Author Topic: Counting Metropolis pt.1  (Read 1679 times)

Offline JLa

Counting Metropolis pt.1
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:44:33 AM »
I just listened to Metropolis pt. 1 again, and as usual I was left thinking ??? between 7:23 - 8:02. I have been a DT fan for ten years and as an ex-musician through fifteen years I'm used to counting 4/4, 6/8, 7/8 and whatever.

But I just can't keep up during that particular part.

It amazes me that it is possible to write something like that. I'm pretty sure it is not as difficult as it sounds. I know all the notes and beats by heart, but it is freakin' impossible to count along.

Pointless post, I know. And, just for the record, I love the song to death. It's just a bit...frustrating. In a good way.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

Re: Counting Metropolis pt.1
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:47:15 AM »
I just listened to Metropolis pt. 1 again, and as usual I was left thinking ??? between 7:23 - 8:02. I have been a DT fan for ten years and as an ex-musician through fifteen years I'm used to counting 4/4, 6/8, 7/8 and whatever.

It amazes me that it is possible to write something like that. I'm pretty sure it is not as difficult as it sounds. I know all the notes and beats by heart, but it is freakin' impossible to count along.

Pointless post, I know. And, just for the record, I love the song to death. It's just a bit...frustrating. In a good way.  :lol

Ahhh, the 5's and 7's part! I have that as a ring-tone on my phone! It's a great tone to set for an alarm and wake up to! :tup

Just listen to MP's drums, particularly his hi-hat/ride hits, they form the basis of the 5/8 and 7/8 measures, accenting beats 1 and 3 (and 5 in the 7/8 measures).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »
Not a musician by any means, but I always considered that the "money shot" part of the song.(I just listend to it to know what part you were talking about, and now have to change my shorts)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Not a pointless post.  That part of the song is one of the main reasons why we love DT so much.   :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:52 PM »
(5+7)/8

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 05:33:58 PM »
Yeah great part, also I know this isn't your first post but welcome to the forums. You will surely hate it here.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:27:08 PM »

Ahhh, the 5's and 7's part! I have that as a ring-tone on my phone! It's a great tone to set for an alarm and wake up to! :tup

Just listen to MP's drums, particularly his hi-hat/ride hits, they form the basis of the 5/8 and 7/8 measures, accenting beats 1 and 3 (and 5 in the 7/8 measures).

-Marc.

Aha, this is why I love DT and this forum!