Author Topic: Is DT missing an opportunity to cash in....  (Read 4367 times)

Offline DTwwbwMP

Is DT missing an opportunity to cash in....
« on: November 09, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
....by not announcing a reunion tour with MP BEFORE making a new album? I just think a reunion tour would create a lot of buzz and afterwards, REALLY create excitement for a new album. Thoughts?

Offline naimad

• Osmosis
Re: Is DT missing an opportunity to cash in....
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
I pretty much prefer if they go to the studio as soon as possible  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 12:52:17 PM »
I don't think it would make a difference either way.  I personally would prefer to hear what they come up with in the studio.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 12:55:10 PM »
....by not announcing a reunion tour with MP BEFORE making a new album? I just think a reunion tour would create a lot of buzz and afterwards, REALLY create excitement for a new album. Thoughts?

If they don't go into the studio until after the New Year, then we're not getting a new album until September. So basically a year between the announcement and new material. I would think they'd do some touring next summer, but even then, that's nine months away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2023, 12:59:45 PM »
Yeah, I hadn't even thought about the fact that we'll get a summer before the next album release.  That makes me really interested to see whether they will do some summer festival shows.  I would think they would, but it'll be interesting to see.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2023, 01:05:46 PM »
I have been assuming the entire time that they are going to tour before the album comes out. Seems pretty clear that they are probably going to follow the ADTOE model: make the album, summer tour to build hype, album release in September. They also mentioned in that press release that DreamSonic will continue, so maybe they bring DreamSonic to Europe next Summer with more of a greatest hits setlist and that'll be the way to reintroduce Portnoy into the band.

I will say though that while I think touring before the album is the way to go, I would have a lot of respect for them bringing back Portnoy with a full on album tour where they're mostly playing new material.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2023, 03:05:15 PM »
This has been mentioned a few times in a few of the other threads over the past however long it's been since the announcement was made.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »
I love hearing DT play their newest albums, but a reunion tour beforehand would give us a chance to hear a lot of existing music without having a huge portion of the set dominated by a new album. This would be a great chance for new fans to hear a bunch of classic DT tunes.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 03:37:39 PM »
I think it would be better for MP to jump into the studio before a tour. I don't think a reunion tour with no new music would be financially feasible. A new album and tour will be enough to get me stoked. A reunion tour would just be tiring for him. He's just finishing up with the Winery Dogs, I think if he immediately went back on the road with DT, he'd be exhausted. His routine has always been record, tour repeat. Doesn't matter what band he played with. I'm much more interested to hear new music from the band, then I'll be stoked to see the new music live.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2023, 04:02:57 PM »
I doubt we would see a full "tour" before going into the studio with MP.  But playing some dates over the summer wouldn't surprise me in the least.  I would just be really curious what the set would look like.  Maybe something like:
-The Alien
-On the Backs of Angels
-Our New World
And the rest MP-era songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MrMike

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 05:31:45 PM »
I'd like to see them do what Rush did for the Time Machine tour.  Release a couple of new songs in late Spring and perform them during a short warm-up tour.  Then do the full-on world tour for the album after its release in Fall 2024.  That way, we wouldn't have to wait almost a year to hear at least some of the new material.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2023, 07:33:43 PM »
if they toured tomorrow, i'd be alright, because i believe, that after they're gone, DT tour will carry on
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 04:12:19 AM »
if they toured tomorrow, i'd be alright, because i believe, that after they're gone, DT tour will carry on

Ok.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 06:53:13 AM »
I guess the fact that they're not doing that would point to Portnoy's return not being a financial move.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 06:53:38 AM »

:tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 07:01:54 AM »
I guess the fact that they're not doing that would point to Portnoy's return not being a financial move.

That's an interesting observation. I feel like DT World has been kind of quiet since the announcement. No doubt MP will be good for business on their next tour, but this was always about bring MP back into the band than it was about dollars to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2023, 07:08:19 AM »
Keep in mind that just because they didn't announce a tour of dates in the initial announcement doesn't mean they can't put something together relatively quickly.  It wouldn't shock me if we see a springtime tour, whether a solo tour or another edition of Dreamsonic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2023, 07:31:15 AM »
getting a little late for winter/spring tour announcements, tho i agree there is still time for them to do it. i've already been seeing ads for shows for next fall and beyond
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2023, 07:42:06 AM »
Don't even get me started:  secret club show(s) at Toad's or something like that.    PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE.

Offline HOF

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2023, 07:54:47 AM »
I would imagine offers from promoters have been rolling in since the announcement, and there's no reason they couldn't still do something short in between recording and releasing the next album. But I think this is kind of in line with the forward moving mindset of DT too. They want to make new music and push that out before they tour most likely rather than go out solely for nostalgia purposes.

Besides, I guarantee you they are planning to pull out all the stops for a big 40th anniversary tour in 2025. So maybe they'd rather get the album out sooner than later so they can tour that album specifically for a bit in 2024 before the 40th anniversary tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2023, 08:04:22 AM »
I would imagine offers from promoters have been rolling in since the announcement, and there's no reason they couldn't still do something short in between recording and releasing the next album. But I think this is kind of in line with the forward moving mindset of DT too. They want to make new music and push that out before they tour most likely rather than go out solely for nostalgia purposes.

Besides, I guarantee you they are planning to pull out all the stops for a big 40th anniversary tour in 2025. So maybe they'd rather get the album out sooner than later so they can tour that album specifically for a bit in 2024 before the 40th anniversary tour.

This all makes sense.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2023, 03:33:09 AM »
If they get a tempting offer that doesn't interfere with new album recordings, they'll do it for sure.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2023, 05:47:12 AM »
I'd like to see them do what Rush did for the Time Machine tour.  Release a couple of new songs in late Spring and perform them during a short warm-up tour.  Then do the full-on world tour for the album after its release in Fall 2024.  That way, we wouldn't have to wait almost a year to hear at least some of the new material.

I can see this happening. It's what they did when MM joined the band, right? I'm pretty sure the first time I saw DT was just after the release of On The Backs of Angels, but before ADTOE was released. It was a good way to introduce fans to MM in a live setting, and I can see it being a good way to do the same for newer fans with MP and get the older fans hyped up for whatever comes next!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2023, 12:49:56 PM »
Don't even get me started:  secret club show(s) at Toad's or something like that.    PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE.

It wasn't a secret, but they did do a special warm up gig at BB Kings before the Six Degrees UK/Euro Leg. That was awesome to experience.  That would create buzz, but it seems like they're trying to keep this business as usual as much as they can so far.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2023, 06:11:53 PM »

Maybe? I am not sure though. I can see that people are really excited so I would expect DT16 to do very well. DT with MP is going to be a big draw when it comes time to tour. Maybe the timing could have been a little better but I would bet there was a logic to the timing and we are not privy to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2023, 06:18:31 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure how much logic was put into the timing of the announcement.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2023, 06:27:41 PM »
Honestly, I'm not sure how much logic was put into the timing of the announcement.

You could be right.

But maybe they made the announcement right after they told MM of their decision or something like that. I don't know but I could see a number of reasons behind it including none at all lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2023, 06:34:18 PM »

You could be right.

But maybe they made the announcement right after they told MM of their decision or something like that. I don't know but I could see a number of reasons behind it including none at all lol.

I tried to find out when he was told, but I couldn't get it, but I believe he likely knew for about a month before the announcement.

I also believe that he gave them a drop dead date of when his press campaign for his solo album was going to hit, which just so happened to be the day after DT's announcement. His press campaign was surely going to refer to him as "Ex Dream Theater member Mike Mangini". Even though he did some interviews before the announcement, I firmly believe that it was a done deal, but he didn't let on out of whatever agreement they had.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2023, 07:52:27 PM »
Depending on how things go, that is always a possibility. For later tour cycles with MP, they kinda did that. The album was already in the can, an announcement was made about the upcoming album, and the band would do a warm up leg including between 1 and 3 songs in the setlist, with the rest being legacy tracks. Depending on how quickly everything comes together in the studio, I could see them doing something like that in time for at least some of the European festivals during the summer months, and in between festivals, filling in with some headlining gigs, perhaps in less common cities that would otherwise get looked over when they do a proper tour with full production.

You could be right.

I tried to find out when he was told, but I couldn't get it, but I believe he likely knew for about a month before the announcement.

I also believe that he gave them a drop dead date of when his press campaign for his solo album was going to hit, which just so happened to be the day after DT's announcement. His press campaign was surely going to refer to him as "Ex Dream Theater member Mike Mangini". Even though he did some interviews before the announcement, I firmly believe that it was a done deal, but he didn't let on out of whatever agreement they had.
I'm sure there was a specific reason for why they made the announcement when they did, especially given that the timing was unusual with MP in the middle of a tour in another part of the world and them having to photoshop him into the image with the rest of the guys. The mystery is why which could be everything from getting ahead of a leak to showing MM some courtesy tied to the announcement/release of his solo album. Would be interesting to know, but hard to say if that will ever be revealed.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure MM knew about it at least a few weeks before the announcement was made. All you need to see is Rodrigo's interview with MM and how he choked up when the topic of DT was brought up. I also listened to the "emergency" episode of the Talking Into Infinity podcast the day of the announcement, and they brought up a couple interesting points. MM ended up doing an interview with them 5 or 6 days before the announcement. In the lead up to the interview, MM's publicist specifically told them not to bring up DT in the interview at all (unlike when Rodrigo did his interview a few weeks before) which wasn't completely unsurprising. But then the publicist kept hammering that point home repeatedly in the days before the interview, which was a bit unusual. The TII guys also commented that they noticed MM didn't seem to be his usual jovial self when they saw him on the DreamSonic tour. I don't want to misquote them, but IIRC, it seemed like he was either somewhat detached from everything and/or was all (or at least mostly) business unlike at previous shows. So they hypothesized that perhaps MM even knew as far back as during that tour. Here's the link to the podcast for those that wanna check it out for themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQuOl5EfYhM

Incidentally, Rich Wilson makes an unscheduled appearance on there, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2023, 07:58:27 PM »
But yeah, I'm pretty sure MM knew about it at least a few weeks before the announcement was made. All you need to see is Rodrigo's interview with MM and how he choked up when the topic of DT was brought up.

The lawyers on DTF would like to have you believe he was burping.

It is my belief that he was told within a day or days of Rodrigo's interview. That was 30 days give or take from the announcement.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2023, 08:02:25 PM »
Stuff like that is why I hope Petrucci doesn't concede the set list stuff back totally to Portnoy.  Portnoy overthinks things way too much IMO and gets way too caught up in checking songs off bucket lists (playing You Not Me/You Or Me just so they can say they played it, when it is quite obviously one of their least popular songs ever, if not THE least popular DT song ever, would be the biggest WTF ever), and that sometimes causes those kinds of WTF decisions, like the underwhelming Score set list, which is not a good reflection of their 20 years at their 20th anniversary show. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2023, 08:04:31 PM »
I would think a lot of this kind of thing has been discussed even informally while on tour together, or while the wives are visiting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 08:08:25 PM »
Yeah, I can see Petrucci having a good laugh and saying, "really, Mike?"  I have to think that Petrucci would veto that idea pretty quickly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2023, 08:09:05 PM »
The TII guys also commented that they noticed MM didn't seem to be his usual jovial self when they saw him on the DreamSonic tour. I don't want to misquote them, but IIRC, it seemed like he was either somewhat detached from everything and/or was all (or at least mostly) business unlike at previous shows. So they hypothesized that perhaps MM even knew as far back as during that tour.

I commented that the entire band seemed detached at the Dreamsonic show in Boston. I do not believe that Mangini knew during the tour. At All. But I also believe that he was aware of the fact that MP had been making inroads, and that any tour could be his last.

I do believe that JP was likely aware of what was going to happen. And I know it's hard to tell with JM, but something was off with him in Boston. I felt it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2023, 08:16:30 PM »
I see no logical sense in the timing for the announcement either, but I can see why it happened this way.

If you are like me and have been following MM closely for the last decade, you'll know he usually replies to comments on social media (facebook and instagram mostly). The last few months after the tour ended and before the announcement he posted and replied to some fans explicitly talking about entering the studio with DT sometime later in the year. I even shared one of those posts on the other thread but that was still talked down as "he said he'd do X thing BEFORE going to back with DT, not that he WOULD be back". Oh well.

Not trying to reopen the "did he leave vs was let go" debate again, my point is that MM was actively planning to go back to the studio with the band at some point (taken from his words, not mine), but apparently they already made their mind they wanted MP back. MP was already booked with tour dates for the rest of the year so obviously they weren't entering the studio this year. They just couldn't wait forever without telling the guy, who just happened to be about to release a solo album and was about to do a lot of interviews and stuff like that and had already publicly talked about going back to the studio with them "soon".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."