Author Topic: Your Random Musical Thoughts  (Read 13553 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Random Musical Thoughts
« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2023, 03:49:14 PM »
I'll make sure I'll check it out Tom.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2023, 03:53:18 PM »
It's a lot like No Exit era Fates Warning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2023, 03:57:52 PM »
Nice.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2023, 05:15:51 PM »
^the link expired. reupload?

something i just stumbled upon: Comedian Bill Burr i guess is a Porcupine Tree fan.

At 24:30 he talks about Porcupine Tree and reads an email suggesting Cynic, Death and Black Dahlia Murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ-1H0GzUnI

Nice!  I was already a huge fan of Bill Burr, and that is awesome to see that he loves great music as well.  :tup :tup

Offline Glasser

« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:41 PM »
People need to download this. It's amazing!

Its one of the best pieces of music I own! This should have had an official release. Bills voice is so extremely powerful, the guys in DT were floored when they saw him live before asking him to audition. When I played the demo before this one for Portnoy he was stunned. So when I , along with Mike, JP, John and Kevin went to see him live they were jawdropped that his voice was as powerful live. They really wanted him for Images and Words but for reasons that I'll leave private, it didn't happen. Anyway, enjoy the Dominion demo!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2023, 03:23:49 AM »

Its one of the best pieces of music I own! This should have had an official release. Bills voice is so extremely powerful, the guys in DT were floored when they saw him live before asking him to audition. When I played the demo before this one for Portnoy he was stunned. So when I , along with Mike, JP, John and Kevin went to see him live they were jawdropped that his voice was as powerful live. They really wanted him for Images and Words but for reasons that I'll leave private, it didn't happen. Anyway, enjoy the Dominion demo!

Wait what?  You know the DT guys?  Did I miss something?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2023, 01:55:01 PM »

Wait what?  You know the DT guys?  Did I miss something?

Yes. I met Portnoy at a Metal Church, WASP and Accept show after WDAU was released, we became friends. Hung out with them for a few years then it just faded. The last time I spoke to Portnoy and Petrucci was after a gig on the Awake tour when Derek was pretty much still learning the songs. I can't remember what song it was but they stopped, told Derek what he missed and they restarted it. After the show they were signing outside and I hung with Mike and John as well as Rena and Marlene. I did speak to Rena at the Score show, shes such a nice person, always was. After that, life got in the way. JP is truly one of nicest dudes. Myung and Kevin Moore were very much to themselves, more Myung honestly. I remember going to a DT rehearsal for a second time and Kevin was getting out of his car next to me and asked why I bothered going, like it was boring. Lol! But it was fun getting asked what song I wanted to hear during practice. Remember, all they had was the demo and WDADU, ACOS original version and Metropolis early stages. Good times. My first request was Light Fuse and Get Away!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2023, 02:36:58 PM »
Wow mate!  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2023, 03:24:03 PM »
Wow mate!  :metal

Now I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even piss on me if I was on fire.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2023, 03:36:53 PM »
 :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2023, 03:40:04 PM »
This link was uploaded by me and has a week left. Has anyone but TAC grabbed it? Its pretty amazing stuff.

Dominion!

https://we.tl/t-uztPtC88Fw

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2023, 03:40:24 PM »

I bet Rena would be nice enough to pee on you.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2023, 03:40:55 PM »
This link was uploaded by me and has a week left. Has anyone but TAC grabbed it? Its pretty amazing stuff.

Dominion!

Behold The Despair  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2023, 03:41:33 PM »

I bet Rena would be nice enough to pee on you.  ;D

How do you know she hasn't already?   Kidding! :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:49:34 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2023, 03:50:27 PM »

Dominion!

I'm guessing that's your favorite tune?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2023, 07:25:36 PM »

Dominion!

I will mate.  Im just never on my PC, but I promise I will.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2023, 08:47:36 PM »

Dominion!

I did, but haven't got a chance to listen to it yet. I just heard Dominion and I liked what I heard.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Glasser

« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2023, 09:56:01 PM »

Dominion!

I did, but haven't got a chance to listen to it yet. I just heard Dominion and I liked what I heard.

Very cool! Looking forward to your thoughts.  :metal

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: January 18, 2023, 02:19:20 AM »

Dominion!

Holy fuck, I just downloaded it and sampled this track and this fucking rips.  This dudes pipes are insane and I love the mellow solo in the middle.  The bass is incredible too.  This sounds fantastic Tom.  Maybe I'll just come over Tom and you can record me.  :metal

This song reminds me definitely of older FW, even Arch era with the vocals and even Brent's band he pimped Elegy.  I get a lot of those sort of vibes.  Reminds me of something else too which I can't really put my finger on.  I'll check out the rest hopefully tomorrow.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #229 on: January 18, 2023, 12:14:58 PM »

Dominion!

Holy fuck, I just downloaded it and sampled this track and this fucking rips.  This dudes pipes are insane and I love the mellow solo in the middle.  The bass is incredible too.  This sounds fantastic Tom.  Maybe I'll just come over Tom and you can record me.  :metal

This song reminds me definitely of older FW, even Arch era with the vocals and even Brent's band he pimped Elegy.  I get a lot of those sort of vibes.  Reminds me of something else too which I can't really put my finger on.  I'll check out the rest hopefully tomorrow.

I'm glad you like it! Its from the early 90's and still holds up. Bill has massive pipes. I LOVE older Elegy! Labyrinth of Dreams, Supremacy, and Lost are incredible albums!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: January 18, 2023, 02:28:51 PM »
Yeah, looking forward to digging into the whole thing.  :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2023, 10:48:39 PM »
I just thought of something. I'm pretty positive I saw Jeffrey Gaines open for DT. I just can't remember when. I'm pretty sure it was a one off thing.... Anyone?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: January 25, 2023, 03:08:32 AM »
I don't even know who the fuck that is.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2023, 12:23:15 AM »
This kind of blew my mind. Interesting collaboration. I had no idea Joe Elliot was a fan of Ghost but apparently they are fans of Def Leppard. Check out this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEll1eM04ds&feature=youtu.be

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2023, 07:34:38 PM »

Rest in Peace #TomVerlaine of #thebandTelevision .

I knew about this album for ages, after seeing it in @rollingstone Top 100 Influential Albums from 1967-1987, when I bought the issue the Summer of '88?.

I later learned they were sort of the quintessential "Art Rock" band in some ways, and then I finally got around to listening to the entire Marquee Moon album a couple of years ago and concluded it totally justified its "classic" status.

RIP Tom Verlaine, the singer/guitarist and frontman of Television.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2023, 07:38:18 PM »
^Yeah Marquee Moon is a fantastic album! R.I.P. Tom Verlaine. :(

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2023, 12:48:55 PM »
Voivod- The Nile Song

holy shit, I forgot how good of a cover this is!

https://open.spotify.com/track/5Jia4PZEyi97r0prKdHJes

The Pineapple Thief - The World I Always Dreamed Of

I'm not really a fan of The Pineapple Thief, but this tune, despite the Radiohead element in the 1st half, I was reminded why the last couple minutes, the OUTRO is gorgeous.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4cZi17DKdTaLj4dJrx0PKa

Online LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2023, 06:43:22 PM »
This is more meta and not entirely musical, but I've increasingly been thinking about how really DTF is a collection of overlapping separate forums.  There are people who only really go into specific sub-forums or even into certain types of threads, and some of these people never really wind up interacting with each other.  Just a few of the major divisions are general discussion, music discussion, DT-specific, probably P&R and the other sub-forums, roulettes, the what album are you listening to thread, etc.  There are people with sizeable post counts who you rarely see outside of one or two of those types of sub-forums or threads.  I'm sort of one of them, really. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:00:38 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2023, 08:08:48 PM »
This is more meta and not entirely musical, but I've increasingly been thinking about how really DTF is a collection of overlapping separate forums.  There are people who only really go into specific sub-forums or even into certain types of threads, and some of these people never really wind up interacting with each other.  Just a few of the major divisions are general discussion, music discussion, DT-specific, probably P&R and the other sub-forums, roulettes, the what album are you listening to thread, etc.  There are people with sizeable post counts who you rarely see outside of one or two of those types of sub-forums or threads.  I'm sort of one them, really.

But the beautiful thing is, you can step outside that any time you want.  I spend most of my time in certain areas, but every once in a while I venture out.   :)

Online HOF

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2023, 09:55:39 PM »
I rarely post outside of the General Music forum, but I do read others when I get bored.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2023, 10:33:09 PM »
yeah I notice that too. Especially when I see a name I haven't seen in years post, and then it turns out, they post regularly in General Chat but rarely in General Music Discussion.

I have a habit frequently getting the most out of discussion forums in Music that is everything but the Primary band the forum/group is for which is kind of fucked up, lol.

I'm noticing some similar things in FB Groups and Discord Channels.

There is 1 forum I'm on which just has a "New Posts" link that is for all posts in every Subforum, which I'm not sure, but might actually be something that would be good for this place.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #241 on: April 13, 2023, 12:06:25 AM »
Yea it's a weird one. Over 90% of my posts are in the General Music Discussion part of the forum. I posted in the Dream Theater section a few times when I first joined, and had periods of posting in Polls/General Discussion.

In my head (although probably not that accurate) I see the 'What Album Thread' as the main place that everyone (who at least posts in General Music Discussion) frequents. Like, everyone is going to dip in there at some point, and most people will see my posts.

I am not really a fan of Rush or Iron Maiden, so never take part in any of the convos over there. There will be huge discussions/jokes/arguments that just completely passed by. I truly love this place and have started posting a bit more in General Discussion at the moment, exactly because I will end up interacting a bit more with members I often miss.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2023, 01:57:42 AM »
Yea it's a weird one. Over 90% of my posts are in the General Music Discussion part of the forum. I posted in the Dream Theater section a few times when I first joined, and had periods of posting in Polls/General Discussion.

In my head (although probably not that accurate) I see the 'What Album Thread' as the main place that everyone (who at least posts in General Music Discussion) frequents. Like, everyone is going to dip in there at some point, and most people will see my posts.

I am not really a fan of Rush or Iron Maiden, so never take part in any of the convos over there. There will be huge discussions/jokes/arguments that just completely passed by. I truly love this place and have started posting a bit more in General Discussion at the moment, exactly because I will end up interacting a bit more with members I often miss.

I enjoy your interaction man. We have a lot of similar music interests. I enjoy the folks here.  :tup

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #243 on: April 13, 2023, 02:04:27 AM »

I enjoy your interaction man. We have a lot of similar music interests. I enjoy the folks here.  :tup

I thought so too, until I found out your favourite band is KISS :neverusethis:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #244 on: April 13, 2023, 02:10:43 AM »

I thought so too, until I found out your favourite band is KISS :neverusethis:

Really? Damn! I'm 53 and grew up on them. I love a lot of punk, hardcore, death metal. My roots are with Kiss, Ozzy, Priest etc....