Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 283152 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4760 on: August 12, 2023, 01:16:23 PM »
Yea. I’m digging SNW a lot more than the other shows. So happy to see it keep going. But I just read that they’re going to be bringing in even more TOS characters moving forward.

I just wish ST would move past this nostalgia phase. Sooooo much of modern Trek is nostalgia and I’m over it. Make something new and original in the spirit of ST and not needing to rely on reminding us about other ST all the time.

This complaint baffles me. From day 1….No from before day one when they announced a series about Pike’s Enterprise pre-TOS…it was obvious that they only had a limited timeline before they ran into the TOS years. So they really don’t have any choice but to make sure that, by the time Pike has his accident and Kirk takes over, the TOS cast is in place. Anyone who’s not already there would HAVE to be brought in at some point or none of this will make any sense at all.

I’m not shocked and surprised. I don’t not understand it.

I just don’t love it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4761 on: August 12, 2023, 01:57:37 PM »
I'm still having fun seeing how they fit the pieces together.  To me, it's simliar to the Star Wars prequels.  We all know where the characters end up, but there are still stories to tell about how they get there, and other characters along the way.  At first, I had trouble accepting the new versions of Chapel, Uhura, and some of the others.  Spock I thought was pretty good from the start IMO.  Then they started playing with canonical events and stories, but in Season 2 we've seen how things are on something of a trajectory to line up with where things are at the start of TOS.  It doesn't even feel like course correction; it's more like they allowed themselves to take a few left turns, then brought things back around, just for fun.  I like that.  It's an interesting study in writing, and what you can do with the characters but still keep things within canon.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4762 on: August 14, 2023, 05:35:44 AM »
A pretty great cliffhanger overall, but -

When Spock happens to sail by the exact window Chapel was looking out I’m  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4763 on: August 15, 2023, 09:12:30 AM »
Finally caught the last 2 episodes of SNW's.   The musical one was something I feared, it's just not my thing - and this wasn't, but I can they put a lot of effort into it, so it's really unfair for me to be critical, so yeah good episode - just not for me.  The finale was fine, but I'm just not sold on this version of the Gorn at all, the new Scotty nailed the role straight away I thought (better than Pegg) so that's good, the cliffhanger is annoying - based on the strikes it'll be a long wait for season 3 unfortunately.
Overall season 2 continued from the first season of being good Trek - I just think everything is in place for this to step up to great Trek - hopefully next season.

Online ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4764 on: August 17, 2023, 12:51:39 PM »
So the lack of Pike in season 2 had nothing to do with the writers or trying to force in Kirk and the TOS crew. Turns out, Mount's wife gave birth a few months before shooting began and he asked for a reduced role in the season in order to spend time with his wife and newborn. It apparently was to continue to be a very Pike centric show but they agreed to his request and re-jiggered a bunch of scripts and his shooting schedule to allow for it. I imagine that next season will be a return to Pike, whenever all the strikes end and they can actually work on it.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4765 on: August 17, 2023, 06:16:51 PM »
So the lack of Pike in season 2 had nothing to do with the writers or trying to force in Kirk and the TOS crew. Turns out, Mount's wife gave birth a few months before shooting began and he asked for a reduced role in the season in order to spend time with his wife and newborn. It apparently was to continue to be a very Pike centric show but they agreed to his request and re-jiggered a bunch of scripts and his shooting schedule to allow for it. I imagine that next season will be a return to Pike, whenever all the strikes end and they can actually work on it.

Yeah....and honestly....I don't think the show 'suffered' from Mount's overall reduced role but this season by in large was just 'ok'. Mount drives that show and cast IMO and without him being the 'center' of it all it did lack a bit.

I thought the season started strong but finished kind of 'eh'......will still watch because it's loads better than Discovery but am definitely wanting to get more of Pike.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4766 on: September 02, 2023, 10:04:17 PM »
I’m taking the time to pull out my BluRay’s and do my very first start to finish binge watch of TOS. As much as I’m familiar with probably 90% of these episodes, I’ve never actually sat down and watched them from beginning to end.

Something struck me as The Menagerie started. We’ve all been thinking that SNW couldn’t have more than a 5 year lifespan, but Spock states here that he served under Pike for 11 years. So there’s that.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4767 on: September 03, 2023, 01:08:14 AM »
I’m taking the time to pull out my BluRay’s and do my very first start to finish binge watch of TOS. As much as I’m familiar with probably 90% of these episodes, I’ve never actually sat down and watched them from beginning to end.

Something struck me as The Menagerie started. We’ve all been thinking that SNW couldn’t have more than a 5 year lifespan, but Spock states here that he served under Pike for 11 years. So there’s that.

Nice find!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4768 on: September 03, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »

There were a lot of false starts when I was trying to watch through TOS. It did eventually click with me and I enjoy it event though I rarely go back to watch TOS episodes.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4769 on: September 03, 2023, 07:27:23 AM »
A few years ago I started (and this year finished) my complete ST rewatch (minus the animated series) and TOS was not always easy to get through. I made sure not skip anything but really wanted to at times.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4770 on: September 03, 2023, 08:12:15 AM »
A few years ago I started (and this year finished) my complete ST rewatch (minus the animated series) and TOS was not always easy to get through. I made sure not skip anything but really wanted to at times.

I will be going through the animated series as well. It’s a part of my boxed set, and since the rights were re-acquired it has been officially declared “season 4 of TOS”.  It’s the same writers and cast. And as far as I know, they mostly used story ideas from what would’ve been season 4 or stories they couldn’t use before because of budgetary issues.

Never understood those who dismiss TAS just because it’s animated. It’s actually not the “Saturday Morning Kids Show” that it appears to be. I’ve watched a few episodes and it’s surprisingly good.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4771 on: September 03, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »
I might watch it one day. I think for me the animation style just was hard to sit through. I saw an episode or two and it was good but the style was distracting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4772 on: September 03, 2023, 06:20:00 PM »
Since there is now a streaming service that actually serves the new Star Trek shows in Sweden, I got around to binging SNW over the last week. Definitely feels a lot closer in spirit and tone to the TNG-Voyager era, and the cast dynamic is great. I did like discovery but I think that was a show that felt like it wanted to be grittier for the sake of being modern, whereas SNW seemed to embrace the whimsey while retaining a bit of the darker edge at times, which I prefer. All in all, looking forward to seeing where this crew goes.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4773 on: September 03, 2023, 08:52:00 PM »
I might watch it one day. I think for me the animation style just was hard to sit through. I saw an episode or two and it was good but the style was distracting.

I watched it as kid, in reruns in the mid to late 70's. The 70's cartoons looking back were hideous compared to the 50's cartoons.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4774 on: September 03, 2023, 10:08:36 PM »
“This ship….surging and throbbing….yet under control.  Are you like that captain?” - The Conscience of the King

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #4775 on: September 04, 2023, 02:14:40 PM »
I keep forgetting that I like musicals. :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4776 on: September 09, 2023, 06:36:27 AM »

I will be going through the animated series as well. It’s a part of my boxed set, and since the rights were re-acquired it has been officially declared “season 4 of TOS”.  It’s the same writers and cast. And as far as I know, they mostly used story ideas from what would’ve been season 4 or stories they couldn’t use before because of budgetary issues.

Never understood those who dismiss TAS just because it’s animated. It’s actually not the “Saturday Morning Kids Show” that it appears to be. I’ve watched a few episodes and it’s surprisingly good.

James Blish published novelettes of all the animated stories and they were very very good.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4777 on: September 16, 2023, 12:52:01 AM »
Lower Decks continues being fun.  :)

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4778 on: September 30, 2023, 08:29:46 AM »
That's funny, I just came here to say I'm officially off it. I stopped halfway through the current episode, I don't need constant F-bombs in my Star Trek. Started watching the old animated series from the 70s instead.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4779 on: October 02, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »
Fair enough. Was that the episode with the betazoids where they all get super emotional, by any chance? The bar scene was, I thought, quite a stressful watch for an animated show!

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4780 on: October 05, 2023, 03:55:23 PM »
Any of my fellow Niners getting the Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko next month?

During The Sisko Day events in the spring, the author had to stay silent on some direct questions about Sisko. But he slyly hinted that questions about Sisko's existence post-DS9 would be answered. Really looking forward to the book.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4781 on: October 06, 2023, 04:44:37 PM »
I haven't even heard of that but holy shit I definitely will get it.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4782 on: October 06, 2023, 04:47:10 PM »
Any of my fellow Niners getting the Autobiography of Benjamin Sisko next month?

During The Sisko Day events in the spring, the author had to stay silent on some direct questions about Sisko. But he slyly hinted that questions about Sisko's existence post-DS9 would be answered. Really looking forward to the book.

What is that? Like a book by and about Avery Brooks? Or a novel about Sisko? Haven’t there been a number of those?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4783 on: November 30, 2023, 06:12:28 PM »
So I never paid much attention to Voyager when it came out, other than I liked The Doctor. Well now my wife has been binge-watching due our son-in-law's recommendation and she is really liking it. I've caught quite a bit peripherally and must say it looks better than I remember because I gave up on it too soon. The actor playing Neelix is particularly good.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4784 on: November 30, 2023, 09:35:17 PM »
We watched Voyager the entire run.  It had some low points, but overall it was pretty good.  A lot of people found Neelix to be annoying, but I was fine with him, and Ethan Phillips was one of the better actors on that show.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4785 on: December 01, 2023, 08:13:35 AM »
VOY was a lot better than many think it was. It's also not as good as a lot of people think it is. Taken as a whole and 25 years later it's pretty spotty.

The biggest problem with Neelix is that there was just too much of him. They were constantly looking for ways to shoehorn him into every situation, making him every sort of character they ever needed. I found him godawful, but as a minor character he wouldn't have been so bad. As a key character in so many episodes I just grew to hate him.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4786 on: December 01, 2023, 08:15:16 AM »
I did a rewatch recently and I liked Voyager. I think Neelix became a much better written character after the whole Kes relationship thing fizzled out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4787 on: December 01, 2023, 01:46:03 PM »
I felt like they had some idea what to do with Neelix and Kes, but it either wasn't fully worked out ahead of time or it changed over time.  The idea of a species with such a short lifespan should have led to some interesting storylines, but it really didn't pan out.  Instead they focused on how naive she was, and how Neelix was trying to be her guardian or surrogate parent, despite being pretty naive himself in a number of ways.  The Internet was still in its infancy in some ways, but I remember the Usenet message boards, and once it was pointed out that Kes was only like 1.5 years old or something (though an adult in her species lifetime) there was a weird vibe.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4788 on: December 01, 2023, 01:54:59 PM »
I felt like they had some idea what to do with Neelix and Kes, but it either wasn't fully worked out ahead of time or it changed over time.  The idea of a species with such a short lifespan should have led to some interesting storylines, but it really didn't pan out.  Instead they focused on how naive she was, and how Neelix was trying to be her guardian or surrogate parent, despite being pretty naive himself in a number of ways.  The Internet was still in its infancy in some ways, but I remember the Usenet message boards, and once it was pointed out that Kes was only like 1.5 years old or something (though an adult in her species lifetime) there was a weird vibe.
This is all pretty much correct, except I'd say that Neelix wanted to fuck her more than be a surrogate parent; that was simply part and parcel with his goal. I'd said a while back that they should have aged Kes in real time for her species (1 year per season), so she'd be a pretty old 8½ after the series run. Apparently they'd had the exact same idea but never really went ahead with it. The thing is, a whole lot of characters start off this way. They've got a general idea of how they want them to go, but it changes on the fly towards what works best. Troi was one example. Jadzia Dax was a better example. The character she became was vastly different than what was originally planned. I think with Kes she just never really got any direction. Part of that's on the writers, and part of that is probably on Lien. In ST the actors dictate quite a bit of the qualities of the character.

As much as I dislike him as a character, Neelix did actually stay quite truthful to what was envisioned, which was a super-resourceful, jack of all trades type of guy. They just took that way, way too far. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4789 on: December 01, 2023, 02:52:02 PM »
Agreed on what you say about Neelix.  I was mostly okay with him because I understood what they were trying to do with the character, but I can see how he can be really annoying.

And I kinda wanted to fuck Kes, too, so we had that in common.  :angel:

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4790 on: January 05, 2024, 10:25:17 AM »
fan-made apparently, but this would a huge deal if it actually happened (along with in the comments, talking about Ronald D. Moore and Robert Hewitt Wolfe taking over the franchise).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PbOqlimFlo

Offline Adami

« Reply #4791 on: January 05, 2024, 12:05:17 PM »
fan-made apparently, but this would a huge deal if it actually happened (along with in the comments, talking about Ronald D. Moore and Robert Hewitt Wolfe taking over the franchise).

Where have you read about Moore and Wolfe taking over?

I'd imagine they're sticking with the Kurtzman gang forever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4792 on: January 05, 2024, 01:10:42 PM »

Where have you read about Moore and Wolfe taking over?

I'd imagine they're sticking with the Kurtzman gang forever.
Insofar as I can tell, Wolfie has never been associated with Kurtzman.

There are numerous reasons why this isn't happening. One of them is that under the fairly onerous guidelines about fan produced stuff, this would violate any number of those rules.
E.F. Benson

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4793 on: January 12, 2024, 02:32:23 AM »
I'd pretty much given up on Disco - I didn't take the chance to watch Season 4 when I had Paramount+ for SNW.  But the Paramount+ offer over Christmas tempted me, so now I have it for a full year so I'm going to take the plunge, hope to get it finished before the final season starts.

Offline Adami

« Reply #4794 on: January 13, 2024, 12:24:37 PM »
So the latest thing I’ve heard about a new ST movie is that it takes place decades before the 2009 movie.

Why?
fanticide.bandcamp.com