Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488281 times)

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1680 on: November 09, 2015, 12:34:16 PM »
PC build draft 2, as built by my brother. Thoughts?

https://pcpartpicker.com/p/hJzcXL
Any particular reasons for going with a Micro ATX?
Convenience/portablility and price mostly.

Portability? You plan on bringing your pc around with you? I wouldn't go with a mini case unless you were looking for a really small pc to fit in a small spot. You will lose room for expansion.

Otherwise my only suggestion would be at least a 2tb spindle hard drive. They are so cheap and data is only growing. My personal pictures and videos from my phone take up so much space alone on my pc, let alone once you start installing games you will fill that up quickly.

That's mostly it. Portability is really only a side effect. I don't have tons of space to put a computer in, so mini it is, at least with this build. I ended up getting a 250 gb SSD for now, and will pick up a 2 or 3 tb HDD in a month or so.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1681 on: November 09, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »
My thought would be why wait until after the build to upgrade hard drive? Im guessing money, but I don't think the prices are that far apart from a 1 to 2 TB.

Offline adace

« Reply #1682 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
Played a few hours of Rise of the Tomb Raider today. Holy crap, what an amazing game! Definitely want to get it at some point.

So I bought the game and I'm loving the hell out of it. Graphics are jaw-dropping, story is fantastic, gameplay has been greatly improved over TR 2013. Overall, one of the best games I've played this year.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:08:56 PM by adace »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1683 on: November 12, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
My roomie and I set up each other's Xbones as our Home Xbox so now we can play each other's digital games. Which means Rise of the Tomb Raider B)

Offline adace

« Reply #1684 on: November 12, 2015, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1685 on: November 12, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Really wish Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't exclusive, would have been nice to get one last big game I care about on PS3.

Offline adace

« Reply #1686 on: November 13, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
Finished Tomb Raider. What an incredible adventure.

Now to finish AC Syndicate.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1687 on: November 13, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
Really wish Rise of the Tomb Raider wasn't exclusive, would have been nice to get one last big game I care about on PS3.
I hate exclusive titles with passion!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1688 on: November 16, 2015, 05:39:37 AM »
My Reddit post has started making it's way around the interwebs.

https://www.google.com/#q=dualshock+4+catches+fire&safe=active

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1689 on: November 16, 2015, 10:37:36 AM »
wow lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1690 on: November 20, 2015, 05:23:37 AM »
I absolutely loved the original battlefront games and was really looking forward to the new one, but I am feeling fairly disappointed.

For $60 dollars, there's not much there and it started getting repetitive feeling way too quick.

Looks crazy gorgeous though.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1691 on: November 20, 2015, 05:36:51 AM »
I absolutely loved the original battlefront games and was really looking forward to the new one, but I am feeling fairly disappointed.

For $60 dollars, there's not much there and it started getting repetitive feeling way too quick.

Looks crazy gorgeous though.

That's because EA is more concerned with the $50 season pass they are going to shake you down for rather than the quality of the game itself.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1692 on: November 20, 2015, 05:47:31 AM »
My problems with Battlefront is no campaign mode (which is a trend for FPS) but I feel for a Star Wars game, they could have made such a fun campaign and the graphics are AMAZING, the game is beautiful.  There was so much potential for a good single player mode.  The second problem is the game is too simple.  There is no going prone for example, if you crouch that doesnt help with shooting accuracy, the weapons are basic, customization is low, strategy does not seem to be encouraged like Battlefield games.

Now, I only played it for about 2 hours last night... and with my negatives above.... I still FUCKING LOVED IT.  I think the simplicity is coming from halo, with the mentality that they want anyone to just be able to pick this game up and play it without feeling overwhelmed.  Honestly, some of the simplicity while I find it a big negative, is also a positive in some ways just because it is so simple to pick up and play.  I think my dissapointment in terms of simplicity comes from being a battlefield fan and since this is the star wars version of battlefield, I expected a bit more of the complications of that game and we just don't have them. 

I can see how this game may get boring quickly as its not heavy with content, but I found the game to overall be really fun and its very awesome to see.  Maybe I only enjoy it so much because I seem to be fairly good at the game, my stats after 2 hours of playing are significantly better than my average stats for COD/Halo/BF games.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1693 on: November 20, 2015, 06:22:42 AM »
I knew battlefront wouldn't be worth it, just had a sneaking suspicion. Battlefront II was special, I still play that game for hours at a time if I feel like it, but it sounds like the new one is just like many of these new first person shooters in that it gets boring

EA...
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1694 on: November 20, 2015, 06:26:05 AM »
I knew battlefront wouldn't be worth it, just had a sneaking suspicion. Battlefront II was special, I still play that game for hours at a time if I feel like it, but it sounds like the new one is just like many of these new first person shooters in that it gets boring

EA...

I loved both of the first two games. The gameplay on the new game looks pretty good from what I've seen, but it looks like it lacks a lot of the elements that gave Battlefront the longevity.
Now I really feel like playing the old games. Such good times.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1695 on: November 20, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
After watching some videos i'm starting to get an itch to play SW: Battlefront. It just looks so fun, might wait until a sale though.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1696 on: November 20, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
After watching some videos i'm starting to get an itch to play SW: Battlefront. It just looks so fun, might wait until a sale though.

I purchased mine for $45 on greenmangaming.com (i think that sale is over though, but you might be able to use the coupon for %15 off)

It definitely is fun even if it is limited, I know you are a battlefield fan so I'd imagine you'd love it.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1697 on: November 20, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
I say get it, the roomies and I are having an absolute blast with the game. Could use more maps but it's gorgeous and plays so damn well. Game modes are all fun too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: November 20, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
I think it may have the best match making I have ever experienced.  You literally are in a lobby as quick as you press the button and then from there you have the option to actually join the game.  When the game is over, the next one is going in about 20 seconds.  Its all so quick and fluid. Part of the simplicity of the game, it really comes off as a game you can have a friend who never played before come over, be in a game instantly, and actually be able to play and enjoy it. Hell you dont even have to reload its so simple lol

Offline adace

« Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2015, 06:58:50 PM »
Finally finished AC Syndicate. A very solid entry in the series. A bit better than Unity but not as good as Black Flag. Not much else to say.

Not much longer until Just Cause 3 is out!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1700 on: November 21, 2015, 07:19:22 PM »
I've never played any AC games yet. I'm well aware of the furor over Unity's many flaws/glitches/bugs/etc. so it initially sat in my games back log after I got a good deal on it shortly after its release. A few months later I got ACII, Brotherhood, and Revelations for $2.50 each at a GameStop sale so that even further lowered my desire to play it any time soon knowing I had three other potentially way better AC games to introduce me to the series. Should I start with the earlier ones so they won't pale in comparison to Unity's better graphics or should I start with Unity so its inferior game play won't seem as bad since I won't have any other ACs to compare it to if I start with Unity?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1701 on: November 21, 2015, 07:21:43 PM »
I've never played any AC games yet. I'm well aware of the furor over Unity's many flaws/glitches/bugs/etc. so it initially sat in my games back log after I got a good deal on it shortly after its release. A few months later I got ACII, Brotherhood, and Revelations for $2.50 each at a GameStop sale so that even further lowered my desire to play it any time soon knowing I had three other potentially way better AC games to introduce me to the series. Should I start with the earlier ones so they won't pale in comparison to Unity's better graphics or should I start with Unity so its inferior game play won't seem as bad since I won't have any other ACs to compare it to if I start with Unity?

If you wanna start with the best, go with AC II. If you wanna start with a modern one, I'd say syndicate instead of unity, since it's getting much more praise.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1702 on: November 21, 2015, 07:47:18 PM »
Thanks RMG!
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1703 on: November 21, 2015, 08:26:32 PM »
AC II was the weakest entry on the PS3. Plays sluggish in hindsight, and stripped most freedom from the player.

I think III was the best entry, at least it brought back a lot of freedom in side missions, and the optional objectives posed a challenge. Also, I had the best format for main missions, it just failed in making the side missions too repetitive. II ripped out of the series what was great about the original entry. Info gathering and the ability to scope out your missions before attempting them. I almost quit the series while playing II, when I realized I had already pulled off some major sequences while thinking I was still on a guided tutorial.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1704 on: November 21, 2015, 09:13:16 PM »
Been playing through New Vegas for the first time since I don't have a PC powerful enough to run Fallout 4 and I don't have Fallout 3, but I may get it during the next Steam sale. NV is fun as hell minus the whole endgame buttfuckery if you've completed previous clan missions. It's like the game punishes you for, god forbid, exploring and doing side quests in an open world game.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1705 on: November 22, 2015, 03:45:03 AM »
Been playing through New Vegas for the first time since I don't have a PC powerful enough to run Fallout 4 and I don't have Fallout 3, but I may get it during the next Steam sale. NV is fun as hell minus the whole endgame buttfuckery if you've completed previous clan missions. It's like the game punishes you for, god forbid, exploring and doing side quests in an open world game.
Except they aren't side quests - there are two opposing factions that the game's main story revolves around, so very obviously you can't side with both. I much preferred that to the Skyrim approach where you could be on both sides and even though you crush the Stormcloak rebellion, the Stormclocks still treat you like you're someone helping them out, which was ridiculous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #1706 on: November 22, 2015, 04:05:19 AM »
Just watched a playthrough of Silent Hills PT for the first time and holy crap is it creepy.

Such a shame it was cancelled. If the rest of the game were to be on that level of creepiness I'm pretty sure it'd be a masterpiece of horror.

Really hoping that Kojima and del Toro's new project lives up to it.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1707 on: November 22, 2015, 11:40:40 AM »
So I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution yesterday. Holy. Crap. Few times I have seen such a brilliant ending in a game. Damn, now I must get the original Deus Ex.

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #1708 on: November 22, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
AC II was the weakest entry on the PS3. Plays sluggish in hindsight, and stripped most freedom from the player.

I think III was the best entry, at least it brought back a lot of freedom in side missions, and the optional objectives posed a challenge. Also, I had the best format for main missions, it just failed in making the side missions too repetitive. II ripped out of the series what was great about the original entry. Info gathering and the ability to scope out your missions before attempting them. I almost quit the series while playing II, when I realized I had already pulled off some major sequences while thinking I was still on a guided tutorial.

It seems we have really opposite opinions here. For me, AC III was the absolute worst game of the franchise ;p

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1709 on: November 22, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »

I think III was the best entry

That's like saying Mario 2 is the best while 3 and World are the worst  :huh:

Quote from: RMGadelha link=topic=42202.msg2041579#msg2041579

It seems we have really opposite opinions here. For me, AC III was the absolute worst game of the franchise ;p

Exactly. 2 and Brotherhood are the best, 3 is the worst, what a massive letdown that game was for the fans.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:35:11 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1710 on: November 22, 2015, 05:55:17 PM »
III has a solid fan base. Yes, II is the most popular, but there was a significant group that were very let down by it, it killed the freedom of the fist game.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1711 on: November 22, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »
You're not a fan of Superman 64 by chance?  ;D

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1712 on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
Except they aren't side quests - there are two opposing factions that the game's main story revolves around, so very obviously you can't side with both. I much preferred that to the Skyrim approach where you could be on both sides and even though you crush the Stormcloak rebellion, the Stormclocks still treat you like you're someone helping them out, which was ridiculous.

They sort of are side quests but I supposed you're correct since those clan quests were actually parts of main story quests. I just thought it was kind of stupid how completing a clan quest (Great Khans for example) prior to starting the endgame would completely break the game if you wanted to do the NCR finale. I'm probably going to do the Yes Man ending next go around just to avoid all that crap.

I've also decided to change my opinion of modding since I decided to install the Project Nevada mod to counteract how ridiculously quick I was leveling and just break the level cap altogether. I've changed most of the things in the mod back to vanilla just to finish up this character but there is a lot of really interesting stuff to play around with in terms of customizing the game next go around.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1713 on: November 22, 2015, 07:18:23 PM »
You're not a fan of Superman 64 by chance?  ;D
Wonderful.

Sorry, but it's not hard to find people that liked III.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1714 on: November 22, 2015, 08:26:01 PM »
Liking it, fine, but thinking it's the best AC? That was the first time i've heard such an opinion.