Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 917131 times)

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
To some it just may be the best thing ever and to others, not so much. The band, in fact, may feel this is their best music to date and a lot of people will probably agree and some won't. Personally, I enjoy the hype of a new DT release and its my prerogative to say to myself "This new album is going to be fucking awesome."

If I was standing in line for an hour for a brand new roller coaster that was supposedly hyped up to be the most thrilling ride ever, I'm going to be pretty friggin' pumped about it. If some guy behind me tells me "Hey man, don't get too excited. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride but don't get your hopes up thinking its the best ride ever." I'm going to think to myself, "Screw that, I'm getting more excited the closer I get to that seat on the ride."

Feel excited, neutral, pissed or whatever about the hype. Personally, I find all this positively entertaining.

Amen, brother! :tup

I'm fuckin pumped. :metal

Absolutely this !  :hefdaddy

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
To some it just may be the best thing ever and to others, not so much. The band, in fact, may feel this is their best music to date and a lot of people will probably agree and some won't. Personally, I enjoy the hype of a new DT release and its my prerogative to say to myself "This new album is going to be fucking awesome."

If I was standing in line for an hour for a brand new roller coaster that was supposedly hyped up to be the most thrilling ride ever, I'm going to be pretty friggin' pumped about it. If some guy behind me tells me "Hey man, don't get too excited. I'm sure it's going to be a good ride but don't get your hopes up thinking its the best ride ever." I'm going to think to myself, "Screw that, I'm getting more excited the closer I get to that seat on the ride."

Feel excited, neutral, pissed or whatever about the hype. Personally, I find all this positively entertaining.

Amen, brother! :tup

I'm fuckin pumped. :metal

Absolutely this !  :hefdaddy

+1000000
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline GandL

I think he's talking about the new arrangement of that riff DTF transcribed:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUnYo6r2S-s

Oh wow, that's actually pretty cool. Nice find!

Thought you meant the guitar only tracks that were floating around a while ago.

This melody from 0:16 to 0:27, I'm sure I heared this before, I just cannot remember where, but it is pretty familiar to me, in a movie or something...

Offline Sycsa

This is kind of picky, but was anyone else a bit disappointed that Prog Magazine's little review wasn't somtehing along the lines of "Dream Theater has released the best material they have since Images; this album is game-changing; the band is reahcing in new directions, etc."? Considering all the hype DT themselves are building around this release, it sounds like it's got to be pretty damn good. The review gave me a feeling of just another typical DT album  :-\
I remember both SFAM and SDOIT got lukewarm reviews in some of the online magazines that I read, so I wouldn't worry about it. ADTOE was widely received among them like "more of the same, MP's departure didn't really change much" while many of us thought it was a significant step in a new direction. For the reviewer, it could be just another album out of tens of dozens he needs to get through this year.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lucien

This is kind of picky, but was anyone else a bit disappointed that Prog Magazine's little review wasn't somtehing along the lines of "Dream Theater has released the best material they have since Images; this album is game-changing; the band is reahcing in new directions, etc."? Considering all the hype DT themselves are building around this release, it sounds like it's got to be pretty damn good. The review gave me a feeling of just another typical DT album  :-\
I remember both SFAM and SDOIT got lukewarm reviews in some of the online magazines that I read, so I wouldn't worry about it. ADTOE was widely received among them like "more of the same, MP's departure didn't really change much" while many of us thought it was a significant step in a new direction. For the reviewer, it could be just another album out of tens of dozens he needs to get through this year.

Offline matte.braso

I'm watching Chaos in progress and I'm just wondering if OTE has filmed the entire sessions for DT12...I really hope the DVD will contain something like that

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I'm watching Chaos in progress and I'm just wondering if OTE has filmed the entire sessions for DT12...I really hope the DVD will contain something like that

Well, I would believe so! Hopefully they didn't hire the crew for just that documentary!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni

Well, I would believe so! Hopefully they didn't hire the crew for just that documentary!

Unlikely but multi-angle in studio for Illumination Theory would be cool.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I would sooner have a documentary about the making of the song, with all the behind the scenes related to it then a performance.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
I would sooner have a documentary about the making of the song, with all the behind the scenes related to it then a performance.

Why not both? ;)

And fun moments as in Chaos in Progress...

Offline matte.braso

too bad we haven't any kind of info about that yet....maybe we'll have SOON...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
It's just that every band says that about every new album they release.

I don't see what's the problem with that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline matte.braso

well, I can't remember them saying 'this our STRONGEST work to date'...they've always told about how good the album is, but they've never made such a clear statement, If I remember correctly

Offline matte.braso

well, I can't remember them saying 'this our STRONGEST work to date'...they've always told about how good the album is, but they've never made such a clear statement like that, If I remember correctly

Offline Full Speed

At least one of the memebers always says this is their best album to date after the recording sessions. The only real difference this time is that they feel strongly enough this time to make it their self-titled album.

Offline thosava

I'm new to the forum, but have been following this thread for a while.
I was thinking, why wouldn't the members say that the album is their best work to date? When they made Scenes From a Memory, that was the kind of music they felt like making at that time in their lives, and it probably felt the best. DT12 is the kind of music they enjoy today, and to them it will feel like the best. These are just my thoughts.

Offline Dream Team

That little "review" by the snobbish prog mag guy didn't even mention 2 of the most important things, namely the quality of the production and vocals.  :tdwn I realize it's not supposed to be an official review, but how lazy can you be?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
That little "review" by the snobbish prog mag guy didn't even mention 2 of the most important things, namely the quality of the production and vocals.  :tdwn I realize it's not supposed to be an official review, but how lazy can you be?

Oh for God's sake, it wasn't even in the guy's main post. It was a response comment they made afterward. Cut 'em some slack~ :lol

However I would agree that it'd be lazy of them not to comment on production and/or vocals whenever they actually do put out their official review for the album. :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Hey but you're not angry are you
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline aprilethereal

Not all of these albums are as strong as the band(s) claim they are.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Not all of these albums are as strong as the band(s) claim they are.

Of course not, but what should a band say otherwise? It's purely a marketing strategy and every band does this. Would be people be interested if Apple announced their next iPhone as being 'not as powerful as the last one and it will have less features'? Same thing goes for any band. Imagine Dream Theater stating 'well, this album is quite alright, but I guess we've done better things in the past'. Just doesn't work. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Look at advertisements of random products if you don't believe me. And yes, Dream Theater is a business, as well as a band. The music industry is a business and they want to make big money out of this new release, so of course they're going to say it's 'their best ever'.

\semi-rant
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoDT

Hey guys! New to the forum here (though I've been following it for quite a while now)

I don't think anyone posted this, but ClassicRockProg wrote a follower from its previous "comment review":

ClassicRockProg ‏@ProgMagazineUK 18 Jul
People want our reaction to the new Dream Theater: different to DTOE. Heavier, more melodic, proggier. Some great time changes. Thumbs up!

PS: DTOE (lol)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Who cares what the band says in statements like this? We all know that they are going to say it and should all know it's rather meaningless. I look for and enjoy bands talking about the instrumentation of albums, the sound of them, the direction musically, and that sort of thing. Stuff that at least matters. Marketing (even sincere as the case usually is with bands) is just that, and I know enough to just filter it out, and I'd suggest the same for anyone who even bothers getting worked up over it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Not sure if that was directed at me, but I'm definitely looking through that. I'm more of the suspicious type; hear it first, make up my own mind about it and then believe it. Doesn't mean I would be less excited about the new album, so basically I agree with everything you said.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Who cares what the band says in statements like this? We all know that they are going to say it and should all know it's rather meaningless. I look for and enjoy bands talking about the instrumentation of albums, the sound of them, the direction musically, and that sort of thing. Stuff that at least matters. Marketing (even sincere as the case usually is with bands) is just that, and I know enough to just filter it out, and I'd suggest the same for anyone who even bothers getting worked up over it.

Or you can just judge for yourself by buying their product.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.

Can you please connect the dots on how in the world your statement relates to mine?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

Think about this. Last night I was going through my DT CDs and noticed something. I'm sure this hasn't escaped notice, but on ADTOE the sound engineer was Paul Northfeild, the same guy who did the previous two RR releases. But the vocals were recorded separately and engineered by Rich Chycki.

I'm sure that's not news or anything, but I'm wondering what it says that they chose to go with Rich Chycki for the entire new album? Personally I think the vocals on ADTOE sound just fine. They sound clean, evenly distributed throughout the recording. So I imagine the new album is going to sound a lot crisper. Of course the hope is that nothing gets left behind in the final mix (drums, bass) but with the band saying they've gone in a new sonic direction with this release, I feel pretty good about it sounding right. :tup
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Ben_Jamin

Can you please connect the dots on how in the world your statement relates to mine?

By us knowing what the band says is meaningless, and marketing, and getting worked up over it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Lucien

Buy the new album to see if it actually is their strongest, and what they're saying is not just marketing

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Of course not, but what should a band say otherwise? It's purely a marketing strategy and every band does this. Would be people be interested if Apple announced their next iPhone as being 'not as powerful as the last one and it will have less features'? Same thing goes for any band. Imagine Dream Theater stating 'well, this album is quite alright, but I guess we've done better things in the past'. Just doesn't work. Marketing, marketing, marketing. Look at advertisements of random products if you don't believe me. And yes, Dream Theater is a business, as well as a band. The music industry is a business and they want to make big money out of this new release, so of course they're going to say it's 'their best ever'.

\semi-rant

You're right that the band always says this and it's a marketing thing, but the correlation isn't as strong as you describe.  Apple says the new iPhone is stronger than the last one because it is stronger than the last one in a quantitative way.  That's not true of the newest DT album.  Moreover, although DT is hoping to make money off the new album and may enjoy hyping it up for that reason, you have to admit that they're not just soulless corporate robots who only do things that will make a profit.  The music on the new album obviously has personal significance to all of the band members who have spoken about it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:37:16 AM by theseoafs »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member

Buy the new album to see if it actually is their strongest, and what they're saying is not just marketing
If the media would ask the band how strong their new album is, what other answer could they possible say other than it's their strongest album yet?
All bands are proud of their latest release even if the results may not be what they hoped for, besides they would never say if their unhappy with anything in the production anyway, not before a release. That would go against any form of rule within marketing. :lol

So if a band is saying something in the line of "it's their strongest release yet" it's for the most part a good thing because that means that they at the very least have a product they don't mind let go into print...but if the band at anytime in the future say something diffrent I would start getting worried.  ;D

So what Nick means is that there are certain areas like production, musical direction, instrumentation and so forth that are not affected by any marketing strategy. Those areas are there whether or not the album is any good or not.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

If the media would ask the band how strong their new album is, what other answer could they possible say other than it's their strongest album yet?
All bands are proud of their latest release even if the results may not be what they hoped for, besides they would never say if their unhappy with anything in the production anyway, not before a release. That would go against any form of rule within marketing. :lol

So if a band is saying something in the line of "it's their strongest release yet" it's for the most part a good thing because that means that they at the very least have a product they don't mind let go into print...but if the band at anytime in the future say something diffrent I would start getting worried.  ;D

So what Nick means is that there are certain areas like production, musical direction, instrumentation and so forth that are not affected by any marketing strategy. Those areas are there whether or not the album is any good or not.
In every "making of..." documentary by DT, I've heard the phrases: "it's our strongest record to date" or "we're incredibly proud of this record." That's natural. They'd just spent half a year or so in the studio. Of course they're going to say something positive about their new release, it's like a new child to them. No mother is going to say of her newborn child, "I just spent 9 months carrying this child inside of me. I could have done better."  What I've heard said about this record is that "....it's our strongest work to date...." which is typical marketing. But... "It's our most, kinda, cohesive and broadest expression of our different styles and our sound." That's more than just marketing. That's telling us what to expect.  I guess my point is that the band is telling us that this record is definitely different than what they've put out before.

To me, all of this is a good thing. I know it all boils down to marketing. That's a given. Its my choice to believe it or not. Until I listen to the record and come to my own conclusions, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't believe what the band and their engineer tell me.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Ben_Jamin

What really got me excited was the artwork and the song titles, plus the reveal of it being self-titled. The studio vids are great at what we got so far, while possibly being a hint at the in studio dvd.

I think we'll get a single once they show all the vids, with the pre-order info.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I can't work out if this is serious. That wasn't the magazine's review, that will come when the magazine issue is released. That was just some brief initial thoughts to get people excited, and frankly it's great that they did that as it got us talking, and they had no obligation whatsoever to do it. I also don't understand why the production and vocals are the "most important things". ???

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
Was on the Roadrunner site and got pumped when i saw the the DT album was up for purchase. It's not.....more waiting for the pre-sale..... :facepalm: