Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488997 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5845 on: January 08, 2020, 10:53:27 AM »
I really want to play those Soulsborne games but they're so unbearably, unenjoyably difficult and tedious for me. Which sucks because Bloodborne and Sekiro look incredible. :(

The thing I dislike about them the most is having to fucking run back to the boss after dying. That gets boring real fast to the point where I start to look up tactics on how to beat the boss. I have very little patience for it.

And what's up with not being able to pause the game when you're offline?

That's just one of the many big complaints I have with that kind of game. The fundamental design of the games is infuriating and disrespectful to the player's time imo. Like, okay, really tough bosses that require study and patience and excellent timing to beat, that's not my thing but I get it. But at least make the run back as painless as possible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5846 on: January 08, 2020, 11:09:48 AM »
I really want to play those Soulsborne games but they're so unbearably, unenjoyably difficult and tedious for me. Which sucks because Bloodborne and Sekiro look incredible. :(

The thing I dislike about them the most is having to fucking run back to the boss after dying. That gets boring real fast to the point where I start to look up tactics on how to beat the boss. I have very little patience for it.

And what's up with not being able to pause the game when you're offline?

That's just one of the many big complaints I have with that kind of game. The fundamental design of the games is infuriating and disrespectful to the player's time imo. Like, okay, really tough bosses that require study and patience and excellent timing to beat, that's not my thing but I get it. But at least make the run back as painless as possible.

I've never really heard a statement like this before, but it explains why I hate so much stuff in media and on the internet.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5847 on: January 09, 2020, 06:09:54 AM »
I'd recommend starting with Sekiro since it's approach to combat is far more focused and narrow compared to the other soulsbourne games (and to a lesser extent Bloodbourne is also much more focused than the DS series). In Sekiro the combat system is very explicit: learn to parry well, or die. Once you do the game becomes very simple. Difficult as all hell, but its about mastering the simple steps of parry, dodge, counter and for that reason I got into it a HELL of a lot quicker than the other games, which involved much more pain to get over the initial hurdle of difficulty and confusion as to what the hell I was meant to be doing.

I really get the sentiment that it doesn't respect the players time: but when it comes to the souls games, I never felt it was unnecessarily unfair. It surprised you and uses cheap deaths to instill a sense of dread, but once you get into the swing of things, you generally only die when YOU have made a mistake or did something stupid or reckless, so while I would scream in frustration sometimes, it was never directed at the game. I appreciate that these games do require a certain mindset and need a fair bit of effort to overcome the initial pain, and for that reason I can see why they are not for everyone. I never really felt it was wasting my time in the same way games that involve endless fetch quests or whatever though, since even when I was getting my arse handed to me, I still felt like I was improving.

Hbomberguy did a decent video analysis of the soulsbourne games and he made a pretty compelling argument that Bloodbourne is a much better start point than the DS series since it is much better at teaching how to play in a way that is fun, whereas the DS series lead you down a path of defensive, boring play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:17:37 AM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5848 on: January 10, 2020, 06:58:36 PM »

As annoyed as I was with some aspects of Fallen Order I was very pleased they decided not to go Full Soulstard by implementing this "hardcore" feature. Another nice thing is you keep skill points even though you lose XP after dying. I think you can even reclaim XP if you die more than once.

I'd recommend starting with Sekiro since it's approach to combat is far more focused and narrow compared to the other soulsbourne games (and to a lesser extent Bloodbourne is also much more focused than the DS series). In Sekiro the combat system is very explicit: learn to parry well, or die. Once you do the game becomes very simple. Difficult as all hell, but its about mastering the simple steps of parry, dodge, counter and for that reason I got into it a HELL of a lot quicker than the other games, which involved much more pain to get over the initial hurdle of difficulty and confusion as to what the hell I was meant to be doing.

I really get the sentiment that it doesn't respect the players time: but when it comes to the souls games, I never felt it was unnecessarily unfair. It surprised you and uses cheap deaths to instill a sense of dread, but once you get into the swing of things, you generally only die when YOU have made a mistake or did something stupid or reckless, so while I would scream in frustration sometimes, it was never directed at the game. I appreciate that these games do require a certain mindset and need a fair bit of effort to overcome the initial pain, and for that reason I can see why they are not for everyone. I never really felt it was wasting my time in the same way games that involve endless fetch quests or whatever though, since even when I was getting my arse handed to me, I still felt like I was improving.

Hbomberguy did a decent video analysis of the soulsbourne games and he made a pretty compelling argument that Bloodbourne is a much better start point than the DS series since it is much better at teaching how to play in a way that is fun, whereas the DS series lead you down a path of defensive, boring play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

I'm not too far into Bloodbourne. I beat Father Whatever on my second try, (as well as that bigass beast thing on the bridge early in the game). I'm not sure if the game is any more easier, difficult, or focused than Dark Souls 1. It's the fucking running back that annoys me more than the enemies.

Yesterday I got up to this area where some fuckhead on a roof is shooting at me with a chaingun-type of thing. So I run around killing enemies, evading bullets and finally get up to the guy...only to roll off the small roof while dodging his very fast spastic attacks. So I respawned, did that shit all over again and got killed by the guy pretty quickly. So I made my way there again and rolled off the roof trying to dodge him. After that, I put the PS4 on Rest Mode and took a break...that lasted the whole day and evening as I had no desire to go through that gauntlet again.

Before I went to bed, I turned on the PS4 just to properly shut it off. Fuck the 22,000 Blood Echoes I would loose :lol

After I put my PC together tomorrow night (I see you have constructed a new lightsaber) I might install Sekiro. I really enjoyed what little I played of it months ago. I had a bunch of other games to play so I uninstalled it vowing to devote time to it later.

Will that link spoil anything? Not that I ever know what's going on story-wise in these games...
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5849 on: January 10, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »
In Sekiro most if not all bosses have a lamp practically next to the bossfights. But some of those bossfights are also significantly longer than anything I encountered in Bloodborne/Souls, at least in my hands. And minibosses do not always have a lamp nearby, which can be annoying.

In the Souls games I use speedrun-esque strategies to get to the bossfights and usually it isn't that bad. But I could do with closer bonfires/lanterns.

As for the pause function in Souls/BB, the PS4 sleep function worked well as a pause. And for Dark Souls on the Switch the sleep function is very snappy, so there it is not an issue at all.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5850 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:50 PM »
In Sekiro most if not all bosses have a lamp practically next to the bossfights. But some of those bossfights are also significantly longer than anything I encountered in Bloodborne/Souls, at least in my hands. And minibosses do not always have a lamp nearby, which can be annoying.

In the Souls games I use speedrun-esque strategies to get to the bossfights and usually it isn't that bad. But I could do with closer bonfires/lanterns.

As for the pause function in Souls/BB, the PS4 sleep function worked well as a pause. And for Dark Souls on the Switch the sleep function is very snappy, so there it is not an issue at all.

Good to know about the lamp proximity to the Bosses. I didn't get to play much but I really liked the parrying mechanic as well as the Japanese setting.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5851 on: January 11, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »

Good to know about the lamp proximity to the Bosses. I didn't get to play much but I really liked the parrying mechanic as well as the Japanese setting.

Sekiro also has stealth so you can sneak past quite a lot of the enemies in the case there is a bit of backtracking to the boss.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5852 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37:38 PM »
Will that link spoil anything? Not that I ever know what's going on story-wise in these games...

It does discuss the settings of the game and the progression of the narrative in broad strokes, so if you want to remain completely unspoiled perhaps skip it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5853 on: January 11, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »

Sekiro also has stealth so you can sneak past quite a lot of the enemies in the case there is a bit of backtracking to the boss.

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5854 on: January 13, 2020, 03:32:59 AM »
I saw that Playstation Store has a January sale, so I decided to buy and download Red Dead Redemption 2 just now (66% off!). It should be downloaded and ready to go when I get home from work.

I got my new PS4 Pro on Friday, so I want to put it to the test with stunning graphics and nice framerates on my 4K TV.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:10:00 AM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5855 on: January 13, 2020, 07:05:28 AM »
You're in for a good time Zydar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5856 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:44 AM »
I saw that Playstation Store has a January sale, so I decided to buy and download Red Dead Redemption 2 just now (66% off!). It should be downloaded and ready to go when I get home from work.

I got my new PS4 Pro on Friday, so I want to put it to the test with stunning graphics and nice framerates on my 4K TV.

Wow nice sale! I really enjoyed that game. It wasn't perfect of course but it's a beautiful game.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5857 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:51 AM »

You're going to love it.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5858 on: January 13, 2020, 08:41:08 AM »
I am dying to play RDR2. It's just sitting there, waiting for me to finish my other PS4 games. And yet I still bought Monster Hunter World last night... because it was $15 and I couldn't resist. And I shouldn't have even done that because I'm not even finished with MH Generations Ultimate and I'm deep enough into that game that it's becoming rage-invoking  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5859 on: January 13, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »
Just got Katana Zero.  Its a 2D side scroller. Very mature/brutal with an awesome soundtrack. Very fast paced.

Loving it so far

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5860 on: January 13, 2020, 06:59:31 PM »
Is Katana Zero difficult?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5861 on: January 13, 2020, 07:08:43 PM »
The difficulty is not bad. Only on the second level so far though.

The core mechanics are pretty strait forward, then you just time your attacks.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5862 on: January 14, 2020, 05:21:57 AM »
Looks like a neat game, what platform did you get it for?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5863 on: January 14, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
Switch. But its also available for steam and PC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5864 on: January 14, 2020, 12:00:59 PM »
New Doom Eternal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIm3aVZ5q8

Cool beans.  I'll probably buy/play it sometime in 2022 (hell, I only played Doom last year!)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5865 on: January 14, 2020, 12:54:44 PM »
Mang...I hate Jozu The Drunkard in Sekiro. Perhaps I should skip this area and go somewhere else.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5866 on: January 14, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
New Doom Eternal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOIm3aVZ5q8

Cool beans.  I'll probably buy/play it sometime in 2022 (hell, I only played Doom last year!)

Looking forward to this. I almost never play shooters but this and Doom 2016 look like ultra satisfying experiences after a long day at work...

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5867 on: January 14, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »
Hey hey. I beat Horizon Zero Dawn. Fantastic game. Surprised at how quickly it went by though. I did fly through the story so I still have a huge chunk of the map to see for the first time, and tons of side content to do, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to New Game+ it.

Which means it's finally time to play Red Dead 2 and see what the hype is about.  :biggrin: :corn

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5868 on: January 15, 2020, 05:18:33 AM »
That does look like a good bit of fun. And nothing beats a good shooter and a beer after a shitty day :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5869 on: January 15, 2020, 05:38:15 AM »
Hey hey. I beat Horizon Zero Dawn. Fantastic game. Surprised at how quickly it went by though. I did fly through the story so I still have a huge chunk of the map to see for the first time, and tons of side content to do, but I really enjoyed it and can't wait to New Game+ it.

:tup  How'd you like the fight with Helis? Could you imagine how bad you would wreak the game if you had his hit points and and armor?  :lol

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5870 on: January 15, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
Can one of you fine chaps check out this mod and see how the walking speed is? I don't own the game on PC (yet) but if this mod is good then I'd consider buying the game pretty soon. I hated walking speed outside of camp but I don't want a ridiculous fast walk that breaks immersion.

https://www.nexusmods.com/reddeadredemption2/mods/116

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5871 on: January 15, 2020, 08:25:48 AM »
I could just be imagining things, but walking on PC feels way different (better) than walking on PS4.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5872 on: January 15, 2020, 08:26:44 AM »
I could just be imagining things, but walking on PC feels way different (better) than walking on PS4.

Is it really slow outside of camp?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5873 on: January 15, 2020, 08:34:14 AM »

Is it really slow outside of camp?

It can be if you want it to be. I usually just full speed sprint everywhere unless I'm trying to sneak up on an animal. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:08:24 AM by Chino »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5874 on: January 15, 2020, 10:02:48 AM »

:tup  How'd you like the fight with Helis? Could you imagine how bad you would wreak the game if you had his hit points and and armor?  :lol

I was only playing on 'story' difficulty so I could get through the story quickly, but yeah, wow, that dude can TANK!  :lol I liked it a lot, although the battle to defend the ridge... holy cow. That was EPIC. I can't wait to play new game+ and bump the difficulty up to 'hard' for the missions and maybe even try 'ultra hard' for some parts. Game rules. I am fascinated with the lore of the world and hope there aren't permanently missable data entries or other scannables. The plot is awesome.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5875 on: January 15, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
The most difficult fight I had in Horizon: Zero Dawn was that Thunderjaw Fight. Such a pain in my sack. I don't remember which difficulty I was playing on but I'm sure it was one of the higher difficulties.

Offline H2

« Reply #5876 on: January 15, 2020, 10:37:37 AM »
I've gotten so into the old Fire Emblem games lately, particularly the SNES, GBA, and DS ones. Anyone else a fan?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5877 on: January 15, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
The most difficult fight I had in Horizon: Zero Dawn was that Thunderjaw Fight. Such a pain in my sack. I don't remember which difficulty I was playing on but I'm sure it was one of the higher difficulties.

Oh my god, yeah. That Thunderjaw really f'ed me up. At one point I got fed up with running away and trying to position myself and just ran up to it hacking at it, yelling from my couch  :lol

I've gotten so into the old Fire Emblem games lately, particularly the SNES, GBA, and DS ones. Anyone else a fan?

I adore Fire Emblem. Been a very long time since I've played the Japan-only games, but I remember really enjoying Thracia 776 despite its absurd difficulty. The GBA games are wonderful, and imo the best DS one by a long shot is Awakening. Never got around to the Fates games sadly. I have Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch and it is addictive as heck, and eventually I'll pick up Three Houses. What's your favorite? Mine will always be 7, the one on GBA with Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5878 on: January 15, 2020, 10:55:02 AM »
Despite not being fond of the anime style and that the game looks suuuper fucking ugly, I really adore Fire Emblem: Three Houses. There are so many character interactions and the developing relations between these characters are done really well. It really feels like you have a team and you care about that team getting to the finishing line. Playing on hard/hardcore was intense at times, but perfectly doable (also because the game has a pretty forgiving rewind feature). Oh, and the combat system is great, had tons of fun figuring out some of the combat scenarios.

Even ordered Awakening for the 3DS and will eventually get to that if I am travelling much again.

The pre-3DS Fire Emblems are expensive as hell, so I hope Nintendo will release them for the Switch at some point.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5879 on: January 15, 2020, 11:12:43 AM »
One of the reasons I haven't bought Three Houses yet is because I don't at all like how hard they're leaning into the 'anime waifu' side of Fire Emblem in recent years and it seems to be taken to yet another level in Three Houses.