Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 279867 times)

Offline Dream Team

Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4725 on: August 01, 2023, 07:31:20 AM »
Yeah they're kinda going anti-TOS where Kirk was pretty much the focus of every episode. But that's what's in these days, teams and ensembles.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4726 on: August 01, 2023, 07:34:02 AM »
Yeah they're kinda going anti-TOS where Kirk was pretty much the focus of every episode. But that's what's in these days, teams and ensembles.

Which is fine. They’ve got a good cast. Let them shine. But they also have a great character in Pike. Just hope they find more of a balance and not have him so pushed to the sidelines.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4727 on: August 01, 2023, 07:54:06 AM »

Which is fine. They’ve got a good cast. Let them shine. But they also have a great character in Pike. Just hope they find more of a balance and not have him so pushed to the sidelines.

It's not just him playing a smaller role, he's just become so passive - I know him being relatable and everyone's mate is a huge part of his charm and that's great....but this season he seems to be lacking any authority.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4728 on: August 01, 2023, 03:44:31 PM »

It's not just him playing a smaller role, he's just become so passive - I know him being relatable and everyone's mate is a huge part of his charm and that's great....but this season he seems to be lacking any authority.

I don't imagine it's intentional. Just that they've focussed on everyone else, in the main. I'm sure there'll be more premium Pike action.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4729 on: August 03, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »
I was really starting to love this episode, but once again they had to go too far. KIRK DID NOT KNOW HE HAD A CHILD!!  :facepalm:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4730 on: August 03, 2023, 09:24:22 PM »
So La’an, tell me. On a scale of 1 to Eponine…
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4731 on: August 03, 2023, 09:43:13 PM »
Ok…who’s ready to buy the soundtrack to listen to in the car?

Online Adami

« Reply #4732 on: August 03, 2023, 09:50:29 PM »
Ok…who’s ready to buy the soundtrack to listen to in the car?

You know, I really dug a few of the songs. Especially the first one. But a lot of them felt like kind of generic radio songs. Nothing bad, but nothing special.

Overall it was a cute episode that was a bit lacking story wise. And I was into the music until the Klingons sang. Then it went into parody territory for me. Still, liked 80% of it or so.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #4733 on: August 03, 2023, 09:52:17 PM »
I was really starting to love this episode, but once again they had to go too far. KIRK DID NOT KNOW HE HAD A CHILD!!  :facepalm:

Yea….

I had to google that to remind myself. Pretty sure Kirk didn’t know. Or maybe he didn’t know the kid knew? Honestly can’t remember the details.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4734 on: August 03, 2023, 09:53:26 PM »
Even money that this is now a regular feature of comicon’s across the country forevermore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4735 on: August 03, 2023, 10:03:03 PM »

You had me thinking for a minute that this was true…but my wife and I were just discussing WOK and our recollection is that Kirk asks Carol, “Is that David?”….the implication is that he was aware that she had his child, but the reality of never seeing him as a baby and now being face to face with an adult was a huge shock.

So by my recollection, he DID know he had a child, he just put it outside his day to day thought process. Until one day it was looking at him.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4736 on: August 04, 2023, 09:34:14 AM »
If so, my bad. And yes, the Klingon bit was too much.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4737 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »
Haven't watched yet but I have zero interest in a musical.....which is what this episode sounds like it is. Is there a 'roll eyes' emote?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4738 on: August 04, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
So was this like a Treehouse of Horror episode, where they just make a random episode that exists outside of the real world? Or was there some sort of spacial anomaly or virus that caused them to all sing?

Based on the 2 minutes I saw on YT, they've got one cast member who can sing and 17 metric shit-tons of autotune. And judging from the amount of autotune, the rest of the cast must be truly awful.

How long is it before Pike melts his face off? Judging from the amount of Kirk it seems kind of obvious that they're setting things up for the subsequent seasons where it's a proper TOS reboot. He's a recurring character at this point, and they'll introduce one of Sulu, Scott, or McCoy pretty soon.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4739 on: August 04, 2023, 01:55:41 PM »
So was this like a Treehouse of Horror episode, where they just make a random episode that exists outside of the real world? Or was there some sort of spacial anomaly or virus that caused them to all sing?

Based on the 2 minutes I saw on YT, they've got one cast member who can sing and 17 metric shit-tons of autotune. And judging from the amount of autotune, the rest of the cast must be truly awful.

How long is it before Pike melts his face off? Judging from the amount of Kirk it seems kind of obvious that they're setting things up for the subsequent seasons where it's a proper TOS reboot. He's a recurring character at this point, and they'll introduce one of Sulu, Scott, or McCoy pretty soon.

Spatial anomaly…and yes, there’s actually a scientific-ish explanation.

I thought it was fun. There is a crap ton of auto tune, but considering the story line and the fact that they are using their existing actors and not actual singers, I think it works.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4740 on: August 04, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »
Another great episode, afaic. Love how much different stuff they're doing in this season. The Klingon part was awesome!

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4741 on: August 07, 2023, 11:19:30 AM »
Another great episode, afaic. Love how much different stuff they're doing in this season. The Klingon part was awesome!

Great episode.  Clearly influenced by the Buffy musical episode, which I consider the gold standard for how to do a musical episode of television. 

Online Adami

« Reply #4742 on: August 07, 2023, 11:49:37 AM »

Spatial anomaly…and yes, there’s actually a scientific-ish explanation.

I thought it was fun. There is a crap ton of auto tune, but considering the story line and the fact that they are using their existing actors and not actual singers, I think it works.

Honestly, I thought the autotune was to make it sound as modern as possible, which I think was to its detriment. If they had actually gone the way of a musical, rather than singing big pop songs (though a few were legit musical style), then they might not need so much autotune and vocal production.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4743 on: August 07, 2023, 12:10:41 PM »
We're finally watching this since the last episode should be out this week I think. The Lower Decks episode was so amazing.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #4744 on: August 07, 2023, 06:09:12 PM »
 I am quite disappointed in how this season has turned out so far. I'm amazed at what some of you are amazed by.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4745 on: August 08, 2023, 12:59:30 AM »
I am quite disappointed in how this season has turned out so far. I'm amazed at what some of you are amazed by.

I'm amazed that there's not one but two Trek shows I dig (in LD and SNW) and that they're both quite different in tone to previous outings.

Particularly, SNW. The cast of SNW and focus on their strengths and interplay is a pleasure to watch. Did not expect to be enjoying it this much.

Getting the same kind of feedback on SNW from everyone I know who likes Trek.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4746 on: August 08, 2023, 04:12:21 AM »
I feel this has been a perfectly watchable and generally enjoyable season, but it's also been most extremely lightweight (at times it feels like a work based comedy) and generally lacking much in the way of the exploration/adventure aspect of Trek.  I feel like with the potential they have with this cast they could do something really special (hopefully in the future).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 05:14:34 AM by soupytwist »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4747 on: August 08, 2023, 04:14:26 PM »
I feel this has been a perfectly watchable and generally enjoyable season, but it's also been most extremely lightweight (at times it feels like a work based comedy) and generally lacking much in the way of the exploration/adventure aspect of Trek.  I feel like with the potential they have with this cast they could do something really special (hopefully in the future).

Yeah, agreed. Mainly light. I'm happy with that, though.

As they've started light and earned attachment, they could do some serious episodes in the future and it would be impactful.

I don't recall us visiting many strange new worlds so far, now you mention it.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4748 on: August 08, 2023, 05:56:34 PM »
As a fan of both Star Trek and of musical theater, I was okay with the episode.  If I had any real complaints about the musical side of things, I'd say that the lyrics were often rather clever (I loved the opening number "Status Report" which included and rhymed a fair amount of technobabble) and generally the music was pretty good, but when you announce not just a Big Ensemble Number but a Grand Finale, it should be a Grand Finale.  I really wanted that closing piece to blow me away, but honestly, it was a little on the weak side.  Musically it was on par with the some of the earlier ensemble pieces, but if I were ranking-obsessed (as many DTF'ers seem to be) I'd put it somewhere below the median overall.  Some of the solo numbers were pretty good, some not so much.  But what the hell, it was fun.

I'm still trying to connect dots and storylines between what we're seeing here and what happens "later" in TOS.  I want to believe that this is in the same timeline and that there will be continuity, even if it hasn't been explicitly stated (or has it?)  They seem to be expanding upon canon, occasionally bending it a bit, but there seems to be some care taken to honor TOS canon and not outright contradict it.  I can still see how Spock and Chapel end up where they are in TOS.  After this painful breakup (which he wasn't even sure was a breakup at all, but clearly is now), Spock eventually decides to go "full Vulcan" with his emotions and furthermore to treat Chapel as a shipmate and nothing more.  Chapel goes off to study with Roger Korby and they get involved but it obviously doesn't work out.  She returns to The Enterprise and finds that she still feels something for Spock, but he's having none of it.

Dr. M'Benga's exit was set up last episode when he killed that Klingon ambassador.  Self-defense or not, killing a diplomat is generally not a good career move, and there's a reason why he's on The Enterprise in TOS but no longer Chief Medical Officer.

The La'an-Kirk thing is weird, but we got our first name-drop of Carol (Marcus obviously) and that she's pregnant with David.  I think that this was basically the end of the La'an-Kirk thing.

Poor Captain Batel.  Off to some Priority One Mission or something, with only one episode to go in the season.  She's a goner.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4749 on: August 10, 2023, 03:05:48 PM »
No spoilers but season finale was great.

Online Adami

« Reply #4750 on: August 10, 2023, 03:52:19 PM »
No spoilers but season finale was great.

I had low expectations and it was a lot better than I was thinking. I remember seeing that clip of the shuttle almost crashing and then magically coming up at the last minute. I hate that cliche so much. Luckily the show made it work...mostly .

And I also do not care at all about the Gorn. It was a dumb rubber suited dude that Kirk beat with a rock. Enterprise made them look awful as well. Felt weird making them a threat that could take on the Federation. But, luckily, they again took notes from the Alien playbook and made it work.

Didn't love the character cameo, but it was fine. I guess it's only a matter of time before the rest of them show up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4751 on: August 10, 2023, 04:26:26 PM »
The Gorn is definitely a weird choice, as you say. I don't remember feeling anything about them in S1 and still don't, tbh. But they managed to make it fun and entertaining throughout, pretty much.

I liked the cameo name modification from the older crew member.  :smiley:

It's not my dream Trek by any means, but I've really enjoyed it this season. I guess I've stopped expecting or wanting it to be anything and am just enjoying it for what it is. I look forward to it coming on and care about what what happens to the characters. I'm still not quite sure how they've done it. Feels like it's more then the sum of its parts.

If they can carry on like this for a couple more seasons I'll be very satisfied with that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 11:39:31 PM by DoctorAction »

Online Adami

« Reply #4752 on: August 11, 2023, 09:22:08 AM »
Yea. I’m digging SNW a lot more than the other shows. So happy to see it keep going. But I just read that they’re going to be bringing in even more TOS characters moving forward.

I just wish ST would move past this nostalgia phase. Sooooo much of modern Trek is nostalgia and I’m over it. Make something new and original in the spirit of ST and not needing to rely on reminding us about other ST all the time.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 10:04:42 AM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4753 on: August 11, 2023, 09:50:09 AM »
Yea. I’m digging SNW a lot more than the other shows. So happy to see it keep going. But I just read that they’re going to be bringing in even more TOS characters moving forward.

I just wish ST would love past this nostalgia phase. Sooooo much of modern Trek is nostalgia and I’m over it. Make something new and original in the spirit of ST and not needing to rely on reminding us about other ST all the time.
I said a week ago they're very clearly backdooring this into a TOS series. That's the only reason they'd make JTK a recurring character. My guess is that the Enterprise is Pike's ship for one more season and it'll be Kirk's for S4. Either McCoy or Sulu will be along around S3E3 or 4, and the other will be a season 3 finale arrival. Honestly, it's not a bad way to go about this. I just wish people would stop thinking of this as the prime timeline when it's so obviously not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4754 on: August 11, 2023, 02:36:32 PM »

I just wish ST would move past this nostalgia phase. Sooooo much of modern Trek is nostalgia and I’m over it. Make something new and original in the spirit of ST and not needing to rely on reminding us about other ST all the time.

I'm with you. The time jump from S2 - S3 in Discovery moved us into the new but the, I don't know, approach/style/shitness blew that opportunity.

What's your fancy? For me, a brand new crew, minimal links to existing characters or aliens but doing that classic physical/moral exploration thing. I'm happy with a ship or station. Maybe both. Starfleet is the rigid but respected moral status quo. The open style of SNW is entrancing. I love it and want more of it but don't know how it would feel when not infused with the 60s throwbacks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4755 on: August 11, 2023, 02:44:57 PM »

I'm with you. The time jump from S2 - S3 in Discovery moved us into the new but the, I don't know, approach/style/shitness blew that opportunity.

What's your fancy? For me, a brand new crew, minimal links to existing characters or aliens but doing that classic physical/moral exploration thing. I'm happy with a ship or station. Maybe both. Starfleet is the rigid but respected moral status quo. The open style of SNW is entrancing. I love it and want more of it but don't know how it would feel when not infused with the 60s throwbacks.
I'd probably prefer the same route. The truth is that they're using familiarity as a crutch. As much as they want to say that this is the same Star Trek in the same universe it's very clearly not. It honestly seems like they're using callbacks and known characters more for the gee-wiz moments than to actually use them for what they were. While I certainly think the tone of this is a big step forward, and they are trying to pay homage to the original idea, they're really just exploiting the actual characters.

That having been said, the new cast with the new themes will suck ass. The only reason they're pulling of SNW is because of that aforementioned crutch. Any other forays into the ST universe without the nostalgia factor will have to return to the more modern style of Trek out of necessity, and I won't want any part of that, either.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #4756 on: August 11, 2023, 02:53:02 PM »
I was going to say something similar to Barto.

The show I want can’t be made because they’ve written themselves into a corner now. People only watched Picard and SNW because of the nostalgia. If they create a new original trek that wasn’t just dumb angry action, they’d lose ratings.

For better or worse (often better) ST used to be about giving people what the creators think they needed, not what the people wanted. Now ST is solely about giving the people what they want. They want nostalgia, high production, cool visuals, and action. It’s a shame. Chasing audience expectations is a losing journey.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4757 on: August 11, 2023, 04:11:56 PM »
I'd like to think there is a place for a successful, cerebral and entertaining Trek show. When I see shows like Barry, Severance and Better Call Saul, I see things where my expectations of nuance and sophistication and performance are greatly exceeded. I'd love to see that in Star Trek.

The more success the Trek brand has, the more licence it has to do challenging things.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4758 on: August 12, 2023, 01:32:49 AM »
Star Trek is at its best when it has engaging characters having fun slightly campy adventures. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4759 on: August 12, 2023, 07:21:05 AM »

This complaint baffles me. From day 1….No from before day one when they announced a series about Pike’s Enterprise pre-TOS…it was obvious that they only had a limited timeline before they ran into the TOS years. So they really don’t have any choice but to make sure that, by the time Pike has his accident and Kirk takes over, the TOS cast is in place. Anyone who’s not already there would HAVE to be brought in at some point or none of this will make any sense at all.