Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 916705 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
When it comes to UFO, my respect to the band goes to TAC......sorry Tim :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Very sad indeed.  RIP.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
When it comes to UFO, my respect to the band goes to TAC......sorry Tim :(

Thank you.  ;D

I’ll have a post on it later. I was really bummed last night.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had a look at the video for Let It Rain and am gonna spin Save Your Prayers  :metal

On a guitar related note , I added quite a nice one to my collection this week.   Any of you guitar nuts want to check it out , I made a post in the Musicians board.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Yeah I wanna see. Which thread? Can’t see it.

No worries. Found it. I never look at the stickies  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:49:41 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Lowdz

R.I.P.  Paul Chapman.

I first heard him on Waysted's Save Your Prayers which is/was a real AOR/hard rock treasure .   I can't say I have ever listened to his UFO albums a great deal , but I am sure there are  a couple in here who rate TWTWATI very highly.  Sad news.

All his UFO albums were decent to great. Slow start with No Place To Run, but after that, great.
My first gig was UFO on the WW&I tour. He was excellent.
Save Your Prayers is indeed a great album though I never bothered with any other Waysted albums.

Offline gazinwales

Another killer cover from At The Movies
https://youtu.be/REXpzTtplZg

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
http://bravewords.com/news/autograph-to-headline-socially-distanced-colorado-freedom-festival-mini-on-june-20

But what the article fails to mention is that it's because nobody bought any tickets! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:16:21 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
WTF? So you literally talk out of your ass? Why are we looking at your crotch while you are talking? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did you slip some Winger in there?? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mr Crabs should worry about his own crotch  :lol 

If you want HD multicam I'll have another go some other time :p

« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:38:50 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

Played the Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall album yesterday. Excellent, as expected. Nice to hear Tony Martin again. He's still got it.
The guitar playing is killer.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Played the Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall album yesterday. Excellent, as expected. Nice to hear Tony Martin again. He's still got it.

I think Tony Martin is very much a studio only proposition these days.  Will be good to hear him on new material though.

Last I heard he was filling in with Kings Of Madness (ex Magnum dudes)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I read an article on Blabbermouth about Magnus open to a whole album with Tony but what's funny is, is that Martin sounds like an absolute flog.  I'm on my phone but will link it to tomorrow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Great to hear.

Offline Lowdz

Against my better judgment I played the new House Of Lords album today. I didn’t like any of the tracks released so far but enjoyed the album today. The production is shit, the vocals have some weird processing on them and the guitars sound off, but I enjoyed it.

Maybe listening at work and getting paid for it helped? 😀

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That post is the definition of insanity.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Against my better judgment I played the new House Of Lords album today. I didn’t like any of the tracks released so far but enjoyed the album today. The production is shit, the vocals have some weird processing on them and the guitars sound off, but I enjoyed it.

Maybe listening at work and getting paid for it helped? 😀

I haven't listened to a single song since the first one was released.  That was enough for me.

Offline Lowdz

That post is the definition of insanity.

The irony is not lost on me. My working life is about working with crazy people 🤪

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/magnus-karlsson-has-talked-to-ex-black-sabbath-singer-tony-martin-about-collaborating-on-full-album/

Swedish guitarist, songwriter and producer Magnus Karlsson says he is open to recording a full-length album with Tony Martin after previously collaborating with the former BLACK SABBATH singer on three songs from his solo project MAGNUS KARLSSON'S FREE FALL. "I asked him, and we talked about it, but it didn't happen yet," Magnus told Jeff Gaudiosi of MisplacedStraws.com in a new interview. "But maybe. He didn't say no, but he really wants it to be the right songs and we have to work on it. I already sent him some tracks, and he had to think about it. So he's a little picky, but that's great. He's also the only one on the FREE FALL albums that writes his own lyrics and melodies too. Because he said, 'When you hire me, you don't just hire a singer — you hire the whole thing, with my approach to melodies and lyrics.' And I said, 'Yes, that's fine.'"

:rollin

Who the fuck does he think he is?  :lol  Magnus is like, "yeah whatever dude." lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Bad decision and attitude by Tony. At this point he should be jumping at an opportunity like this. Implying that he is Tony f$&@ing Martin doesn’t cut it as most people wouldn’t care.

Offline Lowdz

And yet he made those Mollo Martin albums 😱😀

Offline gazinwales

Bad decision and attitude by Tony. At this point he should be jumping at an opportunity like this. Implying that he is Tony f$&@ing Martin doesn’t cut it as most people wouldn’t care.

Hardly, we don't know the full story, maybe the songs weren't right for him, or he couldn't come up with suitable lyrics/melodies?
Either way it's his decision and he must have his reasons.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I did like the two new Martin tunes on this album; Tony’s voice goes well with Karlssons music

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
And yet he made those Mollo Martin albums 😱😀

Lol.

Hardly, we don't know the full story, maybe the songs weren't right for him, or he couldn't come up with suitable lyrics/melodies?
Either way it's his decision and he must have his reasons.

But considering he's already sung 3 songs for Karlsson that's hard to believe.  But fair point but he does come across like a douche if you ask me.

Offline Lowdz

He does sound very “up himself”.

Offline gazinwales

You base your opinion on TM being. a 'douche' and 'up himself' based on what exactly?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
You base your opinion on TM being. a 'douche' and 'up himself' based on what exactly?

His language in that article I posted.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I will elaborate since Gaz seems to take some offence to our comments.  I love Tony Martin.  The Martin era is my fav Sabbath era and some of my all time fav albums.  I remember having the VHS of Cross Purposes live when I was in my teens and played the fuck out of it.  It was clear Martin wasn't at his best but I loved the whole thing.  The performance, Tony's performance, it was just a joy to watch for me.

IMO, what Tony has done since is disappointing.  There's been some cool stuff.  The Giuntini albums were solid and especially the third one sticks out, that's some nice melodic rock.  I didn't care much of what I heard from the Cage but the third one I thought was decent.  The Rondinelli album too was alright.  His last solo album was disappointing and on a whole, it's just a shame that he hasn't done more quality stuff because his voice is so good.  I was so pumped at the 'Black' project that was announced with Andy LaRocque and Magnus Rosen, but never to be heard of again.

Magnus getting him on his Freefall album and sounding as good as he does was a great move.  And Martin returning for two songs on this new album shows he likes what Magnus is doing.  Perhaps Gaz is simply right, maybe what Magnus sent wasn't for Tony for some reason.  Magnus does say himself there that he seems picky.  But that's his right to have that stance.  I think the comments from him here come across a bit arrogant just because, while he obviously doesn't have to commit to things that he doesn't like or don't suit him, just with how underwhelming his discography is, it just seems maybe he has a chip on his shoulder, or has a higher opinion of himself than perhaps he should.  I mean, it seems songwriters aren't banging down the doors to get him to sing their songs.  Or yet, maybe they are he just has this stance across the board and feels things aren't good enough for him.  It's his right, but Magnus writes pretty similar songs across the board so for him to throw stuff back and him and say songs don't work seems odd, but who I am to say.  I love the guy and his voice, I wish he did a lot more recording, but comments like this makes him appear that he has a higher opinion of himself than maybe he should.  Just my opinion.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
That sums it up well Wolf. I remember thinking some songs on that Rondenelli album and his solo album Scream definitely had the old school Martin era Sabbath vibe, but seemed inconsistent overall. I haven’t listened to them in years but that’s what I recall. It seems like a long shot but maybe the Tony’s can get together for a project of some kind in the future.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
That sums it up well Wolf. I remember thinking some songs on that Rondenelli album and his solo album Scream definitely had the old school Martin era Sabbath vibe, but seemed inconsistent overall. I haven’t listened to them in years but that’s what I recall. It seems like a long shot but maybe the Tony’s can get together for a project of some kind in the future.

Not sure if things have changed since this but in the same article;

In a 2012 interview with Über Röck, Martin said that he was "surprised" to see Tony Iommi criticizing him in the guitarist's "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven And Hell With Black Sabbath" book (referring to the Martin period, especially the touring phase following the release of "Cross Purposes" in 1994, Iommi lambasted his former singer as "unprofessional" and having "no stage presence"). Martin said: "I mean, they never said anything to me. Surely, if you've got a problem, the first person you should say something to is the person that's in the band with you... It sounds like a really stupid thing to say, as they didn't say anything to my face — and, if that's the case, then more fool them for not saying anything, because, you know, we could have fixed it. I said to them, endlessly, that if there was anything they wanted changed, done differently, just to say and we could fix it, but clearly, they didn't, they hadn't got the guts to, obviously, and to write about it in a book afterwards seems a bit daft to me. I'm not bitter about it, but it is surprising... It seems a bit stupid to say that after the event."

Offline gazinwales

Not offended at all, just can't understand your opinion based on alleged comments that he would do a full album of songs with MK.
Maybe he has unused himself over the years, but that is his choice.

Offline Lowdz

Not offended at all, just can't understand your opinion based on alleged comments that he would do a full album of songs with MK.
Maybe he has unused himself over the years, but that is his choice.

True Gaz.
I guess it would seem strange that Tony wouldn't jump at the chance to do a great album with the go to man in the genre he's known for. But it's his career and he has to be happy with what's on offer before committing himself. Magnus seemed a bit surprised by his caution.

Offline ozzy554

Not sure if things have changed since this but in the same article;

In a 2012 interview with Über Röck, Martin said that he was "surprised" to see Tony Iommi criticizing him in the guitarist's "Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven And Hell With Black Sabbath" book (referring to the Martin period, especially the touring phase following the release of "Cross Purposes" in 1994, Iommi lambasted his former singer as "unprofessional" and having "no stage presence"). Martin said: "I mean, they never said anything to me. Surely, if you've got a problem, the first person you should say something to is the person that's in the band with you... It sounds like a really stupid thing to say, as they didn't say anything to my face — and, if that's the case, then more fool them for not saying anything, because, you know, we could have fixed it. I said to them, endlessly, that if there was anything they wanted changed, done differently, just to say and we could fix it, but clearly, they didn't, they hadn't got the guts to, obviously, and to write about it in a book afterwards seems a bit daft to me. I'm not bitter about it, but it is surprising... It seems a bit stupid to say that after the event."

Yeah they met up about a year ago and seem to be on friendly terms.

Do you read Sutter Cane?