Author Topic: LithoJazzoSphere Roulette V1: Variety & Reciprocity (Post-Roulette Playlist)  (Read 115149 times)

Offline Lethean

I had ruled that out thinking it applied to vocal range.

Offline Lethean

Kiko is indeed very talented.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Well, the last week or two has been even busier than I expected with life stuff to deal with, but hopefully things are settling back down and we can pick the pace back up a bit.  I have drafts of everything, I just need to do some fleshing out of the writeups and tweaking of the scores, and results shouldn't be too far away, maybe by Thursday.  In the meantime, here are the filled-out early impressions to chew on. 

Round 2 Early Impressions:

1:  Elite - Avishai Cohen Trio - "Pinzin Kinzin" - This does way more with one note than it should be legal to get away with. 

2:  senecadawg2 - Floating Points - "Movement 7" - Some delightful and dreamy ideas are teased, but there's not quite enough payoff.  I think (hope) the album might be better than the song. 

3:  soupytwist - mew - "Comforting Sounds" - The layering and building of the arrangement is really cool, but the vocals aren't vibing with me. 

4:  Nachtmerrie - Caro Emerald - "I Know That He's Mine" - This is a sparse arrangement done right. 

5:  Puppies_On_Acid - Ne Obliviscaris - "Forget Not" - The first third is magnificent, but the middle section is a bit fatiguing due to overuse of [redacted], and the final third doesn't quite make up for it. 

6:  Sacul - Mammal Hands - "Quiet Fire" - This incorporates a risky musical element, but makes more judicious use of it than several other songs did, making it feel more earned. 

7:  HOF - Yaatri - "Vipassana" - Am I in heaven?  I don't know how you figured out how to combine elements of all three songs, but you did. 

8:  Evermind - Evan Carson - "Otriad" - The presence of a certain entity from the previous round might have been risky if you read all the writeups, but this might circumvent it. 

9:  Stadler - Sting - "Come Down In Time" - Not enough double bass. 

10:  SoundscapeMN - Greg Herriges - "Rama Be Good" - This excels in combining two of my songs, while bringing in an element I'm not sure you knew I liked, but definitely makes this selection stand out. 

11:  TAC - Altherya - "In Flanders Fields" - Definitely on the more tenuous of connections to the round themes, but it does check a few boxes, and a good song is a good song. 

12:  Buddyhunter1 - Sungazer - "Cytherean" - There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one. 

13:  twosuitluke - Seatbelts - "Tank!" - Is Alec Baldwin about to take the stage? 

14:  Lethean - Kiko Loureiro - "Ojos Verdes" - I suspected that this person had this kind of range, but this demonstrably proves it. 

15:  romdrums - GoGo Penguin - "Seven Sons of Bjorn" - The piano work here is excellent, but I'm not sure it's going to make up for the missed opportunity regarding another instrument with unactualized potential. 

16:  Vmadera00 - Howe Wooten Chambers - "Bird's Eye View" - This would be a mess if amateurs tried to create it. 

17:  ariich - Nova Collective - "Cascades" - Another song that's a bit further out from the round selections, but has some intriguing keyboard textures. 

18:  Tomislav95 - The Reign of Kindo - "The Moments In Between" - Hey look, some vocal falsettos I don't mind. 

19:  Crow - Poly-Math - "Alchemy | Terra Incognita" - This does more with some risky musical elements than many similar songs I've heard, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite enough to gain a leg up on the competition.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm ready for my 10/10 whenever you are.

Also, who's Alec Baldwin?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Assuming you're not trolling, maybe he's not as well-known across the pond.  Very famous actor here.  Do you know Saturday Night Live?  He's been the most common guest host of it.  The pre-monologue music the band plays (or at least used to, I haven't watched as much in quite awhile), kind of had that feel with the big band arrangement, saxophone heroics and such. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:40:54 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Good thing mine barely has any vocals, then. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I've got no clue what risky element my song has, hell yeah :metal

Offline SoundscapeMN

I wonder given you have 18 songs to go through with these, it might be helpful to divide up your work on them in half.

I.e., do the 1st 9, and then the 2nd 9. It might delay some things, but it could make your workload a little easier.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Assuming you're not trolling, maybe he's not as well-known across the pond.  Very famous actor here.  Do you know Saturday Night Live?  He's been the most common guest host of it.  The pre-monologue music the band plays (or at least used to, I haven't watched as much in quite awhile), kind of had that feel with the big band arrangement, saxophone heroics and such.

Offline romdrums

I'm ready for my 10/10 whenever you are.

Also, who's Alec Baldwin?

:o :lol

Waiting for Stadler....
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline senecadawg2

Not looking super promising for me! Hopefully the submission grew on you after that first impression. It's very much a mood piece though, and perhaps slightly odd for a roulette.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Buddyhunter1 - Sungazer - "Cytherean"

Early Impression - "There is a lot of interest going on instrumentally, but I think the vocals are going to sink this one."

So what no one caught (or did and didn't point out), was that this is the exact same impression I gave for Crow's in the first round, but it was a fakeout, because it applies to this one instead (and one other, but we'll get to that later).  Anyway, this track feels like the fusion equivalent of vaporwave.  There is a vaguely nostalgic vibe about the square wave synthesizer parts in particular that bounce around the stereo spectrum. 

The drumming is easily the highlight of the track.  This is even more illuminated by the drummer having a playthrough video, which I watched, and made it more obvious what some of the more intriguing things he was doing were.  In some parts I wondered if it was programmed because it didn't seem possible to physically execute the rhythms that were going on simultaneously, but the video cleared that up.  The micro-piccolo snare is an unusual and charming texture, and with the side snare on the right in a different tuning, adds some welcome variety.  I also enjoy the interplay between the hat and the stack. 

I can't turn down saxophone, though it's not really given as much prominence as I'd like, with mostly just some line doubling, and only the occasional line where it peaks out on its own.  Credit info says there is also bass clarinet on the track, but it's either another doubling texture or I just completely overlooked it. 

But what drags the song down is the vocal.  I wouldn't call it a vocal-centric song, per se, but in a round with a lot of instrumentals and where even the vocal songs sometimes have extended instrumental sections, it sticks out more.  The pitch-shifted spoken parts I at first surmised were samples, and contributed to that vaporwave feel as well.  But even in the sung parts, I just don't care for the vocal timbre, and applying pitch-shifting to it nettled me even more.  So for my fourth listen when I began to do some research on the songs, it turns out that the culprit is Adam Neely of all people.  I've watched a fair number of his videos, and he always has scintillating musical analysis in often unexpected directions, and is a killer bass player (not nearly as evident as I'd prefer on this track though).  But based on this track I'd rather he stick to talking and playing than singing, it just brings me down, and the rest of the instrumentation is pleasant enough, but not sufficient to match the rest of the songs in the round. 

Score:  6.5/10

---

Crow - Poly-Math - "Alchemy | Terra Incognita"

Early Impression - "This does more with some risky musical elements than many similar songs I've heard, but I'm not sure it's going to be quite enough to gain a leg up on the competition."

So I don't know if I said it here, or it might have been in Luke's thread, but while I'm heavily leaning against eliminations at the moment, I do want to keep them as an option if necessary later on, but hopefully will find a way to avoid them.  Well, it turns out that we did need one elimination....Cyril.  That round 1 submission just wasn't up to snuff, so Cyril has been given the axe.  I think we've found a better substitute though, I can already see that Crow has managed to stay out of last place, and hopefully that is portent of even better things to come later. 

Like the song in the last round, there are certainly a few interesting musical elements going on here, but the two things that hold it back for me is that the buildups aren't quite effective enough, and there is a bit too much focus on noisy textures for my taste.  They are better employed here than I've heard in many other similar songs, but it's just not enough to compete with the rest of the stronger songs in the round. 

For a few positive aspects, in two submissions in a row of yours the bass has been one of the stronger points.  I don't know if it's a coincidence or if you read my writeup on Renaissance, but I was pleased to find that this song has a music video, and the bass player has a Rickenbacker.  No wonder the tone is so fat, with just a bit of grit to it. 

I also really like the chorused clean guitar tone throughout this track.  A micro bit I liked is the volume swell accompanied with a pitch rise of the guitar at 5:27, or the quick break for the ring-modulated guitar part at 1:39.  The organ additionally adds some background atmosphere in spots.  I wasn't expecting it from this type of song, but the percussion bits around 2:52 are unexpectedly delightful.  The repeating tom fills at 4:51 and beyond are fun. 

So one of the risky elements I referred to in some of my impressions is the use of noise as a significant musical component.  A certain amount of it can add interest to a composition, but excessive amounts of it tend to irk me, and this comes a bit too close to that at times.  I have a lot of effects pedals, and it can be fun to run a static tone or sequence through them and just spend hours twiddling knobs and seeing what happens.  But it's more fun to do yourself than to listen to others experiment with, I've found.  I've recorded a few of these jams, but I highly doubt I could ever release them. 

So for example, 2:50 begins a portion of the song that structurally is quite bare, a 2-3 note riff that very slowly increases in intensity, a few chord changes with that bass riff as a pedal-tone to anchor it.  Around 4:07 the most significant change is all the sound effects as the rate knob is being sped up and slowed down.  It's interesting from an engineering standpoint, but doesn't add quite enough of melodic substance, making the build feel a tad overly long to me.  There are similar examples around 2:03 (also with the hard clipping distortion), and 8:15 (though that one is fine since it's just part of the ambiance ringing out).  In a way I appreciate being exposed to songs like this that are a little outside of my normal listening ambit, because that's how you make breakthroughs and discover music that wasn't even on your radar in prior years.  But for the moment, there are just too many other songs I prefer listening to in this round to give it a higher score.  But at least this is progress, pretty much only up to go from here, right?  :-)

Score:  6.75/10

---

soupytwist - mew - "Comforting Sounds"

Early Impression - "The layering and building of the arrangement is really cool, but the vocals aren't vibing with me."

Last round it was Galahad, this round is was mew.  Will someone complementing a song ahead of time in round three and that song scoring relatively low be a third time's the charm situation, or do bad things come in sets of threes?  Maybe we'll find out!  I often like this epic sort of building structure, where a song begins in a very barebones fashion, gradually adding layer after layer, culminating in an explosive finale.  And it obviously has this effect for fans of theirs as you can see in a number of live videos.  The better post-rock works do this well, often multiple times in a single track.  And that is certainly the stronger side of this song.  As this entry went along fairly early I suspected it might try and do just that, and it executed it almost precisely like I thought it would. 

The arrangement is quite well put-together, with the left and right panned-guitars interlocking, sometimes in a call and response fashion, other times harmonizing with each other, and then slowly adding keyboard textures into the mix as well.  The keyboard pad underlaying the driving 8th notes in some spots also adds contrast and rhythmic interest.  There is additionally a lot of variety timbrally with the guitars, such as the very slight crunch in the beginning, the chimier parts at 1:17, the mellow higher tones at 3:33, the increasing levels of saturation as the end approaches, and the biting tremolo picking at 7:57.  The ascending pitch of the grinding patch at 7:42 is one the better uses of a noisier element in this round as well. 

But ultimately, two things held this song back for me.  First, it is quite harmonically simple, and even after numerous listens none of the melodies really latched onto me.  And second, the vocalist's style and timbre is just not for me.  These frail tenor falsetto deliveries work wonders on some people, should I dare say they find them "comforting"?, but with the occasional exception, I'm not often one of them.  My hit rate for Nordic bands is higher than average, so I was really hoping maybe this would grow on me more, but alas, not enough. 

Score:  6.75/10

---

Puppies_On_Acid - Ne Obliviscaris - "Forget Not"

Early Impression - "The first third is magnificent, but the middle section is a bit fatiguing due to overuse of [redacted], and the final third doesn't quite make up for it."

So this is another band that isn't unfamiliar to me, but other than one album I enjoyed but don't know well, and the odd other song or two here and there, I'm certainly not well-acquainted with them.  They are sometimes billed as "Opeth with violin", but despite Opeth being one of my absolute favorite bands, I don't actually tend to seek out other Opeth-esque bands that actively, most of the ones I run across are only very superficially similar and don't really give me the same vibes. 

There was a lot of greatness in the first third.  A song this long tends to bask in setup, and I'm quite fine with that.  My favorite element by far is all of the violin work.  It's such a marvelous instrument, and it is played superbly here.  The way he plays with blending in harmonics at 2:00 is spectacular.  The bass playing is also quite excellent, with many complementary lines.  There is a playthrough video that I watched, which helps to highlight some of them.  It's a bit sloppier than the studio take, but I'm not here to grade that part. 

The vocals were mostly kind of just there for me.  Neither the cleans nor the harshes really moved me, though the melisma at 6:42 and a few other spots started to nettle me a bit.  I expected to see some female background vocal credits for the section at 8:19 on the right, but either online credits are incomplete or that's an impressively blended falsetto.  Like Chthonic last round, the vocals generally sounded best in the sections where the cleans and harshes were in unison.  The electric guitars did their job and for the most part didn't particularly stand out, though I did enjoy some of the nylon-string work in the first few minutes of the song.  The sliding 5ths on the right at 5:24 are kind of fun.  Also, the fills such as at 10:03 are more entertaining than the actual solo. 

However, the drums are the facet that really overstayed its welcome.  Most of the first half is copacetic enough.  The China as heard on the right at 2:32 even sounds very similar to one of my own Sabian Holy Chinas, with a very distinctive thwack (he's definitely using a different kit in the playthrough version though).  The ride and bell work like at 4:13 is scrumptious.  But at 5:24 the double bass drums come in, and they're ok for awhile, but they kept going, and going, and going, and I was starting to look at the time to see how long those constant 16th notes had been hammering away.  Well, as it turns out, they end at 9:15, for almost four minutes solid.  It was actually almost a relief that the drumming went even further into overdrive with blasts at that point to have something different, but I kept not looking forward to this whole section and being distracted by them. 

I like double bass in smaller doses, with more rhythmic variety, and this portion of the song just kept wearing me out.  I read that the drummer won some competition for Australia's fastest feet, and apparently that's sort of a risk, with the need to put them on display constantly.  Even more noticeable from watching the playthrough is that there is this snare, high tom, snare, high tom, lower tom roll fill such as at 5:08, and it gets overused a bit.  I did like the tom pattern at 9:46 with the bass and acoustic though. 

Score:  7/10

---

romdrums - GoGo Penguin - "Seven Sons of Bjorn"

Early Impression - "The piano work here is excellent, but I'm not sure it's going to make up for the missed opportunity regarding another instrument with unactualized potential."

This track started really well.  The piano parts are intricate and vibrant, the drumming is propulsive and tasty with the ride and snare interplay, and there are some nice upright bass fills and accompaniment.  But after a couple minutes while it was feeling agreeable enough, I kept wondering if it was going to build to something grander. 

Well, that began the more vexing aspect.  The most frustrating thing about this piece is that it felt like it was setting up for a majestic violin or cello solo.  Early in the song I had been hearing higher string parts in the background, so when the overdriven and delayed bit came in at 2:19 I started getting excited.  But it never came, just a whole minute of sliding and bowing noises.  Those have their place in more limited usages to add some tension and pulpiness to a song, but when they're the whole enchilada, I stare at my plate and surmise that the runner brought the entree for the wrong table.  If there had been 30 seconds added of something more melodic in the middle or the end of the solo maybe I would have considered it worth the wait. 

For many years I've tried to appreciate some of the more noisy styles of music that don't have much to grasp onto melodically.  One way to do that I suppose is to acquaint yourself more with material that incorporates smaller doses of those elements, and this song actually ends up accomplishing a dash of that.  But like with Poly-Math, it isn't going to contribute to scoring as highly as other tunes.  Earlier I had thought it was a separate instrument playing the solo, but based on the double bass drop out and the credits, it must be the double bass itself.  So ultimately I like the sparkling piano playing and basic groove enough to keep it from the bottom, but the missed opportunity with the upright bass leads me to hearing a version of the song in my head that I would have preferred, but wasn't what the band was going for. 

---

senecadawg2 - Floating Points - "Movement 7"

Early Impression - "Some delightful and dreamy ideas are teased, but there's not quite enough payoff.  I think (hope) the album might be better than the song."

This is an album that I saw mentioned quite a lot in 2021, it was on all kinds of end of the year lists.  I wanted to hear it because it was so ubiquitous, but never got around to it.  Curiously enough, my first exposures to Pharaoh Sanders were from his time in some of John Coltrane's later quartets.  Earlier Coltrane is some of my favorite music ever, but while people really into the free jazz and avant-garde scenes eat up his last few albums, for me it mostly just goes off the rails.  Sun Ship is probably the album I appreciate most from that era, as the experimentation is more reigned in, always coming back to stability and not completely devolving into chaos.  So part of my delay in not checking out this album earlier is that Pharaoh was never one of my favorite players.  I respect his legendary status, and it's unfortunate that the world lost him since this album came out.  But like later Coltrane, his oeuvre tended towards the avant-garde and free jazz scenes, which I probably unfairly and hypocritically have tended to dismiss as "hipster jazz". 

Well, I am happy to confirm that this is mostly not that.  It's on the minimalistic side for my tastes, but it is very well-performed, and Pharaoh's saxophone playing blends well with the Tangerine Dream-esque electronics.  I especially like a lot of the background violin-esque gliding swells from the synthesizers.  They're in moments reminiscent of organ (which is also present in a sprinkles here and there elsewhere), but more clearly become their own voice as the track goes along.  In on particular spot the synth line blends into a very piquant timbre gradually starting around 5:14, where it's clearly two separate parts and sounds, but they blur together in a sonic vortex.  Other moments are more theremin-esque.  I'll have to look into the making of this album more to see if Floating Points describes any of the process of creation for this album. 

Overall there's kind of a relaxing and meditative vibe, and some of the synth textures are reminiscent of bird chirps.  At times I felt like I was levitating in a dream.  There is a good sense of space, probably in both senses of the word.  Pharaoh's playing stays on the softer, breathier end for quite awhile, and I wondered what it was leading to, whether there would be an maelstrom of sorts closer to the end.  Well, it never quite came, though it was hinted at.  7:27 is where it gets more intense, though not for long.  It's on the squawkier side of what I prefer, but it doesn't reach too extreme of levels, like I was worried it could given the history of players like him associated with the more out there jazz substyles. 

This is also billed as featuring the London Symphony Orchestra, but they don't seem to be particularly present on most of this track.  Perhaps they're responsible for a few of the moments of chromatic percussion.  This will definitely be an album I'll have to investigate at some point to see how the saxophone, electronics, and orchestral elements blend together. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
ariich - Nova Collective - "Cascades"

Early Impression - "Another song that's a bit further out from the round selections, but has some intriguing keyboard textures."

For a time I was a pretty big Haken fan, especially when I saw them live and bought a hoodie that I still occasionally wear around and fascinatingly enough has gotten a couple people to approach me about them.  For some reason (and surely much to Lethean's dismay) this has not yet happened with my Katatonia one.  So while my fandom has cooled off somewhat over time, I am still curious about music in their orbit, so even in spite of the more direct connection you have to them, I'm happy to finally give this side project a bit more time. 

There are a lot of compelling elements here, such as the guitar tapping intro with some savory cymbal work, which returns in a different form at 3:04, doubling with the ride, and ornamented with the bells and such.  I love the guitar tone at 4:13 with the sustained chords supporting the keyboard solo.  4:55 is interesting in bringing back a unison line from earlier in the song (possibly a variation of it), but the timbres are stronger now, giving it a fresh feel.  5:20 is a joy with the drum and then guitar solo, with some nice whammy dips and a dash of bravura, leading into that atmospheric tremolo-picked ending. 

There are many groovy bass lines, and I enjoyed how they synchronized with the tom accents like in the section at 0:30.   There are some neat tom fills throughout as well, 2:41 is such a classic prog-style passage with the herta tom fills and all.  Also some tasty snacks of cymbal stacks.  There is not quite enough incorporation of the splash cymbal, but some is better than none.  I also relish the side piccolo snare at 3:26. 

The guitar/keyboard unison lines like at 0:55 are striking.  The one at 1:23 is even better with the keyboard harmony on the left, with a really nice tone there. I like the grittiness of the tremolo Wurlitzer patch at 2:12 and later.  The keyboard motif at 2:16 is also rather catchy.  The organ punches in at certain moments, though it sounds a bit plain, like a stock ROMpler sample.  The Wurlitzer solo at 4:12 is definitely one of the highlights, with some nice phrasing there, and the delay effect on it gives it a spacey vibe.  The sound at 3:27 is easily the most enigmatic one of the song.  For the life of me I can't quite work out what it is.  The glides have a synthesizer portamento quality, but the run at 4:00 sounds picked.  It could be an actual guitar synthesizer I suppose.  The delayed mirror of moments of it on the left also adds mystery to it.  I wouldn't mind if your inside source spilled the beans as to how that sound was made.  :-) 

Ultimately this is where the round starts becoming hard to rank, because while everything before it had at least one glaring flaw that held it back, this doesn't really have any.  It's well-executed fusiony prog rock and I certainly won't mind listening to their other material, however, I just dug the songs later even more. 

Score:  7.5/10

---

Elite - Avishai Cohen Trio - "Pinzin Kinzin"

Early Impression - "This does way more with one note than it should be legal to get away with."

So here we have another artist that I have dabbled with, having heard and enjoyed an album, but definitely did not know well.  When I first discovered Aziza Mustafa Zadeh I thought of her as a singularity, being a relatively newer strain derived from jazz, but modernized, and with the inclusion of an array of other elements, in her case, classical and regional spices from her homeland.  While I still do not pay nearly the attention to new-ish jazz artists as I'd like to, having spent the bulk of my time in past years steeped in the 50s-60s era, I've slowly been running across artists like Avishai (also Tigran and others) who do have some commonalities in approach of amalgamating jazz with other styles. 

I could swear that intro is a quote from something, but exactly what it is has eluded me thus far.  Perhaps it'll hit me later, or you or someone else knows.  The central trick of this piece is anchoring most of the chords and melodies to that E pedaltone (which shifts to the 4th and or the 5th in a few spots), with the shifting progressions and rhythms dancing around it.  It's almost modal jazz without being modal jazz.  I appreciate how effortlessly it switches between the minor and major 3rds and 6ths. 

There are lots of other small highlights, like the timbre of the hats, such as at 1:45, and how they bounce around with the percussive attack of Avishai's upright parts.  Other salient items of note are the texture of the stack at 2:01, the flammed tom fills such as in the section starting at 4:27, the bass break at 2:43, and the buildup of how the bass mostly locks in with the piano right hand to ground the changes, but at 1:45 they simultaneously add a lot of movement to give the song a greater sense of direction.  This is one of those fascinating puzzle piece songs, where each instrument only partially makes sense on its own, but they integrate so well as part of the full rhythmic picture of the composition. 

---

Stadler - Sting - "Come Down In Time"

Early Impression - "Not enough double bass."

I almost wondered if I may have cursed you by talking about Elton John in a recent thread.  I don't know if that was the catalyst for choosing this song, or if you would have come up with it anyway, but the timing seemed suspicious.  I know I've heard the original before, but it wasn't one of my more played songs of Elton's.  But Sting has always been an artist I've wanted to become more familiar with.  I'm a casual fan of The Police, and have heard a few solo songs of his here and there over the years, and even own a few of his CDs (unplayed), but could never seem to bump him up higher in my listening queue.  So this helps with that. 

My first impression was definitely one of disappointment, it felt like another overly sparse arrangement, with minimal instrumentation, and nothing interesting production-wise either.  Those are highly risky, because it places such a high burden on the vocalist and melodies, and there are only so many singers who can pull that off (this will come up again much later).  There was some footage of Sting talking about choosing this song, and stripping it down so much was clearly his intention.  It's just a bit much for me, I especially wanted to hear more movement from his bass playing than just almost exclusively roots and octaves.  But for a superficially simple song, it does have some striking and unconventional chord changes and playing around with alternating aeolian and dorian modes. 

Ultimately I did wind up listening to this song quite a lot, as there is something compelling about the melody and Sting's vocals and delivery of it, which did save it from being near the bottom of the heap like it initially was, and it leapfrogged a number of songs which are more instrumentally dense and my writeups might otherwise suggest I should like them more than this one. 

---

Evermind - Evan Carson - "Otriad"

Early Impression - "The presence of a certain entity from the previous round might have been risky if you read all the writeups, but this might circumvent it."

So as I alluded to in my impression, if you noticed from last round, Jim Grey from Caligula's Horse was one of the complicated facets of that band that contributed to me saving their entry for last to give myself time to make sense of how I thought about his vocals.  That continues to an extent here, and I still find his mid-range more palatable than his upper range.  Partly a tad more familiarity, and partially his lesser usage of his higher range does make his voice less of a distraction here.  Overall, this is definitely a song that grew on me, both in terms of the song itself becoming better and better as it goes along, and in my feelings about it over the course of numerous listens. 

I've enjoyed some of iamthemorning's work, so having their pianist onboard to craft motifs is gratifying.  I might have to try and learn the opening piano run and add it to my repertoire.  That sequence of sextuplet runs at 3:46 is quite flavorous.  In a round with a number of songs with chord progressions more opaque and complex than I can work out without picking up an instrument and parsing through them, it's nice to hear some simpler harmonic tricks that I can figure out from my chair, like more usage of the phrygian dominant scale from the previous round. 

As my inclusion of Shakti for the round might suggest, I'm a bit of a sucker for violin in non-classical contexts, and it is well-employed here, like with the piano/violin octaves at 4:35, the soloing such as at 5:04, or the unisons at 6:24.  The tin whistle in that last section is enchanting as well.  Percussion is often an underrated and neglected spice to add some panache to a recording, and the bodhran here certainly delivers. 

---

Vmadera00 - Howe Wooten Chambers - "Bird's Eye View"

Early Impression - "This would be a mess if amateurs tried to create it."

But these are no amateurs.  So these players are all familiar to me in varying degrees.  Dennis has performed for lots of other fusion artists I've heard, like Niacin, CAB and such.  Victor has been all over the place, and I've even seen his solo band live a couple times.  I've heard the least from Greg, but I know I've heard something or another at a few points.  And I actually have a digital copy of this particular album on one of my hard drives, and have possibly heard it a time or two before, but if so it's been a very long time.  So that makes this another entry in the artists I'm aware of but have ignored too much category, and for that I'm grateful, because Howe in particular deserves a lot more props. 

He has a dazzling command of clean and funky rhythm parts, with some splendid textural chorused comping.  And that hybrid-picked line at 1:22 that repeats a few times is just impossibly cool.  But the real highlight is that he's an even better soloist than I'd realized.  His panoply of rhythmic variety, texture, and phrasing is just immaculate.  There are lots of fun whammy dips and such, and the pinch harmonics at 4:21 are especially electrifying.  I'm a huge Tony MacAlpine fan, but when it comes to this style, at least based on this tune, Greg might be better.  It's kind of funny that all of these former Shrapnel players used to be criticized for being one-trick shred ponies early in their careers, and yet the most prominent ones have all gone on to display great versatility - Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, Tony MacAlpine, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, etc.  Maybe they had something to prove, or perhaps they had it in them all along, but Greg certainly makes his case here. 

Dennis and Victor anchor everything well, that high snare cuts through the mix really well, and the bass harmonics really pop out, along with all kinds of great fills and such.  And while obviously the highlight is on the three main players, even the keyboards get in on the action with some complementary parts and an energetic wah Rhodes solo later on. 

Score:  7.75/10

---

Tomislav95 - The Reign of Kindo - "The Moments In Between"

Early Impression - "Hey look, some vocal falsettos I don't mind."

As I hinted back a couple pages ago, I've checked out a bit of their material before.  Their name has kept popping up, and there was something strangely intriguing about it.  This is quite a feast for the ears of rhythmic patterns.  The guitar rhythm sounds a bit more broken up, the piano is mostly playing triplets, and the ride is playing this crazy 4/3 pattern which is rather unusual.  And that's not even the coolest part, which is the ride rhythm at 3:55.  The dance of rhythms between the piano and the clean guitar parts in the verse is quite captivating.  The little piano flourish at 0:50 is nice, or the break at 1:46.  I also like the guitar swells such as at 2:36. 

Particularly in the previous round, I noted that vocal falsettos can be a rankling element for me at times, but here I don't mind them at all.  The chorus was starting to stick in my head after a few plays.  There are some exquisite vocal harmonies as well.  I love the interlocking lead and backing vocals like at 4:26. 

With so many longer songs in the first couple rounds, I've become accustomed to lengthier song structures, so I found myself saying "aww man, it's already over" the first few times after the initial play.  At first I wasn't sure I liked it as much as a few of the songs of theirs I'd listened to last year, but it's definitely grown on me and this will be a priority band to spend more time with in the new year. 

Score:  8.25/10

---

twosuitluke - Seatbelts - "Tank!"

Early Impression - "Is Alec Baldwin about to take the stage?"

So as I alluded to in my PM, I have a slight bit of history with this song.  In college one of the elective courses I took was on jazz history, which fueled this burgeoning area of my taste.  At some point one enterprising student in the class showed this song to the teacher, Cowboy Bebop being a more popular show for the younger demographic at the time (though unknown to me), and the teacher wound up playing it for the whole class later.  So this song has the approval of a professional saxophone player and jazz connoisseur/historian.  I know I found it online at the time and listened to it a few times, but I had kind of forgotten about it and hadn't heard it in a long time, so I'm glad you've brought it back to my attention. 

This is easily the most fun song of the round.  It's basically a 12-bar blues made jazzier, with the double bass and acoustic doubling the bluesy bass line, the delicious bongo accompaniment, the excellent saxophone solo, the snappy hi-hat barks, the horn section flourishes (the left/right-panned call and response at 0:39 is a nice moment), the punchy Hammond organ in the background, it all works together really well.  The shaker hard-panned on the left is almost constant, but the hard right-panned acoustic is more intermittent, but in moments when they sync up rhythmically it almost fools the ear into making it sound like there are two acoustics playing at once, another enjoyable novel element.  1:58 and 2:16 almost sound like the saxophone is laughing, which is indicative of the good time this tune is. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:33:43 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Lethean - Kiko Loureiro - "Ojos Verdes"

Early Impression - "I suspected that this person had this kind of range, but this demonstrably proves it."

So here we have another example of a musician I know, but mostly in other contexts.  I've heard the last few Megadeth albums, a few Angra albums, have watched various Youtube videos, and heard his solo album from '20, plus the occasional other random track here and there.  I had heard that he had some less rock and metal-centric output, but hadn't really ever gotten more than a taste of it. 

I really like his style and phrasing here.  There is a perfect balance of percussive precision when called for, Al DiMeola-ish at times, and incredible fluidity in other spots.  The tone and some of the whammy dips are very Jeff Beck-esque, with another great low-gain lead tone.  The solo from 2:06 to 3:10 is just masterful.  2:36 in particular is a really delightful small segment. 

I'm not familiar with the other players on this recording to my knowledge, but they more than hold their own.  The drumming is really tasty, with the tight snare that really pops out, the higher-pitched toms and accents (the small bit in the solo at 5:10 is fabulous), and the ride bell patterns.  There is also some solid piano comping and soloing.  The bass doesn't really get any solo attention, but has quite engaging lines on its own underpinning the other instrumentation, and the guitar/piano/bass unisons are excellent. 

---

TAC - Altherya - "In Flanders Fields"

Early Impression - "Definitely on the more tenuous of connections to the round themes, but it does check a few boxes, and a good song is a good song."

This has a bit of an unusual intro, where it takes five chords to climb to the key of the song, I suppose almost like being dropped right into battle, which the poem it is based on memorializes.  Supposedly the poem was sometimes used for war propaganda, but this gives it a more properly somber tone, which is elevated with the vocal earnesty.  I enjoy how it is bookended with both a piano intro and outro. 

This is not normally the type of song I would expect the bass playing to be one of the highlights, so that was quite serendipitous.  It has a really nice full tone, and some creative lines and fills most noticeable in the softer sections.  The guitar solo felt a bit underwhelming on the first listen, but a few listens later and now it feels just right, letting notes linger at times, and with just the right amount of flair in a few choice spots, particularly the triplet descent at 4:37, which scales right back up nicely with the reverse octave lick, a rather uncommon one that grabbed my attention on subsequent listens. 

So I must say it was a little jarring when I checked out the Rate Your Music entry for the album this song is from, and observed that the ratings are pretty mediocre.  Sometimes the hive mind there is just plain wrong, and hopefully when I check out the whole album they'll bear that out.  One review from another site I skimmed did indicate that this was the best song on the album though. 

---

SoundscapeMN - Greg Herriges - "Rama Be Good"

Early Impression - "This excels in combining two of my songs, while bringing in an element I'm not sure you knew I liked, but definitely makes this selection stand out."

As my selection of Shakti as one of the round themes hints at, the merging of elements of Indian classical music with Western music is an area that has long fascinated me.  And I am thrilled that this is such a stellar blending of them.  My first reaction that would have been too specific is that this kind of sounds like a mixture of Shakti and artists associated with the CandyRat label.  Many plays later I don't hear that so much, it definitely has its own personality, but it would certainly have appeal to fans of that sort of instrumental, virtuosic but tasteful sound, of which I am obviously one. 

One of the instruments I play is mandolin, including octave mandolin, which is somewhat similar to the bouzouki that Greg is playing in this, so I enjoy that flavor.  Like Avishai Cohen's piece earlier, this really makes a lot of usage out of the drone D that anchors most of this song, mixing mixolydian and aeolian modes very fluidly, while suggesting the presence of what in more proper Indian classical would be the role of the tanpura to ground the piece.  The auxiliary guitar work also melds well with Greg's primary parts.  I always looked forward to that little flurry of notes at 1:24 and other spots, it's synchronized impossibly well among all of the instruments.  The tabla playing is splendid, and mixes superbly with the other percussion, which is hard to find information online for, it appears to be some type of frame drum. 

The biggest surprise of the song was certainly the vocals, and is definitely one of the resplendent standouts of this live version over the studio recording.  One of my absolute favorite vocalists is Sheila Chandra, and I'm always but never frequently enough on the hunt for other similar vocalists, so I'll have to look into Pooja's other efforts. 

Score:  8.75/10

---

Sacul - Mammal Hands - "Quiet Fire"

Early Impression - "This incorporates a risky musical element, but makes more judicious use of it than several other songs did, making it feel more earned."

In earlier entries I noted that noisier components can bring a song down if they are too prominent, but this is a song that gets it right.  The interlocking of the different saxophone and piano motifs is sublime, sometimes playing different but similar patterns, other times trading off between taking more of a background role while the other shines.  Around 3:28 the saxophone work gets squawkier for a bit, with some background ambiance that is a bit tricky to make out.  But more than earlier songs, here it actually feels earned, and instead has a more entrancing effect. 

The drum work is noteworthy all around, with cross-sticking, tom accents and such.  The cymbals have a drier sound than I expected, with a much quicker decay, but it's effective here.  Normally I notice the absence of bass more often, but somehow the bass drum and lower end of the piano makes up enough for it to not be too noticeable unless I'm really looking for it, though having Avishai Cohen from an earlier song or a similar cat might have made this song more extraordinary. 

Score:  8.75/10

---

HOF - Yaatri - "Vipassana"

Early Impression - "Am I in heaven?  I don't know how you figured out how to combine elements of all three songs, but you did."

Now this is a masterclass in arranging.  There are so many different elements coming in and out, and it all just works so seamlessly, with endless colorful variation.  This song must be a synesthesiast's dream.  100 listens in and I'm sure I'll continue to notice bits I previously overlooked, which is always a good quality for a song to have if it can keep them from being overwhelming. 

For the first few plays this was my favorite song of the round, and I was marveling at the sorcery involved for you to strike gold twice in a row. At first I wasn't sure this song could be beaten.  Well, by the fourth listen the next song had caught fire and edged it out, but I am gracing both with the same score, regardless, they are more or less equals in very different ways. 

My favorite moment is that while the vocals are drier when they are doubling the guitar line, at 1:32 and other spots the reverb and a vocal double-track is faded in, which really makes the song bloom and gives it this celestial feel, which is intoxicating.  The former part has a bit of a Return To Forever Light As a Feather vibe with the vocals and Rhodes keyboard.  To go along with the increase in vocal ethereality, the half-step chord progression is quite riveting. 

There is much else to cherish here as well though, like the textured hat work and how it blends with the other percussion, or the saxophone and trumpet parts creating an engaging sonic concoction with the synthesizer patches.  4:13 is fascinating in how it's a repeat of an earlier section, but there's a bit more urgency, and bringing in the lower range piano to double the line really adds some weight to it.  4:42 is likewise piquant, continuing the half-step progression, with seemingly not as much going on, but with a really lush feel with the synthesizer pads, and all of the delectable percussion.  There is so much going on that it would be easy to overlook the foundation the bass is laying, but it provides great complementary lines and a few fills to undergird the other elements.  This song does so much right that I think I might have been ok with it ending in a more chill fashion, but the drums propelling the song to an aural wash of delight at the conclusion made it even more euphoric. 

Score:  9/10

---

Nachtmerrie - Caro Emerald - "I Know That He's Mine"

Early Impression - "This is a sparse arrangement done right."

So with Tomino not quite working for me, Sting outperforming early expectations, but ultimately bringing up the middle of the pack, we have our first minimalistic arrangement that knocks it out of the park.  I found it intriguing right away, but thought it might still just remain a bit above average for the round.  Well, by the fourth listen the embers had turned into a blaze, and I could just not stop listening to this one. 

There are two keys to this song for me.  Most important are the vocals, which are my favorite of the round by a decent margin.  A really good vocalist and a melody that sticks with you are coveted musical commodities, and this song has both in spades.  I periodically go on binges of trying to find more great Dutch vocalists in the rock/metal arena, but this is proof that I need to broaden my scope to other genres as well.  Caro has a wonderful tone, a slight vibrato in the right spots, and I love how she smoothly goes in and out of straight rhythms vs. the triplet feel of some passages. 

The second key is that while the instrumentation is quite bare, there is a magic echo box that turns out to be a secret ingredient.  It's quite subtle at first, but starts being incorporated increasingly at various points, which contributes a layer of production interest and panache.  With the vocals it adds this rolling burble on the right, and with the acoustic guitar it's a bit more varied, with these shimmering holds and slapback delays at certain moments.  Turns out that apparently it's a temperamental old Italian analog unit, but it worked wonders on this track. 

Like the Sting track, the upright bass is mostly in the background, and I wouldn't have minded if it was just a tad more active, but there were at least a few more sliding tones, walking lines and passing notes to look forward to.  If everything else in the track wasn't working so well for me I might find the guitar solo a bit barren for my tastes, but with the magic echo box at work I don't mind it so much.  At 1:11 there's also that fun James Bond-esque 5th, minor 6th, major 6th, minor 6th movement. 

I also checked out several other arrangements of this song on other releases of Caro's, and it never ceases to amaze me how many different things you can do with the bones of a song, completely changing the feel with alternate instrumentation and mood.  This was the right selection though, with it being a showcase for her vivacious vocal prowess.  There are other songs in the round with more exemplary instrumentation, but the ensorcelling vocals really put this over the top. 

Score:  9/10

---

Current Standings:

HOF ----------------- 18
Nachtmerrie --------- 17.25
SoundscapeMN ------- 16.75
TAC --------------------- 16.5
Lethean ----------------- 16
Sacul --------------------- 16
twosuitluke --------------- 15.75
Stadler --------------------- 15.5
ariich ------------------------ 15.25
Evermind --------------------- 15.25
Tomislav95 -------------------- 15.25
Puppies_On_Acid -------------- 15
senecadawg2 ----------------- 15
Vmadera00 ------------------ 15
romdrums ------------------ 14.25
Buddyhunter1 ------------- 14
Elite ----------------------- 14
soupytwist --------------- 13.25
Crow -------------------- 12.75

---

Round 3:

Remember, no mystery songs for round 3.  Just send up to 15:00 of music from one artist to lithojazzosphere@outlook.com, Youtube links preferred.  Just make sure they're in order if you're hoping to create some mini-EP-like flow, though I'm not grading it on that quality per se. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 05:38:04 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Should have sent The Comet Is Coming instead. :P

Also I'm pretty sure that's the only song on that album with Adam Neeley's vocals so you might enjoy the rest of it more.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 10:03:51 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
looking at three of the bottom 4 placements i think we're just not gonna get along  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I wonder given you have 18 songs to go through with these, it might be helpful to divide up your work on them in half.

I.e., do the 1st 9, and then the 2nd 9. It might delay some things, but it could make your workload a little easier.

19 actually!  I'll keep that possibility in mind if I need to change things up at some point, but I don't think it would suit my workflow very well.  In receiving and giving the first three listens to everything I'm pretty structured and methodical, but by later listens it becomes very spontaneous, and after I post the impressions I work on whichever writeups I feel like at the moment.  Round one I started with my suspected favorite songs of the round, and this one I did the opposite, trying to crank out the ones that didn't appeal to me as much first.  The final edits became more systematic again trying to tighten up all of the details and make sure I didn't overlook anything, but inbetween I just work on whatever comes to me as I listen to whatever I feel like in the moment, sometimes listening to the top songs more because I really like them, sometimes to bottom ones to try and hear what maybe I'm missing regarding them, or the middle ones because they bunch up and establishing a hierarchy is a bit more maddening, particularly at first. 

It's about the same amount of time either way, and I don't suspect having the "burden" of doing half at first would really help, especially when I'm not even sure what half that would be yet, unless it's strictly alphabetical or in order of submission reception.  Particularly when I'm likely to feel an urge to listen to an earlier song and notice some other little detail I didn't catch in prior listening sessions, but by then the writeup would already be out.  This was just a harder round because of holidays, end of year distractions, and unexpected life issues to deal with.  I'm sure there will be rougher spots in later rounds too at times, but it should be generally more smooth sailing now, I had anticipated this round would be a tough one. 

Online HOF

Awesome! Now I have to come up with something to send. Almost easier with the mystery songs as a prompt!

There are two Yaatri albums (one is technically an EP) and I think you’d enjoy them both if you liked that song. Really like their blend of Asian/Indian music and modern jazz. This most recent one also has some more rock/prog type moments as well, but both are great.

Edit: I should have been in bed an hour ago, but sent!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:43:28 PM by HOF »

Offline Lethean

Not a bad score. :)

I like Kiko's playing a lot, and more than that I think he's a great songwriter.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Oh man I suck!  ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Got some work to do, gotta step up my game for future rounds  :hat
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

---

Stadler - Sting - "Come Down In Time"

Early Impression - "Not enough double bass."

I almost wondered if I may have cursed you by talking about Elton John in a recent thread.  I don't know if that was the catalyst for choosing this song, or if you would have come up with it anyway, but the timing seemed suspicious.  I know I've heard the original before, but it wasn't one of my more played songs of Elton's.  But Sting has always been an artist I've wanted to become more familiar with.  I'm a casual fan of The Police, and have heard a few solo songs of his here and there over the years, and even own a few of his CDs (unplayed), but could never seem to bump him up higher in my listening queue.  So this helps with that. 

My first impression was definitely one of disappointment, it felt like another overly sparse arrangement, with minimal instrumentation, and nothing interesting production-wise either.  Those are highly risky, because it places such a high burden on the vocalist and melodies, and there are only so many singers who can pull that off (this will come up again much later).  There was some footage of Sting talking about choosing this song, and stripping it down so much was clearly his intention.  It's just a bit much for me, I especially wanted to hear more movement from his bass playing than just almost exclusively roots and octaves.  But for a superficially simple song, it does have some striking and unconventional chord changes and playing around with alternating aeolian and dorian modes. 

Ultimately I did wind up listening to this song quite a lot, as there is something compelling about the melody and Sting's vocals and delivery of it, which did save it from being near the bottom of the heap like it initially was, and it leapfrogged a number of songs which are more instrumentally dense and my writeups might otherwise suggest I should like them more than this one. 

No, it wasn't the Elton John reference that triggered this; that was a coincidence.  I heard your mystery songs and as I've noted I'm going with gut feel gut reaction here, and it took about 4 seconds for me to think "Vince Guaraldi".  I often cite "Linus and Lucy" as my favorite song of all time, but I've dug into Vince beyond his work with the Peanuts gang and he's one of my favorites.  THere's just not a lot LIKE him out there that resonates with me the same way. He's got a bounciness to him but with a different sensibility than a lot of the jazz in that style (I'm not an aficionado, so I don't know what words to use here).   Sting has - sometimes effectively, sometimes pretentiously - forayed into that jazz realm, and "Come Down In Time" - maybe because it's on a compilation and not one of his albums - seemed to be the nice middle ground for that.

If you're interested in pursuing more "Sting", his first three or four solo albums are each very different.  I personally like "Ten Summoner's Tales" the best; it's a great mix of the pop he's so good at (but looks down his nose at) and the jazz he loves (but disappears up his ass with too often).   Then "...Nothing Like The Sun" or "The Soul Cages"; ...NLTS is the better album, but TSC has the deeper meaning and the better story (it's about his father dying and confronting the writer's block he got after that event).  I don't like "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles" (his first solo album); it's too pretentious, and Sting doesn't play any bass on the record, it's all Darryl Jones (The Stones) who is good, but I want to hear STING play bass. He's got a great individual style I like a lot. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Top 3 of the round let's goooo :metal.

Sad to see such a low score for Comforting Sounds but I certainly understand why it wasn't your thing.

Now that I kinda know what you like, let's see what I can find ;D

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
So the two songs I want to send for this round come out to... 14 minutes and 59 seconds. Fuck yeah. :metal

EDIT: And sent. Hoping for my strongest submission thus far!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:54:28 AM by Buddyhunter1 »

Offline SoundscapeMN

just wondering if more than 1 song is sent for this "Free For All" round, can songs from more than 1 Artist/Band be part of that, just as long as it's no more than 15 minutes?

I suppose part of the score is to have those multiple songs flow together in some ways would support sending multiple songs from 1 band/artist and likely from the same album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
There are two Yaatri albums (one is technically an EP) and I think you’d enjoy them both if you liked that song. Really like their blend of Asian/Indian music and modern jazz. This most recent one also has some more rock/prog type moments as well, but both are great.

Spoiler alert: I've already listened to their album from this year and it'll definitely be somewhere on my year-end-list.  None of the other tracks were quite as good as that one, and I probably won't have time for multiple listens to see if they grow on me since I need to throw my lists together in the next few days before all the roulette submissions trickle in.  But they're definitely priority listening going forward. 

On that note, I also checked out Avishai Cohen's from this year.  I don't know if this will make Elite feel better or worse, but while I did like the song from the round despite it not quite placing in the top half, I think I like his '22 album even more. 

just wondering if more than 1 song is sent for this "Free For All" round, can songs from more than 1 Artist/Band be part of that, just as long as it's no more than 15 minutes?

I suppose part of the score is to have those multiple songs flow together in some ways would support sending multiple songs from 1 band/artist and likely from the same album.

Just one artist, but multiple songs from them are perfectly fine, even encouraged, as long as they don't add up to more than 15 minutes of music.  I'm not scoring flow, but it does give people some flexibility to find songs that sequence well together to enhance the listening experience, whether they're in the same order on the album, or even on separate ones.  If it's just a few random songs from an artist in no particular order that's ok as well, as long as the songs are good enough.  It also gives the potential to showcase different sounds and the breadth of an artist if you want to do that, since sometimes that's difficult to demonstrate with a single song.  The possibility of including multiple artists in the same submission will be for the custom EP round later on. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

That went pretty well.
Round 3 sent.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
And without a hint of jazz even!  Well, it has the same score as the three below (above?) it, and those may or may not always actually be in order, so you really can only be sure it's top 8, but hey, still not bad!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent my mystery songs for the next round!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Sent
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
I sent a reply.   :lol

Offline Lethean

Litho, what are the rules for the 45 minute EP going to be?  Minimum number of bands?  Max number of tracks from the same band, anything like that?

Also, if you have unrated albums on your rate your music, does that mean you really haven't heard the album or just never got around to rating it?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:26:39 PM by Lethean »