Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 485652 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2660 on: July 22, 2015, 07:09:49 AM »

-James LaBrie would like to play The Ministry of Lost Souls
Meh.

Disappear
Yay!

and Take the Time
OK
FFTY

2nded, Scotty.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2661 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:43 AM »
I would be absolutely thrilled to hear The Ministry of lost souls live, it's such a touching epic song and also features my favorite John Petrucci guitar solo at the end.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2662 on: July 22, 2015, 08:24:04 AM »
Replace The Ministry of Lost Souls with Sacrificed Sons and Take the Time with Home and I'd be a happy camper!

As far as the concept album goes, it would be cool to see them write one cohesive piece of music again. Lat January/Early February is a long way off, but hopefully that means a US tour in the Spring!

Oh, and I may in the minority here but I was hoping that they would do away with the Evening With Format. I may be getting old but 3 hours is a freaking long time to stand now adays. I would have a preferred a 2 hour DT Set with a high quality hour opener (Maybe Symphony X or Haken).

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2663 on: July 22, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
Oh, and I may in the minority here but I was hoping that they would do away with the Evening With Format. I may be getting old but 3 hours is a freaking long time to stand now adays. I would have a preferred a 2 hour DT Set with a high quality hour opener (Maybe Symphony X or Haken).

Who stands for the entire 3 hours
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2664 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:08 AM »

Who stands for the entire 3 hours

I have in GA floor concerts.  Not all venues are fully seated.  But I have no problem with standing because im most likely rocking out and enjoying it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2665 on: July 22, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »

Even when I was still hugely into DT, I always thought the 3-hour sets were just too long. I totally agree that a 2-hour set with a strong opener is better.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2666 on: July 22, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
-They won't do a special show this year ala Score to celebrate 30 years of the band. Maybe in 2016. (Interesting)
-John Petrucci came up with the entire setlist for this summer tour. (So, HE'S to blame!)
-James LaBrie would like to play The Ministry of Lost Souls :tdwn, Disappear  :tdwn and Take the Time  :tup in the next tour.
-The Evening With shows will stay for the next tour.  :metal
-The release date for DT13 is late January/early February. (Interesting)
-James LaBrie will record vocals right after the summer tour ends, in Richard Chycki's studio in Canada.  :tdwn
-Richard Chycki is the sound engineer once again...
-...but they are very aware of the negative feedback about the sound in the last two albums. James says the sound in DT12 was a Richard Chycki thing, and they all agreed then, but now they're not interested in that direction anymore. Expect no more sound issues.  :\
-James LaBrie hints at a concept album, but he can't confirm nor deny that fact. (Interesting)
-We'll have news on the album this fall, including some audio snippets. They're dying to finally reveal it!  :\

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2667 on: July 22, 2015, 10:05:46 AM »
Lots of cool/interesting news coming from James there.

LOVE the Evening With shows. Probably the best news from that article. The more DT can play in one night, the better. I've only been able to see them twice in the last four years, so I'll take as much as I can get in a night. I would also love to hear Disappear live, one of the few post-FII songs I have yet to hear. The rest is fine. I will wait for the album to be out to make any assumptions on sound (which I hardly ever have any issues with).
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2668 on: July 22, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
Then I definitely think Disappear makes the set.
Number 1, 6 D's has basically been ignored save for TGD on the early '11 shows, and 2, I think JP is cognizant of what's been rarely played.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2669 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »
Even when I was still hugely into DT, I always thought the 3-hour sets were just too long. I totally agree that a 2-hour set with a strong opener is better.
So just get to the venue late or leave early. Problem solved!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2670 on: July 22, 2015, 10:50:32 AM »
:lol

Seriously though, I think opening bands, when well-chosen, can add more to the concert than just another hour of the main band. One of my favorite DT concerts was when they had Spock's Beard open up for them.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2671 on: July 22, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »
Random thought from the comments James made in that interview... Does anybody else think its weird they acknowledged the negative reaction to the sound of the last album and then brought back the same guy to engineer the new album?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: July 22, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
Random thought from the comments James made in that interview... Does anybody else think its weird they acknowledged the negative reaction to the sound of the last album and then brought back the same guy to engineer the new album?

Not really, there is probably a good working relationship between Chycki and the band since there is some history there.  They probably talked it over and expressed they want something new which I assume he was cool with, otherwise they wouldn't work together again.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2673 on: July 22, 2015, 11:19:11 AM »
Also, there is a difference between saying "we are aware that people are saying this" and "yes, we acknowledge this was a problem".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2674 on: July 22, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
Also, there is a difference between saying "we are aware that people are saying this" and "yes, we acknowledge this was a problem".

We also don't know what specifically they have heard about and are changing. Is it the snare/drum sound? The guitar volume? The mastering issues? All of the above? Something else?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: July 22, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
Oops !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: July 22, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »

Meh.

Disappear
Yay!

and Take the Time
OK
FFTY

Fixed Fixed That You !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: July 22, 2015, 01:05:52 PM »

Ehhh. A good producer can get the sounds the band are after. Just because they went with the sound of DT12 - doesn't mean he can't make an album sound any other way.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2678 on: July 22, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »

Ehhh. A good producer can get the sounds the band are after. Just because they went with the sound of DT12 - doesn't mean he can't make an album sound any other way.
Indeed. It could very well be that this was the sound they were going for, and I don't blame them, many people (including me) actually like the sound, but I guess they would be doing the right thing if they would adjust to the opinions of their fanbase.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2679 on: July 22, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
Saying Richard Chycki only knows how to make albums that sounds like DT12 is like saying Bob Rock can only make albums like St. Anger.

Both albums exist because the band were on board with them.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2680 on: July 22, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
I think Chycki has had far more wrongs than rights during his time as DT's main audio engineer. Live at Luna Park was underwhelming sonically, DT12 was a step down from ADTOE's mix and BTFW was good but could've been better (Score sounds way, way better).

It's funny how a band like Haken, which obviously doesn't have as much resources to record and produce an album as Dream Theater, could come up with an album like 'The Mountain' which is pure sonic (and musical) bliss; wheras DT comes up with DT12 which isn't pure sonic bliss at all (both 2013 albums).

If the new DT studio album can't live to the expectation, better fire the guy.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2681 on: July 22, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
While I agree on most of the points you've made, BTFW really is up there with things like Score and Budokan, great production overall.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2682 on: July 22, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
It's not just DT. The bigger the band, the worse the albums sound (Avenged Sevenfold's last album being the only exception I can think of).
I guess with too much budget, productions start to suffer from George-Lucas-Syndrome.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2683 on: July 22, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »
While I agree on most of the points you've made, BTFW really is up there with things like Score and Budokan, great production overall.

I enjoy BTFW a lot, really. I think it's a great live album and fantastic testimony of what a great tour that was, but I wouldn't put it up there with Budokan and Score. The crystal clear sound quality of Score suits a band like DT in a better way, because you can hear all of the musical arrangements with more detail. JP's guitars are muddy in general and the mix has too much reverb on it to my liking. Budokan's visual quality is, IMO, unmatched by DT's other DVDs. Maybe that's because of the lesser FPS that give the concert a film-like quality? I don't know, but every time I think about DT the image of Budokan pops into my head. Maybe because that's the time when I became a fan and I was crazy about them back then, but who knows.

I'd rate BFTW with a solid 8, and both Budokan and Score with 9 and 10 respectively.

lolchaosinmotion
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2684 on: July 22, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »
:lol

Seriously though, I think opening bands, when well-chosen, can add more to the concert than just another hour of the main band. One of my favorite DT concerts was when they had Spock's Beard open up for them.
That can be the case depending on the opening act *and* each individual. So at best, I'd say it's a 50-50 proposition. For the vast majority of the opening acts that I've seen with DT, I'd happily give them up for another hour or so of music. Doing an Evening With show is more likely to satisfy the audience because there's more time to play more songs. And not having any extra bands on the bill, you won't have to worry about disappointing the fans with some band that the majority of the audience don't enjoy. Plus it's better for the band because they don't have to worry about splitting the revenue with any other bands or crew. So Evening With shows are win-win in my eyes.

FFTY
Fixed Fixed That You !
No silly - that's Fixed For That You!!!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2685 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:05 PM »
Yeah, better to disappoint fans by wasting one of your two sets during an "Evening with..." show by covering someone else's entire album.

Oh yes, I went there. :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2686 on: July 22, 2015, 05:25:20 PM »
Ooh yes.

Disappear
YES.

and Take the Time
YYYYYEEEEEEESSSSS

one day I'll see these guys on tour and if these songs are in the next tour it might be a good opportunity for me to go see them  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2687 on: July 22, 2015, 05:38:33 PM »
No need to mention the actual handles, but do they have accounts? I do not recall ever having seen a post aside from Rena.
EDIT: Except of course "Mr. Picasso" :lol

The band members, or the others I mentioned?  I am not aware of the band members actually having accounts.  I created some for the live chat, but we ended up going with a different format where they weren't needed, so those have never been used.  I am guessing the band members do not, but it is possible.

As for the others who have a direct line to the band, yes, some do have accounts here.  I mean, Wey is an obvious example.  But there are others as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2688 on: July 22, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
Where's Major Thirteen?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2689 on: July 22, 2015, 08:43:57 PM »
Yeah, better to disappoint fans by wasting one of your two sets during an "Evening with..." show by covering someone else's entire album.

Oh yes, I went there. :biggrin:
I'll bite!

Damn straight! After they did a 3 hour show of all their own material the night before, and did a 1.5 hour set of their own material before covering said album, nevermind a 20 minute (or so) encore following? Yup, I'll take that over any opening act they've ever had.   :-*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2690 on: July 22, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
 :biggrin: :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2691 on: July 23, 2015, 02:08:31 AM »

Not weird at all. In terms of technical skill, he's obviously a very competent engineer. In terms of artistic and production choices, it sounds he was making suggestions that the band went along with and now realise the fanbase have reacted badly too. So keeping those same technical skills but making your own decisions about sonic approach is a perfectly sensible way to improve.

EDIT: On Darklol's point about Haken, that's true, and is basically why every metal band should just use Jens Bogren.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2692 on: July 23, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
I know the Progressive Nation tours did not technically have an "opener" in the traditional sense, but if it wasn't for those shows I'd never have been exposed to Three, Between the Buried and Me, Zappa Plays Zappa (Frank Zappa in general), and Big Elf. Also, I'd never have checked out Redemption who kick all kinds of ass. A Dream Theater show with Haken or Spock's Beard would be a dream show for me.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2693 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »

Not weird at all. In terms of technical skill, he's obviously a very competent engineer. In terms of artistic and production choices, it sounds he was making suggestions that the band went along with and now realise the fanbase have reacted badly too. So keeping those same technical skills but making your own decisions about sonic approach is a perfectly sensible way to improve.

Yea but... Totally this...

I think Chycki has had far more wrongs than rights during his time as DT's main audio engineer. Live at Luna Park was underwhelming sonically, DT12 was a step down from ADTOE's mix and BTFW was good but could've been better (Score sounds way, way better).

At what point do you try something different? If you are basing the reason for keeping him off of his technical capabilities, I'm sure there are literally hundreds of other viable engineers that DT could choose with comparable capabilities. To me, the engineer plays a pretty large part in the process for DT, it seems like larger than most bands (usual you bands announce producers not engineers) so I'd look for something more than technical knowledge, I'd look for someone who aligns with their artistic vision as well, and it sounds like that might be a different vision sonically for this record.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2694 on: July 23, 2015, 07:23:59 AM »
What you are talking about is a producer, and JP is filling that role.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.