Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488313 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6895 on: August 13, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »
Just finished The Last of Us 2. I gotta say, I really enjoyed playing as Abby more than Ellie. I liked the storyline more and some of the settings more, like the sky bridges. There was also less clicker battles and more human battles, which I enjoyed more. The clickers got repetitive while human gun battles were so much fun mainly because of the brutality aspect. There was something satisfying about getting a head shot and hearing them struggle to breath with a throat shot or seeing the aftermath (sounds kinda weird typing that out) but I found the combat to be so much fun.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #6896 on: August 13, 2020, 08:14:43 PM »
It just needs more games in general.  Unless it totally changes when you get to the top 10?  I have only one I think 4 games so haven't gotten to the end.
Not playing it myself (don't have a PS4, PC not able to anymore) but I'm watching it a little bit on Twitch. There's 25 different minigames in it at the moment, but yours is a very common complaint because some games seem to appear more than others. As far as the first round goes I think there's only three possibile minigames for that, so that round in particular ends up feeling especially repetitive.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6897 on: August 14, 2020, 08:11:31 AM »
Finished Ori and the Blind Forest last night. Great game, really lovely visuals and fantastic music. I am a little peeved that it won't let me go back and pick up the few things I missed now that I've finished it, though.

When I was hanging out with my family last week, I played a bit of Hollow Knight that my sister had downloaded for their Switch, and I kind of want to get it, but I think I ought to finish up a few more of the games I've already got first.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6898 on: August 15, 2020, 09:50:25 AM »
Finished Ori and the Blind Forest last night. Great game, really lovely visuals and fantastic music. I am a little peeved that it won't let me go back and pick up the few things I missed now that I've finished it, though.

When I was hanging out with my family last week, I played a bit of Hollow Knight that my sister had downloaded for their Switch, and I kind of want to get it, but I think I ought to finish up a few more of the games I've already got first.

I was really impressed with Ori and the Blind Forest. I thought it had a pretty good level of challenge. Beautiful game and fun gameplay. The sequel is on my Wishlist.

Hollow Knight was really good too. The difficulty frustrated me at times but overall, it's a great game. Lots of bang for the buck.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6899 on: August 15, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
So I bought Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. Booted it up and saw the intro screen but saw that someone mentioned that it's recommended to update your GPU driver so I did just that but now the damn game crashes on startup constantly. Not sure what's the issue.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6900 on: August 15, 2020, 02:41:47 PM »
So I bought Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday. Booted it up and saw the intro screen but saw that someone mentioned that it's recommended to update your GPU driver so I did just that but now the damn game crashes on startup constantly. Not sure what's the issue.  :-\
As far as I know, that game still has tons of technical problems on PC that still haven't been worked out. You have people with the exact same hardware where one crashes on startup or has terrible framerates, while the other has no issues at all. It's weird.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #6901 on: August 15, 2020, 06:20:27 PM »
Just read that Lazlow Jones left Rockstar now too. The voice of Chatterbox, VCRock, and other GTA radio stations and writer on Red Dead Redemption. It makes me feel like we’ll never see another game like RDR2 or GTA like we have.

I read something a while back that they will release the game not 100% finished but will add to it as time passes. Obviously just rumors, but I feel like without Dan Houser, we won’t see a game from Rockstar like we have prior
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6902 on: August 16, 2020, 03:15:26 AM »
As far as I know, that game still has tons of technical problems on PC that still haven't been worked out. You have people with the exact same hardware where one crashes on startup or has terrible framerates, while the other has no issues at all. It's weird.
Yea it's weird, I reinstalled the game last night. Will see later if that did something.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6903 on: August 16, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »

What it feels like to finish of a hard duel in Ghost of Tsushima.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6904 on: August 16, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »

What it feels like to finish of a hard duel in Ghost of Tsushima.

:rollin

There were a couple in there that had me so tense and on the edge of my seat that I reacted similarly when i got the final blow in  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6905 on: August 16, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for ps4 on sale for 5 bucks. Pretty cool game so far. Tons of ways to play each mission

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6906 on: August 16, 2020, 04:59:12 PM »

I was really impressed with Ori and the Blind Forest. I thought it had a pretty good level of challenge. Beautiful game and fun gameplay. The sequel is on my Wishlist.

Hollow Knight was really good too. The difficulty frustrated me at times but overall, it's a great game. Lots of bang for the buck.

Ori is a great game. I think on the whole I enjoyed playing Hollow Knight more, but the difficulty was greater, and I gave up at the boss with the 6 Knights. I don't recall what it was called, but I never beat more than 2 of them. 

Picked up Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for ps4 on sale for 5 bucks. Pretty cool game so far. Tons of ways to play each mission

That is a steal! Enjoy! I loved that game, and Human Revolution.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6907 on: August 16, 2020, 05:05:39 PM »
I saved the Watcher Knights until the end so I was upgraded enough to make quick work of them. You can kill one of them with a chandelier before the fight too so you only fight 5 instead of 6.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6908 on: August 16, 2020, 05:08:02 PM »
I saved the Watcher Knights until the end so I was upgraded enough to make quick work of them. You can kill one of them with a chandelier before the fight too so you only fight 5 instead of 6.

I knew that trick. I am sure I am not powered up enough, though I think when I did a check online I am close to the end(?) I just don't have the time or patience to backtrack and get more powered up.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6909 on: August 17, 2020, 08:39:00 AM »
Review embargo has been lifted for FS2020 and I think I can give my take of playing the beta the past few weeks:

- The game is visually stunning, like truly amazing what they have been able to pull off. Neighborhoods look real and are rendered beautifully. That said don't expect your house to look exactly the same as it does in real life, it will be a rough approximation of the bing map data that they have as well as out of date. For example my neighborhood shows 3 homes still under construction.
- The real life weather system is another amazing part of the game, night time lightning looks incredible
- This game is one hell of a system hog. I have a i9-9900k, 2080 and running at ultra I can usually only get 45fps at ground level taking off at 1080p. If you have the ram the game will use it, I've seen it use as much as 29 gigs of ram.
- The game controls are trash and borderline unplayable compared to old flight sims. Take this with a huge, HUGE grain of salt because I was playing a build that was clearly not done but keyboard controls did not work, mouse as yoke was an option but never worked. The only way I'd get to take off is by letting the AI do it and then take control later. I'm sure this is fixed at release
- The game is a 80 gig download, and you can control how much real world weather and satellite data is streamed in so you can adjust as needed if you have a metered connection. The download is a lot but CoD as it stands is 220+ gigs

My advice is unless you are a massive FS fan then get gamepass and try it for a month, if you love it you can always buy it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6910 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:01 AM »
My rig would probably be able to run it fairly well, but based solely on the comments about the controls being trash and using THAT much RAM, I may pass on this, as gorgeous as it is and how much I want to try it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6911 on: August 17, 2020, 09:29:19 AM »
Don't pass on it, get it on gamepass and try it out. One thing to consider is I was playing a beta build so I'm sure they've made some improvements for the final release.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6912 on: August 17, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
Don't pass on it, get it on gamepass and try it out. One thing to consider is I was playing a beta build so I'm sure they've made some improvements for the final release.

Didn't even think about gamepass, sweet! Gonna keep my eyes peeled then.  :metal

Ghost of Tsushima free co-op mode coming this fall. Don't think I'll try it - I hate multiplayer and co-op - but that is awesome.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6913 on: August 17, 2020, 09:35:52 AM »
I saw that! I'm going to buckle and pick up Ghost this week. I don't know if i"m going to finish Mass Effect 2, I'm enjoying the game but the pace has really slowed down and I'm at the point where i"m just running errands for different members of my team.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6914 on: August 17, 2020, 10:05:13 AM »
I'm not really into simulator games so I don't plan on playing the new FS, but it does look great.  Sucks if the controls are trash, I feel like that is maybe the most important thing for any game.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6915 on: August 17, 2020, 10:32:11 AM »
From what I gather Microsoft is heavily leaning onto making a lot of their games an ongoing service, which fits the gamepass model. I assume Flight Simulator will be finetuned for many years to come, including it's controls. I know a lot of gamers are sceptical about games as a service, but for some games it really works out, despite a bunch of them releasing quite roughly. Flight Simulator seems to be a title where the service model just fits.

I also have to give Microsoft props for how they handle the delisting of their Forza titles. Horizon 3 will be delisted next month (music and car licences expire), so they announced it and put everything on a major sale. Bought the base game for 10 euros and the expansion pass for 10 euros. Cruising around an open world Australia is cool and the Hot Wheels expansion is simply awesome. If you like racers and like racing around in an open world, it doesn't get much better than the Horizon games. In a time where over the top arcade racers are rare, Forza having these add ons is amazing (Lego for Horizon 4 and Hot Wheels for Horizon 3).

Note for those interested: the Ultimate edition of Horizon does NOT include the two major DLCs.

Also, very cool to have a free multiplayer add on for Ghost.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6916 on: August 17, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »
I also have to give Microsoft props for how they handle the delisting of their Forza titles. Horizon 3 will be delisted next month (music and car licences expire), so they announced it and put everything on a major sale. Bought the base game for 10 euros and the expansion pass for 10 euros. Cruising around an open world Australia is cool and the Hot Wheels expansion is simply awesome. If you like racers and like racing around in an open world, it doesn't get much better than the Horizon games. In a time where over the top arcade racers are rare, Forza having these add ons is amazing (Lego for Horizon 4 and Hot Wheels for Horizon 3).

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'm not really a fan of racing games much however the Forza Horizon games in recent years have really piqued my interest and if I can get FH3 for super cheap that would be awesome! Going to look at that once my Internet is up and running again

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6917 on: August 17, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
I'm a Sony man through and through and love racing games, but will never own an Xbox, so Forza is out of the question for me.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6918 on: August 17, 2020, 10:54:40 AM »
I'm a Sony man through and through and love racing games, but will never own an Xbox, so Forza is out of the question for me.

I would kill for GT3 remastered. The last release in the franchise was such a let down. It somehow didn't feel like a Gran Turismo.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6919 on: August 17, 2020, 10:59:55 AM »
- The game controls are trash and borderline unplayable compared to old flight sims. Take this with a huge, HUGE grain of salt because I was playing a build that was clearly not done but keyboard controls did not work, mouse as yoke was an option but never worked. The only way I'd get to take off is by letting the AI do it and then take control later. I'm sure this is fixed at release
I mean, not to be like that but I hope that anyone that want's to get the most out of this game is atleast buying a joystick. I could never even imagine playing a flight sim without a Joystick and Hands on throttle. Sure, that's pricey for some but that's the way to go if you ask me. Throw in TrackIR and you're somewhat on the right track. Those things will enhance the gameplay experience immensly.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6920 on: August 17, 2020, 11:26:47 AM »
I don't disagree with you Boom however I've played most of the earlier FS installments and this was a huge step backward.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6921 on: August 17, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »

That is a steal! Enjoy! I loved that game, and Human Revolution.

Yeah, that's a great deal at $5.  I also jumped into this franchise at Human Revolution.  Loved both games (though, I thought the story in HR was better than MD).
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6922 on: August 17, 2020, 11:33:33 AM »
I don't disagree with you Boom however I've played most of the earlier FS installments and this was a huge step backward.
I understand, I mean playing with key and mouse should atleast work well so hopefully they get that sorted out. I'm just saying that to get the most out of the game peripherals are needed.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6923 on: August 17, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »

I am honestly not that fond of the regular Forza titles, GT is where it is at for me for the sims (despite almost any post-ps2 GT having some major drawbacks).

Horizon is more of an arcade experience, but it uses the mainline Forza depth to it's advantage (physics, tuning). Horizon 3 and 4 are really good, kind of hope Sony will take a look and make it's own open world racer but I doubt it.

I am a Sony guy as well, got a One for cheap (actually cost me nothing due to a trade-in of my old ps4, I got gifted a pro). Since it has backwards compatibility for many games I wanted to play, it was worth it for me.

One thing I dislike is that Sony closed both the studios behind WRC/Motorstorm/Driveclub and Wipeout. Dammit, Driveclub had a false start but eventually became great and that Wipeout HD collection is amazing, also one of the best VR games out there. Now it is just the GT studio. Well at least they are making GT7. But unless Sony invests in another racing studio, or expands on Polyphony, I doubt we will get more Sony racers than that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6924 on: August 18, 2020, 07:11:28 AM »
Does anyone with the new FS want to do a flyby of where I grew up and show me what it looks like?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6925 on: August 18, 2020, 07:13:32 AM »
I can, I'm currently downloading 90 gigs of it. They have drone mode in the game so I'll be able to get a better view.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6926 on: August 18, 2020, 07:21:38 AM »
So the last couple nights I got antsy and finally pushed past chapter 4 in Red Dead Redemption 2. Started chapter 6 last night. Just wow, what a ride that entire section of the game was. Didn't see any of that coming. Sooo good.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6927 on: August 18, 2020, 07:21:50 AM »
Flight simulator looks great. It looks like it will eventually have an xbox one release, so I will definitely check it when that becomes available.

Reaper, do you see yourself ever doing real life flight lessons?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6928 on: August 18, 2020, 07:24:57 AM »
I can, I'm currently downloading 90 gigs of it. They have drone mode in the game so I'll be able to get a better view.

Nice! Thanks.

34 Apple Hill Drive
Watertown CT, 06795

I'm curious how the game handles it. It's out in a remote area that got way less satellite data than more populated areas.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6929 on: August 18, 2020, 07:35:25 AM »

Nice! Thanks.

34 Apple Hill Drive
Watertown CT, 06795

I'm curious how the game handles it. It's out in a remote area that got way less satellite data than more populated areas.

30 gigs in so far, will let you know once I get in!

Flight simulator looks great. It looks like it will eventually have an xbox one release, so I will definitely check it when that becomes available.

Reaper, do you see yourself ever doing real life flight lessons?

I've done a few intro lessons years ago when I lived in Florida. I always wanted to learn to fly but it's pretty cost prohibitive hobby but once FS VR releases in the fall it might be worth getting a nice flight set up for home.