Poll

How do you like Mangini's drumming on The Enemy Inside?

Incredible
95 (32.6%)
Great
144 (49.5%)
Good
45 (15.5%)
Average
6 (2.1%)
Bad
0 (0%)
Terrible
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 281

Author Topic: Mangini on The Enemy Inside  (Read 8965 times)

Offline LKap13

Mangini on The Enemy Inside
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
So, what did you guys think of Mangini's playing on the new single?

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
Re: Mangini on The Enemy Inside
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
I voted good. I thought thedrumming was solid but not insane. Being a drummer myself, there were a couple parts in there that made me go "wow", but for the most part it wasn't spectacular. Still good though. If the rest of the album has drumming like this I would be quite pleased.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 07:11:11 PM »
Good, but I expect more technicality throughout the album.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
Incredible but the snare sounds terrible.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:30 PM »
He sounds fine.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
I voted great.

I'm sure there will be other insane sections or perhaps totally insane songs when the album is released, but this was a good showing of what "unleashed" really means.

The man's a beast, no doubt about it. But on this track I think he's just waking up.

Great performance. We'll hear incredible on the 24th, or whatever day you Europeans get the CD. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
Went with Great. I'm willing to bet this is just the tip of the iceberg concerning insane Manginilicious drumming.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
I voted great.

I'm sure there will be other insane sections or perhaps totally insane songs when the album is released, but this was a good showing of what "unleashed" really means.

The man's a beast, no doubt about it. But on this track I think he's just had a false awakening.

Great performance. We'll hear incredible on the 24th, or whatever day you Europeans get the CD. :metal

FTFY

In other news, I voted Great. Drumming technique-wise is really nothing spectacular, I almost could've voted Good, but I went with Great because I'm so thrilled to hear MM lay down some truly metal beats with DT finally!
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 07:45:57 PM »
There are five different threads on this song. This is getting ridiculous..

:tdwn

But yes, Mangini is amazing on this song. There's something he does between 0:52 and 0:54 that baffles my mind, it's so fast...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
I love what he plays, but, I've never really liked the sound of his kit. Too reverby. And the triggered snare for a DT album is not my cup of tea. It wasn't on I&W and it isn't now.

Very anxious to hear the rest!

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:55:32 PM »
I love what he plays, but, I've never really liked the sound of his kit. Too reverby. And the triggered snare for a DT album is not my cup of tea. It wasn't on I&W and it isn't now.

Source? Where did you get that it's triggered?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »
Well, that's the thing, I'm HOPING the mix was just wayyyyy too compressed and that the real mix of the album version does not sound triggered. To me there was no snare dynamic. So it sounded triggered to me. But it could very well be the mix of the single that was way over compressed.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

I'm fairly certain there has been no real confirmation that the snare is actually triggered; it just sounds that way on this single. Loud, fat, overly present in the mix. It does seem to be the same sound every single time he hits the snare with no dynamic contrast, so that is what has people thinking it could be triggered.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:53 PM »
I have a feeling the stream only made it sound a little worse. More or less, I think this might be the style of this engineer.

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
I have a feeling the stream only made it sound a little worse. More or less, I think this might be the style of this engineer.

Yikes! I hope not!

I can barely hear Jordan in some parts. A good mix should mean that no instrument strictly stands out, but, you should be able to clearly pick out each note of each instrument. I really enjoyed what each member was doing on this single, but something about the levels seriously bugged me...

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 08:05:14 PM »

Yikes! I hope not!

I can barely hear Jordan in some parts. A good mix should mean that no instrument strictly stands out, but, you should be able to clearly pick out each note of each instrument. I really enjoyed what each member was doing on this single, but something about the levels seriously bugged me...

I agree. That was one of the first things I noticed about the mix. There are times when I can ONLY hear guitar and drums. And I'm not crazy about the sound of the drums at all. I don't know a whole lot about Rich Chycki's style, but I do get the feeling the stream would mess up the sound THAT much. Is it possible there could be some mix editing (finishing touches) in between now and release? I think a lot of bands do that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »

I'm fairly certain there has been no real confirmation that the snare is actually triggered; it just sounds that way on this single. Loud, fat, overly present in the mix. It does seem to be the same sound every single time he hits the snare with no dynamic contrast, so that is what has people thinking it could be triggered.

Mangini said recently that he loosened his snare for this album to get it louder and he is renowned for being ridiculously consistent with his hits. . . It's one of his "tricks ".

Offline jmasterx

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »

Yikes! I hope not!

I agree. That was one of the first things I noticed about the mix. There are times when I can ONLY hear guitar and drums. And I'm not crazy about the sound of the drums at all. I don't know a whole lot about Rich Chycki's style, but I do get the feeling the stream would mess up the sound THAT much. Is it possible there could be some mix editing (finishing touches) in between now and release? I think a lot of bands do that.

Yup, I can confirm that I feel the same way. Yet, I did not feel this way at all about OTBOA. Though, even before hearing OTBOA drum stem, I felt the snare on that was a bit reverby, and not the melody master of Portnoy's I was used to, but I never felt it was triggered.

Maybe they used a gated reverb on the snare. I hope not.

The notes are like a cake, but for me, the mix is not a cake so far :(

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »
The notes are like a cake, but for me, the mix is not a cake so far

Give it time. The cake needs time to bake.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 10:08:26 PM »
Worse than the Bubinga snare on the Worcester bootleg.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

In other words, he is amazing. If this song is any indication, I think he'll really shine on this album, and hopefully his technical prowess pushes the others to a new level!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline adastra

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 11:31:26 PM »
I thought there was nothing wrong with the snare o_O
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
I went with great. It's only a relatively simple song, so I don't think there's enough room for "incredible", but he certainly added a lot of nice touches, such as his hi-hat patterns, and the fast snare/cymbal fills.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »
I think it sounds triggered when he does double/triple/etc. strokes on it. But during the verse and chorus beats, I think it sounds miles better than his ADTOE snare.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »
I didn't think there was anything wrong with the drum sound on the song either, but I'm the guy who can't hear if anything's brickwalled, so I may not be the best judge of that  :lol

I went with great. The intro and some other parts gave MM room to really stretch out, but a lot of the song is a straight ahead burner, so there isn't as much room for him to go nuts. Give him something as complex as, say, Outcry's instrumental break this time and he'll go insane.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:05 AM »
Went with Great. I'm willing to bet this is just the tip of the iceberg concerning insane Manginilicious drumming.
^ this absolutely.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 12:50:13 AM »
^ this absolutely.

Well, I highly doubt they'd put out his best work as the single. If they did that, that'd be like saying, "Here's Mangini at his absolute finest on this album. Everything else is downhill from here." And that wouldn't be very smart.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
Damn I think I misclicked. Coffee for me. Went with Incredbile but wanted to go for Great. That's 'cuz it really didn't amaze me that much. I know what he can do, I know he's an hell of a drum artist. His power, his strenght are equals to his fluidity and softness when required. Again, didn't like the snare sound on it, but I think (read hope) it will stick to this song.

EDIT: huhu I took too long to write (am at work and had to stop writing for a while) and it reset for me. So, yes, Great on the poll as well :D
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »
I voted great. It was fantastic drumming, but not amazing enough to be 'incredible'.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
I voted good. The drumming itself is fine and has some impressive moments, but the sound is once again a letdown for me. I think it is a combination of mixing and bad drum-cymbal choices by Mike.

Still this is a very metal song and i think he did a great job in that context, still the sound disappointed me.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 02:49:26 AM »
Really good, although nothing truly spectacular. And I agree that the sound is a bit weird.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 05:01:49 AM »
I think he did good laying down some nice metal grooves. There's also some nice intricate parts. I did however find the 16th notes on the snare drum at 0:15 a bit sloppy. Love the way he supports the guitar and bass with his bass drum, some really cool figures.

I like the low sounding snare, adds a nice "thunk" to the metal feel of the song. Can't wait to see what he's come up with on the album.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 07:41:03 AM »
I honestly love pretty much everything about the way his kit sounds now in the mix, aside from the snare. Even after listening to the higher quality download. Actually, in my car with mediocre speakers I didn't notice the distortion on the snare this morning, but in my higher quality headphones it's definitely there. I just don't get it :huh: If I  got really nitpicky, I'd prefer a bit more tone out of the toms, but that's definitely not a big deal for me in a context like this.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 08:11:26 AM »
I voted great, I thought he played the song well.  It isn't the most technical DT song ever, so I wasn't blown away with his playing, but the parts he put down sounded great.  Grooves were really nice, hi-hat work in a couple sections was cool, his fills were good as well and that intro is sick!!  :metal

Overall, I thought he sounded great, this is the drum sound that will show us how impacting his parts can be on the heavier DT stuff.  Is the drum sound perfect? Heck no! Does it seem to be a better representation of his playing than ADToE? Heck yes!