Author Topic: New Ozzy Osbourne  (Read 13395 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2022, 09:11:35 PM »
Been listening to a lot of 90's ozzy lately.

I truly love See you on the other side

See You On The Other Side is a Top 5 Ozzy song, and Ozzmosis is a Top 5 Ozzy album...probably #4.
See You on the Other Side is a good Ozzy song, but Ozzmosis? Eeeaaughgggh, not a good album.

The last good thing Ozzy did was the last Black Sabbath album, 13.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Volante99

Re: New Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2022, 10:08:19 PM »
Ozzmosis is definitely his last listenable album- but the cracks were starting to show.

He had some of his biggest success yet using outside writers for No More Tears- so he does this in an even bigger way with Ozzmosis and the results are very hit or miss. Clearly, they were trying to “modernize” Ozzy (something they’re STILL trying to do in 2022, unfortunately).

I think the most interesting thing about Ozzmosis is that Steve Vai was brought in for the writing sessions and possible replacement to Zakk Wylde. Vai is diplomatic but if you read between the lines in interviews, it sounds like the guitarist was asking too many questions like “who is going to get publishing, songwriting credit, etc”.

“Oh don’t worry about it, we’ll take care of you!” says the Sharon/Ozzy camp who have screwed over virtually every musician they’ve worked with. This is pure conjecture but Vai, being the industry veteran, and shrewd business person that his is, probably smelled the BS and “noped” out of that situation in a hurry. He did contribute one song, though- “My Little Man”.

As someone who greatly prefers Vai’s playing within the context (and confines) of a band- it’s interesting to think what an Ozzy/Vai album would have sounded like. With the exception of Perry Mason- I find most of Zakk’s guitar work tired and uninspired here, especially compared to his work on No Rest and No Tears which is the stuff of guitar gods. Unfortunately, Zakk’s solos in ALL of his projects after No More Tears sound uninspired- I suspect you might need a Michael Wagener-like producer to coax a thoughtful, well-composed solo out of him.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 10:27:58 PM by Volante99 »

Offline WardySI

« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2022, 10:57:11 PM »
Happy to be corrected but if memory serves me right I think Vai wrote and recorded quite a few songs with Ozzy before it all folded.  My Little Man was obviously the only song that made it to the album but am sure there were more!?

BTW quite like the new Ozzy single with Lommi Degredation Rules \m/

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2022, 11:12:12 PM »
I'm just glad we only had to wait 2.5 years for a new album instead of 10 this time. I was dang sure for a while there that Scream would be the last one.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2022, 06:15:22 AM »
Happy to be corrected but if memory serves me right I think Vai wrote and recorded quite a few songs with Ozzy before it all folded.  My Little Man was obviously the only song that made it to the album but am sure there were more!?

Yeah the rumor is they had a ton of material before the project with Vai was abandoned, which gives even more credence to my theory that Ozzy/Sharon tried to pull songwriting credit shenanigans with Vai and he pulled the plug.

Case in point, apparently, Lemmy wrote the lyrics to “My Little Man” for his son Rand but receives no credit on the album. Also, there’s the issue of the guitar solo; Vai hasn’t commented directly (that I know of) but his camp claims he appears nowhere on the album- but the performance sounds an awful lot like Vai to me. It’s either Zakk doing his best Vai impression or Vai doing his best Zakk impression- most likely the former but there is definitely a tremolo utilized at the end which would be highly unusual for Zakk.

And yeah, Degradation Rules is probably the first song he’s put out since he started working for Andrew Watt that doesn’t totally suck…probably because someone with a background in actual metal music was involved…go figure.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2022, 06:57:24 AM »
Wow, I never knew Vai was apart of My little man. Now when I hear it, I can't not hear Vai  :lol

The first song I ever heard from Ozzy was I just want you. I think I was like 7 and I remember digging it and then I learned more and more about his music going forward. Hellraiser is another favorite and I didn't hear that for the first time until GTA san andreas.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2022, 07:29:06 AM »
Ozzmosis is definitely his last listenable album- but the cracks were starting to show.

He had some of his biggest success yet using outside writers for No More Tears- so he does this in an even bigger way with Ozzmosis and the results are very hit or miss. Clearly, they were trying to “modernize” Ozzy (something they’re STILL trying to do in 2022, unfortunately).

I think the most interesting thing about Ozzmosis is that Steve Vai was brought in for the writing sessions and possible replacement to Zakk Wylde. Vai is diplomatic but if you read between the lines in interviews, it sounds like the guitarist was asking too many questions like “who is going to get publishing, songwriting credit, etc”.

“Oh don’t worry about it, we’ll take care of you!” says the Sharon/Ozzy camp who have screwed over virtually every musician they’ve worked with. This is pure conjecture but Vai, being the industry veteran, and shrewd business person that his is, probably smelled the BS and “noped” out of that situation in a hurry. He did contribute one song, though- “My Little Man”.

As someone who greatly prefers Vai’s playing within the context (and confines) of a band- it’s interesting to think what an Ozzy/Vai album would have sounded like. With the exception of Perry Mason- I find most of Zakk’s guitar work tired and uninspired here, especially compared to his work on No Rest and No Tears which is the stuff of guitar gods. Unfortunately, Zakk’s solos in ALL of his projects after No More Tears sound uninspired- I suspect you might need a Michael Wagener-like producer to coax a thoughtful, well-composed solo out of him.

This!

I have a lot of love for Ozzmosis as it was the first Ozzy album I bought on release day.

I was 11 when No More Tears came out, so for me, that is THE Ozzy album by which I measure all others.

Your points on Ozzmosis are right on–the record takes a lot of what was good about NMT and attempts to modernize it. "Thunder Underground," "Perry Mason," and "I Just Want You" are example of where this works. Some of the other tracks fell a little flat (at the time), but I've really come to appreciate the album as a whole.

"Desire" and "Tomorrow" are mid-album highlights and "My Jekyll Doesn't Hide" has a massive riff. In fact, the only track that I've remained cold on is "Old LA Tonight." Compared to NMT's closer ("Road to Nowhere"), "Old LA....." is a bit of a letdown.

Ok, so here is the most controversial thing I've typed in quite a long time: if I had to pick two, and ONLY two Ozzy albums to take with me to that goddamned dessert island, I'd take No More Tears and Ozzmosis.

Yes, even over Blizzard and Madman–whenever I'm in the mood for some solo-Ozzy, I start with the '90s and go back from there.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2022, 07:42:40 AM »
The production on Ozzmosis always sounded a bit weird to me (I guess the drums especially...?)

Again, it was somewhat of a letdown for me after No More Tears, but it's overall a very enjoyable album.

I generally agree on the songs WilliamMunny highlighted... I like the vibe on "I Just Want you", although I can't help but think of Madonna's La Isla Bonita every time I listen to it  ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Ozzy Osbourne
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »
Been listening to a lot of 90's ozzy lately.

I truly love See you on the other side

See You On The Other Side is a Top 5 Ozzy song, and Ozzmosis is a Top 5 Ozzy album...probably #4.
See You on the Other Side is a good Ozzy song, but Ozzmosis? Eeeaaughgggh, not a good album.

The last good thing Ozzy did was the last Black Sabbath album, 13.

I'm with the group on "See You On The Other Side", it's a great song, but I'm with you on Ozzmosis.  I don't get it.   

I smell ranking!!!

Diary of a Madman (1981)   
Blizzard of Ozz (1980)
No More Tears (1991)
Bark at the Moon (1983)
No Rest for the Wicked (1988)
The Ultimate Sin (1986)
Ozzmosis (1995)
Down to Earth (2001)
Black Rain (2007)
Scream (2010)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2022, 05:05:26 PM »
The production on Ozzmosis always sounded a bit weird to me (I guess the drums especially...?)

The production is ridiculously awful.

I feel like if it had a proper production, people would really feel differently, because I think most of the songs on this are fantastic.

I also consider Ozzmosis the most "Sabbath" of the Ozzy solo albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2022, 05:10:18 PM »
I always enjoyed that album, some really good songs.  I haven't spun it in probably 10 years though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2022, 07:43:03 PM »
I've literally never seen this before..

Ozzy from Rock In Rio 1985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUCnnbJdb4

Nice to hear an actual live vocal from him.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2022, 12:08:36 PM »
I've literally never seen this before..

Ozzy from Rock In Rio 1985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUCnnbJdb4

Nice to hear an actual live vocal from him.

Nice! Saved for later...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2022, 03:52:30 PM »
So if Rhoads had survived, do you guys think he would have stayed with Ozzy all the way through or that he would have bailed after potentially getting the Jake E lee, bob daisy treatment?

Also, did zakk get messed with like they others did or was he treated somewhat fairly?

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »
So if Rhoads had survived, do you guys think he would have stayed with Ozzy all the way through or that he would have bailed after potentially getting the Jake E lee, bob daisy treatment?

What I remember reading, and I don't have a source offhand for this, was that Randy had reluctantly agreed to do what became Speak of The Devil (a live album of Sabbath covers) and one more studio album, but he was leaving after that. He died before any of that could happen, obviously.

What Ozzy says in the Don't Blame Me documentary is "I don't think for a minute that Randy would still be with me."
Randy had intended to go to college and study classical guitar.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2022, 06:29:14 PM »

He agreed to do one more album. He was vehemently against the Speak Of the Devil set of Black Sabbath songs. I believe he eventually acquiesced but informed the Osbournes that his next album would be his last. 

Dammit..ninja'd by Scenes2112

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2022, 08:52:56 AM »
As for Zakk, I think it's complicated, and not a "yes or no" question; I don't think he gets f-ed with as much as Jake did, but I also don't think he makes waves.  I think Zakk is more of a go-with-the-flow guy. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2022, 12:16:36 PM »
I dont speak much,,, but what do you all think of the new ozzy? I was very friendly with Jake E who was and is a super guy,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6DfxA6LiI
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »
Been listening a lot to The Ultimate Sin. Kind of slept on it until now, but Wow, I really dig this album. Jake E lee has a cool style.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2022, 05:19:09 PM »
Been listening a lot to The Ultimate Sin. Kind of slept on it until now, but Wow, I really dig this album. Jake E lee has a cool style.

:tup :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2022, 05:23:12 PM »
I went to grab my copy of The Ultimate Sin, but I tripped and fell from the huge step down from Bark At The Moon.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »
Kade...................some help over here?  Tim's picking on The Ultimate Sin again  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline WardySI

« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2022, 06:13:16 PM »

Yeah the rumor is they had a ton of material before the project with Vai was abandoned, which gives even more credence to my theory that Ozzy/Sharon tried to pull songwriting credit shenanigans with Vai and he pulled the plug.

Case in point, apparently, Lemmy wrote the lyrics to “My Little Man” for his son Rand but receives no credit on the album. Also, there’s the issue of the guitar solo; Vai hasn’t commented directly (that I know of) but his camp claims he appears nowhere on the album- but the performance sounds an awful lot like Vai to me. It’s either Zakk doing his best Vai impression or Vai doing his best Zakk impression- most likely the former but there is definitely a tremolo utilized at the end which would be highly unusual for Zakk.

And yeah, Degradation Rules is probably the first song he’s put out since he started working for Andrew Watt that doesn’t totally suck…probably because someone with a background in actual metal music was involved…go figure.

Bit late in replying sorry but yes this I always assumed it 'was' Vai on the released track so would be cool to have an honest answer.  Never understood the fuck over the Osbourne's have given peeps over the years is half the reason I gave up purchasing any his new releases many moons ago and the last time I bothered seeing him live was for his Ozzman cometh tour back in think it was 98?

Offline The Realm

« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2022, 06:16:04 PM »
I went to grab my copy of The Ultimate Sin, but I tripped and fell from the huge step down from Bark At The Moon.

Is it really though? To me both have some really great songs and both have some average forgettable songs. As a whole the huge step down is going from Diary to Bark.

I think it is easy to dismiss The Ultimate Sin as Ozzy was going through his drag queen phase at the time.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #129 on: July 29, 2022, 03:00:01 AM »

Is it really though? To me both have some really great songs and both have some average forgettable songs. As a whole the huge step down is going from Diary to Bark.

I think it is easy to dismiss The Ultimate Sin as Ozzy was going through his drag queen phase at the time.

Ultimate Sin is way better than Bark at the Moon.

Bark has maybe 3 good songs- (Bark, Centre, and Waiting for Darkness)- the rest of the album ranges from bad to really bad. I consider it, easily, the worst of the classic Ozzy albums.

I’d argue that Ultimate Sin (while maybe not reaching the heights of the Bark at Moon single) doesn’t have a bad song, except Thank God for the Bomb, which is really just a shit chorus but has some great playing from Jake.

Some kickass playing from Randy Castillo throughout too. For a “glam album”, Ozzy could have done a lot worse.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2022, 07:43:18 AM »

Bit late in replying sorry but yes this I always assumed it 'was' Vai on the released track so would be cool to have an honest answer.  Never understood the fuck over the Osbourne's have given peeps over the years is half the reason I gave up purchasing any his new releases many moons ago and the last time I bothered seeing him live was for his Ozzman cometh tour back in think it was 98?

I'm not a huge fan of Sharon, but I think at this point we're just piling on.  Van DID get a credit on the song, didn't he?  Lemmy got a number of credits in the catalogue over the years, didn't he?   It doesn't really make sense to just arbitrarily, on a song-by-song basis, fuck with people. 

I mean, I get not buying his stuff now - since Ozzmosis, his records have been a disappointment to say the least (the two with Churko are far worse than that) - but if Sharon is so bad, if she's such a stick in the mud, why do big name artists that have been around the industry and should (and do) know better still get involved with him?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2022, 12:10:41 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Sharon, but I think at this point we're just piling on.  Van DID get a credit on the song, didn't he?  Lemmy got a number of credits in the catalogue over the years, didn't he?   It doesn't really make sense to just arbitrarily, on a song-by-song basis, fuck with people. 

I mean, I get not buying his stuff now - since Ozzmosis, his records have been a disappointment to say the least (the two with Churko are far worse than that) - but if Sharon is so bad, if she's such a stick in the mud, why do big name artists that have been around the industry and should (and do) know better still get involved with him?

I know the comment wasn’t directed towards me but we ARE talking about the same people who swapped the drum and bass tracks out of two classic albums out of spite- who knows what goes through Sharon’s head (although I consider Ozzy a big boy too and just as culpable here).

Beyond the new bass/drum tracks (a mistake that was corrected in later releases) the only truly egregious shenanigan the Osbournes did was “All lyrics and music by Ozzy Osbourne” on the Bark at the Moon album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: July 29, 2022, 12:15:17 PM »
Don't disagree and I'm not naive or blind.  I just think that there are limits to ascribing EVERYTHING we don't like to Sharon (even if I'm guilty of it too; see my rants about the re-releases of the early Ozzy solo records).

Offline jammindude

« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
Don't disagree and I'm not naive or blind.  I just think that there are limits to ascribing EVERYTHING we don't like to Sharon (even if I'm guilty of it too; see my rants about the re-releases of the early Ozzy solo records).

If it walks like a duck…etc

She is one of the people I can count on one hand out of 8 billion that I truly feel is just a completely rotten human being inside and out.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Volante99

« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2022, 01:16:04 AM »

If it walks like a duck…etc

She is one of the people I can count on one hand out of 8 billion that I truly feel is just a completely rotten human being inside and out.

Yeah, she’s a peach- from my understanding she more or less poached Ozzy from both his  management AND his wife at the time, proceeds to rip off nearly every talent they work with and (according to rumor and innuendo) tells her children that their grandfather is dead, only reconciling to avoid some sort of litigation. Her father, Don Arden was cutthroat music mogul himself, with apparent mob ties, so clearly it runs in the family.

Credit to where credit is due, she’s managed to spin her story to that of a long suffering wife/manager of an out of control rocker/man-child whom she saved. At least that how I’m sure the biopic will present the story.

On the flip side Ozzy’s had a career that has spanned over 50 years now and Sharon was a primary driver in that. Not a small feat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2022, 12:26:39 PM »
https://eddietrunk.com/ozzy-osbourne-says-he-doesnt-want-to-die-in-america/

THIS IS NOT POLITICAL, NOR IS IT ABOUT THE ARTICLE TITLE.

It's all about the tone and the underlying message; is it just me or is the "I'll die on stage!" thing ring hollow, kind of like when you visit your uncle who's down to 65 pounds because of chemo and they say 'we're going to beat this" and you say "sure we are!" because you know it's the right thing to say, but you know in your heart we're counting the days/weeks.  I'm not saying Ozzy has only days or weeks to go, but I think the idea of him touring is past.  I think he's in worse shape physically than he's letting on.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2022, 12:44:24 PM »
At the end of the day, I just think he's "going home".

Offline HOF

« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2022, 01:07:34 PM »

He told his momma he’s coming home.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2022, 01:09:59 PM »
 :lol

Nice!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2022, 01:20:34 PM »

He told his momma he’s coming home.

:lol He did it twice the last time I saw him (seriously, he played the song, said he wasn't happy with his performance and the entire band played the song completely again).

But I feel like I'm with Stads.  I can't see him doing full tours again.  A show here or there, but all that travel and constantly performning?  I can't imagine his body could hold up. 

But maybe that is exactly what he wants?  To get on tour and legit die on stage during a show?