Author Topic: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!  (Read 341839 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The DTF Old As Mold Club v. 40 IS The New 30! Kids Stay Out!
« Reply #3150 on: March 16, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
Congratulations to you and Jewel!  No congratulations for your bank account.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3151 on: March 16, 2022, 02:43:08 PM »
I am officially old.

My oldest and her fiance officially set their wedding date.  September 30, 2023.  We booked the venue, and now have to sell our souls to pay for it (a castle, no less, and yes, it will be a medieval/fantasy themed wedding).
Use that to your advantage. Ain't no photographers in Tamriel. No champagne, either. I'd bet you can hire a troubadour for a lot less than a band. Maybe insist that the groom slaughter whatever meat there is for the rehearsal dinner himself. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3152 on: March 16, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »
I am officially old.

My oldest and her fiance officially set their wedding date.  September 30, 2023.  We booked the venue, and now have to sell our souls to pay for it (a castle, no less, and yes, it will be a medieval/fantasy themed wedding).
Use that to your advantage. Ain't no photographers in Tamriel. No champagne, either. I'd bet you can hire a troubadour for a lot less than a band. Maybe insist that the groom slaughter whatever meat there is for the rehearsal dinner himself.

No need to go full medieval though... like, 21st century hygiene would be ok.

Congrats Heffy!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3153 on: March 16, 2022, 04:03:44 PM »
Awesome Hef! A few of the greatest times of my life were the weddings of my children. Enjoy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3154 on: March 16, 2022, 07:08:57 PM »
I am officially old.

A real troubadour would be BOSS.  Wine from goblets, too.  I've got to start working on my daughter, dropping hints.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3155 on: March 16, 2022, 08:02:51 PM »
I am officially old.

A real troubadour would be BOSS.  Wine from goblets, too.  I've got to start working on my daughter, dropping hints.

No cutlery either.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3156 on: March 17, 2022, 08:27:03 AM »
Use that to your advantage. Ain't no photographers in Tamriel. No champagne, either.
I dig it.  Although the groom is definitely into mead, and I will definitely have some good bourbon there.

I'd bet you can hire a troubadour for a lot less than a band.
Possibly.  We are definitely looking into what we can do for appropriate music.

Maybe insist that the groom slaughter whatever meat there is for the rehearsal dinner himself.
He might be into that.  He's pretty hardcore.

No cutlery either.
I mentioned this to my wife and got a dirty fucking look.

LOL
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #3157 on: March 17, 2022, 08:31:48 AM »
FYI I turn 39 next month.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3158 on: March 17, 2022, 08:34:26 AM »
FYI I turn 39 next month.

Still a year away youngster.  LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3159 on: March 17, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »

Maybe insist that the groom slaughter whatever meat there is for the rehearsal dinner himself.
He might be into that.  He's pretty hardcore.

Well shit, I missed meeting this guy.  If he's that hardcore, hopefully there will be some cameras to catch the feast.  "We eat well in Camelot.  Ham, and Jam, and Spam a lot."
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3160 on: March 17, 2022, 12:29:47 PM »
He and my daughter didn't make it in time for the meetup.  They met us at the venue.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3161 on: April 07, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »
Well, my first fogey colonoscopy is in the books today. Couldn't have gone much worse. I had a stunning migraine kick in just as I was about to start my prep yesterday. Was worried I wouldn't get through it as I upchucked a few times during the first 4 glasses of terrible juice. Thankfully, I persevered and finally got to bed at 1am. I lied about finishing the jug of despair as everything was already looking good (well, from the perspective of what I was going through) and, thankfully, I was right. Got a clean bill of health this morning and a pass for 5 years. Still have a massive headache, but getting better.

Apparently, I freaked them out with my snoring while under. I guess they tried to adjust my head or something to try and control it. It was quite the topic after I woke up. Of course, I don't snore.  :lol
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3162 on: April 07, 2022, 01:55:35 PM »
No colonoscopies for this guy.  It just isn't gonna happen.  I'll take my chances.  I mean really, this is the 21st century.  They can't figure out a non-intrusive way to get the same results?  Please... :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3163 on: April 07, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »
You won't feel a thing. Drinking that solution the night before and the non stope bathroom runs (pun intended) is way worse than the actual procedure. 

I woke up, did feel and thing and was hungry.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: April 07, 2022, 02:10:20 PM »
You won't feel a thing. Drinking that solution the night before and the non stope bathroom runs (pun intended) is way worse than the actual procedure. 

I woke up, did feel and thing and was hungry.

The girl told me it would be the best sleep I ever had, and dammit, she was right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3165 on: April 07, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
The prep is the main reason I ain't doing it.  Not to mention having a camera stuck up your ass while you're sleeping.  Do they put you to sleep so you feel less violated?  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3166 on: April 07, 2022, 02:30:51 PM »
The prep is the main reason I ain't doing it.  Not to mention having a camera stuck up your ass while you're sleeping.  Do they put you to sleep so you feel less violated?  :lol

My first time getting one 20+ years ago, I was awake.  Since then, completely knocked out and a total NBD.  The funniest part is that they won't let you leave until you audibly fart (and no, that's not a joke).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: April 07, 2022, 02:31:14 PM »
I was told to count down from 10 to 1.  I made it to 9.  LOL

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3168 on: April 07, 2022, 02:49:38 PM »
Mine was nothing.  I'd feared the solution I had to drink, but it wasn't too bad.  I've drank stuff far worse at collage parties.  The "non-stop" trips to the bathroom were like four or five sessions over the first hour, then they tapered off sharply.  And the discomfort normally associated with diarrhea was non-existent.  Felt kinda weird dumping all that fluid out the secondary excretory portal, but it was totally painless.

The procedure itself was under general anestetic.  I was supposed to count down from 100, and got to 98.  Moments later (from my point of view), I'm sitting there with my wife in a recovery room, and just as she was about to call for someone, the tech came in and said "Ah, you're awake."  Half an hour later, she drove me home, and I'm good for the next five years.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3169 on: April 07, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
I'm 46 and have not done a colonoscopy, prostate exam etc etc of the crap that I know I'm suppose to have already done. I need to get on it and be responsible but in my mind I'm still only 25 so I have time
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3170 on: April 07, 2022, 02:58:05 PM »
The first time I had one done, I was told how nasty the nasty juice is, so I came up with a brilliant plan.  I bought a 64 ounce bottle of Gatorade and drank however, many ounces the nasty juice was (something innocuous like 8 ounces).  I then poured the nasty juice into the Gatorade thinking that that much Gatorade would make the nasty juice not nasty.

Yeah...I then proceeded to spend the next two hours drinking a HALF FUCKING GALLON of nasty juice flavored Gatorade.   :|
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3171 on: April 07, 2022, 03:13:45 PM »
I'm sure there are different versions of the "nasty juice" used by different doctors, etc., but I swear, mine was almost pleasant.  Lemon flavored, it was basically like lemonade with a little too much sugar (which is still way better than not enough), and had some viscosity to it that was weird, but what the hell.  There are far worse things that drinking too-sweet lemonade.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3172 on: April 07, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »
Yeah...that first time, I have a vague recollection of being told to go buy the nasty juice myself at a grocery store or pharmacy.  I could be wrong about that, and I never actually tried to drink it straight.  The times since then that I've had this done, I don't have any particular recollection of it being nasty.

One thing I do recall is being asked if I wanted to see pictures, and I was like, "fuck no!"

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #3173 on: April 07, 2022, 04:40:01 PM »
I didn't even get the countdown. They wheeled me in and got me all hooked up and the doctor came over and asked how I was and said we're ready. They had me roll over and the next thing I know I wake up in recovery.

The nasty drink wasn't actually as bad as expected. It was lemon flavored and thick like Orbert said. My thought it was like drinking snot. My migraine is what made it way worse than it needed to be. I literally can't tell I was probed at all. That's how the aliens get you.

Due to my lack of a gallbladder I am way more regular than I ever have been which I expected would make the prep that much easier and I was right. Again, had it not been for the migraine it would have been a cakewalk. I emptied 4 loads before I even started the prep so there wasn't much left to clear out. I probably threw up 24 or so ounces of the prep and left about at least that much in the bottle when I threw in the towel. All thanks to the internet telling me what the stuff should look like once I am cleansed.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3174 on: April 08, 2022, 04:40:32 AM »
My prep experience was almost exactly like Bob's.  I had a huge breakfast, along with  some consomme soup broth and jello throughout the day.  I was rather surprised that I didn't have any hunger issues.  Bathroom trips weren't too bad.  And like Paul, I got to 98 an was then out, awake in recovery.

Lots of 'expulsion' at that time though.  With all the other people there in the recovery area, it was like a chorus of  timpanis.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3175 on: April 08, 2022, 07:07:46 AM »

Look, it's not like sitting down at a fine whiskey bar and sampling their 20-year Scotch, but let's not over-exaggerate things.  You drink something that isn't THAT pleasant - we've all done it - and you get a couple bouts of what is essentially diarrhea - we've all had it.  I think some of the real downside is slightly over-blown. There's plenty of things in life I don't WANT to do but I do them anyway, and this is one of them. I don't think I'd ever skip one because of the prep, having been through it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3176 on: April 08, 2022, 08:18:53 AM »

Look, it's not like sitting down at a fine whiskey bar and sampling their 20-year Scotch, but let's not over-exaggerate things.  You drink something that isn't THAT pleasant - we've all done it - and you get a couple bouts of what is essentially diarrhea - we've all had it.  I think some of the real downside is slightly over-blown. There's plenty of things in life I don't WANT to do but I do them anyway, and this is one of them. I don't think I'd ever skip one because of the prep, having been through it.

Yeah... I'll take the uncomfortableness of this 24-hour period once every 5 years over the potential risk of colon cancer, and everything that comes with that.

:dunno:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3177 on: April 08, 2022, 08:30:19 AM »
That's basically what it comes down to for me, too.  A day of moderate hassle (which really wasn't that bad) versus potentially getting colon cancer?  No-brainer.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3178 on: April 08, 2022, 01:28:57 PM »
Yeah... it's not that bad.  I had one at 35 because I was showing symptoms and wanted to be certain (thank The Lord it was clean... get it?).  Gatorage, Metamucil, low residue diet for 72-hours, one day of running to the can, and mind clear.  Worth it I think...
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3179 on: April 11, 2022, 08:07:46 AM »
Stayed up til 2am Friday night smoking cigars and playing Spades.  Been paying for it ever since.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: April 11, 2022, 09:11:11 AM »
Fellas I am at a crossroads of sorts. Gonna word vomit for a bit so forgive me if this ends up long.

In 2008 when I was at my heaviest (217lbs....I'm 5'-6" so that'll give you some perspective) I hammered down and started my fitness journey. Started running, exercising etc etc and yadda yadda yadda....my lowest weight I recored was 152. But, it was an unhealthy 152 so with some tweaks and responsible health choices I spent the better part of a decade fluctuating weight wise from the low 160's to the low 170's. Was running 5 miles a day 4 or 5 days a week.....I've participated in literally countless half marathons....have run two fulls, two tough mudders....just made sure to keep signing up for events to stay active and didn't really think twice about it.

Not to make this a blame covid deal....but ever since I caught covid in December of 2020 my motivation to exercise has vanished. I managed to run two half marathons in 2021 but my weekly exercise has only consisted of ice hockey on Sunday nights for three hours. I've sprinkled in some runs here and there but nothing regimented like I had done for 10+ years. No consistency. Plus, I've tacked on 15-20lbs since then and historically, when I added a few pounds I was able to just make the decision to lose it mentally and did what it took to do so. Just haven't been able to do it yet.

I've seemingly lost the motivation or ability to 'flip the switch' and just drop these 15-20lbs which is incredibly frustrating given I've always been able to before. I cold turkeyed tobacco 20 years ago....am coming up on 14  years sober and have always had the will and resolve to just get done what needed to be done. But I'm having a tough time getting going on this. I've attempted to 'get started' on the turn around multiple times now with my motivation falling away in no time. I don't know if it's a case of I hit it hard for so long that now my ambition is whittled away or what but somethings missing.

Add to that my sleeping habits are leaving me perpetually tired and I'm just in a major funk. I feel like I 'know' what the answers are.....eat better and smarter.....F'n go to sleep at night rather than screen time myself to death......quit whining and start making the right choices....but man, it is so much easier said right now than done. On top of it all throw in the responsibilities of what our kids have going on in their lives and just the everyday 'life' crap and that I'm indeed really 46 and not 30 like my mind believes.....and I'm staring at a candle burning at both ends scenario that has been burning for a while now.

Not even sure what I'm asking or even asking anything at all....just felt like venting and throwing it all out there to see if it made me feel any better....I have to make some changes and I know it....I just can't seem to get going on it though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3181 on: April 11, 2022, 09:18:14 AM »
Read that quickly on my phone and I’ll read it again at home later, but I wanted to ask… how is your son doing?
I can’t help but think that his situation  be playing into it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: April 11, 2022, 09:25:51 AM »
Read that quickly on my phone and I’ll read it again at home later, but I wanted to ask… how is your son doing?
I can’t help but think that his situation  be playing into it.

For the past couple weeks it's been really good. Great conversations and he's been interacting and carrying on like his 'old self'. But as I've learned through this with him.....just when I believe we've turned a corner or that it's all behind us something happens or there's set back so I'm cautious to get comfortable if that makes sense.

But, I'm sure with what we're going through with him has played some sort of part in wearing down my mental game.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3183 on: April 11, 2022, 09:46:19 AM »
I've continually been what the experts call "over weight".  I had the discipline, but not the inclination, to get down below (my lowest since high school was about 200 and I'm 5'8").  But I would do physical labor around the house to keep in shape and I usually was in better shape than I looked.   

In the last couple years I've felt the same sort of feelings you have in terms of having "life crap".  I've just got a lot of things going on. The typical childhood problems - how to get your kid to baseball, teaching your kid he can't call other kids "dickheads" in class - pale in comparison to the life problems they have when they get older.  You have your issues, well documented, and I have, if not the same then ballpark similar ones.   And for me, it's draining mentally, and saps that energy that I would use to go out and split wood or some other activity that I consider "my exercise".

This past weekend I did something I have never done EVER in my life:  Every house I've owned (four or five now) I go in and paint, most if not all of the rooms.  If the house is over 10 years old, I change out all the outlets and switches.  A cheap way of making the house look "clean" and "new".  ALWAYS it was "I'm able, I know how to paint (I do) and I can do this myself".  Well, I paid a guy to paint my bathroom this weekend, and I will likely be paying him to paint my hallway and staircase.   It's a big deal to me, though it may not be to others, but I kind of think it's in the same ballpark as your "inertia" about losing weight.  Don't beat yourself up; we have capacities, and outside of an emergency or a life or death situation, those capacities are finite.   I'm not suggesting you let your health go, but you do have to decide where your capacity is best served.  My wife finally convinced me that taking care of my parents and my kids is more important than painting a bathroom, and I agree.

Something to consider.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3184 on: April 11, 2022, 09:54:11 AM »
I can summarize Bill's post (which was great) in one word ....

Priorities.

Set them
Understand them
Accept them*
Follow them
Don't beat yourself up over them

Gary... I know exactly where you're coming from.  Been there many times, as recently as Jan/Feb this year.  So many thoughts, not enough time to type them right now.

*Which includes accepting the outcomes of them.