Author Topic: most technically difficult solo?  (Read 5565 times)

Offline djentlemen

• they took my fucking ship yargh argh
most technically difficult solo?
« on: August 29, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »
imo its either tgp arps ( alt picked ) or blind faith unison

antr unison ( before the "DAY AFTER DAY )is up there too

EDIT:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMR9nFBqM8&NR=1
relevant
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:56:05 AM by djentlemen »
life is like a shlong , it gets hard for no reason

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: most technically difficult solo?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:21:08 AM »
The TGP arp solo is the first one that comes to mind, but the difficulty of that solo is just the speed and precision. But the fact that JP struggles with it live is proof that it's a tough solo.

I recall that Jordan said in an interview that JP doesn't like to play the Blind Faith unison because it's hard to play on guitar, so that's a contender (although it doesn't sound as hard as it probably is). I guess the trouble with that is the scale or the shapes?

There are a lot of solos that are difficult due to speed alone, such as the ITNOG instrumental section, the TDEN guitar solo, the first guitar solo in Beyond This Life (which as I recall is entirely purposely out of key, which may make it difficult pattern-wise), and Constant Motion.

Then there are other solos where the difficulty is the technique used. I'm thinking stuff like the UAGM solo, with that weird sound he does by swiping at the strings (no idea what it's called or how to describe it). I think there's also some funky whammy bar usage in that one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kiwiclapton

• It all began with Beatlemania,
  • In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »
Great post! I'll go for Blind Faith too

Offline Ħ

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:29 AM »
Quick question, where is the Blind Faith unison that everyone talks about?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline djentlemen

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:41 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbRLTzA-74

jp has to mimic jordan's notes on the guitar, its hard as tits, believe me, i've seen the tabs

@blob

uagm isn't difficult, it only sounds hard because jp incorporates many different scales and patterns into it , sweeping , chromatics , tapping
but i  have to agree with you on the different factors that make a song difficult
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:54:59 AM by djentlemen »

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58:04 AM »
yes definitely the blind faith unison, but i know the ending sweep thing at the end of the constant motion guitar solo, I would also imagine all the unisons in, in the presence of enemies, the itNoG unison and tDS unison at the end.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:05:43 AM »
@blob

uagm isn't difficult, it only sounds hard because jp incorporates many different scales and patterns into it , sweeping , chromatics , tapping

i wasn't saying that it's a hard solo for him to play, but I think that the number of techniques you need to pull off to play it properly make it one of his tougher ones for others to emulate well.

I was referring to the little noises he makes at 5:24 in the song. What technique is that? He hasn't really done it in any other solo, so I don't know what it's called. And as you've mentioned, there's the sweep picking sections, and tapping and there's that little section from about 5:10 to 5:13 or so where he's doing some nifty whammy/slide stuff. As you said, it's that he incorporates a lot of different things into it.

I think while something like the TGP arp solo is really tough, it requires less style to play than the UAGM solo. There's no bending required, no vibrato, no whammy, no slides. It's just brutally fast.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:10:13 AM »

On the keyboard side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKMR9nFBqM8&feature=related
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline djentlemen

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 02:18:28 AM »
@blob

i wasn't saying that it's a hard solo for him to play, but I think that the number of techniques you need to pull off to play it properly make it one of his tougher ones for others to emulate well.

I was referring to the little noises he makes at 5:24 in the song. What technique is that? He hasn't really done it in any other solo, so I don't know what it's called. And as you've mentioned, there's the sweep picking sections, and tapping and there's that little section from about 5:10 to 5:13 or so where he's doing some nifty whammy/slide stuff. As you said, it's that he incorporates a lot of different things into it.

I think while something like the TGP arp solo is really tough, it requires less style to play than the UAGM solo. There's no bending required, no vibrato, no whammy, no slides. It's just brutally fast.

oh that sound is just him fluttering his whammy bar, kinda like a fast dive. do you play the guitar?

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 02:27:30 AM »
but i  have to agree with you on the different factors that make a song difficult

This.

You have to have a reasonably broad knowledge of the guitar to understand how to play the solo but none of the parts are technically *that* difficult (at least in the grand scheme of Petrucci's solos).

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
In b4 The Silent Man
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 02:31:47 AM »
@blob

I heard him do it at the end of Take the Time as he's cooling off from world domination mode on Images and Words: Live in Tokyo as well but not on anything else studiowise. I assume you mean that almost violent fluttering sound where he's almost punching the pick through the strings? It's so damn weird. I've also heard Tony Macalpine use it on Planet X's Universe album at one point. If it is only a whammy dive is it generating some unintentional dissonance against the slight echo/reverb he uses? I mean the pitch difference between what's actually being sounded by the guitar compared to the echoed pitch of the just=played note mid-dive.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:32:23 AM »
actually I would also put the SoC guitar solo in there as well...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
I heard him do it at the end of Take the Time as he's cooling off from world domination mode on Images and Words: Live in Tokyo as well but not on anything else studiowise. I assume you mean that almost violent fluttering sound where he's almost punching the pick through the strings? It's so damn weird. I've also heard Tony Macalpine use it on Planet X's Universe album at one point.

That's the one. The fluttery thing. I think on the Live in Tokyo commentary JP mentions which guitarist he got the technique from.

oh that sound is just him fluttering his whammy bar, kinda like a fast dive. do you play the guitar?

Nope. I'm clearly just talking out of my ass here. :lol

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 02:37:38 AM »
I was referring to the little noises he makes at 5:24 in the song. What technique is that?

It's where you flick the end of the whammy bar. That's all there is to it (and a floating bridge).

It's a trick that Vai liked to use at one time (I've not really followed him since Fire Garden so dunno if he still uses it).

Offline Ħ

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
Blob, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmq2C5kLoM

He just hits the whammy bar really fast.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline djentlemen

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 02:47:16 AM »

his tone was horrible on that video , but nonetheless great playing john!

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 03:00:27 AM »
That hit on the whammy bar is usually called a "tiger punch".. I think JP used the technique on Bombay Vindalloo a little bit too.

Beyond This Life has a pretty sick unison and harmony solo section that is clearly hard for them to absolutely nail it live. They did well on LSFNY but I've seen multiple live recordings where Jordan will unconciously sustain one of the notes and nearly fuck up the entire section. He did it on LSFNY but him and JP are so fucking fast that they managed to recover before everything got out of time.

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 03:03:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAbRLTzA-74

jp has to mimic jordan's notes on the guitar, its hard as tits, believe me, i've seen the tabs

@blob

Holy jesus I never realized how difficult that part is. Good lord.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:07:10 AM »
I heard him do it at the end of Take the Time as he's cooling off from world domination mode on Images and Words: Live in Tokyo as well but not on anything else studiowise. I assume you mean that almost violent fluttering sound where he's almost punching the pick through the strings? It's so damn weird. I've also heard Tony Macalpine use it on Planet X's Universe album at one point.

That's the one. The fluttery thing. I think on the Live in Tokyo commentary JP mentions which guitarist he got the technique from.

Ah yes, the Brad Gillis "bird chirp".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 05:36:23 AM »
If I remember right, Petrucci said on some interview, that TGP's arpeggios are the most difficult to play for him.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 05:51:26 AM »

The sound appears in Spock's Beard's album The Light as well. I'm guessing their guitarist was a big Petrucci fan.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Addy

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »
I've never tried to play Blind Faith unison, but it looks difficult. TGP arpeggios are pretty hard, especially if you do it with alternate picking. That unison after the first chorus of BTL is also tricky. What i also found tricky is that unison in TDOE, after JR's ragtime solo (2:48).

And if you count the LTE's tunes... That main theme of Universal Mind is a b#*%h...

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
Blind Faith Unison! It's the toughest song he's ever done along with the intro to Universal Mind.

TGP arp sure is difficult too, and the Never Enough unison ain't easy either.

Those are probably 4 of JPs toughest moments, IMO.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
most technically difficult solo?

"hi, my name is John Petrucci" solo. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAwlB_btUSs

Online krands85

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 09:15:15 AM »
That's the one I always think of. But then I know nothing about guitar playing, it just sounds pretty fast to me ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline djentlemen

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
That's the one I always think of. But then I know nothing about guitar playing, it just sounds pretty fast to me ;D

well soc solo is fast, but really its very very simple....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITIfITKGhVw

.. until we reach 0:27

another thing about soc's first solo, i think its terribly overated , the final solo beats it by a long shot and i see no praise for it

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:58 PM »
In the Name of God is the hardest in my opinion. And if you're not great at sweeps, The Glass Prison and Constant Motion are hell as well.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »

Ah yes, the Brad Gillis "bird chirp".

Ha thats an awesome name for it - bird chirp.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »

well soc solo is fast, but really its very very simple....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITIfITKGhVw

.. until we reach 0:27

another thing about soc's first solo, i think its terribly overated , the final solo beats it by a long shot and i see no praise for it

THIS a hundred times! The last solo is just so epic, one of JPs top 10 solos for me, definetely.