Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 193631 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. liftin' and losin'
« Reply #1925 on: October 10, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »
That's awesome Ruslan.

I tweaked something in my left trap the other day... went a little heavy with dumbbell high pulls - not good form, and was cheating them up a bit too much.  Bad idea.

Today, chest and back.  I finally got plates and a bar, so now my new setup is complete.  I've got some cosmetic stuff to do, and will post pics maybe by the end of the weekend.  I haven't had too much chance to use the plates yet, but today will be BB rows; tomorrow squats and DL finally using heavy enough weights. :caffeine:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1926 on: October 11, 2020, 04:53:41 AM »
Ruslan, you are killing it.  Your increases in distance and time actually has me jealous, you are flying.  :lol  To give you an idea on how well you are going, I did 8km today in 41:41 and was absolutely spent.  That's about average now, I've stalled heavily, not sure what my next move should be.  Keep going mate!

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: October 11, 2020, 06:04:02 AM »
It was really nice finally being able to use a barbell on the moves I want to, and not have to adapt with a dB movement. Did underhand bb rows yesterday. It’s a small thing, but felt great to do the movement with a strait bar.  Of course, I’m sore his mornig. Today is gonna be twice as nice - deadlifts and squats. Now I can finally get up to a weight that is a challenge, and proper form that I can’t get with dbs
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: October 11, 2020, 06:23:29 AM »
I prefer underhand rows as opposed to overhand.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1929 on: October 13, 2020, 10:38:50 PM »
Haven't been my best with dieting lately, but have kept up with solid exercise and am now down 24lbs total to 246lbs. Hoping between now and Thanksgiving I can put it all together and make a really good push going into the holiday season.

And I know this isn't the perfect thread for this, but as going vegetarian has had a natural tie in with my diet I have to say Beyond Meat is incredible. I just ordered $100 worth of "meat" from their site to throw in my freezer. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: October 13, 2020, 11:04:38 PM »
Haven't been my best with dieting lately, but have kept up with solid exercise and am now down 24lbs total to 246lbs. Hoping between now and Thanksgiving I can put it all together and make a really good push going into the holiday season.

And I know this isn't the perfect thread for this, but as going vegetarian has had a natural tie in with my diet I have to say Beyond Meat is incredible. I just ordered $100 worth of "meat" from their site to throw in my freezer.

Well done Nick.  What's your reasoning behind going vegetarian if you don't mind me asking?

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1931 on: October 14, 2020, 05:16:06 AM »
And I know this isn't the perfect thread for this

Nah, we're all about nutrition talk 'round here. After all, it makes up the base of the health and fitness pyramid.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »
And I know this isn't the perfect thread for this

Nah, we're all about nutrition talk 'round here. After all, it makes up the base of the health and fitness pyramid.

Agreed.  But I just cannot get on the 'fake meat' bandwagon.  I remember taking a night school class in Uni with a guy that worked at the Schneiders factory in the area, and he once said that he would never eat anything processed (since he knew what "processed" really entailed.  I can only assume what nastiness goes in to making Beyond Meat look and taste like meat.  I also remember reading this article a while ago - https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/beyond-meat-health-vegan-burger-plant-based

Just because a product is plant-based doesn’t mean it’s automatically healthy. “French fries are plant-based,” Langer pointed out.

In fact, Aroma’s vegan burger (made with a Beyond Meat patty) and salad will set you back 990 calories, 63.9 grams of fat and 1,530 milligrams of sodium.

No thanks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1933 on: October 14, 2020, 08:10:21 AM »
I've heard people say the beyond meat is pretty good for not being real meat, but I've also heard that stuff is really bad for you (not in calories, but in other ways being a processed food) which make me not want to even bother trying it.  I've been sooo good lately with dropping processed foods.  It hasn't cut into my belly or anything, but I feel better about myself for doing it for my overall health. 

My x did stock up my pantry with a bunch of shit food though that I've slowly been eating at just to get rid of it though, but I'm getting close to not having nay boxed or frozen meals in my house as well as no junk food.  The only processed stuff I'll have is cheese, protein/fiber bars, yogurt and dressings/marinades. And I'm trying to cut breads out but occasionally I'll get like wraps or something that aren't fresh baked.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1934 on: October 14, 2020, 03:53:05 PM »
Not sure how the sodium levels stack up with a regular burger Chad posted, but that sodium level is crazy high.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1935 on: October 14, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
I probably should have clarified a bit more, so here it goes.

TL;DR: Going vegetarian and losing weight had nothing to do with one another, but have combined to really change the way I eat.

I have known for a long time that a vegetarian diet was better for the environment, and then early this year I heard a story from a family I served (I had funeral services for their dad) that really drove home ethical points about eating meat that I also pretty much knew in the back of my mind anyway. So all year I had been cutting back on meat, mainly with our four HelloFresh dinners each week. Started with some vegetarian choices here or there, then a solid 2 or 3 a week, and then usually all 4 most weeks.

It was Aug. 15 I think that I hit 270lbs and started losing weight. Then at the end of August I decided, completely unrelated to that, to try and give up meat completely. It has thus far worked out and I am now a month and a half without meat. But while my diet is about losing weight and being healthier, my going meatless is 100% environmental and ethical.

Getting specifically to Beyond Meat, I will say I wasn't looking for that. We have enjoyed finding good recipes that just don't use meat, but Beyond Meat opens things up, especially when other people are involved. The biggest success was having the in-laws over and cooking burgers, and having my father-in-law, who is the furthest thing from a vegetarian you can imagine not only loving the Beyond Burgers and complimenting them, but going so far as to have the second with no condiments or bun, just straight patty to enjoy how good it was. It allows us to occasionally just cook how we used to more easily when we want, and cook for others more easily without worrying they'll be turned off at all.

I've personally never cared if something is processed, and compared to meat at least their formula seems plenty healthy to me. My only real gripe with the company is that they claim to care about the environment and yet proudly talk about how they don't have GMOs, which have the ability to be more environmentally friendly and feed more people.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: October 14, 2020, 04:16:45 PM »
Completely understand it being from an ethical point of view Nick.  Good on you for going all in.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: October 14, 2020, 05:15:56 PM »
Completely understand it being from an ethical point of view Nick.  Good on you for going all in.

Yea, while I love meat and don't see myself giving it up, those who can and do it "for the cause" should get some props.  More so if you, not Nick specifically the general "you", don't hate on me for continuing to eat meat. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: October 14, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »

Yea, while I love meat and don't see myself giving it up, those who can and do it "for the cause" should get some props.  More so if you, not Nick specifically the general "you", don't hate on me for continuing to eat meat.

+1.

I think I know the answer, but just to be clear .... you give up all meat? Beef, pork, fish, poultry.  Road kill?  Republicans?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1939 on: October 14, 2020, 06:33:25 PM »

+1.

I think I know the answer, but just to be clear .... you give up all meat? Beef, pork, fish, poultry.  Road kill?  Republicans?

There are times I get cravings for certain things for sure, but for the last month and a half I've been completely on point. If I was as strict with my diet as I was with giving up meat I'd be down 40lbs instead of 24lbs! I would love to make an exception for fish/seafood, but people tend to do that for the health reasons, so I can't really justify that is health isn't the reason I gave up other meats.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: October 14, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »
Yeah, don't hate us Nick.  I would totally struggle eating no meat whatsoever.  Don't think I could do it.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1941 on: October 14, 2020, 06:54:32 PM »
Yeah, don't hate us Nick.  I would totally struggle eating no meat whatsoever.  Don't think I could do it.

I look at it this way, I've probably been presented with solid evidence as an adult as long as 15 years ago that eating meat was, on some level, wrong. Yet it took me those 15 years so actually come around and act on that. So while I will certainly recommend giving up meat for certain reasons, I can completely understand those that can't or won't. And frankly there is always a chance I could go back to meat at some point, crazier things have happened.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: October 14, 2020, 07:21:59 PM »
My line of thinking is, I love animals a lot.  But I love eating them a lot too.  Unfortunately animals aren't going to stop getting killed because I stop eating them.  I know the whole thing about we all need to do our part etc.  But I ain't changing the world.  Animals will still be sacrificed.  It may be a cop out, but I'll live by that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: October 14, 2020, 10:22:41 PM »
I totally respect you position Nick.  For me, not sure I'd ever get there.  There's a reason that humans are tagged with the moniker 'top of the food chain'.  I say that somewhat facetiously, but somewhat seriously.  I don't think this is the thread for a debate on the topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:35 AM »
Nick: nothing but utmost respect for your decision and your stance on this, but there's no way I can do it. I know it might be selfish but meat is something I probably won't ever give up. Fish too, man I love fish.

Kade: I read your post regarding 8km in 41:41 and felt really good during today's run so I tried to up the pace a bit, ended up doing 7km in 39:52. :metal Today was such a good day for it too, clear sky, +16°C during sunset in the middle of October. Probably one of the last days like these this year, the forecast is +5°C on Sunday. :P Bought a jacket for runs in the colder weather a few days ago, can't wait to try it in action.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1945 on: October 15, 2020, 10:35:20 AM »
Nick: nothing but utmost respect for your decision and your stance on this, but there's no way I can do it. I know it might be selfish but meat is something I probably won't ever give up. Fish too, man I love fish.

Kade: I read your post regarding 8km in 41:41 and felt really good during today's run so I tried to up the pace a bit, ended up doing 7km in 39:52. :metal Today was such a good day for it too, clear sky, +16°C during sunset in the middle of October. Probably one of the last days like these this year, the forecast is +5°C on Sunday. :P Bought a jacket for runs in the colder weather a few days ago, can't wait to try it in action.
Yeah...we're forecasted -3C on Sunday here. I'll still be heading out for a ride, but most of my riding friends have shut it down for the year. I give them a hard time for it. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is ridiculously far north for such a large metro area, so it gets cold and dark. If you're not willing to cycle in the cold or dark here, when the hell are you going to do it lol?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: October 15, 2020, 10:38:51 AM »

Yeah...we're forecasted -3C on Sunday here. I'll still be heading out for a ride, but most of my riding friends have shut it down for the year. I give them a hard time for it. Edmonton, Alberta, Canada is ridiculously far north for such a large metro area, so it gets cold and dark. If you're not willing to cycle in the cold or dark here, when the hell are you going to do it lol?

Summer?

19C this morning... but rain forecasted for about the next week.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: October 15, 2020, 10:56:13 AM »
It is clear blue skies and 75F here in NJ today, absolutely beautiful day for mid october and I'm working from home outside enjoying it right now, as I just finished my early day bike ride (I'll do another later today).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: October 15, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »

I'm planning to run during the whole winter. We'll see how it goes!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1949 on: October 15, 2020, 12:10:52 PM »
I took up winter cycling back in 2018 when i started cycling for my commute, and i absolutely love it. The same roads and trails have a different feel and look in the winter that i find refreshing. So long as you're wearing appropriate clothing you don't really get cold.

I remember a commute this past winter where the base temp was -30, and dropped to -40 with the windchill. Within 5min my garmin bike computer stopped working, my gear shifters stopped working, and then finally my headlight stopped. I still got to work not only completely warm, but actually sweating a shit load.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: October 15, 2020, 02:23:42 PM »
I took up winter cycling back in 2018 when i started cycling for my commute, and i absolutely love it. The same roads and trails have a different feel and look in the winter that i find refreshing. So long as you're wearing appropriate clothing you don't really get cold.

I remember a commute this past winter where the base temp was -30, and dropped to -40 with the windchill. Within 5min my garmin bike computer stopped working, my gear shifters stopped working, and then finally my headlight stopped. I still got to work not only completely warm, but actually sweating a shit load.

That's what I'm looking for. I love winter and I love snow and there's usually snow. I'm looking forward to it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: October 15, 2020, 03:22:35 PM »

Awesome mate, crushing it again.  I think that's actually.one thing that's not helping my plateau either, it's getting warm, especially here where running in close to 30-35 degree weather is not unheard of.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: October 17, 2020, 02:55:39 AM »

Awesome mate, crushing it again.  I think that's actually.one thing that's not helping my plateau either, it's getting warm, especially here where running in close to 30-35 degree weather is not unheard of.

Just had my first run in a moderately cold weather, 3°C and it was good, got 7.8 km in 45 minutes which I'm pretty happy with. Planned to do 7 km but I took a wrong turn and ended up circling back which added to the distance a bit. :lol I can definitely see myself running in colder weather, should be no problem down to -5°C at all, after that I can see it becoming more difficult. Running in the heat must suck though, I started in late August so I avoided most of the warmer days. Next summer should be tough.

There's also fewer people in the park now that it's colder, so it's pretty much all lovely like this:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: October 17, 2020, 04:58:08 AM »
Amazing scenery Ruslan.  Looks perfect for a long run.

How are you pulling up after your runs?  Takes a lot out of me personally and even the next day especially on a Monday after a long Sunday run, it really fucks me for most of the day.  Seems it just takes it out of me.  Interested to see how you are pulling up?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: October 17, 2020, 10:47:07 AM »
That looks very nice for a stroll

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1955 on: October 17, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
How are you pulling up after your runs?  Takes a lot out of me personally and even the next day especially on a Monday after a long Sunday run, it really fucks me for most of the day.  Seems it just takes it out of me.  Interested to see how you are pulling up?

Well, actually I don't do much. I do a brisk walk for 5 minutes after running as was suggested by the 5k program, then I do a simple stretching routine. Obviously I feel pain, or actually it's more like tension, in my legs and it was very uncomfortable when I started running but it's alright now. The first few hours after a run are the worst and then it sets in and I'm good. I do feel a bit worn out but otherwise fine, motivated and I usually just want to do all the stuff I've put on hold before.

I think that's because I'm running basically with the easiest pace available, I'm taking everything very slowly and I just don't really push myself at all. Yeah I am tired after my runs but it's nothing new, I just suck it up and go with it. It's better than doing nothing.

Tuesday runs take a lot out of me though, these are the worst. I usually run at Saturday morning and then the next run is Tuesday evening and that one sucks. These are the ones where I think "fuck that how about I just go home and watch something because running sucks". I think maybe I need to add a short run on Sunday.

I think it all comes down to the time in which you're doing your runs. My 7.8k today were really easy and leisurely, but if I tried to maintain your pace, I would've likely be tired as hell.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1956 on: October 17, 2020, 12:09:32 PM »

There's also fewer people in the park now that it's colder

100% agree. That's the weather here right now. I expect nobody else on the mtb trails when I head out this afternoon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1957 on: October 17, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »

Well, actually I don't do much. I do a brisk walk for 5 minutes after running as was suggested by the 5k program, then I do a simple stretching routine. Obviously I feel pain, or actually it's more like tension, in my legs and it was very uncomfortable when I started running but it's alright now. The first few hours after a run are the worst and then it sets in and I'm good. I do feel a bit worn out but otherwise fine, motivated and I usually just want to do all the stuff I've put on hold before.

I think that's because I'm running basically with the easiest pace available, I'm taking everything very slowly and I just don't really push myself at all. Yeah I am tired after my runs but it's nothing new, I just suck it up and go with it. It's better than doing nothing.

Tuesday runs take a lot out of me though, these are the worst. I usually run at Saturday morning and then the next run is Tuesday evening and that one sucks. These are the ones where I think "fuck that how about I just go home and watch something because running sucks". I think maybe I need to add a short run on Sunday.

I think it all comes down to the time in which you're doing your runs. My 7.8k today were really easy and leisurely, but if I tried to maintain your pace, I would've likely be tired as hell.

You're pace is not far off though considering you haven't been running all that long, I guess that's why I ask.  Seems like your fitness is quite good.  That's the thing though hey, you just suck it up and go again the next day.  I guess I'm doing 5 days of heavy weight training too plus trying to add some swimming in. 

Sunday morning now and not sure what my aim is today.  Will see how I feel once I start.  Not overly motivated.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: October 17, 2020, 03:35:29 PM »
I finished month 1 of the “Max Size” program from Athlean-X, and made some noticeable gains on my lifts. I’m gonna take a ‘recovery’ week and do some low key cardio, maybe a couple of light duty lifting sessions, and start month/phase 2 next Saturday.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1959 on: October 17, 2020, 05:28:13 PM »
I finished month 1 of the “Max Size” program from Athlean-X, and made some noticeable gains on my lifts. I’m gonna take a ‘recovery’ week and do some low key cardio, maybe a couple of light duty lifting sessions, and start month/phase 2 next Saturday.
Awesome job. Sounds like it was a good program. I might have a peek to see if it's something the piques my interest