Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 917339 times)

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
Re: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - COVER ART/TRACK LIST on p. 5
« Reply #4900 on: August 06, 2013, 08:09:50 AM »
Who's the resident CSI filter guy, again? In the very link blob posted there is the possibility to zoom in on the inside of the vinyl package and see some lyrics for "The Looking Glass"!  :yarr

The image is just like the single stream. Way too compressed to get any details.

Greetings...
Nef

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4901 on: August 06, 2013, 08:36:32 AM »
Damn, if the only thing on the bonus DVD in the deluxe edition is a 5.1 mix of the album, I might just go for the standard edition.  I'll never listen to it on a surround system.  I'm way too poor to go for the box set, and although "Take this for the Pain" looks interesting, it'll probably be on Youtube soon enough.

Anyone else notice that a "The Bigger Picture" 7" comes with the box set?  Sounds like it'll probably be the second single.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4902 on: August 06, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »

- "Take This For The Pain (Mike Mangini Audition Improv Jam)" - 30 minute documentary. :omg: :omg:

OH. MUH. GAWD.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Spark Mandrill

• Lightning King of the Bullet Fists
« Reply #4903 on: August 06, 2013, 08:41:47 AM »
I'll definitely be getting the Collector's Edition. I'm probably a bit too excited for this record - I didn't expect anything from ADTOE and was pleasantly surprised. Based on The Enemy Inside, I feel like I can't hype it up enough. I like the single more than the past three early releases.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #4904 on: August 06, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
I honestly can't justify the price tag on that box set. :( I'll be getting the regular CD and trying to save a bit of money so the tour tickets/DVD won't gouge me so badly. COLLEGE?? WHO NEEDS COLLEGE?? THE ONLY THING IS DREAM THEATER.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #4905 on: August 06, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »
Damn, if the only thing on the bonus DVD in the deluxe edition is a 5.1 mix of the album, I might just go for the standard edition.  I'll never listen to it on a surround system.  I'm way too poor to go for the box set, and although "Take this for the Pain" looks interesting, it'll probably be on Youtube soon enough.

This is pretty much where I am at as well.  I don't have a 5.1 sound system to listen to the album on, so the deluxe edition seems pointless to me.  I would really like to see the MM jam, but spending $100 to see it seems crazy, especially since I could take or leave pretty much every thing else in the Box Set, as I don't have a record player for vinyls. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4906 on: August 06, 2013, 08:46:22 AM »
Have they said what's on the bonus DVD yet?

The album in 5.1

AND THATS IT.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4907 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:13 AM »
I don't really understand how a LP could include FLAC files. Other than that, I'm so getting this, like I got the last 2 limited editions.

The vinyl version includes a download of the full album as high quality FLAC files. It's more clear on the product image on this link-
https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/dream-theater-dream-theater-vinyl-2xlp.html
They just copied the same text verbatim into the boxset description, so it looks confusing that it's described on the same line as the LPs, but it's not related to the LP itself, hence it looking confusing.

Has anyone considered that, if they're giving a download of FLAC files with the box set, those will actually be stems? Or is that possibility negated by the fact that they're specifically stating the inclusion of the Behind the Veil stem? Cause if I remember correctly, on BC&SL the stem files were FLAC.

I honestly can't justify the price tag on that box set. :( I'll be getting the regular CD and trying to save a bit of money so the tour tickets/DVD won't gouge me so badly. COLLEGE?? WHO NEEDS COLLEGE?? THE ONLY THING IS DREAM THEATER.
:tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4908 on: August 06, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »
Have they said what's on the bonus DVD yet?

The album in 5.1

AND THATS IT.

Huh. Probably won't be getting that.

lolcollege :P

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4909 on: August 06, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
I don't really understand how a LP could include FLAC files. Other than that, I'm so getting this, like I got the last 2 limited editions.

The vinyl version includes a download of the full album as high quality FLAC files. It's more clear on the product image on this link-
https://store.roadrunnerrecords.com/dream-theater-dream-theater-vinyl-2xlp.html
They just copied the same text verbatim into the boxset description, so it looks confusing that it's described on the same line as the LPs, but it's not related to the LP itself, hence it looking confusing.

Has anyone considered that, if they're giving a download of FLAC files with the box set, those will actually be stems? Or is that possibility negated by the fact that they're specifically stating the inclusion of the Behind the Veil stem? Cause if I remember correctly, on BC&SL the stem files were FLAC.

Pretty sure the mention of the Behind The Veil stems would negate that, as you said. The BCASL stems were actually WAV, although I'm not sure it would really matter, since both are lossless formats.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4910 on: August 06, 2013, 08:52:24 AM »
As much as I want the Box set, I'll probably do what I did for ADTOE... Vinyl + Digital. :JayOctavarium:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #4911 on: August 06, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
I would love FLAC files of the album, but if it isn't even sure that the FLAC files are the tracks, then I'm certainly not going to buy it.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4912 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
I would love FLAC files of the album, but if it isn't even sure that the FLAC files are the tracks, then I'm certainly not going to buy it.

I think we're more not sure whether the FLAC files are simply FLAC versions of each song, or if they are actual FLAC files of the stems of each instrument from each song. I was hoping for the latter, desperately, but it looks to not be the case. :/ Prolly getting the box set anyway though....   :P

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4913 on: August 06, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »
Anyone else notice that a "The Bigger Picture" 7" comes with the box set?  Sounds like it'll probably be the second single.

Interestingly enough, the label on the extra vinyl in the picture says "The Enemy Inside", not "The Bigger Picture". They should probably update the description.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4914 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:30 AM »
I may be late to the party here, but I've noticed that recent pics of the DT cover add the band name logo, which we haven't seen on this album before.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4915 on: August 06, 2013, 10:21:13 AM »
I noticed that as well.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #4916 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
I think that's simply for the "eyecatching factor" on the online store, but not part of the actual artwork. I can imagine a sticker with the band name ending up on the jewel case however.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4917 on: August 06, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »
I think that's simply for the "eyecatching factor" on the online store, but not part of the actual artwork. I can imagine a sticker with the band name ending up on the jewel case however.
This. Kvelertak do the same thing, the wrap has a sticker on it with the band logo, and I usually peel it off carefully and now I have a sticker  :D

Offline Nest777

« Reply #4918 on: August 06, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
Custom 2GB USB stick in the shape of the Majesty Symbol containing:

Isolated stems of “Behind The Veil.” Fans are encouraged to post their remixes; prizing to be awarded; details forthcoming.

www.dreamtheater.warnerartists.net/en/catalog/product/view/id/43631?eml=2013August6%2F751679%2F6128938

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #4919 on: August 06, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
Custom 2GB USB stick in the shape of the Majesty Symbol containing:

Isolated stems of “Behind The Veil.” Fans are encouraged to post their remixes; prizing to be awarded; details forthcoming.

www.dreamtheater.warnerartists.net/en/catalog/product/view/id/43631?eml=2013August6%2F751679%2F6128938

We need a dance remix of it, like the POW remix in that iPod commercial.  :lol
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4920 on: August 06, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
No studio doc?  :'(
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

« Reply #4921 on: August 06, 2013, 12:03:12 PM »
Is anyone else more disappointed that there are no instrumental remixes? BC&SL and ADTOE really spoiled me, so I was practically expecting them.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4922 on: August 06, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
Is anyone else more disappointed that there are no instrumental remixes? BC&SL and ADTOE really spoiled me, so I was practically expecting them.

Yeah i would love to see instrumental mixes in the deluxe edition instead of a 5.1 mix which i think is a bit useless.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #4923 on: August 06, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »

LOL my lil sis said exactly the same thing :D
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4924 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

I'm more disappointed about there not being stems. For me, instrumental tracks are nice, and then stems are like the next level up in awesomeness. It's unbelievably helpful when trying to learn DT music to be able to hear JUST the instrument you're focusing on; and then, you can play along to the song MINUS the one instrument you are playing. I've always been a bit bitter that they've only done stems for BC&SL, because that's the one album off of which I don't really care to learn anything  :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4925 on: August 06, 2013, 12:23:50 PM »

I'm more disappointed about there not being stems. For me, instrumental tracks are nice, and then stems are like the next level up in awesomeness. It's unbelievably helpful when trying to learn DT music to be able to hear JUST the instrument you're focusing on; and then, you can play along to the song MINUS the one instrument you are playing. I've always been a bit bitter that they've only done stems for BC&SL, because that's the one album off of which I don't really care to learn anything  :lol

I think we'll never get full album stem tracks from now on, since they sell the songs on Jammit, which is helpful for such purposes.
It's just a much much bigger amount of money to make instead of giving the stems via a way where they can be pirated and distributed easily and for free.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #4926 on: August 06, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I pre-ordered the standard edition. If there were other goodies on the DVD, I would have gotten that, but I don't have my own 5.1 system. My friend who lives with me does however, and also is a fan of DT so he will be getting the 5.1 edition.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4927 on: August 06, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »

I think we'll never get full album stem tracks from now on, since they sell the songs on Jammit, which is helpful for such purposes.
It's just a much much bigger amount of money to make instead of giving the stems via a way where they can be pirated and distributed easily and for free.

I was thinking just that. It saddens me. Jammit is a freakin awesome website, admittedly, so I get that they may make more money that way. However, there is NO way to use/download Jammit tracks for offline use, right? That's why it makes me sad. People find ways to pirate everything, whether it's provided to them on a disc or not... :/

If DT put ALL of the songs from the new album up on Jammit immediately (or very soon) after it releases, then mehhhhhhhbe it's ok with me :P

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #4928 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »

I should make that into a shirt.

« Reply #4929 on: August 06, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
However, there is NO way to use/download Jammit tracks for offline use, right?

I found a way.  :xbones

Been performing DT songs at Karaoke for some time now, thanks to that.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4930 on: August 06, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »
I may have missed it, but is the DVD a DVD-Audio disc or is it lossy Dolby Digital 5.1?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

« Reply #4931 on: August 06, 2013, 01:17:21 PM »
I may have missed it, but is the DVD a DVD-Audio disc or is it lossy Dolby Digital 5.1?

I don't think it's specified. I didn't even know that DVD Audio disc was a thing.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4932 on: August 06, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »
However, there is NO way to use/download Jammit tracks for offline use, right?

I found a way.  :xbones

Been performing DT songs at Karaoke for some time now, thanks to that.

:omg: JELLY

If you do please send me one  :lol

Offline Whatsername

« Reply #4933 on: August 06, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »

I don't actually know how to make shirts. Oh well. It was a good thought!

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #4934 on: August 06, 2013, 02:17:01 PM »

I don't actually know how to make shirts. Oh well. It was a good thought!

zazzle.com is a decent place to design your own t-shirts! :D I can see it now...
COLLEGE?
WHO NEEDS COLLEGE?
THE ONLY THING IS DREAM THEATER  :metal
<insert epic DT logo pic here>