Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 167571 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #840 on: October 22, 2012, 01:59:39 PM »
Maybe you should spoiler those lines above. They make it easy for bosk1 to deduce when the reveals are coming.

...but you must be wrong about when the writers were determining who was who.  They must have known at least some by early in the third season (where bosk1 is).  Some people even think they knew considerably earlier on one of the remaining.  At least one does seem like it was left to the last hour before the reveal.  Of course, the writers could have left a variety of red herrings in the show that could possibly play out to be 'valid' hints.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #841 on: October 22, 2012, 02:04:08 PM »
Really?  That's shocking to me that something that appears to be such a major plot point would be undecided until so late in the game.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #842 on: October 22, 2012, 02:08:52 PM »
Hopefully we return to this when they are revealed.  Can't really talk about possible hints towards the final five without giving them away. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #843 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:59 PM »
You might be right, yorost.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #844 on: October 22, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
No problem.  (Although one of them was really already outed by Head 6 much earlier--wish I could find the quote).
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #845 on: October 22, 2012, 02:58:31 PM »
I absolutely love the show....but the concept of the final five and how the other Cylons weren't supposed to talk about them bothered me.  If they were created, then why even program them to even know that there are the "final five" and that you're not supposed to talk about them?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #846 on: October 22, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
I take it you're holding back on who you saw as a Cylon in case you were wrong?

Who did 6 out?  I don't recall anything involving her, I'm curious.

I think at the point you are at fans have found hints for four of the five.  The question is if the writers were just giving themselves blank opportunities, had an idea who they wanted to be cylons, chose the final five to fit what they had previously laid as red herrings, or if it was accidental stuff fans found.  I personally think Ron Moore had an inkling to who would be chosen early on but didn't share.  It was admitted true for at least one of them, doesn't seem far fetched it was true for one or two others.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #847 on: October 22, 2012, 03:00:53 PM »
I absolutely love the show....but the concept of the final five and how the other Cylons weren't supposed to talk about them bothered me.  If they were created, then why even program them to even know that there are the "final five" and that you're not supposed to talk about them?
Bosk1 has not seen much involving the final five so we're currently avoiding spoilers.  How much have you seen?  The series answered those questions.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #848 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
Oh I've seen the entire series several times.  What bothered me was I just thought the reasoning for it was weak.

(Possible Spoiler Alert)

As was much of the fourth season IMO

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #849 on: October 22, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
I take it you're holding back on who you saw as a Cylon in case you were wrong?

Who did 6 out?  I don't recall anything involving her, I'm curious.

I think at the point you are at fans have found hints for four of the five.  The question is if the writers were just giving themselves blank opportunities, had an idea who they wanted to be cylons, chose the final five to fit what they had previously laid as red herrings, or if it was accidental stuff fans found.  I personally think Ron Moore had an inkling to who would be chosen early on but didn't share.  It was admitted true for at least one of them, doesn't seem far fetched it was true for one or two others.

****SPOILERS [for people who may be viewing the thread who haven't seen it yet]****

6 outed Ellen in Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down.  Can't remember what she said, but she basically told Baltar that Ellen was a Cylon.  Of course, Baltar's "Cylon detector" showed green for Ellen.  And the detector seemed to work in showing red for Boomer.  BUT there are a lot of possible exlanations for why the detector didn't read correctly.  I believe Head 6, because she is CLEARLY not just a figment of Baltar's imagination and knows things he doesn't know.  And besides, that was one of the spoilers I saw, so I know I'm right about it.  :biggrin: 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #850 on: October 22, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
OH THE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since we're talking about this, I'll just say that when Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down was written, I'm 99% certain the writers didn't actually know if Ellen was going to be a Cylon.  Head Six loves to play with Baltar's mind.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #851 on: October 22, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
Head Six loves to play with Baltar's mind.

Obviously.  But I can't think of a single instance in which she actually lied to him.

Offline Marion Crane

« Reply #852 on: October 22, 2012, 03:17:37 PM »

Since we're talking about this, I'll just say that when Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down was written, I'm 99% certain the writers didn't actually know if Ellen was going to be a Cylon.  Head Six loves to play with Baltar's mind.

The writers definitely didn't know.  They didn't even have the concept yet of the final five. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #853 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »
I guess I'll see when I get there, but even if they didn't have the "concept of the final five" in mind at that point, I find it hard to believe that they hadn't determined that she was Cylon, even if they didn't have anything more than that fleshed out.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #854 on: October 22, 2012, 03:24:00 PM »
Ohhhh, THAT Six. :lol  Also, It could be noted that Baltar suggests he may have faked that test, too, if I recall.  Ellen was the character long hinted at being a Cylon. Moore stated he thought he would make her one from pretty early on.  The fact that she showed up out of the blue like that really is highly suspicious, too.

The writers definitely didn't know.  They didn't even have the concept yet of the final five. 
I said it above, but to say it again...  Moore knew from when he introduced her he thought she would become a Cylon.  He was quoted somewhere saying that had been what he wanted.  They didn't finalize it until closer to her reveal, but they were definitely leaning in that direction for a long time.

It was something they could have dropped, but they had definitely planted seeds.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #855 on: October 22, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »
Ohhhh, THAT Six. :lol  Also, It could be noted that Baltar suggests he may have faked that test, too, if I recall.  Ellen was the character long hinted at being a Cylon. Moore stated he thought he would make her one from pretty early on.  The fact that she showed up out of the blue like that really is highly suspicious, too.

I said it above, but to say it again...  Moore knew from when he introduced her he thought she would become a Cylon.  He was quoted somewhere saying that had been what he wanted.  They didn't finalize it until closer to her reveal, but they were definitely leaning in that direction for a long time.

For t3h realz?
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #856 on: October 22, 2012, 03:32:30 PM »
:number6:

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #857 on: October 22, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
I don't know why you're mocking me ReaPsTA.  No they didn't know 100%, but they've clearly stated they had the idea to make her a Cylon the whole way.  She was one of the most speculated characters to be a Cylon and the powers that be also said she was an easy choice despite not finalizing it until late.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 05:49:03 PM by yorost »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #858 on: October 23, 2012, 12:34:01 AM »
I don't know why you're mocking me ReaPsTA.  No they didn't know 100%, but they've clearly stated they had the idea to make her a Cylon the whole way.  She was one of the most speculated characters to be a Cylon and the powers that be also said she was an easy choice despite not finalizing it until late.

:eek

Oh fuck.  Sorry.  No mocking intended.  Being potentially wrong makes me unable to spell properly.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #859 on: October 23, 2012, 08:50:30 AM »
Why did Three tell the centurion to erase its own memory after shooting her?  Since there would be a dead body with a bullet hole in its head and she would have to go through the resurrection process, her "death" would not exactly be a secret.  Why the cover up?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #860 on: October 23, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
:eek

Oh fuck.  Sorry.  No mocking intended.  Being potentially wrong makes me unable to spell properly.
Ah, ok, here's an official communique from Bradley Thompson.  ...bosk1 AWAY!

Out of curosity, how long have you guys known who the final five are? I know Ron Moore's made comments that indicate that these were more recent decisions, but I was just curious at what point did you guys decide on who were going to be Cylons, and what really went into that decision. Thanks! ColonelKevin 16:55, 27 March 2007 (CDT)
Four of the five were recent. If memory serves, the fifth (which may change) we've been kicking around since about the end of Season One. -- Ngarenn 22:08, 15 June 2007 (CDT)

Obviously, Ellen is the reference, who was introduced around the end of season 1, and she was the front runner well before they made the final decision.  When they've talked about it in most places they haven't gotten into when they started thinking about the characters, just how the final decisions came about.  This sort of leads to the question of what hints prior to season 3 were really hints?  Probably none exactly, but they could easily lay stuff down to use later.  Ellen is a great example, they left her ambiguous to the fans but in the show everyone thought her proven human.  They could go either way on her and it would basically fit that episode, though looking back her as a Cylon fits the ending better.

Anyways, when exactly did they start thinking about each character?  We know when they made the decisions, but not necessarily when any of them were floating in the producers mind.  Two of the other five seem like they may have been thinking that route prior to season 3.  Maybe the clues were unintentional, maybe red herrings, maybe just leaving some options open, who knows.  If I recall those two were already pretty popular guesses, though.

spoilers
These two were all but outed during season 3, pretty close to where bosk1 is currently watching.  They definitely knew these two by early in season 3.

Anyways, one other may have had a hint prior to where bosk1 is.  It fits, could be coincidence.  Then one was, as far as I know, completely out of the blue.  I wonder if they made that pick as late as possible.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #861 on: October 23, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »
Why did Three tell the centurion to erase its own memory after shooting her?  Since there would be a dead body with a bullet hole in its head and she would have to go through the resurrection process, her "death" would not exactly be a secret.  Why the cover up?
Maybe to protect the centurion?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #862 on: October 23, 2012, 09:12:37 AM »
Maybe to protect the centurion?

???  That makes no sense to me. 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #863 on: October 23, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
Remember why is Three doing that? She's not suppose to dig into that subject!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #864 on: October 23, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
It's AI, if it killed her it might be viewed as a crime so she protects a sentient being.

It could also to try and make sure there is no trace to the fact that she wanted to be shot.  ...or in case she revealed anything. :dunno:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #865 on: October 23, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »
It could also to try and make sure there is no trace to the fact that she wanted to be shot.
That's how I looked at it, since the Significant Seven aren't suppose to be digging into the Final Five.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #866 on: October 23, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
Well, now that you mention it, there is the obvious unanswered (so far) question of why she wanted to be shot at all.  But I have no clue what, if anything, that has to do with the final five.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #867 on: October 23, 2012, 09:27:44 AM »
...fuck

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #868 on: October 23, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »
She had just been part of a disturbing dream where she asked to be shot.  Given that and the scenes that followed, I think the assumption is she felt something was hidden in her dreams.  If nothing else, it was worth a shot!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:36:28 AM by yorost »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #869 on: October 24, 2012, 07:29:27 AM »
Ugh.  The Final Five is definitely the worst non-finale aspect of BSG.  Just so many miscalculations.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #870 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:04 AM »
The only problem I have with the final five arc so far is...well, actually nothing.  :sosayweall:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #871 on: October 24, 2012, 11:17:12 AM »
:tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: October 24, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »
The only problem I have with the final five arc so far is...well, actually nothing.  :sosayweall:

That's my reaction to lots of GuineaPig's "problems" with the series  :biggrin:

(Love ya, GP)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #873 on: October 24, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »
That's my reaction to lots of GuineaPig's "problems" with just about anything.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #874 on: October 24, 2012, 11:35:45 AM »
That's my reaction to lots of GuineaPig's "problems" with just about anything.
It's like you read my mind! :lol :lol