Author Topic: Star Trek: Thread Space 9  (Read 282903 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Star Trek: Thread Space 9
« Reply #4655 on: June 27, 2023, 05:22:33 AM »
Other than the Temp V use in Ep1 for the hallway fight scenes, Ep 1 was fine.

Ep 2 was more character driven, and thus a better Star Trek episode.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4656 on: June 27, 2023, 06:53:28 AM »
I got the feeling episode 2 was probably going to be the first episode, but probably wanted an action episode first so they got swapped - examples why the new witch engineer character didn't show up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 09:13:30 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4657 on: June 27, 2023, 09:03:33 AM »
I got the feeling episode 2 was probably going to be the first episode, but probably wanted an action episode first so they got swapped - examples why the new witch engineer characters didn't show up.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure about your example - she doesn't know Una from Uno.  Why would she participate in the watch party?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4658 on: June 27, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »
So, I will say that season 3 episode 8 of Lower Decks is actually pretty decent. You have to be numb to the constant references and the idea that the characters themselves are huge Star Trek fans, but it actually comes across as fun, emotive, relatable, etc. So not bad.

Just one episode though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4659 on: June 27, 2023, 09:11:51 AM »
Adami, I’m so sorry…

…that the bug up your ass had to die.  :biggrin:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Adami

« Reply #4660 on: June 27, 2023, 09:16:59 AM »
Adami, I’m so sorry…

…that the bug up your ass had to die.  :biggrin:

Hey, condolences accepted.

But really, I do try to be fair. I just don’t like much modern trek. But if I like something or find merit, I’ll be honest. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4661 on: June 27, 2023, 09:21:32 AM »
I got the feeling episode 2 was probably going to be the first episode, but probably wanted an action episode first so they got swapped - examples why the new witch engineer character didn't show up.

She's not a witch, she's you're wife!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4662 on: June 27, 2023, 10:00:02 AM »
Burn her!

Interesting theory, though.  Sometimes the network will request an episode switcheroo, and if we're lucky, we'll get a line or two of dialogue done in reshoots to help make it work.  In this case, we had Pike leaving the ship in Spock's hands so he could go deal with Una's situation, explaining his absence in Episode 1.  If the space dock episode was originally Episode 2, the ship goes to space dock, and Pike and Una disappear to go deal with some bureaucratic BS stirred up by the tribunal, leaving the ship in Spock's hands.  That would also explain why there was no fallout from Spock "stealing" The Enterprise.  The tribunal episode was pretty packed, but it seems like there would've been something.

Online Adami

« Reply #4663 on: June 27, 2023, 06:19:09 PM »
Last episode of season 3 of LD also wasn’t bad.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4664 on: June 28, 2023, 07:52:52 AM »
Last episode of season 3 of LD also wasn’t bad.

I've got Season 3 or this and Season 4 of Disco to watch at some point - sometimes being a completist hurts  >:(

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4665 on: June 29, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »
Woah! Time travel!!! Who woulda thunk???

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4666 on: June 29, 2023, 11:46:51 PM »
Ok…and I say this as SNW’s biggest fan…

That was the worst thing I have ever seen with the Star Trek label on it. Well, actually, I take that back. Nemesis was worse, but not by much.

I feel like Adami did after season 1 of Picard.

I’m usually very forgiving, but that was just awful. How could such a great show have such a huge turd in only the third episode of its second season?

I really hope this is just this series’ “Code of Honor”. Maybe we can just forget this ever happened.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4667 on: June 30, 2023, 03:02:37 AM »
Ok…and I say this as SNW’s biggest fan…

That was the worst thing I have ever seen with the Star Trek label on it. Well, actually, I take that back. Nemesis was worse, but not by much.

I feel like Adami did after season 1 of Picard.

I’m usually very forgiving, but that was just awful. How could such a great show have such a huge turd in only the third episode of its second season?

I really hope this is just this series’ “Code of Honor”. Maybe we can just forget this ever happened.

Interesting.  Not watched the episode yet, but seen some positivity towards it and it's IMDB score is a solid 8.4 right now.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4668 on: June 30, 2023, 07:27:54 AM »
I joked to Mrs. Orbert that it seemed like a blatant attempt to get us to like "new Kirk".  And it was working!  Yeah, he still somehow seems more like Jim Carrey trying to act like William Shatner acting like James T. Kirk (and failing, because there really isn't any Shatner in this version) but oddly, as the episode went on, I got more used to him and found myself rooting for him.

And yeah, this was obviously SNW's "City on the Edge of Forever" but different enough that I could accept it as an homage rather than a rip-off.  I'm sure others will see it differently.

The kiss?  Really?  I didn't think it was earned, but Mrs. O pointed out that this is Kirk.  He gets the girl, period.  Ah yes, that's right.  Fine.

I also didn't think her breakdown at the end was really earned, but what the hell.  They'd been through a lot together the past few days, and it wasn't just that "her version of new Kirk" was gone, it was the release after all the shit she'd just been through.  So I guess that was okay, too.

Overall, I don't know if it was a truly good episode, but I enjoyed the ride.

Online Adami

« Reply #4669 on: June 30, 2023, 08:14:04 AM »
I liked it! Not perfect, but really good and fun.

And Orbert is totally right, he's Jim Carrey in some ways. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's totally it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4670 on: June 30, 2023, 08:22:24 AM »
It's weird, because I was assuming that the new versions of known TOS characters would be more-or-less like their TOS counterparts.  I don't care for the JJ Abrams films, but Karl Urban totally nails Bones McCoy, Simon Pegg nails Scotty, etc.  The voice, the mannerisms.

When we first met Pike in STD (that acronym still cracks me up) he felt much like Kirk from TOS.  This was before they'd come up with the idea to spin off SNW.  Spock was Spock, but maybe they figured making all the TOS characters the same had been done already in the movies, and went a different direction with it.  New Chapel is not TOS Chapel, New Uhura is not TOS Uhura, etc.  But since Pike was already like TOS Kirk, New Kirk had to be different.  Once I figured that out, it was easier to accept the the SNW versions of the characters.  They're supposed to be different.  I don't know if I really care for that, but I think that's the idea.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4671 on: June 30, 2023, 08:35:45 AM »
Minus Jim's really over the top exaggerations of Shatner.  Though,

We

All

Do it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4672 on: June 30, 2023, 08:42:53 AM »
Funny thing happens when you steal television. I only recently discovered that I'd never downloaded the final episode of SNW, and only more recently (last weekend) got around to watching it. I honestly had no problem at all with Kirk. He does actually look like Jim Carey doing Kirk, but, at least in that episode, he didn't act like it. I have no idea how he'll be moving forward, but I was honestly impressed by the restraint that they showed. Aside from posing him in that Kirk, macho stance every time a door opened I thought he was pretty low key. Not to mention he seemed to have Kirk's grasp of how to be a good captain. His posture was really the only caricature that I noticed.

On that episode, revisiting Balance of Terror was a hoot. I liked the idea. I thought the Romulans were stupid, though. Another instance of the show going to great lengths to be faithful to the original while simultaneously finding ways to completely dump all over established lore. The Romulans aren't bloodthirsty savages. They're predatory and conniving, but that's not what we saw.  Also, while I understand why they had to frame it this way for Pike's development, it would have been a better episode if it were Kirk who learned something from Pike rather than the other way around. This isn't Kirk's show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4673 on: June 30, 2023, 09:21:50 AM »
When we first met Pike in STD (that acronym still cracks me up)

This is a pet peeve of mine.  If Trek fans were l consistent with the abbreviations, then it should be DIS (or ST:DIS). 

Single-word titles:
ST:ENT or ENT
ST:VOY or VOY
ST:DIS or DIS

Three-word titles:
ST:TOS or TOS
ST:TNG or TNG

But people didn't like the show so thought it funnier to use STD, instead. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4674 on: June 30, 2023, 09:31:20 AM »
But people didn't like the show so thought it funnier to use STD, instead.
Damn, who died and made you Stadler?  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4675 on: June 30, 2023, 10:13:07 AM »
I don't think it was that insidious.  When Star Trek: Discovery first started, it had great promise and wasn't the shitfest that it later became.  I liked the idea of Trek from the point of view of some lowly cadet nobody, working her way up the ranks.  It was only when they decided to turn her into the greatest human to ever live, savior of the ship, the planet, the galaxy, and possibly the entire universe, that I got sick of it.

ENT made sense because a lot of people didn't call it Star Trek: Enterprise, they just called it Enterprise, or ENT for short.

VOY made sense for a similar reason, plus STV could be confused with Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, which I've seen abbreviated STV.

Most people didn't call it Discovery (that I know of).  It was always Star Trek: Discovery, so STD made sense.

There's no "rule" about how acronyms and/or abbreviations come about.  They just have to make sense in context, and whichever one catches on, catches on.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4676 on: June 30, 2023, 04:24:33 PM »
Really enjoyed ep 3 of SNW. La'an was ace. Great screen presence.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4677 on: June 30, 2023, 04:29:40 PM »
I’m just really surprised at everyone’s reactions. I get it. “Tastes and all” but I rather enjoyed all 3 seasons of Picard, and I love Lower Decks, and I think that up until now SNW has been the best new ST show since TNG. But that episode just felt contrived, poorly written, ham fisted, derivative, and just flat out laughable.

I’m just confused I guess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4678 on: June 30, 2023, 08:42:07 PM »

Same. Ep. 3 was fun……I like a good time travel premise. Even though it was pretty simple and I guess from now on in every show with time travel there is a ‘Temporal Tribune’ or whatever name they’ll call themselves that keeps the timelines straight?

Anyway…..enjoy SNW a lot…..it really hasn’t missed the mark too much at all. Been entertaining.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4679 on: July 01, 2023, 12:51:08 AM »
I’m just really surprised at everyone’s reactions. I get it. “Tastes and all” but I rather enjoyed all 3 seasons of Picard, and I love Lower Decks, and I think that up until now SNW has been the best new ST show since TNG. But that episode just felt contrived, poorly written, ham fisted, derivative, and just flat out laughable.

I’m just confused I guess.

I didn't think it was the best episode ever but a really good one. The overall tone and pull-you-in thing was there for me. Even with new Kirk (who I'm not a big fan of - he IS remiscent of Carrey :lol) I was sat there being entertained and taken out of myself.

I think a lot of this with SNW is that the casting is really good, the chemistry is there and they're writing to the strengths of the actors. Using La'an's awkwardness and reserve was really effective. The events with Kirk right up to the end of the ep were great and a completely convincing performance. I could watch Christina Chong all day.

Also, I guess I must align with the SNW general taste and approach. Discovery, on the other hand, started good for me and got worse over the seasons, as I felt they missed the mark in terms of what would be entertaining and satisfying for the viewer, so I abandoned it after season 3. Call it taste or just incompetence. Who knows.

Really happy with where SNW is atm.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 09:05:08 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4680 on: July 01, 2023, 09:30:32 AM »

I think a lot of this with SNW is that the casting is really good, the chemistry is there and they're writing to the strengths of the actors.

Nailed it. This has been my main critique of 'Picard'. all along. Throwing the last season out....where it was all cameo's of the original folks.....the casting for the show was horrible. Most of those actors and actresses were B or C level players.....and, there was zero chemistry. Every scene felt like someone was going to jump out and say 'gotcha' and laugh because of how amateur it came across. Discovery wasn't as bad but still suffered from the same thing. No chemistry and most of the cast were second rate talent.

SNW doesn't suffer from that at all. The key is.....I 'believe' that I'm watching those characters. I believe int he performances of those actors and actresses. That is lacking in Discovery and Picard. And there is chemistry between them all in SNW.....none to be found in the other two shows.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4681 on: July 01, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
Ent and Voyager had very little chemistry with it's characters either.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4682 on: July 02, 2023, 03:10:41 PM »
Just watched SNW episode 3.  Kind off agree with most, fun. (Although the car chase was really bad).

As for new Kirk - said it last season lovechild of Carrey and Bruce Campbell. 

It's weird we are 3 episodes in and we have barely seem Pike!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4683 on: July 02, 2023, 04:03:03 PM »
It's weird we are 3 episodes in and we have barely seem Pike!

Yeah....it is weird, especially since Anson Mount has such a commanding presence. I don't know if you saw this from the previous page/converstaion....but ZirconBlue pointed out why that is.....

Anson Mount has to be happy though......hasn't had to really do jack sh%t to earn a paycheck yet through two episodes.  :lol

Anson Mount's wife had a baby shortly before filming, so they wrote around his availability.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #4684 on: July 02, 2023, 04:25:57 PM »
Just watched SNW episode 3.  Kind off agree with most, fun. (Although the car chase was really bad).

It was a dreadful car chase. You get more thrills and spills when I'm picking up last-minute milk at the local Spar.

Online Adami

« Reply #4685 on: July 02, 2023, 05:24:00 PM »
There was a car chase? No memory of that. Clearly not an endorsement.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #4686 on: July 02, 2023, 05:51:37 PM »
Kirk went from the cliché "oops, I put it in Reverse by mistake" to tearing up the streets and drifting in about 30 seconds, which was completely stupid.  I found myself forgiving it and a bunch of other stuff, though, because of the context.  From the JJ movies, Kirk is a speed demon and a natural with any kind of motor vehicle.  From TOS, he always gets the girl, thus the two of them nearly hooking up after knowing each other for like a day.  From later TOS, he goes from svelt to paunchy, thus pigging out on hotdogs and poutine.  I generally like my Trek to be more on the cerebral side, but somehow this episode worked as a switch-off-your-brain-and-enjoy-the-ride kind of thing, which surprised even me.

As for new Kirk - said it last season lovechild of Carrey and Bruce Campbell. 

:lol  I'm not an Evil Dead guy and I can't think of anything I've actually seen Bruce Campbell in, but I've seen stillls, and this is 100% correct.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #4687 on: July 03, 2023, 02:44:26 AM »

It was a dreadful car chase. You get more thrills and spills when I'm picking up last-minute milk at the local Spar.

Didn't help there was no other traffic around, much like where they were walking around there were barely any signs of life.  ;D

There was a car chase? No memory of that. Clearly not an endorsement.

During it we get the middle name conversation - which was actually fine.  It ends with them getting pulled over by the cops and the villainess saves them pretending to be a social media influencer or something.  That whole section is pretty iffy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 05:11:12 AM by soupytwist »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4688 on: July 05, 2023, 05:04:11 AM »

And Orbert is totally right, he's Jim Carrey in some ways. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that's totally it!

Same!

I'll tell ya, Kirk made some good coin hustling at chess for the quality of hotel room they stayed in.  It was kinda neat to judge and see where each scene was at.  Like, from The Eaton Centre down to the waterfront (where they were chess-hustling), is about 3-4 miles.

I can't say I loved it, but I didn't hate it - the general plot was entirely unoriginal, and some of the details were ludicrous.  I quickly got a Yesterday's Enterprise vibe from the premise of the main plot point.  And the closing scene / emotional release was something I bought in to.  Nice little acting performance.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4689 on: July 06, 2023, 10:30:05 PM »
This episode was SOOOO much better.

That would have made a perfect TOS episode. I loved this episode!