Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 915445 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
It's confirmed there will be a single! In other news, it was also confirmed that John Petrucci will in fact be playing the guitars on this album.

lol blob stop trolling did rr actually confirm that?

You got me. :blush

It's speculation based on the fact JP said he wanted his guitar to sound like chocolate cake. Based on that, I can gather that he likes chocolate cake. Chocolate cake has ingredients in it. The majority of ingredients are bought from stores. Some stores also sell musical equipment, including guitars. In another recent interview, JP said he plays guitar, so I think he bought one at the same time as he bought the chocolate cake. Therefore, I theorize that the new album may have guitars on it, PLAYED BY JOHN PETRUCCI.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AleBl4st

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Nice video!

But for now, I hope this is the last part of those videos and we finally get to hear something new from this album!  :metal

Offline aprilethereal

How about a Non Album single? I know it wouldn't happen but I think it would be cool. Or maybe a single with an actual non album B side? Even if it's like a live in studio jam or something.  IDK

A non album single? What would be the point of that, my friend? :lol The whole point of releasing a single is to promote the album. Any song good enough to represent this album should be on the album! You silly head.

WHAT IF THEY HAD JUST ONE MORE SONG THEY WANTED ON THE RECORD BUT RAN OUT OF ROOM???  DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT BLOB? HUH? DID YA?

YEA DIDN'T THINK SO!

That's a very interesting idea, it's like saying "so you liked this song? well guess what, in 2 months you'll be able to get a new album full of more awesome stuff like this, all of which you haven't heard of!" and you avoid the problem of burning a song from the album, leaving pure fresh content. I like it.

Not sure if serious

Offline senecadawg2

How unhelpful...  :(

Oh well, I'm not in too much of a rush to get the single anyhow.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline RoDT

How about a Non Album single? I know it wouldn't happen but I think it would be cool. Or maybe a single with an actual non album B side? Even if it's like a live in studio jam or something.  IDK

A non album single? What would be the point of that, my friend? :lol The whole point of releasing a single is to promote the album. Any song good enough to represent this album should be on the album! You silly head.

WHAT IF THEY HAD JUST ONE MORE SONG THEY WANTED ON THE RECORD BUT RAN OUT OF ROOM???  DID YOU EVER THINK OF THAT BLOB? HUH? DID YA?

YEA DIDN'T THINK SO!

That's a very interesting idea, it's like saying "so you liked this song? well guess what, in 2 months you'll be able to get a new album full of more awesome stuff like this, all of which you haven't heard of!" and you avoid the problem of burning a song from the album, leaving pure fresh content. I like it.

Not sure if serious

Haha, I actually quite like the idea. But I know it will never happen, but I guess with DT you never know....

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Yay I can talk about how FAS is gonna be the concert opener...I hope the first part is the main concert intro track, then the rest the band kicks in.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline robwebster

I still think JP might mean just Sleep Paralysis as a section is instrumental. I can't see a 2 or 3 minute track - which it must be if it's going to be an intro tape - being called a suite.
I'm pretty sure False Awakening Suite's YARGGG on the album list - so, yeah, all instrumental.

You can call plenty of instrumental things suites, and likewise plenty of short things. Holst's "The Planets" is a suite, and it's entirely instrumental. Handel's written four-minute suites. All the track needs to do, based on what we know, is to mutate between three distinct styles. That's easy, there's plenty of time to do that in three or four minutes. No reason False Awakening can't be...

*ahem*

...short and suite.

Offline RoDT

It's confirmed there will be a single! In other news, it was also confirmed that John Petrucci will in fact be playing the guitars on this album.

lol blob stop trolling did rr actually confirm that?

You got me. :blush

It's speculation based on the fact JP said he wanted his guitar to sound like chocolate cake. Based on that, I can gather that he likes chocolate cake. Chocolate cake has ingredients in it. The majority of ingredients are bought from stores. Some stores also sell musical equipment, including guitars. In another recent interview, JP said he plays guitar, so I think he bought one at the same time as he bought the chocolate cake. Therefore, I theorize that the new album may have guitars on it, PLAYED BY JOHN PETRUCCI.

I won't believe it until I see John Petrucci at my local store buying Chocolate Fudge cake mix!!

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Offline robwebster

...short and suite.

:marriageanalogy:
On balance, I think that's probably the correct response.

Offline fibreoptix

No reason False Awakening can't be...

*ahem*

...short and suite.

:biggrin:

Offline Petruccinator12

First post! FINALLY!! :D The administration process has literally taken forever!
Anyway, I am incredibly pumped for the new album!!
I wonder when we are getting more "new news", the 3rd studio update was kinda disappointing :/..I am specifically interested in the song lengths and the overall album length...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

Scatman vocal part is a transition between songs. At :38 you can hear the drum sound..... this definitely doesn't suck. :caffeine:

:panicattack:

Do we have any reason to believe that will actually be on the album?  The scat thing is fun, but it seems more likely to me that that's an in-studio joke than an actual piece of DT12.
I think that's just MMs way of vocaly highlight certain drum pattern or ideas he have floating around. I do that alot to but of course I don't record them!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lyfeternl

Scatman vocal part is a transition between songs. At :38 you can hear the drum sound..... this definitely doesn't suck. :caffeine:

Do we have any reason to believe that will actually be on the album?  The scat thing is fun, but it seems more likely to me that that's an in-studio joke than an actual piece of DT12.
I think that's just MM way of highlight vocaly certain drum pattern or ideas he have floating around. I do that alot to but of course I don't record them!  :lol

Agreed. As a guitarist, I always find myself communicating certain phrases on the drums to the drummer in this manner...  :biggrin:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
the scat thing is awesome, it should appear on one of the songs.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Scat singing would be a natural continuation of the throat singing on BITS :D

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

we can hear two or three electric guitar notes as well :yarr

Code: [Select]
https://speedy.sh/jefZE/DT-sample.mp3

They sound like cake to me... :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
AWESOME. this is the first video where i actually felt like i learned something

Offline SaterUM

These have been so silent times, even with the Studio parts it feels like some incomplete information, even so, since the start we all see this coming, DT had been teasing us in a good way 'cause even the absence of music the excitement it still's there, all this journey had been and will be interesting and fun in the way that i see xd, waiting for a single detailed 'cause we know that DT always is detailed in his way to make things, last time with ADTOE this things happened so quick, we just had in that time one or two videos but less information and then directly to the single, and the rest is history, i know this will be a massive album, who cares about personal reviews, if it sounds like DT that says a lot for me, just hold guys, the results will be satisfying, even when the single comes out it will still remain a long way.

:yarr

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni

we can hear two or three electric guitar notes as well :yarr

Code: [Select]
https://speedy.sh/jefZE/DT-sample.mp3

They sound like cake to me... :metal

Sounds like Led Zeppelin's Black Dog to me  :D
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Edit: irrelevant
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
So the long epic will be in the middle of the album, rather than at the end... Interesting... I wonder how they'll end the album this time around.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
So the long epic will be in the middle of the album, rather than at the end... Interesting... I wonder how they'll end the album this time around.

What? Illumination Theory is the last song on the album...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
I think its because they said "a long epic amongst a sea of shorter songs". But it could just be a general thing.

Offline dparrott

Or maybe a single with an actual non album B side? Even if it's like a live in studio jam or something.  IDK

YES YES YES  :tup  I loved how singles in the 90's had lots of b-sides.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

I don't see JMX doing a scat solo...heh...but him doing a spoken word part would be awesome, like an "inner thoughts" type thing for the story.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I think its because they said "a long epic amongst a sea of shorter songs". But it could just be a general thing.

Yeah, but he also said it was the center piece of the album.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Deve

Whenever I see a wealth of pages has popped up overnight I always get so excited and rush through the pages to see where the big news has been announced  :biggrin:

That bass solo sounds very exciting to me, and I can't wait for the single.

What song do you guys think the bass solo will be in? My bet is on instrumental.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Whenever I see a wealth of pages has popped up overnight I always get so excited and rush through the pages to see where the big news has been announced  :biggrin:

That bass solo sounds very exciting to me, and I can't wait for the single.

What song do you guys think the bass solo will be in? My bet is on instrumental.

Actually, the bass solo is the scat thing. The bass is triggering the voice samples, so John Myung is in charge of that whole section. Did you see him in the video where the guys and Rich are listening to that passage? Thought so. You know why? Because he's on the recording room.

Pardon me for my conspiracy theories, folks. Go on.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

"Centerpiece" does not literally mean "in the middle".

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread

Just as Octavarium is, and it's the last song. I think what JP meant was that most songs will be short, except the long epic. It does not mean that it has to be in the middle (or around the middle) of the album.

Offline Mladen

Interesting part three. The thing with the sample was hilarious, and I was very intrigued by the ''saddest piece of music'' that Jordan made for the epic.