Author Topic: Neil Peart - Dead at 67  (Read 41536 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: Neil Peart - Dead at 67
« Reply #560 on: January 12, 2021, 06:08:42 PM »
No.  Just no.  I'd much rather just live with the music and memories of Rush, and not have anyone try to recreate it/them.

Agree 15000%

Me too.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: January 12, 2021, 06:20:25 PM »
No.  Just no.  I'd much rather just live with the music and memories of Rush, and not have anyone try to recreate it/them.

Agree 15000%

Me too.

Yeah, I'd prefer Portnoy to stay far away from Geddy and Alex.  It would leave a very bitter taste I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #562 on: January 12, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
I think it would be awesome if Alex and Geddy teamed up with Mike Portnoy to make new music only, with a different band name.  Steve Wilson produce it?  Wishful thinking, but it would be really cool! 🤔😎
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #563 on: January 12, 2021, 06:27:34 PM »

Agree 15000%

Me too.

Yeah, I'd prefer Portnoy to stay far away from Geddy and Alex.  It would leave a very bitter taste I think.
I dunno, Portnoy has a great work ethic and can make things happen fast.  :tup
MP has a tremendous respect for Neil and the band. I don't think he would ever push to play Rush material.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 06:33:02 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #564 on: January 12, 2021, 07:59:04 PM »
I really hope they work with MP and put up some new music. I really think MP can do Rush and NP justice.  :metal
I would love to see the 3 of them get together and do something, but not as Rush. In fact, with Geddy's yodeling vocals on the last couple of tours, I'd rather see him stick to playing bass and just do backing vocals, and expand to a 5-piece, with a lead vocalist and a keyboard player. IMO, that has the potential of being very interesting and not simply re-treading what they did with Rush.

I'd like a Flying Colors thing; by that I mean, Geddy doesn't sing lead, but accompanies someone else who brings some songwriting to the table too.  Maybe a Raine Maida or someone like that.   I know, left field.

Honestly, I don't see that happening, though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #565 on: January 12, 2021, 08:00:33 PM »
Bring on Rik Emmet!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: January 12, 2021, 08:02:19 PM »
Can he still sing (seriously; a lot of those guys with the high voices have lost their edge)?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #567 on: January 12, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »
No idea ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #568 on: January 12, 2021, 08:17:32 PM »
I really hope they work with MP and put up some new music. I really think MP can do Rush and NP justice.  :metal
I would love to see the 3 of them get together and do something, but not as Rush. In fact, with Geddy's yodeling vocals on the last couple of tours, I'd rather see him stick to playing bass and just do backing vocals, and expand to a 5-piece, with a lead vocalist and a keyboard player. IMO, that has the potential of being very interesting and not simply re-treading what they did with Rush.

I'd like a Flying Colors thing; by that I mean, Geddy doesn't sing lead, but accompanies someone else who brings some songwriting to the table too.  Maybe a Raine Maida or someone like that.   I know, left field.

It wouldn’t really work for Rush material, but if they were going to work with someone in a new band I could see them doing something with Dave Grohl.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #569 on: January 12, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »
Rik - Vocals (and Guitar?)
Alex - Guitar
Geddy - Bass (and Vocals?)
Mike - Drums (and Not Vocals)

I don't think Rik has ever been in a band where he just sang, or Alex been in a band with more than one guitar, or Geddy in a band where he didn't sing, or Mike in a band with three Canadians, so it could work.

They would start off with all four of them swearing to never play any Rush.  Then eventually they would anyway (but only live, and only rarely) because Rush music is so fucking awesome, and everyone would have mixed feelings about it, including them.  Then they break up because it all becomes too awkward for them.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #570 on: January 13, 2021, 07:00:41 AM »
I think one thing we tend to overlook is the emotional tie both Geddy and Alex have to the material with Neil. It wasn't like they were Geddy's songs, or Alex's, that the guys then recorded and played. Every song, with minute exceptions, was a living embodiment of equal contributions, and is made up of equal parts of all three of them. For 2/3 of the band to play without that final third I think would feel wrong to the two of them, forgetting entirely what we as fans might think. 41 years making music as a group with the same guys....it would be like sharing a time-honored family tradition with some new guy you happen to know. I don't see Geddy and Alex doing it. For them to play Rush without looking back and seeing Neil, I think would hurt them more than please them.

That's my take at least. If they collaborate on different music, that would be something else entirely.

I am also a purist, who feels Rush without all three boys simply isn't Rush, and never would be.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #571 on: January 13, 2021, 07:17:10 AM »
Rik - Vocals (and Guitar?)
Alex - Guitar
Geddy - Bass (and Vocals?)
Mike - Drums (and Not Vocals)

I don't think Rik has ever been in a band where he just sang, or Alex been in a band with more than one guitar, or Geddy in a band where he didn't sing, or Mike in a band with three Canadians, so it could work.

They would start off with all four of them swearing to never play any Rush.  Then eventually they would anyway (but only live, and only rarely) because Rush music is so fucking awesome, and everyone would have mixed feelings about it, including them.  Then they break up because it all becomes too awkward for them.

That band would be awesome!!! Rik and Geddy could switch the vocals and Alex and Geddy could switch the keyboards in a live setting. I think, about playing Rush songs live, it would be more interesting (and somewhat more respectful to the absence of Neil) if they played only the more obscure Rush songs, the ones barely or never played live (ok, maybe Tom Sawyer or Spirit just to close the show).
But, like Hyperplex said, I think, because of the emotional tie that Alex and Geddy have with all things Rush related and, let's face it, their age, maybe we will never see they work together in any kind of band/project again.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #572 on: January 13, 2021, 07:26:54 AM »
Can he still sing (seriously; a lot of those guys with the high voices have lost their edge)?

Rik can still sing but he needs to transpose the songs to different chord structures in order to even attempt to hit the high notes which he definitely struggles with. He's still a better singer than Geddy (sorry Ged, no disrespect).

There is a promoter in Dallas that would bring Rik down to perform every year and he was always entertaining whether it was his band, with Dave Dunlop or just plain solo.

Now to Rush - Personally, I think the MP experiment would work. MP was a close enough friend with Neil that he was one of the few people that Neil disclosed illness to. As we know, he is a fan of Rush and I think he would approach the project with professionalism and dignity.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #573 on: January 13, 2021, 07:32:14 AM »
Alex and Geddy will never play with another drummer under the name RUSH.  Will they do a one off playing RUSH songs with different drummers as a tribute?  Yes.  I agree with others they might so another project with musicians.  I think it will not be a 3 piece band though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #574 on: January 13, 2021, 07:40:37 AM »
Alex and Geddy will never play with another drummer under the name RUSH.  Will they do a one off playing RUSH songs with different drummers as a tribute?  Yes.  I agree with others they might so another project with musicians.  I think it will not be a 3 piece band though.

Well I definitely agree with this. Maybe they could call the project Afterimage?  :(

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #575 on: January 13, 2021, 07:46:12 AM »
 They will never EVER perform as Rush with a different drummer. The closest you'll see is them guesting on a show, and eventually playing a Rush song or two.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: January 13, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »

Well I definitely agree with this. Maybe they could call the project Afterimage?  :(

It will not be linked to anything RUSH.   

They will never EVER perform as Rush with a different drummer. The closest you'll see is them guesting on a show, and eventually playing a Rush song or two.

Exactly. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #577 on: January 13, 2021, 08:10:08 AM »

Rik can still sing but he needs to transpose the songs to different chord structures in order to even attempt to hit the high notes which he definitely struggles with. He's still a better singer than Geddy (sorry Ged, no disrespect).

He always was.

I saw Emmett on the RES9 tour back in late '16, and he still sounded excellent.  There's a bunch of YT clips from shows he did in 2018, and sounds just fine to me.

I'm willing to be ok with Geddy and Alex doing some kind of performances together, but don't know what that looks like, and don't want it to be under the Rush banner, and only do Rush material as a tribute to Neil (and in limited fashion).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #578 on: January 13, 2021, 08:15:06 AM »
Personally, I'm Ok if Alex and Geddy would never play Rush songs again, really. But I will truly miss if they never create new music again - despite Neil's influence on them, what a great songwriters they are! But, if so, totally understandable.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #579 on: January 13, 2021, 09:28:48 AM »
Agree 15000%
Me too.
Why? If it was with a couple other guys as well as MP, and it wasn't branded as Rush nor just a Rush knock-off, why would that leave a bitter taste?

I'd like a Flying Colors thing; by that I mean, Geddy doesn't sing lead, but accompanies someone else who brings some songwriting to the table too.
Exactly!  :tup

Me neither - just wishful thinking on my part, but if anything were to happen, that's what I would personally wish for.

Nowhere near what he used to be able to do. I'd vote to find someone else for vocals.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #580 on: January 13, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »

It will not be linked to anything RUSH.   

Exactly.

At least Geddy -- and I think maybe also Alex -- said publicly (sometime between August 2015 and Neil's death that the two of them would never play as Rush again.  It's not even a question.  The way that he put it was along the lines of the following:  "Will the two of us make music again?  Probably.  Will it be together?  Maybe."  Given the comments that have been made since Neil died, I'm rather skeptical that Geddy will ever do anything musical again, with the possible exception of an impromptu jam session.  He seems to be perfectly happy in the roles of Bass God Emeritus, wine connoisseur and Blue Jays fan.  Alex is probably more likely, but I don't think it's going to sound much of anything like Rush.

As far as MP being involved...I don't know.  Even if Alex and Geddy became interested in doing something, I'm not sure MP is a good fit.  Apparently, he was somewhat close with Neil, but I've never seen anything that would suggest he had any real relationship with either Geddy or Alex.

At the end of the day, I'm ok if they stay retired, if that's what makes them happy, and if they want to do something, that's fine too.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: January 13, 2021, 10:02:22 AM »
PG, I don't know if you meant it or not, but your post sort of hints at a good point.

I proposed something that patently was NOT Rush, and wouldn't even be mistaken for Rush.  I threw out Raine Maida as a sort of Canadian Casey McPherson of sorts, to bring them in a completely new direction.   I don't want another singer/drummer in there to do knock-offs of what we have in abundance (in terms of live and studio recordings).  But if the idea for Geddy/Alex was NO RUSH, non-negotiable, why even bother then with someone like Mike who is a Neil acolyte?  They're better off going in a completely different direction and getting someone from a different school of drumming.   Get Jason Bonham (I'm only half kidding here).   

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #582 on: January 13, 2021, 10:40:36 AM »

I had a bit of a Rush day Yesterday. I read some random article about Neil that popped up on my fb feed, which was featured in Rolling Stones magazine that is very inciteful about Neil's life.  Then on the way home from work I turned on the radio and Freewill was playing, after that ended I changed the station and caught the second half of Roll The Bones.
Later that evening I put in the GUP cd and skipped straight to track two which is Afterimage. There was the gnarliest windstorm of the year outside and the tall fir trees were practically sideways whipping in the wind. I  opened the windows and doors to air out the house and it just brought that song to life in a completely different way, almost surreal.  It just made everything hit me with a deeper impact. I continued to listen to the rest of the album.and I have a whole new appreciation for it.  Geds vocals are excellent, and the drums and guitar. I also realized that I SEE RED is actually a really cool song and imagined them playing it live. The drums are amazimg!

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #583 on: January 13, 2021, 11:33:43 AM »

He always was.

I saw Emmett on the RES9 tour back in late '16, and he still sounded excellent. There's a bunch of YT clips from shows he did in 2018, and sounds just fine to me.

I'm willing to be ok with Geddy and Alex doing some kind of performances together, but don't know what that looks like, and don't want it to be under the Rush banner, and only do Rush material as a tribute to Neil (and in limited fashion).

Yeah - Res9 came to Dallas and I bought the CD but I'll be damned that I can't find it. I still haven't  listened to the song that JLB sang on.

I suck!  :tdwn

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #584 on: January 13, 2021, 11:58:49 AM »
It's a decent album, but a completely different direction for Rik. The track with Labrie is cool!

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #585 on: January 13, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
As far as MP being involved...I don't know.  Even if Alex and Geddy became interested in doing something, I'm not sure MP is a good fit.  Apparently, he was somewhat close with Neil, but I've never seen anything that would suggest he had any real relationship with either Geddy or Alex.

fwiw

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #586 on: January 13, 2021, 12:18:37 PM »
Geddy Lee to appear with Vancouver Symphony Orchestra in virtual concert

Also posted in the main Rush thread, even though this thread seems to have taken its place, just to cause confusion, chaos, and hopefully even some mayhem.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:58:00 PM by Orbert »

Offline pg1067

« Reply #587 on: January 13, 2021, 01:22:54 PM »

fwiw

Sure...but a couple M&G photos aren't the same as having a relationship beyond that of folks who are in the same profession.

I'm intrigued, but it costs CD$100 (about US$78.50) and it's "unclear quite what Lee will be doing at the show."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #588 on: January 13, 2021, 02:07:41 PM »

fwiw

Sure...but a couple M&G photos aren't the same as having a relationship beyond that of folks who are in the same profession.

Right?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #589 on: January 13, 2021, 02:30:16 PM »
No penguin dive pictures Rodrigo? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #590 on: January 13, 2021, 02:42:43 PM »

Penguin dive?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #591 on: January 13, 2021, 03:09:42 PM »
I think if Geddy and Alex were gonna do something post-Rush, they would have by now. It has been 5 1/2 years, after all, and they are not getting any younger (both are just a few years shy of 70).  Factor in Alex's arthritis, which bothered him on the R40 tour and doesn't exactly get better as you get older, along with the health issues he had last year (per the article), and I just don't see it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #592 on: January 13, 2021, 03:56:22 PM »

Penguin dive?

Yeah, swimming in the ocean recently. lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #593 on: January 13, 2021, 04:04:23 PM »

Penguin dive?

Yeah, swimming in the ocean recently. lol

I can send you more picture of me at Lake Ontario on the first week of January...but Geddy wasn't there!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: January 13, 2021, 05:05:21 PM »
Lolol. That was very cold I bet.