Author Topic: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3  (Read 120774 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Things I find a tad exasperating v.3
« Reply #315 on: September 16, 2021, 01:20:18 PM »
HAHA, there's a house in Enfield that is the opposite; it's a door but there's no balcony there!    I don't get over there much but if I do I'll try to take a picture.
Apartments across from me have some of those (there are like 27 different floorplans). It's a door, and the railing from a balcony just to make sure somebody doesn't actually try and go out the door.  :lol

Look at the ones on the left, then the ones on the right: Stupidly long link
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #316 on: September 16, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »
"Cheers", man.  The Thanksgiving episode.  Classic Sam Malone.
Sam's greatest moment was in an episode called Dinner at Eight-ish." Frasier and Lilith have Sam and Dianne over as the first guests at their new home together. Throughout the evening Frasier, Lilith, and Diane all freak out about various things, and Sam never once loses his calm and collected demeanor. Absolutely nothing can phase the guy. Unflappable is a wonderful quality that not enough people possess. Too many people can't tolerate awkward situations even when they're but observers to the intrigue. Consider one of Seinfeld's funniest moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjKpPerVuU0

Jerry and George leave just as things are turning interesting. Gotta learn to be a passive observer for the sake of entertainment, or if nothing else, morbid curiosity.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #317 on: September 16, 2021, 01:41:03 PM »
HAHA, there's a house in Enfield that is the opposite; it's a door but there's no balcony there!    I don't get over there much but if I do I'll try to take a picture.
Apartments across from me have some of those (there are like 27 different floorplans). It's a door, and the railing from a balcony just to make sure somebody doesn't actually try and go out the door.  :lol

HAHAHA that made me blink a couple times.  I can sort of see why they did that; it would look stupid otherwise. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: September 16, 2021, 01:42:50 PM »
I never really loved Cheers. Seen plenty of it though.

WHAT?!?  :) :)

I love the episode where Sam proposes to Diane in the office, and she says no, but because she wants something more romantic.  So he takes her to dinner, rents out a boat in the harbor, gets down on one knee and proposes... and she says no.   :)   

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #319 on: September 16, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »

HAHAHA that made me blink a couple times.  I can sort of see why they did that; it would look stupid otherwise.
It's a textbook example of capitalism at its finest. In terms of cost, adding balconies to those units would have been essentially nothing. In fact, taking planning and design into consideration, it may have actually cost a little bit more to exclude them. Yet it was necessary for them to have units of differing value. Gotta have entry level and premium options. My hunch is that both the balcony and non-balcony units also come with or without stainless steel appliances. Gotta muddy the waters to prevent comparative shopping. Those four units (plus the two below them) probably represent 6 different pricing models featuring various amounts of manufactured value.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2021, 03:26:36 PM »
When people "like" my text message.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2021, 03:47:17 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2021, 03:47:56 PM »
Dick.

:p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2021, 07:01:23 AM »

I love this feature tbh

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »
I feel like this feature may be different based on phone?  I get a seperate message saying "so and so" like your message which is stupid and annoying af.  If it were just like a thumbs up icon in the text like you see on social media, I wouldn't care.  I'm guessing maybe it is this way for iphone users and not for android?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2021, 11:04:06 AM »

I love this feature tbh

Me too.  It gives you the option of indicating to the other person that you actually looked at it without actually needing to type something in response.

What I don't like is when you're on a group chat and someone "likes" a text and it broadcasts back to everyone on the chat that so-and-so "liked the text" and then quotes the text that was liked.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
I feel like this feature may be different based on phone?  I get a seperate message saying "so and so" like your message which is stupid and annoying af.  If it were just like a thumbs up icon in the text like you see on social media, I wouldn't care.  I'm guessing maybe it is this way for iphone users and not for android?

I'm pretty sure that's how it is - I have an android phone and certain people will "like" my text messages.  I assumed it was an iphone thing. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2021, 11:58:02 AM »
You can "like" texts on iPhone too. It's called Tapbacks. You can do thumbs up or hearts or !! or ?? or HAHA.

Basically replying without actually replying.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2021, 12:17:48 PM »
I hate when my cousin gives me the "Thumbs up" on Messenger.  Can't muscle a few letters together?  Especially when he's a Grammar Nazi.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #330 on: September 27, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
I'm really not understanding the hate here. It's nothing personal if I just send back a thumbs up. It's one of my most commonly used emojis.

My dad texts me "I'll be at your house at 5:15 for golf" (We have some sort of exchange like this every Friday night).

What does it matter which of the following get's used?
- "K"
- "ok"
- "okay"
- "👍"
- "Cool"
- "Alright"
- "Sounds good"
- "Sure"

The point is to convey to the other party that the message was received and there are no objections. Mission accomplished.

I have dialogs like this many times a week. We're texting to begin with. It's already agreed upon by society that formality is optional in like 99% of contexts. When my oldest buddy says "swing by anytime after 7:30 this Friday", I'm not going to reply "Sounds great, Matt. Thanks! Looking forward to hanging!". I just send a "👍". I won't speak to him again until days later when I'm leaving and send the "Need anything from the packy?" text. It's a great system. I like to limit my texting.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 12:52:41 PM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #331 on: September 27, 2021, 12:52:49 PM »
I don't have any issue with the above example.  I use the thumbs up emoji a lot to acknowledge a message that I don't really have anything else to add.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #332 on: September 27, 2021, 01:11:03 PM »
I don't have any issue with the above example.  I use the thumbs up emoji a lot to acknowledge a message that I don't really have anything else to add.

But that's not every time like my cousin does to me.

I giggle too when I post something and everyone else laughs and my cousin gives me the thumbs up.  He's allergic to the laugh emoji.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: September 27, 2021, 01:16:28 PM »
What's worse is i'll text my bro some good news i've had.

Then a week later I literally get " (: "

Then he tells me all his news instead. Great lets talk all about you.

It's like he replies the absolute bare minimum to feign interest and then blabs on and on about how great HIS business is going.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: September 27, 2021, 02:01:32 PM »
I'm really not understanding the hate here. It's nothing personal if I just send back a thumbs up. It's one of my most commonly used emojis.

My dad texts me "I'll be at your house at 5:15 for golf" (We have some sort of exchange like this every Friday night).

What does it matter which of the following get's used?
- "K"
- "ok"
- "okay"
- "👍"
- "Cool"
- "Alright"
- "Sounds good"
- "Sure"

The point is to convey to the other party that the message was received and there are no objections. Mission accomplished.

I have dialogs like this many times a week. We're texting to begin with. It's already agreed upon by society that formality is optional in like 99% of contexts. When my oldest buddy says "swing by anytime after 7:30 this Friday", I'm not going to reply "Sounds great, Matt. Thanks! Looking forward to hanging!". I just send a "👍". I won't speak to him again until days later when I'm leaving and send the "Need anything from the packy?" text. It's a great system. I like to limit my texting.

:tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: September 27, 2021, 09:08:35 PM »
It isn't the quick one-work text, ok, emoji, thumbs up, I don't mind those at all. I get that this is my issue, there is just something so impersonal about getting a response to a text saying the recipient "liked" your message.

What set me off on writing this was a neighbor texted me asking when my kid's birthday party was. I typed "2 o'clock" then put my phone in my pocket and resumed what I was doing. A minute later my phone beeped so I pulled it out and saw that neighbor "liked" my message. Whatever. Back in the pocket, back to work. Another minute later, another beep, so I take it out again and see a message from her "thanks for letting me know." What the crap is that about? You had to "like" my message, and then respond to it in a separate text?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: September 28, 2021, 05:35:05 AM »
I seriously didn't know you could like a text.  I have a Samsung Android though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #337 on: September 30, 2021, 05:21:45 AM »
People who use "bois" instead of "boys".
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #338 on: September 30, 2021, 06:20:07 AM »

No worse than “boyz”.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #339 on: September 30, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »

No worse than “boyz”.

I with you on both, though.  I don't get it.  Is it cool to be dumb?  Is that the angle?  Or too cool for (grammar) rules?

Then again, I don't get the whole "text" language.  Is the idea "2 B in B4 ur an idiot?" 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2021, 08:37:20 AM »

No worse than “boyz”.

I with you on both, though.  I don't get it.  Is it cool to be dumb?  Is that the angle?  Or too cool for (grammar) rules?

Then again, I don't get the whole "text" language.  Is the idea "2 B in B4 ur an idiot?"

Yup.  SMH my BFF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
Text speak is hilarious to take the piss out of.

I don't think anyone aged 30 or above should use "lol". You just sound like a caveman. As someone now will do because people can't help themselves.

Like - on twitter when you're trying to make a well thought out point and someone replies with a GIF and that's supposed to prove me wrong or something.

Then - the next step is you say you dislike people replying with GIFs cause it stops the conversation DEAD. ***

And - someone replies with a GIF. 100% every time like they're the first person to do so and it's so hilarious.

And now someone will reply here with a GIF. not in a " well you did ask for it way " but more in a " i literally cant help myself " way.

Because you cannot help yourself. You HAVE to.

Yes. YOU. Reading this. You're looking for the GIF right now.

*** It's the same line of thinking as "funny" birthday cards. It's like ' I didn't make this or think of the joke - I just signed it cause I have no imagination ".

My brother and I get each other completely stupid birthday cards which actually will make each other laugh.

Like " Birthday Girl !" with a " I AM 5" Badge. Jus stupid childish stuff. NOT " LOL i bought this card cause it says DICKS on it "

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2021, 08:44:28 AM »
Selfish drivers in New York (and I'm sure many other places). The amount of times I've seen drivers completely avoid traffic, illegally, and then push their way ahead at the end of it, thus causing more traffic for everyone else, is staggering. Nothing I can do about it so I tend to just watch, but it's more sad than anything else I guess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2021, 08:56:39 AM »
Selfish drivers in New York (and I'm sure many other places). The amount of times I've seen drivers completely avoid traffic, illegally, and then push their way ahead at the end of it, thus causing more traffic for everyone else, is staggering. Nothing I can do about it so I tend to just watch, but it's more sad than anything else I guess.

The NY drivers I see in NJ are the worst.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2021, 08:59:06 AM »
warflwwcesfw.
That's meme-speak for "We are really f*****g lazy when we can't eve say full words".

Offline Adami

« Reply #345 on: September 30, 2021, 09:00:17 AM »

The NJ drivers I see in NY are the worst.  :rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #346 on: September 30, 2021, 09:13:09 AM »
How do you guys define bad drivers? Bad as in they don't follow the rules of the road, or bad as in they're actually terrible at the act of driving?

In CT, I feel like we're good drivers for the most part, but we're terrible at following the laws.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 30, 2021, 09:21:23 AM »
How do you guys define bad drivers? Bad as in they don't follow the rules of the road, or bad as in they're actually terrible at the act of driving?

In CT, I feel like we're good drivers for the most part, but we're terrible at following the laws.

Both.  If you don't follow the laws and are driving poorly, you are a bad driver IMO.  NYers tend to stick in the left lane and never move over even if they aren't passing anyone.  They also cut you off and then drive slow  :lol  I know Im grouping all NYers together, but it's so consistent.  My NY coworker even agrees with me.  When we drive to lunch together that it's always the NYers causing issues.

The NJ drivers I see in NY are the worst.  :rollin

:lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #348 on: September 30, 2021, 09:23:37 AM »

I am not sure. When I specifically speak of it, this time at least, I'm speaking more of really selfish drivers. The kind that gladly cut off a whole long row of traffic because they didn't feel like waiting in it like everyone else. The kind who will block a whole lane of traffic to switch lanes right before an exit and there's no room (again, cause they didn't feel like waiting) or the kind who stop to double park, or turn, but don't indicate or signal and thus I have no idea what they're doing or why they're slowing down/stopping out of nowhere.

Sometimes it's really not malicious, but it happens SO often that it can't always be an accident or innocent.

Also Cram is totally right on the idea of NY drivers going slow in the left lane and rarely moving over for anyone and also cutting you off (constantly) and going slowly.

I never let it make a worse driver though. I never try to match them for tit for tat. I still signal when I switch lanes/turn, I won't completely circumvent traffic, thus causing everyone else to wait even longer, etc. Though I will drive slowly in the left hand lane if I think Cram is behind me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #349 on: September 30, 2021, 09:29:04 AM »

The driving in the city has been out of control since last summer. It's ridiculous. You end up needing to get out of their way even if you are following driving rules. I mentioned on the pissed off thread but my car got hit 2 weekends ago (luckily I could still drive it). It was a hit-and-run overnight, while my car was parked. Dropped it off yesterday at the shop and they are keeping it for 2 weeks.

Bad driver for me are those that don't follow traffic rules. Constant speeding (even in heavy traffic), constant lane changing, cutting people off and just dangerous driving all around.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk