Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 645766 times)

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4060 on: June 06, 2016, 05:09:44 AM »
Pride comes before the fall and Arya is a fool for strutting around town like she's hot shit when she just screwed over a bunch of a badass, assassin shapeshifters. People that gave her back her sight and warned her ass.

So nice to see the hound again. One of my favorite characters.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4061 on: June 06, 2016, 05:13:46 AM »
I'm sure everybody knows about the Night's King. A point of order, in the book he's called Night's King. In the show it seems he's called the Night King. Back to his ubiquitous reputation. Considering he's been someone for thousands of years, I'm sure just about everyone in Westeros knows the name. It's part of their history. Considering he's probably one of the most evil mother fuckers out there, he's going to be known.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4062 on: June 06, 2016, 06:56:08 AM »
I'm sure everybody knows about the Night's King. A point of order, in the book he's called Night's King. In the show it seems he's called the Night King. Back to his ubiquitous reputation. Considering he's been someone for thousands of years, I'm sure just about everyone in Westeros knows the name. It's part of their history. Considering he's probably one of the most evil mother fuckers out there, he's going to be known.

Maybe so, but to most who know of him, he was just lore.  The people of the North are starting to hear the word that he is legit, a word being spread by Jon and his people since they are the only ones who have seen him and his army of dead.

Probably my least favorite episode of the season, but it was still pretty solid (just shows how strong this show is).  The hound being back was not a surprise for me, it was hinted at in the books that he was alive and the show seems to clearly be setting up for "cleganebowl".  His little story was nice and it was cool to see the Brotherhood without Banners again although they definitely seem like "bad guys" now, or it could have just been that they serve the lord of light and the hound was with people of the seven? 

Yara likes whores and Theon is getting some tough love from her to get out of his funk.  I too was wondering where they were, I guess that could have been and likely was Volantis.  Anyone else hear the guy say the Iron Born were in Slaver's Bay in Braavos?  I wonder if that's true, besides how quickly people travel in this show, it would also be something if they quickly built 1000 ships.

We have not seen the Manderlays?  Or are they on the Bolton side?  Jon seems like he is going to get the help of the Vale, as that seems likely who Sansa wrote too and I'd imagine LF is close by with his army just waiting for that.  Where was Melisandre?

Marg is definitely playing a game with the Sparrow.  I think the rose was just a sign that she hasn't forgotten who she is and that she needed her Grandma to play along and stop going against her.  Not sure what the plan is though, but Tommen definitely isn't involved and who knows, this may be the way Tommen ends up dead.  Loved how Olenna ripped into Cersei too.

And then there was Riverrun and the threat of hanging Edmure  :lol  That scene was pretty good and similar to the books about how stupid the Freys are.  Kind of curious how this plays out since next week it looks like Brienne makes it there to speak to Jamie.  This is playing out differently than the books.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4063 on: June 06, 2016, 07:32:25 AM »
I thought last weeks episode was easily the weakest of the season. I really enjoyed this episode I just don't have a clue how they're going to wrap everything up in 3 episodes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4064 on: June 06, 2016, 07:37:13 AM »
I thought last weeks episode was easily the weakest of the season. I really enjoyed this episode I just don't have a clue how they're going to wrap everything up in 3 episodes.

They aren't going to be able to.  I think a lot of the storylines will be left in limbo like last season, especially since the last two episodes in mid season seemed like set up episodes.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4065 on: June 06, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
I don't know what I did to deserve getting Ian McShane and the return of motherfucking Bronn in the same episode, but I am not complaining.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4066 on: June 06, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »
Anyone else hear the guy say the Iron Born were in Slaver's Bay in Braavos?  I wonder if that's true, besides how quickly people travel in this show, it would also be something if they quickly built 1000 ships.
That can't be exactly true, because Braavos isn't anywhere near Slaver's Bay.

I doubt that Euron's 1,000 ships are already built.  Of course, I wouldn't have thought that Yara's fleet would already be in Volantis, either.  I guess there was nothing wrong with their warp drive.

Bronn is the man.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4067 on: June 06, 2016, 10:17:27 AM »
I liked how Yara stole the idea of snagging Dany from Mereen....going and making a deal with her....beating her Uncle to the punch.

There's an interesting theory online about Arya. That the Waif isn't real...that she's essentially in Arya's mind and she's battling herself to fully go 'faceless'...ala...Fight Club. I think that'd be neat if done correctly. I'm still under the impression that Joquin (spelling?) is not going to kill her...in fact may save her. "what do we say to the god of death?" 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4068 on: June 06, 2016, 10:44:53 AM »

Maybe so, but to most who know of him, he was just lore.  The people of the North are starting to hear the word that he is legit, a word being spread by Jon and his people since they are the only ones who have seen him and his army of dead.

But how does even Jon know who that was specifically? He saw a leader of the White Walkers and was like "yeah that dude's name is definetely 'The Night King'"? That Bran knows makes sense, but how anyone else now suddenly have something to call him doesn't really.

It doesn't bother me though, I like that that whole thing is getting attention, I'm just wondering.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4069 on: June 06, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »

But how does even Jon know who that was specifically? He saw a leader of the White Walkers and was like "yeah that dude's name is definetely 'The Night King'"? That Bran knows makes sense, but how anyone else now suddenly have something to call him doesn't really.

It doesn't bother me though, I like that that whole thing is getting attention, I'm just wondering.

Yea, I think it's all guessing about how the pieces were put together, but one could think Sam who had studied about them would know from books, but that's just a guess.  Maybe the wildlings know who he is?  Another guess.

Also, from After the Thrones, they confirmed Theon and Yara to be at Volantis, so you guys got that  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4070 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:47 PM »

It's the same as seeing just about anyone and recognizing them from a description. He's the only one with the "crown" upon his head, so he sticks out from the rest. This is just an assumption of mine though. I'm just thinking about it logically and trying to rationalize how it's possible.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4071 on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
BTW....having just begun to watch 'Deadwood' (I'm on the 4th episode of season 2) it was Awesome to Ian McShane in GOT.....and they even let him drop the F'Bomb a couple times....  :lol   He's such a presence as an actor..

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4072 on: June 06, 2016, 02:43:57 PM »
BTW....having just begun to watch 'Deadwood' (I'm on the 4th episode of season 2) it was Awesome to Ian McShane in GOT.....and they even let him drop the F'Bomb a couple times....  :lol   He's such a presence as an actor..

Never watched Deadwood or seen Ian before, but I very much enjoyed him in the show.  I should check Deadwood out, I heard it's great but knowing the show got cut early makes me not want to invest in it.... although I think I heard they may bring it back.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4073 on: June 06, 2016, 02:53:27 PM »
I think the Night King is known from lore, and he was named as such. Just like we all know who "the devil" is, now let's make a huge stretch of imagination and let's forget that most traits of Satan are basically pop culture, if "Satan" starts to show up in the world, we'd refer to him as the devil, I take that it's the same with the Night King. I prefer him called the Night King however, makes it more general and menacing, Night's King alone seems a bit still for a proper name.

Anyway, biggest waste of Ian McShane ever, did he want a cameo so they found a part for him, or did the writers really want him but he was busy so he was like "Ok, guys, but I need a short part"? good to see the Hound back however!

And I refuse to believe Arya's gonna kick the bucket that way.

Also, Jaimie punching one of Walder's sons was awesome. And boys does the Blackfish have balls.

Three episodes left, what do you all think it's gonna be the last scene of the season? Tower of Joy flashback? someone going How I Met your Mother on Jon? Dany finally deciding to bring her butt to Westeros? An apocalyptic scene, like, say, Tommen dead for whatever reason and the future of King's Landing left in balance? or even the Night's King arriving at the Wall, even though I assume it's a bit too early for that?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4074 on: June 06, 2016, 02:53:31 PM »

Never watched Deadwood or seen Ian before, but I very much enjoyed him in the show.  I should check Deadwood out, I heard it's great but knowing the show got cut early makes me not want to invest in it.... although I think I heard they may bring it back.

I read they are closer than ever to actually cutting the deal for a movie to give it a proper send off. My understanding is all the major actors are down for it.....not to derail the GOT thread....but I've been digging the show a lot.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4075 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »
Anyway, biggest waste of Ian McShane ever, did he want a cameo so they found a part for him, or did the writers really want him but he was busy so he was like "Ok, guys, but I need a short part"? good to see the Hound back however!

Also, Jaimie punching one of Walder's sons was awesome. And boys does the Blackfish have balls.

Three episodes left, what do you all think it's gonna be the last scene of the season? Tower of Joy flashback? someone going How I Met your Mother on Jon? Dany finally deciding to bring her butt to Westeros? An apocalyptic scene, like, say, Tommen dead for whatever reason and the future of King's Landing left in balance? or even the Night's King arriving at the Wall, even though I assume it's a bit too early for that?

Agree about McShane....he'd have been great to have as a "regular"

I agree as well about Arya. I just have a sneaky suspicion that Joquin (whatever his name is) is "on her side" and will either help her escape or this is all a final test of some sort? I think he's going to kill the Waif because he told her not to let Arya suffer then she goes and gut stabs her a couple times.

After having such a great scene where he shows he's a badass Jamie then gets humiliated by Blackfish. I was expecting Blackfish to push Jamie into the moat just to do it :lol

I think the final scene is two fold beginning with the Night King and his army breaching the Wall and entering into the land of man then cutting to Dany and her army on boats arriving/about to arrive onshore and a shadow of Drogon being projected over Kings Landing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4076 on: June 06, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »

I agree.  There is no way she dies from this, all of her story would have been meaningless.  However, I'm not sure how she does survive this... was this all part of a final test (either for Arya or the Waif)?  Did Arya have someone else change faces to be her?  Who is in Braavos that can help her?  I only know of one other Braavosi who would help her and he is thought to be dead from season 1. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4077 on: June 06, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
I loved this episode because of the Hound and Bronn. Amazing characters and actors portraying them. It's gonna suck ass when they die (assumption, not spoiler).

I read they are closer than ever to actually cutting the deal for a movie to give it a proper send off. My understanding is all the major actors are down for it.....not to derail the GOT thread....but I've been digging the show a lot.

I totally see it going that way. They did the last two episodes in theatres last year. It was totally a tester for exactly this situation. I will be shocked if they don't do the finale in theatres again this year.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4078 on: June 06, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »
I agree about Ian McShane. Was looking forward to his appearance and he just got some short scenes and died. :(

Him and Alexander Siddig are two biggest wastes of great actors on the show, in my opinion.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4079 on: June 07, 2016, 05:24:41 AM »
That was one of the reasons for him taking the role. He knew it would be short lived.

Online Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4080 on: June 07, 2016, 06:29:18 AM »
Another good episode. Great to see the Hound back, as he is one of my favourites.

I thought Arya's escape was going too well when she threw the second money pouch down on the table to get her 'upgrade'. Gotta watch those little old ladies, they can be deadly!

Nice to see Tim McInnerny from Blackadder (Percy, Captain Darling) make an appearance as Lord Glover. Also, Ian McShane as mentioned.

One thing I'm not overly keen on is Bronn - I kinda think his character is done. He should have disappeared way back when things started going south for Tyrion.

BTW - What did people think of the way it started, just launching in to the big reveal before the usual title sequence? I thought it was a great way to do it, and something fresh.  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4081 on: June 07, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
BTW - What did people think of the way it started, just launching in to the big reveal before the usual title sequence? I thought it was a great way to do it, and something fresh.  :tup

Personally didn't like it because I knew something big was going to happen right away.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4082 on: June 07, 2016, 08:58:56 AM »
I liked it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4083 on: June 07, 2016, 09:15:35 AM »
I liked it.

As did I. This isn't the first time they've led off an episode right into the "action"....I can't recall every instance but they have done similar intro's before. What's the difference anyway? So you get the intro sequence and then you find out the Hound is back one minute into the show rather than 30 seconds in? 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4084 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
They did it that way because they wanted the audience to see Rory first before seeing his name on the credits on the intro.

I came across this website the other day and it's an excellent read that talks about the difference between the book and show per episode. I can't believe I'm just now discovering this site.
www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/tag/game-of-thrones
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4085 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:00 AM »
I think the only other times they've opened with scenes before the opening titles are season premiers. In season 1 it was the first White Walker scene, in season 3 it was Sam running through the snow, in season 4 it was Tywin melting down Ned's sword. Don't remember if there was any in the season 2 premiere, but there was none in 5 and 6.

I always liked the idea to only do it in season premieres. That way it would be like the prologues in the books.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4086 on: June 07, 2016, 11:00:40 AM »
I could have sworn the episode that showed the flashback to Cersei and friend's childhood encounter with the fortune teller was done in a pre-opener scene.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4087 on: June 07, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
I could have sworn the episode that showed the flashback to Cersei and friend's childhood encounter with the fortune teller was done in a pre-opener scene.

I think that was season 5 premiere first scene, but don't recall if it was before or after the credits.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4088 on: June 07, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
I think Hef is right 'bout that.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4089 on: June 07, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »
That was the season 5 opener but was shown after the intro because right at the end of the flashback when Cersei's name is called, it echoes and then they show her in modern day.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4090 on: June 07, 2016, 11:45:35 AM »
They did it that way because they wanted the audience to see Rory first before seeing his name on the credits on the intro.

This made me realize how the credits already give away which scenes are gonna be included and which not. When I saw Jaimie's actor top billed I immediately thought "What, no Tyrion this week?" since Peter Dinklage usually is billed first.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4091 on: June 07, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »
I think what gave away The Hound's return was the title. As soon as I saw action before the opening theme, I knew it was going to happen then, as many others probably assumed correctly.

Did I like the usage of action happening before the opening theme? Absolutely.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4092 on: June 07, 2016, 12:30:46 PM »
Meanwhile, in Dorne....

...well, nothing's happening. Dramatic coup and that was it. The Lannisters didn't bother (even though they have other urgent matters at hand), Ellaria isn't doing anything, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we wouldn't even see it again before the season's over.

I wonder how much and in which detail George Martin told the writers about the endgame, if it was just a checkpoint of "This lives, this dies, this event is pivotal and you have to keep it otherwise a lot of other stuff can't happen" or if basically they asked him "Hey George, is Dorne absolutely vital to the ending? no? Okay, we'll do it our way thanks" *characters get killed off and then sidelined*

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4093 on: June 07, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »
Yea, Dorne is really a head scratcher.  With major characters cut from the getgo, you knew the show was doing something different, but then they just killed the entire plotline.  I refuse to believe that it's totally dead though.  I have this feeling the Sand Snakes will play some role in a major event down the line, kind of like when you finally have forgotten about them, then they do something surprising.  No idea what, but I can't help but feel like that has to happen.

I am kind of surprised Tommen seems to have no reaction to his sister's murder.  We know Cersei would love to attack Dorne, but she has no power so it's no surprise she can't do anything about it, and Jamie lost his power so it really comes down to Kevin I guess making a decision to let it be I guess?  I guess with the Faith taking over, they have enough on their hands. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4094 on: June 07, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »
Dorne is a mystery. It went from being on of the more intriguing plotlines in the book to having very little relevance in the show. Have they even went back to it since the murders in the beginning of the season?