Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 485581 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2695 on: July 23, 2015, 07:32:41 AM »
Engineers have to buy into the artistic vision when figuring out how to capture sounds, especially when the actual producer isn't at the board with them the whole time to guide them. I'm sure JP provides guidance, but since he is a band member as well, he has many other hats to wear, so he can't be guiding that vision every second.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure the work distribution between JP and Chycki.I know the traditional roles of the engineer and the producer, but clearly those lines were blurred if Chycki had that big of an effect on the sound of DT12, that's usually the role of the producer. All I'm suggesting is that it might be healthy to try someone new, I'm not sure why that's being met with criticism.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2696 on: July 23, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
ADToE and DT12 are not the best sounding albums but they are far from unlistenable.  All I really care about is if the music connects with me. I could care less about who mixes it at this point. It sounds like the band has heard the complaints from fans and are working on improving the sound of the next album. Just because Chycki tried something and it didn't work doesn't mean that they should fire him as long as he learns from his mistakes. It seems like the band has a good working relationship with him so I don't care if they keep using him.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2697 on: July 23, 2015, 08:05:09 AM »
If you read interviews, a lot of the band members, especially JP and JM, actually liked the sound. In an interview, Rich said "Getting the sound is a collaborative effort. The main thing going in is, when speaking to John, we shared a similar vision. John has a very specific guitar sound in mind. I was up for the challenge of working with him on sounds. There were some days when we were working on guitar sounds until 2 or 3 in the morning. He kept saying it was like chocolate cake with all these layers."

This was sort of confirmed by JP:

"UG: For the "A Dramatic Turn of Events" album you talked about wanting to do something on a grand scale that was musically interested. Did you continue with that approach on the Dream Theater album? 

JP: I think it's building on it but taking it to the next level. One of the things I really wanted to do on "A Dramatic Turn of Events" was to create something that was sonically very rich and high-def and powerful and I think we accomplished that. But on this album [n]I wanted to take that even further.[/b] 

In what ways? 

Get more cinematic with it and more earthy and aggressive and bigger. I wanted a bigger, more forward in-your-face kind of sound. I think that kind of dictated the sounds we went for while we were writing and recording and then ultimately how it was mixed. So yeah, it was kind of building on that but taking it to the next level. You always need to progress and to try and do something different and kind of have a little bit different take on it and a different perspective. But hopefully make it better as you go. 

You talked about how you wanted the album to sound in the mix and for this album you brought in Richard Chycki. What did he bring to the final sound of the album?   

From the beginning and the way we set up and started writing and recording this, the concept was to have all of the sounds that would ultimately be contributing to the mix. To have them filed in from day one so while we were writing and building the album we could really hear what it was gonna sound like and how it was shaping up realistically.

That's a very interesting approach. 

Yeah, so when the songs were in their early stages, they already sounded like kinda what you hear today. So it was like Rich is so intimately a part of what's going on here from day one and it already sounds the way we want it, so it made sense to move forward with him doing that. 'Cause he was kind of already there.

You actually played the songs with the same guitars, amps and effects that you'd be using on the final recording?

Yeah, and not only the guitars but the whole band. Everybody's instrument was miked and captured while we were writing with the idea that if there were any performances that were great at that point that we'd be able to use them."

John Myung also said this:

"It was a real special record in the fact that it was just this really cool vibe, this real cool energy that was driving the record. I think maybe part of the reason was we started working with Rich Chycki, who’s engineered and worked with Rush a lot. So we brought him in for this record and he was an amazing person to work with. His knowledge of sounds and the things that he did to help improve my bass sound also played into it because a lot of what I played was because of how I was interpreting the sound. The sound has a big influence on how you play, the responsiveness of it and the energy you get from your sound. So it was sort of everything connecting and working out and, for me, it was how to get the sound that I always wanted. I was able to get that with Rich on this record."

If anything, I think JLB's comment is just a sign that they are still learning, and are open to feedback, so even if it is a sound that they liked, their minds can change based on what people who listened to their music said.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2698 on: July 23, 2015, 08:09:45 AM »
I don't put any stock in comments bands make around the time an album is released. It's only with time you can gain perspective and objectivity.
I really hope they do hear the problems with DT12's production, and make changes accordingly. If you had production smack bang inbetween ADTOE and DT12, I think you'd actually end up with something quite good! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #2699 on: July 23, 2015, 08:12:04 AM »
JM's tone on DT12 was great imo. By far by favorite album as far as bass tone and sound.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2700 on: July 23, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »
I don't put any stock in comments bands make around the time an album is released. It's only with time you can gain perspective and objectivity.
I really hope they do hear the problems with DT12's production, and make changes accordingly. If you had production smack bang inbetween ADTOE and DT12, I think you'd actually end up with something quite good! :biggrin:

Like the Happy Holidays release.

The point of my quoting JP and JM is that the sound in DT12 is pretty much what JP and JM wanted, and Rich Chycki getting what they wanted to sound like. So it's not really Chycki who is ultimately the one to "blame" for how DT12 sounded.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2701 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:59 AM »

Like the Happy Holidays release.

The point of my quoting JP and JM is that the sound in DT12 is pretty much what JP and JM wanted, and Rich Chycki getting what they wanted to sound like. So it's not really Chycki who is ultimately the one to "blame" for how DT12 sounded.

In that case I can blame all of them? :P

Perhaps more like BTFW actually. That is easily the best sounding release with MM imo. His drums sounded really good on that (and I believe that's still the same snare as DT12). Obviously being a live release, it's not quite what I'd want for a studio album, but it does show Chycki can do the job.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2702 on: July 23, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
"Sonically very rich high-def and powerful"

I love those fellas to death but to my ears and through my system ADToE is the polar opposite of that.

Oh well...dead horse so to speak. Time to move on and look forward to the new one which will hopefully get them back on track!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2703 on: July 23, 2015, 08:36:18 AM »
Yeah, we can blame all of them. But I think JP more than others, because in pretty much all interviews with him about the release, he's saying that he is the one who has this vision of them having this more in-your-face sound and them getting the sounds as they hear it while writing the music.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2704 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:09 AM »
If they could get the drums to sound like BTFW and the bass to sound like DT12 and just cut the damn guitar down and keys up, that would be OK with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2705 on: July 23, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »
If they could get the drums to sound like BTFW and the bass to sound like DT12 and just cut the damn guitar down and keys up, that would be OK with me.

Agreed!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »

All of that, and not too much mastering compression sounds pretty damn good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2707 on: July 23, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
I think Chycki got the right mix of keys and guitar in the Happy Holidays record.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2708 on: July 23, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

All of that, and not too much mastering compression sounds pretty damn good.
:tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2709 on: July 23, 2015, 08:57:43 AM »
I can't think of a Chycki record even outside DT that is not compressed during the mastering.

Chycki has shown that he can capture a good Mangini drum sound in studio. Elements of Persuasion.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2710 on: July 23, 2015, 09:00:30 AM »
I think Chycki got the right mix of keys and guitar in the Happy Holidays record.

For sure, that's one thing that jumped out to me on my first listen of the Happy Holidays record. JR was mixed much more upfront with the guitars, and it was great!

Offline metrojam

« Reply #2711 on: July 23, 2015, 09:05:53 AM »
The "Happy Holidays" freebie was a MUCH better sounding release than the dreadfully poor LALP "Official" release!.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2712 on: July 23, 2015, 09:09:31 AM »
Yeah, we can blame all of them. But I think JP more than others, because in pretty much all interviews with him about the release, he's saying that he is the one who has this vision of them having this more in-your-face sound and them getting the sounds as they hear it while writing the music.
Well yeah, the general approach was in your face and in the HDtracks version it's still loud and up-front, but at least it's not compressed to shit. I think the former is what the band were going for, and that's what they would have heard in the studio. It seems to have been at the mastering stage that things went wrong.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2713 on: July 23, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
Well yeah, the general approach was in your face and in the HDtracks version it's still loud and up-front, but at least it's not compressed to shit. I think the former is what the band were going for, and that's what they would have heard in the studio. It seems to have been at the mastering stage that things went wrong.

I think rumbo has shown before that the compression is the same for both, it's just that HD Tracks was at a lower volume so there is not much clipping, which appears to have affected some of the sounds in the CD.

Also, even in the HD Tracks version, JP's guitars is really loud compared to JR's keys. I think they overcompensated with BtFW in this aspect, as JP is the one that got lost in that record.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2714 on: July 23, 2015, 02:08:10 PM »
-James LaBrie will record vocals right afeter the summer tour ends, in Richard Chycki's studio in Canada.
-Richard Chycki is the sound engineer once again...
-...but they are very aware of the negative feedback about the sound in the last two albums. James says the sound in DT12 was a Richard Chycki thing, and they all agreed then, but now they're not interested in that direction anymore. Expect no more sound issues.
:tup

ADTOE was James' best performance on a DT album in many years and he sounds relaxed on that album, so I'm happy he's recording in Canada again. I'll judge the sound of the album when it comes out, but it's great that the band acknowledged the criticism regarding the production.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2715 on: July 23, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »

Agreed!
Absolutely this. That would be fucking awesome!

JP, if you're reading, please do this!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2716 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:21 AM »
Holy shit Blob, 30k+ posts!?
How the hell do you do that?
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2717 on: July 27, 2015, 05:54:08 AM »

By not having a life? :lol I hadn't even noticed.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: July 27, 2015, 06:20:05 AM »
And he'll keep posting beyond this life.

:neverusethis:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2719 on: July 27, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »

By not having a life? :lol I hadn't even noticed.

30,000 post of procrastinating.  It's impressive and telling.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: July 27, 2015, 09:04:31 AM »
How many do I have ?

EDIT : 14,000 - i'm half a Blob :neverusethis:

EDIT EDIT : blob and I both joined in 2007 !

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2721 on: July 27, 2015, 02:22:43 PM »
It's easy.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2722 on: July 27, 2015, 02:41:02 PM »
Excuse me, where was everyone when I reached a hundred posts?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2723 on: July 27, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
In the 20k+ lounge, partying it up.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:16 PM »
It's easy.

One screen DTF, the other, Japanese porn. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2725 on: July 27, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
Not me, Japanese ANYTHING is generally too fucked up for me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: July 27, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
No, talking Blob.  It's exactly up his alley.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #2727 on: July 31, 2015, 11:46:55 PM »
Is it save to say if we don't have a DT13 announcement by end of the month, then a release this year is unlikely?  A fall release is probably out, they usually announce albums months in advance.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline gm5k

« Reply #2728 on: August 01, 2015, 12:17:43 AM »
Is it save to say if we don't have a DT13 announcement by end of the month, then a release this year is unlikely?  A fall release is probably out, they usually announce albums months in advance.

Pretty sure the band has already said the album will be coming out in early 2016.

Edit: James mentioned it here https://youtu.be/ER9Y57sjC3o?t=2867
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:24:46 AM by gm5k »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2729 on: August 01, 2015, 04:10:21 AM »
Yeah it's all been cleared up in the interview yesterday, but I think it has been mentioned several times before.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.