to his own demise, but I didn't think of him as reckless at all. Arrogant as all fuck, clearly, and that's what did him in, but not reckless. He was very experienced and knowledgeable about what they were doing. He had tactics that had always proven successful, and even Hooper recognized this. He relied on these tactics and revised them incrementally if they proved inadequate. He was also very aware of the consequences and risks, and took them seriously. He was not suicidal, or careless with anybody's life. He just greatly underestimated the scope of the problem, again due to arrogance. Even smashing the radio, one of his bigger blunders, was more about arrogance than carelessness. Recklessness to me is disregarding dangers while barrelling straight ahead. That was not Quint.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

« Reply #1164 on: May 13, 2024, 10:16:06 AM »
watched Mad Max: Fury Road last night

what a crazy good action movie! excited for Furiosa!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1165 on: May 13, 2024, 10:29:14 AM »
Watched Jaws last night for the first time in ages. Yeah, it's Jaws. Not much more to say in terms of quality.

I looked something up (I'd never noticed the shooting star before) and stumbled across a reddit about whether or not Quint's recklessness is what doomed them (or at least him). It was an interesting consideration. Obviously Quint made things much worse for them, and likely led to his own demise, but I didn't think of him as reckless at all. Arrogant as all fuck, clearly, and that's what did him in, but not reckless. He was very experienced and knowledgeable about what they were doing. He had tactics that had always proven successful, and even Hooper recognized this. He relied on these tactics and revised them incrementally if they proved inadequate. He was also very aware of the consequences and risks, and took them seriously. He was not suicidal, or careless with anybody's life. He just greatly underestimated the scope of the problem, again due to arrogance. Even smashing the radio, one of his bigger blunders, was more about arrogance than carelessness. Recklessness to me is disregarding dangers while barrelling straight ahead. That was not Quint.

That's probably the most in-depth analysis of Jaws that I've ever read.  Not that I've read a whole lot of analyses about Jaws, since "it's just a movie about a big shark" but in general, I prefer even my brainless summer schlock to have a certain degree of intelligence about it, and you've pointed out how Jaws actually has that.  Most movies of this genre depend on the characters being idiots and making very poor decisions so the monster can eat them, or the murderer can murder them, or whatever horrible thing is going on, since it's a horror movie.  But back in the good old days, movies were reasonably intelligent even if they were just brainless summer schlock.  Those are the best ones.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1166 on: May 13, 2024, 11:38:46 AM »
Asteroid City. Excellent cast but didn't make ANY sense to me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1167 on: May 13, 2024, 12:04:06 PM »
Jaws isn't really "just a movie about a big shark."  IMO it's one of the 10-20 best films ever made.  It's an incredibly well-crafted film.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1168 on: May 13, 2024, 12:41:57 PM »
That's probably the most in-depth analysis of Jaws that I've ever read.  Not that I've read a whole lot of analyses about Jaws, since "it's just a movie about a big shark" but in general, I prefer even my brainless summer schlock to have a certain degree of intelligence about it, and you've pointed out how Jaws actually has that.  Most movies of this genre depend on the characters being idiots and making very poor decisions so the monster can eat them, or the murderer can murder them, or whatever horrible thing is going on, since it's a horror movie.  But back in the good old days, movies were reasonably intelligent even if they were just brainless summer schlock.  Those are the best ones.

Well...this describes very well pretty much every character in that movie other than the boat guy, the police guy and the science guy.  I don't know too many movies made before Jaws, but the whole "idiots belittle the smart/reasonable guy until it's too late" trope was EVERYWHERE in the late '70s and at its peak in the '80s.  It slowed down after that, but it's still around to some degree today.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1169 on: May 13, 2024, 01:06:01 PM »
Jaws isn't really "just a movie about a big shark."  IMO it's one of the 10-20 best films ever made.  It's an incredibly well-crafted film.

That's why I put it in quotes, to emphsize that it's not how I personally feel about the film, but how it's generally perceived.  It gets lumped in with monster movies and horror movies and typical silliness, but it's definitely a cut above.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1170 on: May 13, 2024, 01:13:11 PM »
That's why I put it in quotes, to emphsize that it's not how I personally feel about the film, but how it's generally perceived.  It gets lumped in with monster movies and horror movies and typical silliness, but it's definitely a cut above.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1171 on: May 13, 2024, 03:59:10 PM »
Asteroid City. Excellent cast but didn't make ANY sense to me.
Yeah, that one didn't click very well for me either.

Watched The Beekeeper on a flight today. It was very enjoyable.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1172 on: May 13, 2024, 07:25:49 PM »
Yeah, that one didn't click very well for me either.

Watched The Beekeeper on a flight today. It was very enjoyable.

Oh good, I like Statham so I'll give it a go, thanks!  :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: May 13, 2024, 08:44:39 PM »

That's a solid assessment on Quint. He knew what he was doing. Until he didn't. I believe there is even a specific point where we see that, but it's been so long since I've seen that movie I cannot recall the moment.

As far as an "achievement" goes, which is hard to define, but considering factors such as box office, critical acclaim, enduring legacy, accomplishment in the face of adversity, if you said Jaws was SS's greatest achievement, I wouldn't argue.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1174 on: May 14, 2024, 07:10:21 AM »
Well...this describes very well pretty much every character in that movie other than the boat guy, the police guy and the science guy.  I don't know too many movies made before Jaws, but the whole "idiots belittle the smart/reasonable guy until it's too late" trope was EVERYWHERE in the late '70s and at its peak in the '80s.  It slowed down after that, but it's still around to some degree today.

I agree; it doesn't take a ton of thinking to come up with other examples (Towering Inferno jumped into my head immediately).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1175 on: May 14, 2024, 08:31:55 AM »
That's a solid assessment on Quint. He knew what he was doing. Until he didn't. I believe there is even a specific point where we see that, but it's been so long since I've seen that movie I cannot recall the moment.
Yep, plain as day. Early on he tells a story about seeing shark able to submerge with 2 barrels on him. When this one goes under the boat with 4 Hooper asks him if he's ever seen a shark do that before, and he just shakes his head. That was when he knew it was a lost cause decides to head back in (and burns the motor up trying).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1176 on: May 14, 2024, 09:58:08 AM »
I agree; it doesn't take a ton of thinking to come up with other examples (Towering Inferno jumped into my head immediately).

The LAPD in Die Hard.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1177 on: May 14, 2024, 10:34:51 AM »
The LAPD in Die Hard.
The LAPD were 50/50. Powell offset DaWAYNE. The FBI guys were both idiots.

Paul Gleason made every movie he was in better.
E.F. Benson

Offline wgrio

« Reply #1178 on: May 14, 2024, 10:37:23 AM »
I watched The idea of you and I gotta say that it was pretty intereseting.

« Reply #1179 on: May 14, 2024, 11:47:58 AM »
saw Abigail last night. Silly, but fun horror film
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1180 on: May 14, 2024, 11:51:24 AM »
The Edge Of Seventeen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1181 on: May 14, 2024, 11:53:08 AM »
The Edge Of Seventeen.

Great movie
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1182 on: May 14, 2024, 11:56:43 AM »
Great movie

Really enjoyed it. Woody Harrelson was classic.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1183 on: May 14, 2024, 12:27:06 PM »
Curious if anyone has done these, I got an email from AMC about attending a secret advanced screening a few weeks back and last night I decided to go. The email just mentions the date of screening, movie rating and length and nothing else. Mine was R rated and about 2 hrs long at 7 pm last night.

It was a comedy called Babes, more of an indie vibe and it's releasing in select theaters this weekend. There were quite a few people at the theater, I'd say at least 3/4 full. It was a fun time and the movie was hilarious. Main cast were unknown actors and cast (at least to me). There were some legit hilarious laugh out loud moments which had the whole theater cry-laughing. I first thought it was a rom-com but it wasn't, just a story of two women friends from NYC that go through pregnancies.
Had a great time. I'll definitely go to more of these if I get the chance. Not knowing what movie you're going to see in the theater is an experience in of itself.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1184 on: May 14, 2024, 12:29:58 PM »
Curious if anyone has done these, I got an email from AMC about attending a secret advanced screening a few weeks back and last night I decided to go. The email just mentions the date of screening, movie rating and length and nothing else. Mine was R rated and about 2 hrs long at 7 pm last night.

It was a comedy called Babes, more of an indie vibe and it's releasing in select theaters this weekend. There were quite a few people at the theater, I'd say at least 3/4 full. It was a fun time and the movie was hilarious. Main cast were unknown actors and cast (at least to me). There were some legit hilarious laugh out loud moments which had the whole theater cry-laughing. I first thought it was a rom-com but it wasn't, just a story of two women friends from NYC that go through pregnancies.
Had a great time. I'll definitely go to more of these if I get the chance. Not knowing what movie you're going to see in the theater is an experience in of itself.

Sounds fun actually, was it a random thing? I never got an email to attend one.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1185 on: May 14, 2024, 12:33:20 PM »
Yeah I've been going to AMC theaters for ages and never got this kind of email. I mentioned it to a few of my friends and they've apparently gotten the email a few times. So it's probably picked randomly or maybe depends on how often you go to the theater. Not sure.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1186 on: May 14, 2024, 12:39:27 PM »
I've never gotten such an invite, but if I did I would go in a heartbeat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1187 on: May 14, 2024, 12:53:12 PM »
Many moons ago, my fiancée (now wife) and I went to the cinema to see the "final" Indiana Jones movie, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  When we bought our tickets, we were told that there was some kind of special preview going on for a new movie called Weekend at Bernie's, and we could stay and see it for no extra charge.  There would be an intermission in between films.  It was like a 1:00 PM show and we didn't have anything else going on, so we decided to stay and watch both movies.  Also, we got free posters for both movies.

Last Crusade is probably my favorite Indiana Jones movie, although that's largely due to Sean Connery.  So that was cool, definitely a good time.

But imagine seeing Weekend at Bernie's for the first time, with no idea what's coming.  The "twist" was bizarre, but then it became a thing, and indeed the whole point of the movie (which we didn't realize going in, of course).  We were laughing our asses off the entire time.  On the way out, I think there was someone asking us a few quick questions about it, and I don't remember specifically but I'm sure we rated it pretty highly.  Just a crazy, dumb movie, but lots of fun, especially if you have no idea.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1188 on: May 14, 2024, 01:09:55 PM »

Sounds like it might have been a test screening. Maybe there were guys with clipboards watching to see when people laughed.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1189 on: May 14, 2024, 01:44:39 PM »
Sounds like it might have been a test screening. Maybe there were guys with clipboards watching to see when people laughed.

I didn't take a look to see if there were people taking notes. I did see an interview with the lead actor/writer/producer that the screening took place a while ago somewhere in California and with the release happening this weekend, I don't know if they're going to make more adjustments to the movie at this stage. But then again it's entirely possible they tighten it some more before if and when a wider release happens.