Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554100 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3815 on: March 09, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »

Btw, I also bought one of Eric Gillette's solo cd's at the merch counter. It's called "The Great Unknown" which came out in 2016.  It is really good, I've listened to it three times allready. Very epic and melodic sounding. :tup

Yep, I like that quite a bit.  Damage Is Done is my favorite, and I am really fond of All I Am as well.

Offline 425

« Reply #3816 on: March 09, 2019, 12:47:21 PM »
I think it could be one of these 4:

Transatlantic
Flying Colors
Spock's Beard
Yellow Matter Custard

:metal

I was thinking about this just now, and it occurred to me that 2019 is the 10th anniversary of The Whirlwind...
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3817 on: March 09, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »

Transatlantic
Flying Colors
Spock's Beard
Yellow Matter Custard

I was thinking about this just now, and it occurred to me that 2019 is the 10th anniversary of The Whirlwind...

Oh wow, you're right. I didn't think of that. Also, in the logo for Morsefest 2019, the 9 is red, while the 201 is blue, which gives the 9 more emphasis and makes it stand out, so it could refer to 2009, or perhaps 9 years since the Whirld Tour. Either way, it would be awesome to see Transatlantic come back after 5 years of being apart and play The Whirlwind in its entirety for the first time in 9 years, and HOPEFULLY play some of the 2nd disc songs from that album, like "Spinning" or "For Such A Time" in the encore.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3818 on: March 10, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »

Transatlantic
Flying Colors
Spock's Beard
Yellow Matter Custard

Oh wow, you're right. I didn't think of that. Also, in the logo for Morsefest 2019, the 9 is red, while the 201 is blue, which gives the 9 more emphasis and makes it stand out, so it could refer to 2009, or perhaps 9 years since the Whirld Tour. Either way, it would be awesome to see Transatlantic come back after 5 years of being apart and play The Whirlwind in its entirety for the first time in 9 years, and HOPEFULLY play some of the 2nd disc songs from that album, like "Spinning" or "For Such A Time" in the encore.

-Marc.

Sadly, none of that would be happening.
But what is happening I think it’s GREAT by itself.

MM

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3819 on: March 11, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »
Well my guess, however unlikely, just in case I happen to be correct, is 20th anniversary of Day For Night.  Why not, it's a fun album, better than seeing Flying Colors any day (just an opinion of course!), Transatlantic has been played live to death (granted not in 5 or so years).

However, if it's TA and they happen to write some songs while in town, I won't complain.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3820 on: March 11, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
We will know in just over 12 hours from now...the anticipation is killing me. For those of you who are able to afford going, I hope you all get your tickets and accommodations booked in time tomorrow morning!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3821 on: March 11, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »

The Great Adventure played both nights :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3822 on: March 11, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »
Well my guess, however unlikely, just in case I happen to be correct, is 20th anniversary of Day For Night.  Why not, it's a fun album, better than seeing Flying Colorsany day (just an opinion of course!), Transatlantic has been played live to death (granted not in 5 or so years).

However, if it's TA and they happen to write some songs while in town, I won't complain.

::)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3823 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:44 PM »

The Great Adventure played both nights :lol

Lol not really. Morsefest

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3824 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:32 AM »
Watch it end up being something that no one predicted. :lol :lol

I do find it more than a bit odd that they are not announcing what will be on the docket prior to tickets going on sale, but it is what it is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3825 on: March 12, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3826 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:13 AM »
As for further discussion on Morsefest 2019 - I think the idea of doing Flying Colors on Night 1 and TGA with the Neal Morse Band on Night 2 sounds like a decent idea, but that would require getting the schedules of 8 musicians (between FC and NMB) to line up together and set aside for a week or more of rehearsals and performance. With the new Flying Colors set to come out next year, they may already be touring around the time a Morsefest would come around, so it might be easy to just work it into the touring schedule. They could play their regular touring set list of whatever they decide to play on the next tour for the first night, and then the NMB would play The Great Adventure on the second night, perhaps with some guest appearances from members of Flying Colors.

-Marc.

Called it. :lol

Well, I guess we can expect a Flying Colors tour to start not long after Morsefest.

-Marc.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3827 on: March 12, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
What's the deal with the dinners each night, is that with the band or something?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3828 on: March 12, 2019, 08:27:49 AM »
So this thing happens in a church? Is it one of those big-ass megachurches, or Neal's family church with 18 pews?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3829 on: March 12, 2019, 08:33:58 AM »
What's the deal with the dinners each night, is that with the band or something?

Neal and Bill come out and actually cook the meal and serve it to you, like you're at a Japanese steakhouse. :P

So this thing happens in a church? Is it one of those big-ass megachurches, or Neal's family church with 18 pews?

Neal's church, which I believe is non-denominational, and they do a good job of making the atmosphere very much like a rock concert.  And it probably is no more than 20 pews deep (two center sections, two side sections).  And fortunately, the pews are super comfortable; they aren't those wooden ones you probably still find at a lot of Catholic churches. :lol :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3830 on: March 12, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
So we'll be getting TGA on a DVD/BluRay then from this? Since every Morsefest seems to get a DVD release, if I'm not mistaken.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3831 on: March 12, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
Booked for both nights :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3832 on: March 12, 2019, 08:41:15 AM »
So we'll be getting TGA on a DVD/BluRay then from this? Since every Morsefest seems to get a DVD release, if I'm not mistaken.

Most likely, yes. But this presents an interesting release format. I doubt we will get a double-night release like Testimony Of A Dream, from Morsefest 2017, since the first night isn't NMB, so if we get another art book, it'll be just for night 2 (like Snow Live).

If they officially release night 1 as a stand alone live album, Flying Colors will be like Transatlantic in that they will have more live albums than studio ones (assuming they release a live album from their FC3 Tour).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:49:29 AM by The Letter M »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3833 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3834 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:01 AM »
with the band being enhanced by horns, strings, BGVs, and more!
Gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed by this. IMO these things are rarely as good as just a good, ole fashioned rock concert.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3835 on: March 12, 2019, 08:52:27 AM »

No, it is for you to have dinner before the show

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3836 on: March 12, 2019, 09:44:53 AM »
Gotta say, I'm kind of disappointed by this. IMO these things are rarely as good as just a good, ole fashioned rock concert.

I wouldn't fret.  The horns, strings, etc. are there to enhance the show, not overtake it.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3837 on: March 12, 2019, 09:55:04 AM »
I'd prefer a dvd from somewhere like Tilburg for TGA tour. No extra bells and whistles, just the five band members putting on a great rock show!
 On the last tour (TSOAD) the Live in Tilburg dvd blows the Morsefest version out of the broken blue skies imo..  No comparison!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3838 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »

I wouldn't fret.  The horns, strings, etc. are there to enhance the show, not overtake it.
Yeah, it never seems to work that way, though. Also, part of what left me so gobsmacked by the whole thing was five guys doing it all themselves. I'll probably still go, mostly because it'll be something of an, well, adventure. Plus there's some BBQ up there that I'm kind of keen on. My expectations are a bit diminished, though. I was really wanting to see the same show I saw two weeks ago.
E.F. Benson

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3839 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:24 AM »
FRIDAY, 8/30

·      2:30 PM | VIP #1 doors open

·      3:00 - 5:00 PM | Exclusive VIP Experience #1 (VIP #1 ticket required)

·      5:00 - 6:30 PM | Pre-show dinner (advanced purchase necessary) (included in VIP #1 package)

·      6:30 PM | Doors open (VIP guests enter first)

·      7:30 PM | Concert (“An Evening with Flying Colors”)

SATURDAY, 8/31

·      10:00 - 11:00 AM | Inner Circle doors open

·      11:00 AM - 12:00 NOON | Inner Circle Performance (FREE and for Inner Circle members ONLY!)

·      12:30 PM | VIP #3 doors open

·      1:00 - 3:00 PM | Exclusive VIP Experience #3 (VIP #3 ticket required)

·      2:30 PM | VIP #2 doors open

·      3:00 - 5:00 PM | Exclusive VIP Experience #2 (VIP #2 ticket required)

·      5:00 - 6:30 PM | Pre-show dinner (advanced purchase necessary) (included in VIP #2 and VIP #3 packages)

·      6:30 PM | Doors open (VIP guests enter first)

·      7:30 PM | Concert (“The Neal Morse Band: The Great Adventure” performance & DVD filming)

See the bolded part.

So, there won't be a DVD filming of FC's night

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3840 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:39 AM »
An evening with Flying Colors sounds great, that must be spectacular.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3841 on: March 12, 2019, 12:33:47 PM »
I'd prefer a dvd from somewhere like Tilburg for TGA tour. No extra bells and whistles, just the five band members putting on a great rock show!
 On the last tour (TSOAD) the Live in Tilburg dvd blows the Morsefest version out of the broken blue skies imo..  No comparison!

I think they will likely record and release a show from the TGA European tour and release it as a more budget-version of the live show, like the Tilburg show was for TSOAD. Considering how much Neal likes to milk live releases (TSOAD, Transatlantic's Whirld Tour), I'm sure he'll consider, if not already plan on releasing a live show from the European tour (if not specifically Tilburg).

-Marc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3842 on: March 12, 2019, 01:04:13 PM »

I think they will likely record and release a show from the TGA European tour and release it as a more budget-version of the live show, like the Tilburg show was for TSOAD. Considering how much Neal likes to milk live releases (TSOAD, Transatlantic's Whirld Tour), I'm sure he'll consider, if not already plan on releasing a live show from the European tour (if not specifically Tilburg).

-Marc.
In that interview by Rodrigo a few pages back, MP and Neal both said they would like to film somewhere else than Tilburg this time around.  I really don't know why since Tilburg is allready set up for it which makes it alot easier.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3843 on: March 12, 2019, 05:31:16 PM »
Flying Colors it is!  I wasn't going to go this year anyway due to using up my years' worth of vacation elsewhere already.  Should be a great trip for all who go (I'm excited for all who's going!).  Luckily, I've already seen TGA (in Chicago), so I'm not too bummed.  I've only gone to Morsefest twice.  First year, couldn't pass up the opportunity to see T1 and One.  And I have been wanting to hear JC the Exorcist since hearing partial demos in 2009 (inner circle), so I went last year also. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3844 on: March 12, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »

-Marc.
In that interview by Rodrigo a few pages back, MP and Neal both said they would like to film somewhere else than Tilburg this time around.  I really don't know why since Tilburg is allready set up for it which makes it alot easier.

That is pretty interesting, though understandably so - Neal has SO many albums released that were recorded in Tilburg:
Spock's Beard - Don't Try This At Home
Transatlantic - Live In Europe CD & DVD
Transatlantic - More Never Is Enough DVD
Transatlantic - KaLIVEoscope CD
Flying Colors - Live In Europe CD/DVD/BD
Neal Morse - Testimony Live DVD
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream: Live In Tilburg 2017

And most of these have been in the last 10 years. As great a venue as the 013 is, I think Neal would like a change of pace for his live albums, at least for now.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3845 on: March 12, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »
The DVD's filmed in Tillburg seem to always turn out great, so I get why Neal keeps filming shows there.  I get thinking another city deserves a shot, but remember when they did the T2 tour one from LA?  That one turned out very poorly for a variety of reasons. 

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3846 on: March 13, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »

-Marc.

That is pretty interesting, though understandably so - Neal has SO many albums released that were recorded in Tilburg:
Spock's Beard - Don't Try This At Home
Transatlantic - Live In Europe CD & DVD
Transatlantic - More Never Is Enough DVD
Transatlantic - KaLIVEoscope CD
Flying Colors - Live In Europe CD/DVD/BD
Neal Morse - Testimony Live DVD
The Neal Morse Band - The Similitude Of A Dream: Live In Tilburg 2017

And most of these have been in the last 10 years. As great a venue as the 013 is, I think Neal would like a change of pace for his live albums, at least for now.

-Marc.

That's why I asked them!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3847 on: March 13, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
This would be fun as night 2 is on my birthday. Sadly, most likely cant go either way.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3848 on: March 14, 2019, 01:12:42 PM »
Think I'm going to pass on Morsefest despite hearing about how great it's been. I like a handful of 'Flying Colors' songs.....and really liked TGA show I just saw.....but neither really prompt me to want to drop $150 on tix for both nights and then added expenses for the trip. Will just be satisfied with the certain DVD that will come from it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3849 on: March 18, 2019, 09:42:41 AM »
Radiant just released the March IC download - a video of the band doing a listen-thru of TGA, similar to what Neal did for TSOAD but with everyone this time!

-Marc.