Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)  (Read 256220 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rise of Skywalker / Mandalorian (merged)
« Reply #4025 on: May 05, 2024, 08:08:15 AM »
Went to see the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Menace in the theater last night with my two oldest sons. I actually always liked that movie. Not perfect by any means, but still really enjoyable. The lightsaber fight with Maul is the best lightsaver fight in any Star Wars film or show. Also, every time I watch TPM, I am sad that we didn't get three films of Maul being Palpy's apprentice. Such a shame they "killed" him off. Dooku was a stupid replacement.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #4026 on: May 06, 2024, 07:31:05 AM »
Went to see the 25th anniversary of The Phantom Menace in the theater last night with my two oldest sons. I actually always liked that movie. Not perfect by any means, but still really enjoyable. The lightsaber fight with Maul is the best lightsaver fight in any Star Wars film or show. Also, every time I watch TPM, I am sad that we didn't get three films of Maul being Palpy's apprentice. Such a shame they "killed" him off. Dooku was a stupid replacement.
Can you believe it's been 25 years? I remember going to see it as part of a school trip when I was just a kid.

I watched it a few years ago and thought it had its merits but is still ultimately quite dull overall. I feel like it got too much hate originally but the pendulum has perhaps swung a bit too far in the other direction now. I sometimes hear the term "Misunderstood Masterpieces" with regards to the prequels, which I think is a bit much. My opinion is that Phantom Menace has a lot of good ideas but generally mixed execution.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4027 on: May 06, 2024, 08:02:36 AM »

That was one of my thought as well, as cool was Christopher Lee, it should have been kinda natural that Darth Maul would be the "second bad guy" of the prequel trilogy, the face of the Sith the Jedi would see while Palpatine was working both sides behind everyone's back; they still could have had an awesome duel in Phantom Menace with Maul suffering a tactical defeat and escaping somehow, and eventually he could have been the one to be killed at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

I understand that, for the political side of the story, a more refined character like Dooku was needed, Maul was just a thug and a brute enforcer, but there could have been ways to tell that kind of story and have Maul survive. It would be a natural progression - Anakin defeats Maul, one of the villains of the prequel trilogy, and then takes his place as Palpatine's apprentice and becomes the villain of the prequel trilogy.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4028 on: May 06, 2024, 10:08:04 AM »
That was one of my thought as well, as cool was Christopher Lee, it should have been kinda natural that Darth Maul would be the "second bad guy" of the prequel trilogy, the face of the Sith the Jedi would see while Palpatine was working both sides behind everyone's back; they still could have had an awesome duel in Phantom Menace with Maul suffering a tactical defeat and escaping somehow, and eventually he could have been the one to be killed at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

I understand that, for the political side of the story, a more refined character like Dooku was needed, Maul was just a thug and a brute enforcer, but there could have been ways to tell that kind of story and have Maul survive. It would be a natural progression - Anakin defeats Maul, one of the villains of the prequel trilogy, and then takes his place as Palpatine's apprentice and becomes the villain of the prequel trilogy.

Especially given that the lore has now changed a bit with the content from TCW's where we've learned that Dooku wasn't really 'all in' on the Sith thing anyway. He was using the Emperor as much as the Emperor was using him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4029 on: May 06, 2024, 10:33:10 AM »
We watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back on the Fourth.  So good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4030 on: May 06, 2024, 10:44:23 AM »
I'm sure some or most of you have seen that SC38 Reimagined duel between Kenobi and Vader.....if not, the link is below. It's really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #4031 on: May 06, 2024, 07:00:43 PM »
Especially given that the lore has now changed a bit with the content from TCW's where we've learned that Dooku wasn't really 'all in' on the Sith thing anyway. He was using the Emperor as much as the Emperor was using him.
All that certainly makes Dooku a more interesting character, but none of that was in the movies. He was fairly dull in what we got.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #4032 on: May 06, 2024, 07:13:43 PM »
Always wondered who voiced Hemlock in Bad Batch as the character has a voice you just want to punch. So smug. Looked it up and I cannot believe that Jimmi Simpson voices him. Talk about a surprise. Sounds absolutely nothing like him.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4033 on: May 13, 2024, 04:09:49 PM »
Watched ‘Tales of the Empire’. It was alright. Good to see Barriss Offee get a redemption arc and curious to see if there is anything further on that front moving forward either in animation or Live action.

But a massive eye roll in the second to last episode with the ‘choice’ of terminology when discussing a fallen Jedi. Disney just can’t help themselves….. got to get those PC and woke points.