Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488364 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5740 on: December 13, 2019, 07:42:17 AM »
 :lol @ the Xbox name and look

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5741 on: December 13, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
In Japan it's apparently being called the Butt X.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5742 on: December 13, 2019, 08:18:06 AM »
Yeah, that xbox definitely looks silly  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5743 on: December 13, 2019, 08:52:14 AM »

It's a beefy PC-tower rectangular beast of a system. Kinda like they turned the original Xbox power supply into a full blown console  :lol I'm not too keen on the shape but then again Microsoft is my least preferred of the three big gaming industry players. At least they perfected the controller. The XBONE controller is a delight to hold. Sony really needs to learn how to make a good controller.

I would argue that the DS4 is the best controller in the history of gaming. I wouldn't change a thing other than replacing the touch button with a number of regular buttons. I find it incredibly comfortable and the shoulder buttons and triggers are placed perfectly. I'd be content with Sony never changing it.

No exaggeration, I'm genuinely shocked someone would say that, no offense. Nintendo and Microsoft got it right with the staggered analog stick placement. I can't play a Dual Shock controller for more than a few minutes without my hands starting to hurt because of the equal stick placement and overall poor design (imo) of the controller, feels like junky cheap plastic to me. I'm honestly baffled that Sony's gone 25 years without changing the stick placement. The controllers also seem to have no weight to them like the Xbox or Switch Pro controllers do. But that's just me. I would seriously play PlayStation games if the controllers were comfortable and enjoyable to use. Genuinely surprised people like it.

That's precisely why I hate the Microsoft and Nintendo controllers  :lol Having the sticks out of alignment makes no sense!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5744 on: December 13, 2019, 09:11:43 AM »
But it does!! And yes, I am going to go into it, because this is fascinating and important to me   :lol

So like, okay. PlayStation controllers. Level analog sticks. The left thumb has to reach over to an (to me) unnatural position to move the thumbstick which eventually leads to cramping and discomfort in the thumb. On the Xbox and Switch pro controllers, your thumbs fall on the left analog stick and the right face buttons naturally. For my hands it's a natural fit, an ergonomic design. Further, the thumbsticks are convex on the PlayStation controllers which drives me insane. The concave design of the Xbox thumbstick allows for a much better grip which leads to more precise movement and aiming. Then the D-pad and second analog stick are below each thumb, where you're likely going to use them less than the stick and face buttons on the top of the controller.

Now people do find the PS controller comfy and that's totally okay, but for me, those are the biggest reasons why the sticks being out of alignment makes perfect sense to me. That's partially why the GameCube controller was the best controller ever made imo for the longest time; the face buttons were uniquely designed to be distinct so you know what each individual button feels like, and the analog stick was staggered from the C stick for ergonomic purposes.

I'm on my third cup of coffee, sorry.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5745 on: December 13, 2019, 09:38:21 AM »
2 new Games just got Released in the NES virtual Console:

Journey to Silius
Crystalis (crazy game i started playing)

And 4 on the SNES:

Star Fox 2
Kirby Super Star
Super Punch-Out
Breath of Fire II
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5746 on: December 13, 2019, 09:48:16 AM »
OMG. Breath of Fire 2 and KSS? See you guys after the weekend :2metal:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5747 on: December 13, 2019, 09:54:04 AM »
I prefer the xbox controller to playstations personally.  Everyone has different hands.  I had a PSP back a long time ago and holding that would cause my thumbs to feel really uncomfortable after 5 minutes and it was one of many reasons why I sold it not long after owning it. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5748 on: December 13, 2019, 09:54:20 AM »
Same here, man. Got to mail my SS gift though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online kaos2900

« Reply #5749 on: December 13, 2019, 10:28:52 AM »
I prefer the xbox controller to playstations personally.  Everyone has different hands.  I had a PSP back a long time ago and holding that would cause my thumbs to feel really uncomfortable after 5 minutes and it was one of many reasons why I sold it not long after owning it.

Me too. The Xbox one controller is the best controller I've ever used.

And i think it's funny that anyone really cares what the console looks like. Let's wait until the specs are officially released. Regardless I'll be getting both the PS5 and Xbox series X.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5750 on: December 13, 2019, 10:32:11 AM »
And i think it's funny that anyone really cares what the console looks like. Let's wait until the specs are officially released. Regardless I'll be getting both the PS5 and Xbox series X.

I won't buy a console again so it doesn't matter to me, but these units often sit inside living rooms.  If it looks stupid, it can make your main TV area look stupid.  I think it matters in some ways.  If it's the best system, it should be able to overcome it, but that's very debatable.

While I have to clean the dust off my xbox1 unit every time I clean the house, it sits in my living room TV stand and looks pretty decent there.  This new xbox, I'd rather shove behind the TV set or something if I were to own it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5751 on: December 13, 2019, 10:36:24 AM »
Looks totally matter, I'm with cram there. Anyone remember the 'refrigerator' comments about the original PS3, or that god awful boomerang controller?  :lol

The XBSEX  :lol does look pretty funny to me vertically, but horizontally it shouldn't be bad. I do agree in the end it's all about specs. It is very fitting that it's such a boxy shape though!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5752 on: December 13, 2019, 02:46:25 PM »
I would have liked to have tried the boomerang controller. I think it looked comfy.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5753 on: December 14, 2019, 04:02:09 AM »
But it does!! And yes, I am going to go into it, because this is fascinating and important to me   :lol

So like, okay. PlayStation controllers. Level analog sticks. The left thumb has to reach over to an (to me) unnatural position to move the thumbstick which eventually leads to cramping and discomfort in the thumb. On the Xbox and Switch pro controllers, your thumbs fall on the left analog stick and the right face buttons naturally. For my hands it's a natural fit, an ergonomic design. Further, the thumbsticks are convex on the PlayStation controllers which drives me insane. The concave design of the Xbox thumbstick allows for a much better grip which leads to more precise movement and aiming. Then the D-pad and second analog stick are below each thumb, where you're likely going to use them less than the stick and face buttons on the top of the controller.

Now people do find the PS controller comfy and that's totally okay, but for me, those are the biggest reasons why the sticks being out of alignment makes perfect sense to me. That's partially why the GameCube controller was the best controller ever made imo for the longest time; the face buttons were uniquely designed to be distinct so you know what each individual button feels like, and the analog stick was staggered from the C stick for ergonomic purposes.

I'm on my third cup of coffee, sorry.  :lol
I've never had an issue with the PS analog stick, but then I don't have tiny hands. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5754 on: December 14, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
I have large hands!!  :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5755 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:46 AM »
I mean it looks like a PC case which I guess is intentional so when do we come to the point we're calling it PCs instead of consoles?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5756 on: December 14, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »
I'm with Rich. Never once had any discomfort with a PS controller.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5757 on: December 14, 2019, 12:19:53 PM »
I'm with Rich. Never once had any discomfort with a PS controller.
Same. I like it way more than the Xbox controller.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5758 on: December 14, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
I have large hands!!  :lol
Whatever you say, Tiny Hands.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5759 on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:09 PM »
I don't mind PS controllers, but after using an Xbos 360 one for a while, I can't go back. It's just too comfy for my hands.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5760 on: December 15, 2019, 06:49:52 AM »
I (finally) bought Gris last night on Switch. Just loaded it up and played about 15 minutes. Wow. What a beautiful experience so far.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5761 on: December 15, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
Gris look beautiful. Wow

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5762 on: December 15, 2019, 03:36:12 PM »
I still can't believe I play and enjoy the new COD lol. Anyway tried Ground War the other day, it's suppose to be CODs version of Battlefields Conquest but it's just a big mess and feels like a washed down version of what BF have been doing for years.

The smaller fast paced modes works best in COD imo. However playing Domination I keep getting flashbacks from BF3: Close Quarters DLC if anyone remembers that.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5763 on: December 15, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
I LOVED BF3 Close Quarters, that seemed like BF's version of COD at the time but it was so much fun because those maps were perfect plus BF3's gameplay was great.

Just uploaded my latest RDR2 video Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Fun Volume 2, I've got volume 3 almost done and so much footage that I can probably pop out another 10 minute video soon if I wanted.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5764 on: December 15, 2019, 04:31:40 PM »
I LOVED BF3 Close Quarters, that seemed like BF's version of COD at the time but it was so much fun because those maps were perfect plus BF3's gameplay was great.
I remember that it divided the community alot back in the day, alot of players didn't like the direction DICE was heading but that already happened with BF3. Despite that I also thought it was a great DLC and surprisingly more fun than I thought. I couldn't stop playing it but it did work best in 16v16 or 8v8 imo. 32v32 was such a hilarious clusterfuck although that was fun too in a way.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5765 on: December 15, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
I dont even remember 32v 32 on those maps, I always played 16 v 16 because it worked so well.  I remember the BF fan bois being so upset they tried to make it more like COD, but to me, it really worked well.  Like it was perfect set up for smaller maps in a BF game.

Edit: just found my video of kill clips from playing these maps to the gun game put to music of Bruce Dickinson's Trumpets of Jericho from 2013, one of my first youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQSOh60y1K4

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5766 on: December 15, 2019, 04:45:19 PM »
I dont even remember 32v 32 on those maps, I always played 16 v 16 because it worked so well.  I remember the BF fan bois being so upset they tried to make it more like COD, but to me, it really worked well.  Like it was perfect set up for smaller maps in a BF game.
I can't swear it but I think some servers had it but maybe I mistake it for 16v16. I just remember Ziba Towers being especially chaotic with the spawns.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5767 on: December 15, 2019, 04:52:32 PM »
I can't swear it but I think some servers had it but maybe I mistake it for 16v16. I just remember Ziba Towers being especially chaotic with the spawns.

I'm not doubting you, I think I just chose not to play those hence not remembering.  Those maps weren't meant for that chaos.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5768 on: December 15, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »

I'm not doubting you, I think I just chose not to play those hence not remembering.  Those maps weren't meant for that chaos.
I checked it and it did actually have 32v32 servers.  :)

Seeing this made me feel nostalgic: Battlefield 3™ Close Quarters Launch Trailer

Speaking of your video, I also made some of my first YT videos with BF but they're ain't worth seeing.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5769 on: December 15, 2019, 05:07:09 PM »
Neither is the one I shared (or maybe everything I put on YT  :lol)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5770 on: December 16, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
I just got the 2D game Doorkickers Action squad

Pretty decent

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5771 on: December 16, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »
I don't go in for the whole "YouTube" phenomenon of watching people play games - I'd rather play - but I saw my stepson watching this guy "Drae" playing a game called "Thief Simulator".   I was a huge fan of the old Thief on PC, and I absolutely loved the PS3 reboot - yes, technical issues - but it was a fun play, and I actually went through the game about four times.   This Thief Simulator" looks awesome.

My questions; is it a legit release, or is this kind of a (I don't know the terminology here) bootleg or a skin, kind of like the old "Doom" stuff?  Seems like it's only a Windows release; is that true? 

Thanks for any input you might have.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5772 on: December 16, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »
I don't go in for the whole "YouTube" phenomenon of watching people play games - I'd rather play - but I saw my stepson watching this guy "Drae" playing a game called "Thief Simulator".   I was a huge fan of the old Thief on PC, and I absolutely loved the PS3 reboot - yes, technical issues - but it was a fun play, and I actually went through the game about four times.   This Thief Simulator" looks awesome.

My questions; is it a legit release, or is this kind of a (I don't know the terminology here) bootleg or a skin, kind of like the old "Doom" stuff?  Seems like it's only a Windows release; is that true? 

Thanks for any input you might have.

Thief Simulator seems to be fairly popular; it's available on the Nintendo Switch and PC (through Steam).  It's a legit release. There's been a huge rise in "(blank) simulator" games over the years. There's one guy on YouTube who makes a killing just by driving tractors on Farm Simulator or something, and it's mostly just because he talks casually with his audience while he's doing mundane driving and errands in the simulator. The modern world is crazy.

(For the record I watch only one guy who plays games, and only because he occasionally offers good insight into game design and development, although I disagree strongly with him on a lot of things. Sometimes it's fun to watch people play my favorite games, but if they start bagging on design choices or ideas I think are very good, then I start to get frustrated and might tune out for a while. I'd rather play it myself, but if I can't afford to spend on a new title, it is sometimes nice to watch others play, so you see more than what trailers and screenshots offer.)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5773 on: December 16, 2019, 09:37:40 AM »
I record and release videos of my playing video games but I dont even watch others. I'd rather play as well. My friend streama and also asks me to watch but I couldn't care. I find watching others play so boring. Load the game up and get me in there.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5774 on: December 16, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
I record and release videos of my playing video games but I dont even watch others. I'd rather play as well. My friend streama and also asks me to watch but I couldn't care. I find watching others play so boring. Load the game up and get me in there.

That Stadia feature that is supposed to be coming soon, that one that lets people join into a game via stream - that sounds pretty awesome. I just hope they can make it work consistently and reliably. I wonder how that would affect sales though.