Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 491984 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1820 on: December 17, 2015, 12:24:04 AM »
I find it so weird when people criticize an aspect of something that it is usually praised for.

Criticizing the controls of Shadow of the Colossus is like criticizing the music of Persona or the freedom in Elder Scrolls.

Also, getting killed because your character can't get back up fast enough is incredible frustrating.

Can't say I've ever had this problem.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1821 on: December 17, 2015, 12:31:46 PM »
To each their own, but I've gotta say I've literally never heard those complaints ever. Not a one.  :lol But again, you like what you like and visa versa!

I loved the natural ambiance to the game and thought it was extremely evocative of the quiet mystery the world oozed. I would've hated it if it tried to be like every single other adventure game with this blaring "THIS MUSIC IS TO TELL YOU THAT YOU'RE ON A GRAND ADVENTURE". Not to say that I hate it in other games, but those games are on the other end of the spectrum in terms of style, format, atmosphere...pretty much everything; it wouldn't have worked at all for this game and would've pretty much been the antithesis of what everything else in the game is going for. This is a very singular adventure title. I loved it. Shame you didn't but ey, can't appeal to everyone.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: December 17, 2015, 02:51:46 PM »
Fought so much during Final fantasy 7 that when I'd gotten to Sephiroth - I defeated him with three limit breaks and he was dead.

Didn't even use Knights Of The Round.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1823 on: December 17, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »
Protip: Sephiroth is an easy boss.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1824 on: December 17, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
MINISH CAP HELP NEEDED

I beat this game a while back but the castle looked the same afterward and the NPCs all still have the same dialog they had before I beat it. I can't find any aspect of the game that reflects the fact that I beat it. Is there something else I need to do for the proper ending or is this some kind of weird instance of a game not having a real ending? And to clarify, I got an ending when I beat it but I'm not used to beating a Zelda game without it affecting the world itself thereafter.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1825 on: December 17, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »
Lately I've been reduxing Dishonored and going for the clean hand achievement while still collecting all the loot on the highest difficulty setting. Tonight I made a nearly perfect run through "Lady Boyle's Last Party" and got 4912 coins of a possible 4015.

A lousy 3 coin deficit!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1826 on: December 17, 2015, 10:14:56 PM »
Lately I've been reduxing Dishonored and going for the clean hand achievement while still collecting all the loot on the highest difficulty setting. Tonight I made a nearly perfect run through "Lady Boyle's Last Party" and got 4912 coins of a possible 4015.

A lousy 3 coin deficit!!

Yeah, I hate being 3 coins short of a 900 coin surplus. :biggrin:
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: December 18, 2015, 06:39:15 AM »
Sorry, Nick. I'd been drinking a bit.

Obviously, that should have been 4912 of 4915
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1828 on: December 18, 2015, 08:34:32 AM »
OK, so we are going to get a WiiU.  Do you need an hdmi cable to use it?

If so, the back of my TV only has two hdmi ports (one is used by cable box, other by blu ray player). Is there a splitter or something I can use so I can plug all three in?
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1829 on: December 18, 2015, 09:04:12 AM »

If so, the back of my TV only has two hdmi ports (one is used by cable box, other by blu ray player). Is there a splitter or something I can use so I can plug all three in?

I have a splitter that has a button on it to switch between inputs.  It was smart too and was able to detect which cable was sending a signal and automatically switch (assuming only one HDMI was active, otherwise the button would switch).  I bought that about 7 years ago for my xbox 360 and it was fairly cheap.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1830 on: December 18, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »

I have a splitter that has a button on it to switch between inputs.  It was smart too and was able to detect which cable was sending a signal and automatically switch (assuming only one HDMI was active, otherwise the button would switch).  I bought that about 7 years ago for my xbox 360 and it was fairly cheap.

Perfect. I just wanted to know if they existed and how efficient they were. Thanks. I'll make sure to purchase one when I get the system.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1831 on: December 18, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
MINISH CAP HELP NEEDED

I beat this game a while back but the castle looked the same afterward and the NPCs all still have the same dialog they had before I beat it. I can't find any aspect of the game that reflects the fact that I beat it. Is there something else I need to do for the proper ending or is this some kind of weird instance of a game not having a real ending? And to clarify, I got an ending when I beat it but I'm not used to beating a Zelda game without it affecting the world itself thereafter.

Floydian, there's some post-game content. I mean...you did like, actually beat it right? Saw the credits and everything? If so, you should be able to save right afterwards and then in post-game you can get the Mirror Shield from the Big Goron, but as far as I remember that's really the only worthwhile post-game content. There are some extra figurines if I recall but that obviously doesn't affect gameplay. I suppose they have the Mirror Shield there because while your 'clear file' is saved, you can actually fight the final boss again, so...yeah. I dunno, maybe just to feel like a badass while beating him easier. I'm not sure why they did that... That's really it though, I don't think there's any dialogue changes or anything.

I don't think many Zelda games at all affect the world in post-game for the majority of them. Maybe I'm misremembering them though...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:15:20 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: December 18, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »

Perfect. I just wanted to know if they existed and how efficient they were. Thanks. I'll make sure to purchase one when I get the system.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/40900095?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227028516972&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=61184371089&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=96577684329&veh=sem

Mine was similar to that but with two ports.  A quick google search and a bunch of these came up so should be an easy straight forward purchase.  Just make sure the button is easy to access, that's the only problem I had, the splitter cable was short so I had to put my hand behind the TV to push the button if needed.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1833 on: December 18, 2015, 11:39:46 AM »
MINISH CAP HELP NEEDED

Floydian, there's some post-game content. I mean...you did like, actually beat it right? Saw the credits and everything? If so, you should be able to save right afterwards and then in post-game you can get the Mirror Shield from the Big Goron, but as far as I remember that's really the only worthwhile post-game content. There are some extra figurines if I recall but that obviously doesn't affect gameplay. I suppose they have the Mirror Shield there because while your 'clear file' is saved, you can actually fight the final boss again, so...yeah. I dunno, maybe just to feel like a badass while beating him easier. I'm not sure why they did that... That's really it though, I don't think there's any dialogue changes or anything.

I don't think many Zelda games at all affect the world in post-game for the majority of them. Maybe I'm misremembering them though...

Thanks dude. I apparently missed the light arrows because they don't specifically tell you that you'll irreversibly miss out on them if you don't gust jar that evil spirit circling the ailing man on the cloud tower's second floor. Fuckin pissed about that quite seriously since the kinstone fusions were such a huge pain in the ass that I can't really see myself ever playing through this game again as of now.

Also, were you speaking only about the NPCs' dialog not changing after beating the game or in general? Cuz the people in Hyrule Town, especially the coffee shop, regularly change their dialog to reflect current events. They talk about the chaotic stuff going on due to the looming final castle battle right now and that definitely wasn't happening earlier in the game.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1834 on: December 18, 2015, 01:19:51 PM »
Ah yes, those damned arrows. I hate those missable quests and/or items in any game. But yeah i meant after beating the game.

RIP DTP.

Offline adace

« Reply #1835 on: December 19, 2015, 12:58:34 AM »
Playing the Deadpool game and I love it. The dialogue is absolutely hilarious and the gameplay is really fun. Makes it even harder to wait for the movie!

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1836 on: December 20, 2015, 03:12:35 AM »
If the movie is going to be only half as much fun as all the cutscenes in the game it will be a success.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1837 on: December 24, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »
Finally got around to playing Metal Gear Solid V and while I absolutely loved 1-4, this one I'm not all that into. 

Its decent in its own right, but I feel like it strays a little too far away from what made Metal Gear what it was. I'll keep playing though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:21:04 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1838 on: December 27, 2015, 03:49:29 AM »
I really hate it when a game is quite obviously taking the reigns and there's nothing you can do against it. I shouldn't be losing every game I'm getting 40+ shots compared to 20 shots max. I especially shouldn't be losing every game with only one goal while the opponent gets 4+ every single time, with less than half the shots. But I keep playing, I guess I'm the dip doogan in the end.

NHL 16 is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played. It doesn't matter that I'm completely outplaying my opponent, I'm just unable to score while the other team shoots through my goalie like he's swiss cheese. I bump into anyone and the puck is gone, I check the ever living fuck out of somebody and they hold onto the puck just fine. It's a load of shit that I keep coming back to just because I get one or two good games out of it, through the swamp of shit.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1839 on: December 27, 2015, 10:52:01 AM »
The unrealistic gameplay such as that is the reason I no longer buy or play sports games. I used to love sports games, that's all I played, but now they are too frustrating and disappointing to be worth it.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1840 on: December 28, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »
got my wiiu!!

So how do i connectwith you all?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1841 on: December 28, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
I think I'm beardfloyd. Hit me up, splentcer.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1842 on: December 28, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »
got my wiiu!!

So how do i connectwith you all?

I think you can add people to your friend list by going to the point at the bottom left (I think it`s even called "friend list", not sure about that). I`m wizard3103, feel free to add me, even if I`m unable to play online due to my mess of a router automatically blocking the needed ports for my Wii U and I`m somehow not able to open them.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1843 on: December 28, 2015, 03:10:29 PM »
I'm splent1983

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1844 on: December 28, 2015, 03:13:40 PM »
Sent!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1845 on: December 28, 2015, 03:17:14 PM »
So I finally completed Alien: Isolation after nearly a year. Got a bit stuck and didn't find the mood to continue so I waited. About a week ago I installed it again and continued and completed the campaign just now. Such an awesome cinematic and intense experience and a worthy Alien title, the best Alien game i've played and one of the most intense games i've played.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #1846 on: December 28, 2015, 06:34:57 PM »
Overall 2015 was kinda disappointing as a lot of games I was looking forward to fell flat, but here are my favorites:

8. AC: Syndicate
7. Mad Max
6. Fallout 4
5. The Order 1886
4. Resident Evil Revelations 2
3. Batman Arkham Knight
2. Witcher 3
1. Rise of the Tomb Raider

Still haven't played Ori and the Blind Forest but I'm sure it would fit somewhere on the list just based on what I've read/seen of it.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1847 on: December 29, 2015, 12:13:59 AM »
what are everyone's thoughts on the Arkham games, specifically Arkham Knight?  the collectors edition is discounted on microsoft right now and i have a gift card so I'm tempted, just haven't played any of the games before. 
don't look at this thread that often, but just recently got an Xbox One so I've been catching up on some games.  Already have Gears Ultimate edition, Master Chief collection and Halo 5, Battlefront, Assassins Creed Unity and Syndicate  :tup

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1848 on: December 29, 2015, 12:18:47 AM »
Let me know if you need a partner for Battlefront, I'm usually down to slam some of that.

Offline adace

« Reply #1849 on: December 29, 2015, 04:32:29 AM »
Playing Dishonored Definitive Edition. Really sucks to see they haven't updated the graphics but the main reason I rented it is to play the DLC for the first time, which I'll get to after I finish the main story again.

Also, having just seen The Force Awakens for the first time I'm even more pissed off that there's no story-driven solo campaign in Battlefront.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:27:36 AM by adace »

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1850 on: December 29, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
I created a Nintendo network ID thread for anyone who wants to share theirs for gaming purposes.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1851 on: December 29, 2015, 03:51:00 PM »
pretty much all the standout games of 2015 for me were indie thingies
Ori, Environmental Station Alpha, Undertale, Crypt of the Necrodancer's full release

i got Axiom Verge a few days ago and that feels like it'd have a shot of ending up here once i play through it 'cause I'm a sucker for a good metroidvania

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1852 on: December 30, 2015, 01:33:31 PM »
I think I'm pretty close to finishing my obsession with Dishonored. Only one achievement left that I care to go for...finish the game on High Chaos.

I'm eyeballing Shadow of Mordor as my next game to play. Can anyone confirm this as a good choice or talk me out of it?

P.S. I only play PC games. Not because I'm an elitist but because I'm rubbish with controllers.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #1853 on: December 30, 2015, 01:53:51 PM »
I think I'm pretty close to finishing my obsession with Dishonored. Only one achievement left that I care to go for...finish the game on High Chaos.

I'm eyeballing Shadow of Mordor as my next game to play. Can anyone confirm this as a good choice or talk me out of it?

P.S. I only play PC games. Not because I'm an elitist but because I'm rubbish with controllers.

I'm also curious as to people's opinions on Shadow of Mordor. 

Offline adace

« Reply #1854 on: December 30, 2015, 02:14:08 PM »

I'm also curious as to people's opinions on Shadow of Mordor.
Played a bit of it a while ago and didn't care for it. The constantly respawning enemies made it boring and unnecessarily difficult.