Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 917145 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Well, it is very unlikely to become my #1 album, but never say never. I am pretty sure it won't be my least favourite either. I'll be extremely satisfied it if enters the top 4-5 albums, which I expect to happen  :angel:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I feel the opposite. I feel like I'm going to like it, but it won't be one of my favorites. It feels like this is going to be an okay DT album.
Pretty much what I am expecting, too. Seems realistic aswell.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm expecting it to be a step up from the last album. Closer to the Scenes - Octavarium run than Systematic Chaos & Black Clouds.

I get the feeling they deliberately played it safe last time around and this one they've puled out all the stops.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Putting expectations on music, movies ruin the outcome of listening and watching.  I'd rather go into it with no expectation.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
...I'm not in your list?

</3
Don't worry, I've always thought you're a native speaker!

I hope I'm in Rich's list as well :biggrin:
I don't have an actual list. :lol But yes you would be in it if I made one.

Maybe I should make one and add it to my sig.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Putting expectations on music, movies ruin the outcome of listening and watching.  I'd rather go into it with no expectation.
Having an expectation of some sort is a default position for me, I can't not have an expectation. Luckily this time it's a positive one so I'm not worrying about the album being horrid. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
 :lol

I think we all do that but have you ever gone to a movie so psyched that the movie was a letdown then years later you find that it's real good?  I've done that!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sycsa

For me, the only relevant comparison is with ADTOE. It's one of my favorite albums and I'll be thrilled out of my mind if the new album manages to surpass it. At the same time, if it doesn't surpass it, I'll be pretty disappointed. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I never EXPECT any new record, film, book, TV show, or item of food to be THE BEST OF ALL TIME.  That's just unrealistic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
I never EXPECT any new record, film, book, TV show, or item of food to be THE BEST OF ALL TIME.  That's just unrealistic.

I read that so wrong.. I read "I never expect to record a bosk TV show"  :sadpanda:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
...I'm not in your list?

</3

Cool, thanks! :D

There's no way the new album could be in my top 2, but I'm expecting it to be better than my bottom 4 albums. I'll just have to listen carefully and see how much I enjoy it - neither the hype from the band nor negative reviews shall affect my opinion in advance.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.

I read that so wrong.. I read "I never expect to record a bosk TV show"  :sadpanda:

That's some heavy dyslexia xD

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Ever have any dreams where you think you heard the new music?

Happened to me last night.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!

Yes, it happened to me a few weeks ago. I don't remember it any more of course, but it was actually really good and sounded like a real DT tune.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline Lucien

edit: irreeeelllleeeevanntt
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 07:56:04 AM by Lucien »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
What has that got to do with the new DT album?

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's some heavy dyslexia xD

I know haha, but I'd be happy with a Darth Vader TV show!

Offline krands85

:omg: :omg: :omg: I had a dream I heard (and saw) one of the new songs last night too. Either I was actually there or watching it on TV or something, but JLB and JR came into this darkened room - just looked like someones living room. The song started and I could hear the whole band, even though it was only James and Jordan that were actually there. It started out really awesome, with this cool little twisting, turning JR and JP unison, but slowly it got strangers and stranger. Really weird and experimental. James started dancing about like a maniac in the background, like a hippy doing some new age interpretive dance or something. At this point, the music had become totally sparse and spooky. Then JR went down on his hands and knees and started biting JLB's jeans  :lol :| Don't remember anything else thankfully  ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
I don`t want to disturb anybody. I`m gonna be out of here until 9/24.

There will be official reviews, a single, and maybe snippets. I respect that.

Bye.

Nice.

Offline aprilethereal

Fuck  :lol :rollin :lol

Offline Lucien

:omg: :omg: :omg: I had a dream I heard (and saw) one of the new songs last night too. Either I was actually there or watching it on TV or something, but JLB and JR came into this darkened room - just looked like someones living room. The song started and I could hear the whole band, even though it was only James and Jordan that were actually there. It started out really awesome, with this cool little twisting, turning JR and JP unison, but slowly it got strangers and stranger. Really weird and experimental. James started dancing about like a maniac in the background, like a hippy doing some new age interpretive dance or something. At this point, the music had become totally sparse and spooky. Then JR went down on his hands and knees and started biting JLB's jeans  :lol :| Don't remember anything else thankfully  ;D

I'm trying to imagine what the music would sound like...

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
sooo.. we said that when this thread was gonna hit 100 pages, the single will be released. I guess than in less than 4 hours we'll get the single? :justjen
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow

Ah I would have that before ADTOE came out. Hasn't happened yet for this album, but I'm sure it's Only a Matter of Time

Offline Lucien

sooo.. we said that when this thread was gonna hit 100 pages, the single will be released. I guess than in less than 4 hours we'll get the single? :justjen

Preferably.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
On a Saturday? Not a chance at all. Announcements are almost exclusively made on weekdays.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline dongringo

As far as the subject of having expectations of the new album, my expectation so far is positive based solely on the song titles and cover art, which I love. As far as the music itself, I have 0 expectations at the moment, but once some official reviews start popping up I'm sure that will mold my expectations as to the music itself to a degree. As far as my hope for the new album, I'm hoping for more of an Octavarium type sound since that is by far my favorite album. So if it's similar in a way to Octavarium, although I know it will be different, I'll be overjoyed.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning
Mangini in the studio has raised my expectations a couple of notches. 

Offline Frank

On a Saturday? Not a chance at all. Announcements are almost exclusively made on weekdays.

What is the PR benefit of that?
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
A weekday is " sooon......"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

What is the PR benefit of that?

Facebook activity shows the most people spend time on Facebook around 1pm (during lunch break) and at around 6-8pm (after they get home/dinner whatever) on weekdays. The internet, or social media for that matter, is used mostly as a pastime during work, or just after work hours. In weekends people have other stuff to do, besides their usual chores and thus they spend less time on the internet. That's why major announcements for basically anything are always made on weekdays, preferably at the beginning of a week, and never in weekends.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline dparrott

This question needs to be asked on a daily basis, if not hourly.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline liran95

IMO, in the album studios James sounds amazing in all of them.
But live? I really think he'd lost something since Score era.
God knows how much I disagree with you!
Don't worry, he'll probably change his mind when LALP comes out :)

I really hope so :)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
...I'm not in your list?

</3

That would be the "good english non-native speakers/sexin' later" list.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing