Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 917090 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Classic Rock Presents Prog: It's not THAT heavy folks, calm down. It still sounds like Dream Theater. And remember we also said more melodic and more proggy too!

Is that a real quote? It embarrasses me if the fanbase really whined enough to merit a response. Especially as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it being heavier.

It was just one fan who complained that DT is increasing it's heaviness coefficient with each step. Another poster seconded that and then the magazine replied with the quoted message.

Thanks to wasteland for the facts!

Because I was gonna say, there's not much to complain about in such a brief overview!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
Classic Rock Presents Prog: It's not THAT heavy folks, calm down. It still sounds like Dream Theater. And remember we also said more melodic and more proggy too!

Is that a real quote? It embarrasses me if the fanbase really whined enough to merit a response. Especially as there's absolutely nothing wrong with it being heavier.

It was just one fan who complained that DT is increasing it's heaviness coefficient with each step. Another poster seconded that and then the magazine replied with the quoted message.

Can you please show us where to check this review?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I hope by heavy they don't mean BMUBMD heavy

Thanks for the reminder!  *listening to BMU/BMD right now and loving every second of it*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Labrie1984

Maybe they're not allowed to be more concrete but that review could describe every DT album. Not helping at all (in my opinión, of course)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm a bit surprised promotional copies have been passed out already.  Nevertheless, melodic and heavy makes me very happy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Hanz Gruber

DT isn't even my favorite band, but since this is the DT forum and they have a new album coming soon, naturally I'm gonna express my excitement here.

DT isn't my #1 either, but there is no other band that makes me as excited for a new album as DT. They're just really good in getting people ridiculously excited. I don't participate in any hype stuff like "DT12 will be their best album ever" (because that mostly leads to disappointment), but I'm still confident they craft something great.

Agreed. The only two bands at this point that make me giddy for a new album are Dream Theater & Green Day.

Because you know that it will at least be *good* no matter what. Neither band  has put out a truly terrible album yet.

For me I get most excited about Dream Theater, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden releases. 

I haven't found many new bands at all that I like.  Usually I can't get into the singer.   

I do like Pain of Salvation but their past couple of releases have not been very good.

Glad to hear Fates Warning is putting out a new CD sometime. 

I also like bands like Testament (the non death metal albums), Tesla, OSI, Savatage (mainly with Zak Stevens as the vocalist) but am having trouble finding new bands to listen to

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni

Can you please show us where to check this review?

Yes, it is. (And why would i post an unreal one, btw?)

Here is the review/comment
https://www.facebook.com/progrockmag/posts/559350764104231?comment_id=5702013&offset=0&total_comments=23

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

That's what we do, remember? DT fans to the grave, bro.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
Reading the comments on the fb page makes me wonder if some of those people are even fans. I mean, they're taking one persons interpretation of the album and saying this is gonna suck because it's heavier than the last album. Most people here find that to be a good thing.  :lol
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
Is it alright if someone post this review in the thread? Facebook is blocked here at work, and I don't think I will survive this day if I don't read the review  :|

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Is it alright if someone post this review in the thread? Facebook is blocked here at work, and I don't think I will survive this day if I don't read the review  :|

I believe everything that was said is what is posted in this thread. Nothing more! It was just comments on their FB page, not a proper review yet.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For me I get most excited about Dream Theater, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden releases. 

I haven't found many new bands at all that I like.  Usually I can't get into the singer.   

I do like Pain of Salvation but their past couple of releases have not been very good.

I also like bands like Testament (the non death metal albums), Tesla, OSI, Savatage (mainly with Zak Stevens as the vocalist) but am having trouble finding new bands to listen to

Hey, nothing wrong with being selective.  You like what you like, and that's cool.  Good taste as far as most of the band's listed.  :tup  If you are looking to perhaps get into some new bands, you might want to start a thread in the General Music Discussion section listing what bands you like and what you like about them, and asking others to make recommendations.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.

I believe everything that was said is what is posted in this thread. Nothing more! It was just comments on their FB page, not a proper review yet.

Well, this is sad haha, but ok then.

Offline Hanz Gruber

Hey, nothing wrong with being selective.  You like what you like, and that's cool.  Good taste as far as most of the band's listed.  :tup  If you are looking to perhaps get into some new bands, you might want to start a thread in the General Music Discussion section listing what bands you like and what you like about them, and asking others to make recommendations.

Cool,  Thanks.  I might try reading some of the threads for suggestions.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
I'm a bit surprised promotional copies have been passed out already.  Nevertheless, melodic and heavy makes me very happy.

Would releasing a promotional copy be a bit risky?  Depending on how many copies and how many folks listened, would a leak be a real possibility?  Just surpising to release the whole cd this early.

By the way:   :metal
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Full Speed

Usually critics wouldn't leak the album to risk their integrity. If they got caught RoadRunner would most likely cut them off from getting promos.

But yes, the more copies around, the more people with access, etc etc obviously means the more likely it is for the album to leak.

Offline aprilethereal

There are lots of great and unique new bands, but maybe you'll have to look a bit outside of the typical "prog metal" or whatever range.

As bosk already said, you could visit the General Music Discussion section for some suggestions.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Cool,  Thanks.  I might try reading some of the threads for suggestions.

No problem.

Your list also got me thinking that we really need a Tesla thread.  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38102.0

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
I DONT KNOW WHAT I WANT

But no one can take that away.

:TAC:

Stop that, he's only 17.

But I bet he's been Baptized by Fire on the way to No Man's Land while petting his Junkyard Dog.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline philmcson

Would releasing a promotional copy be a bit risky?  Depending on how many copies and how many folks listened, would a leak be a real possibility?  Just surpising to release the whole cd this early.

By the way:   :metal

There's nothing wrong with leaks, I'd download the album ASAP but buy it later  ;)
If you listen to it now it won't sound worse than on release day!

Offline Labrie1984

Me too! I always download DT albums prior to release date but I always support them by purchasing the álbum. Here in Spain music is not expensive at all (15 euros aprox= about 13-14 dollars).

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Physical copies are usually expensive in Brazil, BUT, I have bought ALL of the DT albums that I have downloaded once a pre-order appeared. Won't be different this time  ;)

Offline jdprsaga

2013 has been and will be an excellent year for new releases: Riverside, Niacin, Deep Purple, Spock's Beard, Donati solo album...but nothing can touch the triple dosage of DT (album, dvd, book) I'm about to get this fall. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.  :omg:

man, with this you (and spotify) helped me rediscover riverside.. It's a nice album for sure. I guess it's gonna keep me busy for a couple of weeks. Thank You.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
Seriously guys, it's not that fucking hard to follow the rules.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

Are you talking about mentioning leaks or going off-topic? If you mean the former, I apologize.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB

Are you talking about mentioning leaks or going off-topic? If you mean the former, I apologize.
I'm talking about mentioning leaks. The mods have been over this many many times in this thread alone. It just seems rude to blatantly ignore the rules like that. Come one guys.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline lithium112

I'm so excited that the album is supposedly heavier. I just hope the heaviness is paired with more interesting song structures (e.g. TGP vs BMU/BMD). Not saying BMU/BMD is a bad song, but I really like when DT uses more interesting song structures.

Offline Sycsa

2013 has been and will be an excellent year for new releases: Riverside, Niacin, Deep Purple, Spock's Beard, Donati solo album...but nothing can touch the triple dosage of DT (album, dvd, book) I'm about to get this fall. Just thinking about it makes my head spin.  :omg:

man, with this you (and spotify) helped me rediscover riverside.. It's a nice album for sure. I guess it's gonna keep me busy for a couple of weeks. Thank You.
Hehe, I'm really glad to hear. The opening track and Escalator Shrine clicked especially well with me. I also saw them live couple of months ago, it was special.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...

I'm talking about mentioning leaks. The mods have been over this many many times in this thread alone. It just seems rude to blatantly ignore the rules like that. Come one guys.

Ah, I get it. I didn't mean to be rude. I just interpreted the rule as being that I wasn't allowed to discuss once the album was leaked, instead of discussing about the possibility. Should've read the rules more carefully, sorry :blush

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
Is it not possible that the magazine were invited to RR's offices for a 'listening party', so to speak? As has been said, I'd be surprised if promo discs had already been distributed.

Regarding what Classic Prog said, it doesn't really tell us much - it could describe any DT album really. I do hope, however, that 'melodic' means something like SFAM, in which there are catchy vocal hooks and even catchy instrumental licks. And it sounds like MM really has gone nuts on this album. 

Offline hacko

...snip... Here in Spain music is not expensive at all (15 euros aprox= about 13-14 dollars).
Your math is weird.
1 euro = 1.3 $.
hence, 15 euro would be almost 20 $.

Offline matte.braso

anyone speaking Indonesian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ8ltlcGG_Q

(wow good-looking tv presenter talking about DT....it's pretty weird ;D)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Wow, I wonder if that review has any new information. Shiat, where are the Indonesian DT fans over here?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
...snip... Here in Spain music is not expensive at all (15 euros aprox= about 13-14 dollars).
Your math is weird.
1 euro = 1.3 $.
hence, 15 euro would be almost 20 $.

$20 for a CD is pretty high in the states, depending on where you live and where you shop. Usually $13-14 is more the norm where I'm from.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Hanz Gruber

anyone speaking Indonesian?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ8ltlcGG_Q

(wow good-looking tv presenter talking about DT....it's pretty weird ;D)

Yeah.......he is pretty hot isn't he?

(Just joking.....I know you were talking about the lady)